Around the NBA: Kobe Buzz (Quotes, Comments)

Postby MarkMadsen on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:04 am

Tmac speaks!!

Tmac:
""I'm still in awe of what that kid did," said McGrady, whose 62 points against the Wizards in 2004 had been tied with Bryant's 62 against the Mavericks for the most in a game by a current NBA player. "It was just a hell of a performance for him to shoot the ball only 46 times to score 81 points. But not just to be able to shoot it 46 times, but to shoot it 46 times and hit well over 50 percent. There are nights I'm in the 30s of shots taken and I've been fatigued. To take 46 and 20 free throws and end up with 81 points, I didn't believe it.

"We were on the bus and Luther ( Head) yelled out, 'Kobe's got 70-something and there's four minutes left.' I said, 'Luther, stop lying.' I hurried up and got my key and went to my room and called one of my boys to put on the game and Kobe was at the free throw line with 79 points. I said, 'Are you serious?' I don't think I could score that many in a video game."

McGrady said he was amazed at Bryant's stamina and the Raptors' lack of adjustments.

"I talked to Mike ( James) after the game," McGrady said. "He said they didn't double team him — not one time. You would think after he hit 40, send two or three guys at him. When he hit 50? When he got 70? What are you doing: playing him one-on-one?""
MarkMadsen

Postby epak on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:11 am

MarkMadsen wrote:Tmac speaks!!

Tmac:
""I'm still in awe of what that kid did," said McGrady, whose 62 points against the Wizards in 2004 had been tied with Bryant's 62 against the Mavericks for the most in a game by a current NBA player. "It was just a hell of a performance for him to shoot the ball only 46 times to score 81 points. But not just to be able to shoot it 46 times, but to shoot it 46 times and hit well over 50 percent. There are nights I'm in the 30s of shots taken and I've been fatigued. To take 46 and 20 free throws and end up with 81 points, I didn't believe it.

"We were on the bus and Luther ( Head) yelled out, 'Kobe's got 70-something and there's four minutes left.' I said, 'Luther, stop lying.' I hurried up and got my key and went to my room and called one of my boys to put on the game and Kobe was at the free throw line with 79 points. I said, 'Are you serious?' I don't think I could score that many in a video game."

McGrady said he was amazed at Bryant's stamina and the Raptors' lack of adjustments.

"I talked to Mike ( James) after the game," McGrady said. "He said they didn't double team him — not one time. You would think after he hit 40, send two or three guys at him. When he hit 50? When he got 70? What are you doing: playing him one-on-one?""

Nice, maybe now people will realize that Tmac was joking when he said "been there done that" regarding Kobe's 62.

Also, is Mike Jones on crack? They doubled Kobe each time he got the ball in the late 4th quarter. Kobe swung the ball and got a re-feed. Some players are just idiots. The coach even said they used a 1-4 zone.
Jerry West:
"You give the same amount of shots to everybody else and they're not making that many, I know it. Players are jealous of greatness. Kobe is a unique talent and a unique person." (after Kobe's 81 points)
epak

Postby UGOTOWN3D on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:36 am

Most of the Dallas team are just hating, specially Dirk, and with the exception of Stackhouse.
UGOTOWN3D

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:37 am

epak wrote:

Tmac:

Nice, maybe now people will realize that Tmac was joking when he said "been there done that" regarding Kobe's 62.

Also, is Mike Jones on crack? They doubled Kobe each time he got the ball in the late 4th quarter. Kobe swung the ball and got a re-feed. Some players are just idiots. The coach even said they used a 1-4 zone.
You mean Mike James. Mike Jones is a rapper. :man1:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby MarkMadsen on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:38 am

UGOTOWN3D wrote:Most of the Dallas team are just hating, specially Dirk, and with the exception of Stackhouse.

they cant help it. they know how it feels to be on the other end. :mhihi:
MarkMadsen

Postby epak on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:42 am

BryantDunkGiant wrote:
epak wrote:

Tmac:

You mean Mike James. Mike Jones is a rapper. :man1:

Who?

I was joking. :mhihi:
Jerry West:
"You give the same amount of shots to everybody else and they're not making that many, I know it. Players are jealous of greatness. Kobe is a unique talent and a unique person." (after Kobe's 81 points)
epak

Postby High IQ on Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:27 am

nice to see other players respect it. thanks for sharing :jam2: :bow:
High IQ

Postby COBRAKOBE on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:40 am

I want to hear what MJ has to say about it...
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
COBRAKOBE

Postby gill on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:57 am

I'm still waiting for what Charles "#1 Kobe Hater" Barkley has to say about this.
gill

Postby nameant on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:02 am

gill wrote:I'm still waiting for what Charles "#1 Kobe Hater" Barkley has to say about this.

he'll probably say something to contradict himself but he wont realize it b/c he's an idiot. he'll point out the # of shots and say "no1 should ever shoot that much. well, unless you're michael jordan." that's all he ever does. talk down on players but say it would've been okay if MJ did it. :mhihi: charles is just a bitter bitter old man that's all.
nameant

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:26 am

With the NBA buzzing about Kobe Bryant's 81 points on Sunday, Rockets forward Tracy McGrady was at first speechless and then could not say enough about what Bryant did.

"I'm still in awe of what that kid did," said McGrady, whose 62 points against the Wizards in 2004 had been tied with Bryant's 62 against the Mavericks for the most in a game by a current NBA player. "It was just a hell of a performance for him to shoot the ball only 46 times to score 81 points. But not just to be able to shoot it 46 times, but to shoot it 46 times and hit well over 50 percent. There are nights I'm in the 30s of shots taken and I've been fatigued. To take 46 and 20 free throws and end up with 81 points, I didn't believe it.

"I talked to Mike ( James) after the game," McGrady said. "He said they didn't double team him — not one time. You would think after he hit 40, send two or three guys at him. When he hit 50? When he got 70? What are you doing: playing him one-on-one?"
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby Daloyalfan18 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:34 am

Jerry West:
"I don't know if anyone could have stopped him last night. It's so senseless to me to say he shouldn't take over like that. You give the same amount of shots to everybody else and they're not making that many, I know it. Players are jealous of greatness. Kobe is a unique talent and a unique person. His belief that he can jump to the moon is never going to change. But I admire him, what he's been able to overcome. You would think he would be a fair-haired man of the NBA with what's he's already done. But he's taken a fairly good battering."[/quote]

I LOVE this quote from The Logo!!!
Daloyalfan18

Postby Cleansed on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:57 am

Jerry West:
"I don't know if anyone could have stopped him last night. It's so senseless to me to say he shouldn't take over like that. You give the same amount of shots to everybody else and they're not making that many, I know it. Players are jealous of greatness. Kobe is a unique talent and a unique person. His belief that he can jump to the moon is never going to change. But I admire him, what he's been able to overcome. You would think he would be a fair-haired man of the NBA with what's he's already done. But he's taken a fairly good battering."

That quote is the best thus far as he hit it dead on the head.

Cubans shot at the end of his quote ruined an opportunity for me to respect the guy .
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Startrex on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:59 am

IMO, these are the best and humorous ones:

Indiana Pacers Coach, Rick Carlisle:
"I don't feel so bad about the 45 he got on us now." :man9: :mhihi:

Golden State Warriors Coach, Mike Montgomery:
"I wish we had King Kong (to guard him). Anything we can do, we'll do."

Mavs Guard, Darrell Armstrong:
"Imagine if our game had been close. "
Purple and 24K Gold
Startrex

Postby Jordan-esque on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:34 pm

Daloyalfan18 wrote:Jerry West:
"I don't know if anyone could have stopped him last night. It's so senseless to me to say he shouldn't take over like that. You give the same amount of shots to everybody else and they're not making that many, I know it. Players are jealous of greatness. Kobe is a unique talent and a unique person. His belief that he can jump to the moon is never going to change. But I admire him, what he's been able to overcome. You would think he would be a fair-haired man of the NBA with what's he's already done. But he's taken a fairly good battering."

I LOVE this quote from The Logo!!![/quote]

:jam2:
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby Jordan-esque on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:36 pm

Hey... are there any quotes from:

- Jack Nicholson (he missed the game after all)
- Chris Rock (after that 2nd qtr interview)
- Michael Jordan
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby kbryant on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:54 pm

anyone who finds a negative thing about kobe's 81...i feel jealousy :mad1:

its just unbelievable...but hey! its kobe! :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

and thanks for the quotes.. :bow: :bow:
if you dont believe in yourself, no one else will...

============KOBE===============
kbryant

Postby Kob3eight on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:14 pm

Tmac:

ImageImage

So if this isn't double teaming Kobe what is?
Song Currently Playing
Kob3eight
Resident Monkey

Postby DMK on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:33 pm

GREAT post mate :jam2: :bow: :bow:

Alot of great classy quotes from alot of great players and coaches.

Keep this updated and sticky :jam2:

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby BrianCook_The_Laker on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:19 pm

New York Knicks Coach, Larry Brown:
"That's a lot of points. He only took 46 shots. ... And he took 20 free throws, so just think about that. I think teams are made certain ways. The thing I realized is that when you have an Iverson, or a Carter, or a (Tracy) McGrady or a Bryant, they usually can get themselves good shots. But the big thing is they won the game. If you score 81 and win, that's great."

New York Knicks PG, Stephon Marbury:
"The guy's phenomenal. It's not like anyone didn't know he could do it."

Paul Silas:
"I think it's great for the league that you can have a player that can do that, but I hope it doesn't lose the focus on winning, and that seems to be getting lost a little bit and individual exploits are becoming more important. This [Bryant's performance] seems to override the fact that Detroit has only lost five games. That's more important than whether a guy can score 81 points."

Antoine Walker:
''Gary [Payton] called and told me to watch it. I caught, like, the last three or four minutes when everybody was just on their feet and he was making free throws down the stretch.''

Minnesota Guard/Forward Wally Szczerbiak:
"It was awesome. I've got a lot of respect for that guy. All the criticism he's taken over the years, I don't think it's warranted at all. He puts himself out there, he wants to win, you can see it in his eyes. Everyone criticizes him for shooting too much but he's just doing what he feels he needs to do to help his team win ball games."

Milwaukee Bucks Guard T.J. Ford:
"I think he has a lot to prove. I'm curious to know if he's trying to average 40 points a night for the season."

Milwaukee Bucks Forward, Bobby Simmons:
"That's pretty impressive. I just couldn't believe the Toronto team let him get 81. He would not get 81 on me, no way, and I wouldn't let my teammates get away with that. You know, that's a team effort. For one guy to score all those points, I think the coach should have made a change. You've just got to get the ball out of his hands. If you don't have the ball, you can't score."

Milwaukee Bucks Forward, Toni Kukoc:
"I mean, it's obviously hard to score 81 points. I watched the end of the game and the other four guys from the Lakers didn't touch the ball past halfcourt. When someone scores 40 on you, maybe you should pay more attention to the guy. When somebody scores 50, maybe you'd say we should triple-team him. When somebody scores 81, I don't know. . . . But all credit to Kobe. Watching those last seven or eight free throws he had, you could see he was seriously determined to make all of them and score as many points as he could."

Milwaukee Bucks Coach, Terry Stotts:
"Eighty-one blew those out, and that's remarkable. "It's not to say it won't be done again, but it sure is unlikely."

Houston Rockets Coach, Jeff Van GUndy:
"Eighty-one, the second most all-time, is in a different stratosphere. He's having a wonderful year. He doesn't need to be compared right now to anybody. He's doing things right now that are off the charts."
BrianCook_The_Laker

Postby nameant on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:08 pm

BrianCook_The_Laker wrote:Milwaukee Bucks Forward, Bobby Simmons:
"That's pretty impressive. I just couldn't believe the Toronto team let him get 81. He would not get 81 on me, no way, and I wouldn't let my teammates get away with that. You know, that's a team effort. For one guy to score all those points, I think the coach should have made a change. You've just got to get the ball out of his hands. If you don't have the ball, you can't score."

haha. Bobby Simmons the defensive stopper. :mhihi:
nameant

Postby BrianCook_The_Laker on Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:41 am

More:

Orlando Magic, Kelvin Cato:
"It'd take me 16 games to get that many."

Detroit Pistons Coach, Flip Saunders:
"Phenomenal. Amazing. (Sunday) was an NFL day. But the NBA stole the show ... I think the most amazing thing about Kobe scoring 81 was how easy he made it look. It's not like he made a lot of difficult shots. A lot of the shots he took were open shots. ... I was going crazy on the bench here trying to hold (Tracy) McGrady to 43 (Sunday), and Kobe had twice that. I said, 'I hate to see what I would have been like with a guy going for 81.' But I mean, he has the ability. He's a phenomenal player. He has a great amount of competitiveness, and I think the No. 1 thing, he said it after the game, was not about scoring 81, but that's what he thought he needed to do for his team to get the win. So I think he did what he had to do in order to get wins."

Detroit Pistons Guard, Chauncey Billups:
"That was unbelievable. I saw some of the game. It was great. I've never seen a performance like that ever ... He had it going. If you've got it going, you're supposed to keep it going. And I think people on his team should feel the same way. If you get someone on your team who's having a special night like that, it's only right to try and let it be as good as it can. You'll never see my 80. I'm not in that kind of shape to score that much. That's crazy. I think in high school one time I had 56. And my arm and my shoulder were so tired, I had to ice that thing down. That really takes so much energy to score those kind of points. ... No way I could do that."

Detroit Pistons Guard, Lindsey Hunter:
"See a guy score 81 points and nobody fouled out? That was my concern. I'm going to be fouled out of the game or something. Something has to give. My most ever was probably 48 in college and that was a big deal. It didn't even look right. I'm a defensive guy, so I look at the box, and say, 'Who fouled out?' Because if a guy is just scoring like that, I know I'm using my six (fouls)." (Raptors Chris Bosh fouled out and Morris Peterson and Matt Bonner each have five fouls.)

Detroit Pistons Forward, Dale Davis:
"No matter what type of game it is, to get 81 says a lot of his talent level. I don't think it's selfish. If a guy gets it going, if you're trying to win, you should want to get him the ball. He's the key to their team, so he's going to have to make shots for them. I scored in the 40s. I can't imagine getting up 40-some shots."

Minnesota T'Wolves Forward, Kevin Garnett (On Kobe -sorta- and Billups):
“Both he and Kobe (Bryant) are playing at high levels right now. They both have their teams on their backs. Chauncey is playing at an unbelievable level in games that, it doesn’t really signify that he’s scoring a lot, but he’s getting everybody the ball where they need it. He’s the general, he’s playing defense, he knows how to shift momentum. When they need a big shot, he’s there. He’s my MVP candidate.”

Cavs Forward, LeBron James:
“It’s kind of unbelievable these days with the way we play to score 81 points. The key point is they got the ‘W.’ ” Asked if he could score 80 or more, James shrugged. “That’s not my game to score 81 points.”

Future Laker (or not), Ron Artest:
"Right now I'm a Pacer. I've only been watching the Pacers and Kobe Bryant."

Miami Heat Coach, Pat Riley:
"I don't think so. That was a unique situation. I don't know if many other guys are capable of doing that."

Indiana Pacers Forward, Jermaine O'Neal:
"The only player of this millennium that you think could do something like that is maybe Shaq. But due to his free-throw shooting, that may be impossible for him."

Los Angeles Clippers Coach, Mike Dunleavy:
"I'd be sitting on the bench with my six fouls." (asked if it would have happened against him!). I thought Wilt's 100 points was untouchable. Now, obviously, it's probably not. If anybody could do it, I'd think [Bryant] would be the guy that could do it."

Toronto Raptors Coach, Sam Mitchell:
"No one I know saw Wilt Chamberlain score 100. But I can say, `Damn, I saw Kobe Bryant score 81.' I know everybody's saying this guy can't win a championship without Shaquille O'Neal. His thing is, `I may not, but I'm going to die trying.'"

UCLA Head Coach, Ben Howland:
"I watched that and I was astounded. Yeah, I think (he can get 100 points) if he takes enough shots. But I don't think it will happen."

Washington Coach, LoRenzo Romar:
"It's phenomenal that, while he took 46 shots, he made 28 of them and didn't make a lot of 3-pointers. I thought those days were history when a guy could go out and score 80."
BrianCook_The_Laker

Postby KobegirL on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:16 pm

Thank You for all of the great quotes :jam2: :bow: :jam2: :bow:
I enjoyed reading everyone of them, even the hating ones they were funny :mhihi: (Dirk really thinks he can score 80 points huh :man10: )
But i thinkl this was the best (quote along with Jerry Sloans)

BrianCook_The_Laker wrote:Jerry West:
**~**KB8~ THA BADDEST 2 EVER PLAY THA GAME**~**
KobegirL

Postby High IQ on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:32 pm

"It'd take me 16 games to get that many."

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
High IQ

Postby kofounder8 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:58 pm

i loved the post man i read every quote they cracked me up and im glad he gets some love

most shocking quote
Minnesota Guard/Forward Wally Szczerbiak:
"It was awesome. I've got a lot of respect for that guy. All the criticism he's taken over the years, I don't think it's warranted at all. He puts himself out there, he wants to win, you can see it in his eyes. Everyone criticizes him for shooting too much but he's just doing what he feels he needs to do to help his team win ball games."
"He will never be the next Micheal jordan" but when hes done "there will never be another Kobe Bryant"

SoKaL KoBe wrote:Hey Dirk,

From a team standpoint, Kobe outscored your team 62 to 61 in 3 quarters.
thats just great
kofounder8

PreviousNext

Return to Kobe's 81