Bryant Becomes Part Of NBA History Scoring 81 Points

Postby magicmoment on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:43 am

Kobe hits for 81, becomes fifth player to score 70 or more
Jan. 23, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LOS ANGELES -- Kobe Bryant kept shooting, from all over the court and from every angle.

By halftime, he had 26 points -- not a bad tally for most players. By the end of the game, he put up the second-highest total in NBA history.

The Los Angeles Lakers star scored a staggering 81 points Sunday night against the Toronto Raptors in a 122-104 win. Only Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game stands ahead of him.

"It just happened," Bryant said. "It's tough to explain. It's just one of those things."

"It really hasn't set in," he said. "To sit here and say I grasp what happened tonight, I'd be lying."

The NBA's leading scorer left to a standing ovation with 4.2 seconds remaining, having shot 28-of-46 from the floor and 18-of-20 from the foul line. He was 7-of-13 from 3-point range.

With the fans at Staples Center chanting "MVP! MVP!" Bryant made two free throws with 43.4 seconds remaining for his final points. He scored 28 in the fourth quarter, 27 in the third.

link:
http://sportsline.com/nba/gamecenter/recap/NBA_20060122_TOR@LAL
"Fix your hair Sasha. Gotta look pretty now" - Stu Lantz
"Lakers play for Championships" ~Lamar Odom
"I just missed some bunnies." ~Kobe on Game1 [NBA Finals]

Estamos Aquí!

add my fansite:
http://www.myspace.com/sashavujacic18
magicmoment

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:45 am

Kobe - 9th 50 ot career game.... 2nd only to AI(10)

2nd 60+ point game.... ONLY active player.

1st 70+ point game ...ONLY active player.

1st 80+ Point game.... 2nd man EVER to do that.

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Kob3eight on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:48 am

You guys have to read this. It is so funny how they are amazed by Kobe. They are counting the points as he scores and are speechless.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/show ... hp?t=18420
Song Currently Playing
Kob3eight
Resident Monkey

Postby mvp on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:49 am

Am I the only one upset that Kobe didn't get 90 tonight?

He missed 4 threes in the 4th quarter and missed 3 shots in a row at one point, also in the 4th.

Kobe is so good that I was expecting him to make those...

Oh well.

I'll have to live with 81.
Can you dig it, sucka?
mvp

Postby SKKG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:51 am

Kobe is God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit rolled into one, period. Hell, throw Satan, Budda, etc. in there too.

Now This is the Real Charlie's Angels!!!
Brother God, You Are Truly Blessed!
SKKG

Postby hdtvset on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:56 am

OMG!!!

The world have been hacked. Every radio stations, TV stations and internet web pages I go to are talking about Kobe scored 81 points. It can't be REAL! Help!

hdtvset

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:06 am

Here's a little MJ / KB comparison

MJ - 50 minutes - 23/37 FG 21/23 FT 69 points
KB - 42 minutes - 28/46 FG 18/20 FT 81 points
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby BIG O on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:17 am

HISTORICAL , truly unbelievable , wow just wow LOL I bet this is even the lead story on AL Jazeera. :bow: P.S. Thank you nba league pass. :bow:
BIG O

Postby GCMD on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:26 am

John3:16 wrote:Here's a little MJ / KB comparison

MJ - 50 minutes - 23/37 FG 21/23 FT 69 points
KB - 42 minutes - 28/46 FG 18/20 FT 81 points

I can't even IMAGINE that!

Kobe has 3 more rings to catch MJ...if he gets them, there is NO DOUBT in my mind who the GOAT is...
Feel free to ignore anything I say...

GCMD

Postby J-Smoove5 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:27 am

great game by Kobe, by the way that was his 666th game played lol :guru:
J-Smoove5

Postby kwamejoke on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:36 am

Zhengi wrote:Kobe only had 2 assists!!!!! What a ballhog!!!!!!!

Kobe is God!!!!!!!

Kobe is God!!!

:man11: :man11:
Mitch is the General Murder of lakers.

Caron > kwame BUT caron + chucky < kwame !
kwamejoke

Postby calidoc75 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:38 am

Kobe is second to wilt's 100...but let's put this in perspective--

KOBE scoring 81 is the most by any GUARD in the HISTORY OF THE NBA.

on top of that...correct me if im wrong, but 55 points in the second half marks the most points ever scored in a single half in NBA history...

amazing. glad we all got to enjoy it...considering there is no video of wilt scoring 100 and there were hardly any fans there to enjoy it...
calidoc75

Postby Sky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:39 am

Eighty one transcends sports, joining Wilt's 100 in redefining the limits of human performance.

Jaw dropping, phenomenal, pick one, all we can do is shake our heads in awe. Thanks Kobe.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby hdtvset on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:42 am

RJ 21 wrote:Image

Kobe! Image
hdtvset

Postby Chivalry on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:43 am

Sky wrote:Eighty one transcends sports, joining Wilt's 100 in redefining the limits of human performance.

Jaw dropping, phenomenal, pick one, all we can do is shake our heads in awe. Thanks Kobe.

:jam2:

Amazing game, and the best part of it all -- a come from behind victory.
Chivalry

Postby Q Deezy on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:43 am

I was at the game. The best performance I have ever seen. Bash Kobe all you want the guy is unreal. Best player in the NBA. :bow:
Q Deezy

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:45 am

Kobe's last 10 games (after being suspended for the Utah games) -

10 games - 445 points

m.v.p.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kob3eight on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:50 am

Kobe makes records wilt
By Royce Webb
ESPN.com

Only Kobe Bryant would try to singlehandedly upstage the NFL on Championship Sunday.

And get it done.

How does one describe Kobe's 81 points?

It's the greatest scoring night any of us have ever seen, except for the few among us who were in the arena in Hershey, Pennsylvania, on March 2, 1962. In other words, it's the best performance in NBA history, except for Wilt's 100.

It was 1.7 points per minute, or, in this case, 1.9 points per minute, since Kobe actually sat six minutes against the Toronto Raptors on Sunday, in the Lakers' 122-104, come-from-behind win in L.A.

It was 66 shots (not counting missed shots on which he was fouled) -- that's 46 field goal attempts and 20 free throw attempts. Of those FGAs, 28 found the net (60.9 percent), including seven of his 13 3-pointers. Eighteen of 20 free throws followed suit. (Yes, Kobe's free throw streak ended -- at 62.)

It's this . . . 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 3 2 2 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 2 1 3 2 2 2 1 1 2 2 2 1 1 1 3 3 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1.

It's enough to make you wish he'd have had a faster start, instead of "only" 26 in the first half . . . to be followed by 27 in the third quarter . . . and 28 in the fourth . . . picking up speed with all the inevitability of gravity itself, a runaway train, a basketball bouncing down a steep driveway.

After the game, Kobe insisted it was a "big win," and said getting the W was the most important thing. Not sure anyone believes that, but it was remarkable how Bryant's scoring affected the game, far more than his usual onslaught.

Three minutes into the second half, the Raptors led 71-53. Bryant already had all four of the Lakers' second half points, giving him 30 for the game, but then he cranked it up -- later he would say that he had gone into overdrive because the Lakers were "lethargic," as though he needs a reason.

Over the next 80 seconds, he made a basket and two 3s, cutting the 18-point lead to 12. The Lakers and Kobe kept coming, and when he stole a pass and tiptoed down the sidelines to get loose for a dunk, he put Los Angeles up for good, at 87-85, late in the third quarter.

Speaking of getting Los Angeles up, Kobe turned on the Showtime crowd for one of the greatest spontaneous celebrations ever for a single player.

For his audience, this was not about beating the Raptors, it was the pinch-me thrill of being in the arena during the greatest individual performance of the past four decades.

It was M-V-P! M-V-P!

But it was more than that -- it was the growing sound of the 18,997 paying customers every time he got the ball, and a expectant whoosh every time he went up to shoot, and a noisy, giddy sigh every time he missed, and a roar every time he made the basket or was fouled. It was the sound of a crowd at the circus, watching the trapeze artists at work, watching the greatest show on earth.

And while it's easy to forget when Kobe goes off, especially when the opposing team wears TORONTO on its chest, this was an NBA team he was doing this to -- a team that was leading the game before he really got going.

And that team, with talented players like Chris Bosh, Jalen Rose and Mike James on the floor, was clearly rattled, or worse. When everyone realized what Kobe was up to, both teams responded emotionally. The Lakers got a charge from Kobe's energy, while the Raptors were both distracted and overwhelmed. After a 63-point first half, they managed only 41 points in the second half, including only three baskets during a decisive nine-minute stretch.

A month ago, Lakers coach Phil Jackson (along with Kobe himself) held Bryant out of the fourth quarter, when Kobe had 62 and the Lakers had the game vs. the Mavericks locked up. Jackson was criticized, in the Daily Dime and elsewhere, for his decision.

This time, he might have had the same impulse, but he thought better of it. Late in the game, he said later, he told an assistant coach he would take Kobe out. "I don't think you're going to be able to do that," the assistant replied. "He's got 77." And Jackson left Kobe in, until a Toronto turnover with four seconds to play allowed him to remove Kobe for the ovation he deserved and, indeed, even a half-hug from the Zen Master.

Jackson did the right thing this time, because Kobe ultimately wasn't playing against the Raptors. He was playing against all the guys who never scored 80, or even 70 -- Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Dominique Wilkins, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Shaquille O'Neal, Jerry West, Karl Malone, Bob McAdoo, Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Pete Maravich, George Gervin, Bernard King, and on and on.

And he was competing against the Lakers' record holder, Elgin Baylor, who had 71; David Robinson, also 71; David Thompson, 73; and Wilt, 72, 73, 73, 78 and 100.

And he beat them all.

Except for Wilt. On one night.

Too bad the Lakers don't play on Super Sunday. I'd love to see Kobe go for Wilt's record, too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime ... ime-060123

Mavs React To Kobe's Big Night

When news of Kobe Bryant's 81 against the Raptors spread through the Rose Garden's visiting locker room, the Mavericks' relief over outlasting the Blazers in overtime was replaced by amazement at Bryant's feat.

Amazement, but by no means shock.

That's because the Mavs saw Kobe score 62 on them just a month ago in 33 minutes of a 112-90 Lakers' rout. Mavs guard Darrell Armstrong stabbed his finger at a partial boxscore showing Kobe had 41 midway through the third quarter against Toronto. "Imagine if our game had been close," Armstrong said, suggesting that had Bryant not sat the entire fourth quarter he might've had more than 82 that night.

More than anything, the Mavs were simply curious how Kobe put together the second single-highest scoring effort in NBA history, eclipsing all except Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game for Philadelphia against the Knicks in 1962. Only coach Avery Johnson showed more interest in the Sonics' 152-149 double overtime win over the Suns, perhaps because the Mavs play in Seattle on Thursday. But while Johnson marveled at the Sonics winning despite only 40 points in the paint and Luke Ridnour getting 30, the rest of the team looked to dissect Bryant's performance.

"How many times did he get to the line?" asked Jerry Stackhouse. (A relatively modest 18 of 20.)

"How many assists?" asked Keith Van Horn. "He didn't have any against us." (Two assists, three turnovers.)

"He took 47 shots?" asked Devin Harris. (Actually, 46, making 28.)

Someone asked Dirk Nowitzki if he could top 82. "I don't think that would be good from a team standpoint," Nowitzki said.

Stackhouse finished buttoning his shirt and shook his head in pure admiration. "You'd think the Super Bowl would lead SportsCenter tonight," he said. "But you know it won't. It can't. Kobe will. He has to."

-- Ric Bucher in Portland

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime ... ime-060123
Song Currently Playing
Kob3eight
Resident Monkey

Postby Kobe RN on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:53 am

Wow... Just wow. I witnessed the greatest performance by any laker. Wow.
Kobe RN

Postby Startrout on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:17 am

calidoc75 wrote:Kobe is second to wilt's 100...but let's put this in perspective--

KOBE scoring 81 is the most by any GUARD in the HISTORY OF THE NBA.

on top of that...correct me if im wrong, but 55 points in the second half marks the most points ever scored in a single half in NBA history...

I believe Wilt got 59 points in one half, but a legendary performance by Kobe none-the-less. There was also no 3 point shots for Wilt so he had to make a few more baskets, but Kobe's performance maybe the best any of us ever see in our lifetimes (unless Bynum turns out to be the GOAT :)

Can you imagine if this had been a double overtime game, or if he hadn't of sat out soooo long in the second quarter…

Way to go Kobe! That was fun to watch…
Last edited by Startrout on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Startrout

Postby mvp on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:31 am

What's crazy is if Kobe played 3 or 4 minutes more in the 2nd quarter, and made those threes that he missed toward the end, and didn't get called for that one charging foul (which would've been a three-point play), he would've eclipsed 100 points.

Anyone think 81 points will stand as Kobe's career high?
Can you dig it, sucka?
mvp

Postby GCMD on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:34 am

mvp wrote:What's crazy is if Kobe played 3 or 4 minutes more in the 2nd quarter, and made those threes that he missed toward the end, and didn't get called for that one charging foul (which would've been a three-point play), he would've eclipsed 100 points.

I hope we never NEED 81 from him again to win a game...
Feel free to ignore anything I say...

GCMD

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:43 am

mvp wrote:What's crazy is if Kobe played 3 or 4 minutes more in the 2nd quarter, and made those threes that he missed toward the end, and didn't get called for that one charging foul (which would've been a three-point play), he would've eclipsed 100 points.

I don't know if he would have eclipsed 100 ... 81 is unthinkable in this era with the level of competition and athleticism in the NBA.

Mathematically, if he played the full 48 minutes (he played 41), he probably would have scored 95 points considering he was scoring 2 points per every minute.

As far as breaking 81 goes, I'm going to ditto Stu's response after the game. I'll say no, but then again, every time we say no, Kobe proves us wrong. :man1:

:kobe1:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby vic5150 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:50 am

After 81 points just do the right thing and rename this site Club Kobe for at least a week. The next time you see a game like this will be on playstaton or x-box. WTF just happened tonight, oh yeah history. Anyone who hate on him after tonight is just mad because he's better than their favorite player in the league today.
Black Dynamite: "I'm declaring war on anyone who sells drugs in the community!"
Chocolate Giddy-Up: "But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs in the community!"
vic5150

Postby 1 x Butler x 1 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:55 am

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/bay_area_sports/2006/01/kobe_bryants_81.html

Kobe Bryant's 81-Point Night: No Athlete Is More Fun to Watch
All I know is Kobe just justified my DirecTV bill. My goodness, with that 81-point scoring bacchanalia tonight, brought to me THANK GOD by my satellite hook-up, Bryant justified the INVENTION of satellite dishes, TV and possibily electricity itself.

And yes, the NFL rules the earth. But Bryant blew away the two conference title games. Just blew them away. On a game almost nobody saw...

Here's how I stumbled onto it: After watching the Warriors and the NFL conference championship games, and writing, I flipped, as I always do, over to see what the Lakers were doing on the dish.

I saw the Lakers were trailing Toronto, a horrible defensive team, by 14, and that Kobe already had 26. I heard Laker analyst Stu Lantz say that Kobe might need 50 tonight, and I swear, I thought:
Hell with that, against the stinking Raptor defense, KOBE MIGHT GET 65, so I'd better watch.
This is, tell the truth, pretty much why I have satellite TV in the first place. For random Kobe-osity. Tonight, I figured he'd get whatever he had to, and 37 in the second half was what it could take.

I still had to write a little bit, so I didn't see all the third quarter. But turns out, I was off by 14--Bryant got 27 in the third quarter alone. Then he went out and blitzed the fourth quarter, totaling 55--FIFTY FIVE--in the second half altogether, to give him 81, the second-greatest scoring output in NBA history, behind only Wilt Chamberlain's 100.

My. My. And exhilarating.

Now, I'm a relatively calm sports viewer. I don't yell. I don't scream much, unless it involves my alma mater fumbling away another bowl game.

But after the two historic and generally non-dramatic NFL games, the Kobe performance had me bellowing (sorry, neighbors!) every time he punched in another three-pointer and dialing everybody I used to know from my old Laker writing days.

Morris Peterson with a double team? No chance, Kobe just attacked the middle of the double team and sliced to the hoop. Then he did it again. Jalen Rose with a triple team? Kobe jumped over the defenders, easy three-pointers. As automatic as anything in sports, once he gets going.

At about 9 p.m., with Kobe at 69 and shooting free throws to go over 70, I got a hold of my buddy J. Adande from the LA Times, who writes regularly and wisely about Kobe, but was in Seattle, typing away about the NFC title game.

"He's doing WHAT?" is all Adande said when I screamed the news. He's going to get 80, I said. Maybe 90, because Toronto was close enough to make Kobe keep scoring to win the game.

Bryant got a ton of calls tonight, but a blatant whack on his arm, with him sitting at 79, went unwhistled. No way they were giving him a free 80. Eventually, he did get the whistle, made two free throws, and there it was: 81, and history.

Lantz said Kobe probably will never do this again, that the defenses just won't allow it. But Bryant had 62 in three quarters against Dallas earlier this year. I saw him do ridiculous things, even with Shaq on his team, when I covered the Lakers.

I think Kobe can get 100, if the perfect situation develops--against Phoenix, say, in a game that really means something, at home, with the refs cooperating and the mojo going. Against the Warriors, maybe.

J. had to hang up before the end so he could make deadline. But I kept watching. I'm afraid I'm going to have keep watching Bryant every night possible, until the day he retires, because this one was just too good to forget. His teammates might not love him all the time and they really might not love him if he keeps shooting this much. But they won this game. Kobe is the toast of the NBA.

And 100 is out there for Kobe. He'll search for it. I know he will, because it's the greatest show we have in sports: Watching Kobe Bryant.

1 x Butler x 1

PreviousNext

Return to Kobe's 81