Can he score 100?

Is Kobe Bryant capable of scoring 100 in a game?

Yes
67%
No
17%
I love GuRu
14%

Total votes : 81

Can he score 100?

Postby GuRu on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:41 am

He scored 48 in the first half before.

Hes scored 55 in the 2nd half.

Hes had too many 25 point quarters to mention.

Will there ever be a time when he can put it together and hit 100? Of course any answer you give is no more than an educated guess, so thats all I ask. Give your best educated guess and reasoning. One thing I have learned after last night is to never underestimate Kobe Bryant's abilities.

For those who say Yes, really take a step back and think just how amazing an accomplishment that would be, as well as the circumstances that would have to align for it to happen.

For those who automatically dismiss it, think back to some of the things Kobe has done. All his talents. Did you think 80 was possible before last night? This is a guy who has scored 40, 50, 60, and now 80 in games thios year alone. He has the most dangerous offensive arsenal we arguably may have EVER seen. Hes scored 50 in under 3 quarters three times already in his career......
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby Startrex on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:44 am

Yes... but then I'll be tired of reading billion of pages of praises.
And dang it Guru, where is "I love myself" option? :man2:
You are so selfish with "I love Guru." What a ball hog.
Purple and 24K Gold
Startrex

Postby GuRu on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:47 am

Startrex wrote:You are so selfish with "I love Guru." What a ball hog.

Damn, I thought you voted for me! :mad1:
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby LakeShow09 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:51 am

I LOVE GURU!! :man10:
LakeShow09

Postby Startrex on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:55 am

GuRu wrote:
Startrex wrote:You are so selfish with "I love Guru." What a ball hog.

Damn, I thought you voted for me! :mad1:

Well, your hero missed 18 shots and only had 2 assists!!
The other EIGHT starters and bench just missed 3.5 shots per player!
Purple and 24K Gold
Startrex

Postby KoOL pLaYa C on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:31 am

This would be very tough accomplishment considering the circumstances that would have to occur for Kobe to even have a shot to score 100 points. I will say that it is possible BUT probably not probable. Other than being extremely hot (which Kobe has proven he can be for long stretches) he would need to game to be competative enough to go into 1 or 2 overtimes AND his teammates would have to play good enough to force the defences to not triple team Kobe evertime he touches the ball as he approaches the historic mark. I don't know whether it will happen BUT I will say that you must NEVER bet against Kobe Bryant. Because that is a bet you will most likely LOSE.
KoOL pLaYa C

Postby kolka on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:36 am

:man10:

I LOVE GURU
«Basketball is sharing» Phil Jackson
kolka

Postby ZenMaster4President on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:58 am

Of course he can. He didn't play 6 minutes of that game. Its not that hard for Kobe to put up 19 points in 6 minutes, even if he is not forcefed with the ball the way Admiral was, or the way Wilt was at the end of that game.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby UGOTOWN3D on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:01 am

Only GuRu would try to steal Kobe's spotlight.
UGOTOWN3D

Postby nameant on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:39 am

i wouldnt rule it out. if any1 can, kobe has a shot. he sat 6 mins in this game. he took 17 less shots than wilt needed to score 100. factor in kobe would've gone to the FT line at least another 10 times. factor in 3 pointers. if any1 can do this, it's kobe.
nameant

Postby venturalakersfan on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:41 am

The question shouldn't be "can", but "will". I don't think he will ever score 80 again, let alone 100. He shot 60% last night, that is an abnormally high percentage for him.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby ElginTheGreat on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:54 am

I think he could, especially if a game went into an overtime. Problem is, even if he scored 100, including the game winning basket you'd still get tons of people complaining that he didn't get his teammates involved. And that's one of the biggest reasons I don't think he'll do it. Kobe is working hard to repair his image and is doing a great job of it. But, he still can't quiet down the 'he doesn't make his teammates better' crowd and I think deep down that gets to him so until he tackles that demon and figures out how to get people to knock down open buckets, i don't see him going for 100. it would be great to see though.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Sky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:00 pm

I don't think Kobe can get to 100 in regulation. Triple OT maybe. To get to 100 he has to start blistering hot, play a team that can't defend a lick, and yet stay in it to keep challenging Kobe to produce.

Those great halfs took a ton of energy, energy he would not have had for the second half if he had to spend it in the first. Putting two together back to back would be a superhuman feat, the energy required is otherworldly.

The temptation now is to look immediately to Everest and Wilt's 100. I would caution against that. Truly appreciate what Kobe has done and marvel at it. 81 may never come our way again, drink in the moment rather than fast forward to a potential run at 100.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Startrex on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:12 pm

Sky wrote:I don't think Kobe can get to 100 in regulation. Triple OT maybe. To get to 100 he has to start blistering hot, play a team that can't defend a lick, and yet stay in it to keep challenging Kobe to produce.

Those great halfs took a ton of energy, energy he would not have had for the second half if he had to spend it in the first. Putting two together back to back would be a superhuman feat, the energy required is otherworldly.

The temptation now is to look immediately to Everest and Wilt's 100. I would caution against that. Truly appreciate what Kobe has done and marvel at it. 81 may never come our way again, drink in the moment rather than fast forward to a potential run at 100.

Theoritically, 100 can be achieved with the same shooting percentage. The 19 points needed can be from 4 more steals that lead to 8 fast break points, and another 4 opponent's turnovers that lead to aother 8 fast break points. The other 3 points can easily come from "and 1s" from the fouls to prevent those fast break attempts due to the steals and turnovers.

Ha ha, of course, I made it look simple. But that could be the scenario.
Purple and 24K Gold
Startrex

Postby Sky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:44 pm

The key concept imo is Kobe's energy is finite. Four steals would take a LOT of energy and drain him. Kobe could get 55 in the second half because he didn't have to kill himself in the first half. The energy it would take to get 50 in the first half would prevent him from getting 50 in the second half. The energy required is superhuman.

You want a scenario to 100 it's how can he score a ton of first half points without expending a lot of energy. For example, totally unconscious from 3 or a parade to the line. It also requires an opponent that can't stop Kobe but can stay ahead in the game to spark Kobe's competitive fire.

Last night was a perfect storm and it landed 81. 100 is aligning the planets with a low energy first half but a ton of points, an all-O no D opponent and Kobe just not missing. Theoretcially possible, but I don't see it.

Let's smell the roses on 81 guys. This is INCREDIBLE. Appreciate the 81 alone and resist the temptation to skip past 81 and dream of 100. I don't think we're seeing the likes of 81 again.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:14 pm

can he? definitely.
well imagine Torronto would have hit their shots and this would have been a triple overtime game. He could have had 110.
BTW G his first half record is 42 against Washington. He has never scored 48 in a half..

IMO its TOUGH to keep the concentration. I dunno whether he will ever be able to score that much without the Lakers leading by 20-30. Thats the question.He needs several factors
1. He must be on fire
2.It has to be a close game
3.He has to make sure he doesn´t cool off
4. His teammates need off-nights.
5. He has to get the calls from the refs.
I mean yesterday he had at least 2 fouls while shooting 3s. What was the last time that happened?

all in all he showed he is capable of doing it. IMO among all the great scorers, when on fire, Kobe is the best in the history of the game. NOBODY combines his shooting touch, penetrations, will and ability to draw contact. MJ couldn´t heat up from downtown lik Kobe. He is the most dynamic scorer ever.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby bam^^^ on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:55 pm

Sky wrote:The key concept imo is Kobe's energy is finite. Four steals would take a LOT of energy and drain him. Kobe could get 55 in the second half because he didn't have to kill himself in the first half. The energy it would take to get 50 in the first half would prevent him from getting 50 in the second half. The energy required is superhuman.

You want a scenario to 100 it's how can he score a ton of first half points without expending a lot of energy. For example, totally unconscious from 3 or a parade to the line. It also requires an opponent that can't stop Kobe but can stay ahead in the game to spark Kobe's competitive fire.

Last night was a perfect storm and it landed 81. 100 is aligning the planets with a low energy first half but a ton of points, an all-O no D opponent and Kobe just not missing. Theoretcially possible, but I don't see it.

Let's smell the roses on 81 guys. This is INCREDIBLE. Appreciate the 81 alone and resist the temptation to skip past 81 and dream of 100. I don't think we're seeing the likes of 81 again.

Sky, i dont know if 100 is possible... But i wouldnt be surprised if he has a similar game to this again...THIS SEASON
THink about it.
W/ the way this team plays, w/ how his "2nd" option rarely shows up and how dependant they are on him to win anything is possible.

I was @ the game. I sat in the 20th row and really believe the refs swallowed their whistles on MANY occasions. Im watching the tapes and it doesnt properly show how physical and how much illegal contact there was when kobe was trying to get to his spots. I think that made him try harder, but at the same time simply not right. SHould have been getting to the line like he was vs dallas.
Last nights game should have been @ least 90. Im not trying to complain about the refs.... I just think a few more EARNED whistles quickly change the total and the answer to the question.

There will be more games like his 62 in 3 qtr's and last nights game this season.
Especially with the playoff race and the team taking nights off every now and then.
I just think the only thing keeping him from higher #'s would be the other team staying in the game and keeping it close.
bam^^^

Postby SKKG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:09 pm

Yes, but it requires the cooperation of the opposing team. He needs to start out extremely hot, then the other team "pretends" to defend him, one-on-one.

Also, even though 100 is a lot, he only needs to get to a certain point(say 65 after 3), then he can start forcing it.

Now This is the Real Charlie's Angels!!!
Brother God, You Are Truly Blessed!
SKKG

Postby mvp on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:13 pm

Well, to put things into perspective, if Kobe made 3 of the 4 threes that he missed in the 4th quarter, made that mid-range shot at the end of the 3rd quarter, and wasn't called for the charging foul on a play that would've been a three-point play, he would've ended up with around 96 points. If he made that freethrow that he missed in the 4th, he would've had 97.

At that point, his teammates could foul Toronto, giving Kobe a few more possessions to get over 100.
Can you dig it, sucka?
mvp

Postby verde on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:33 pm

is he capable of it???
yes...without a doubt.

will he accomplish it in his career?
i don't know...
i hope so.
but that's a lot of points.

i think the key is just getting off to a hot start (40+ points in the 1st half)
playing against a team that isn't doubling you everytime you catch the ball. and playing a team with mediocre defenders. (i don't think he could put up 100 on bruce bowen or raja bell)
and then keeping the game relatively close. so that the lakers don't have a 40 point lead when kobe's trying to score 100. i don't think that's very sportsmanlike. (like dajuan wagner's 100 point game in highschool)
verde

Postby Sky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:41 pm

Bam Bam - You can go back and play what if, but last night was a perfect storm in terms of opponent and circumstance. They don't play Toronto again this year. Only Seattle and Dallas have the defenses that could set the table for him. After hanging 81 teams will make it their mission to ensure Kobe doesn't hang history on them. In essence the act of achieving it makes it even harder to top. More 60 point games maybe. Another 80, I don't think so.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:37 pm

Can he? Yes
Will he? No

Some things would have to happen for him to crack the century marker in points...
-he would have to be shooting lights out from 3 point land, making at least 13-15 of them.
-he would have to be playing the Raptors, Mavs, or Hawks.
-he would have to have a crew of zebras that are very whistle happy on the other team (needing at least 20 made free throws).
-he would need for his teammates to take no more than 10 shots, just get the ball down the court and get him the ball, don't even try to shoot if your name isn't Kobe Bryant.
-he would have to get career high in and 1s (bucket + foul)

That's the only way he'd have the energy to put up that many shots. And even then his arms would be getting very tired.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby GuRu on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:08 am

keep the "I love Guru"'s coming :man1: :man1:
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:40 am

I luv' Guru! :naughty1:
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby strikemode14 on Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:27 am

I think he can. To be honest after the Dallas game IMO if he stays in he would of had 100 then maybe more.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Next

Return to Kobe's 81