Kerr: "MVP! MVP! MVP" on Kobe's 81

Kerr: "MVP! MVP! MVP" on Kobe's 81

Postby IZZO_laker8 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:12 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

M-V-P! M-V-P! M-V-P!

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
January 23, 2006

More on Kobe: One-man Showtime

Sorry Chauncey Billups, Elton Brand, Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki – you're no longer in the hunt for the NBA's Most Valuable Player award. Kobe Bryant locked up the award Sunday night with his stunning 81-point barrage in the Los Angeles Lakers' come-from-behind victory over Toronto.

Think about that: 81 points! That's right, eighty-one. The second most points ever scored in a game in league history, behind only Wilt Chamberlain's record of 100. It was more than Michael Jordan ever scored and more than Oscar Robertson or Kareem Abdul-Jabaar ever had. It was as many or more than the Houston Rockets have scored 12 times this season.

Bryant's performance – especially since it rallied the Lakers from a second-half, 18-point deficit – ranks as the greatest show I have ever seen in the NBA. And I was in Cleveland back in 1990 with the Cavaliers when Jordan scored his career-high of 69. (I had two points.) I never thought I'd see anyone top that. But Kobe did.

The scary thing is that we all should have seen this coming. Since Dec. 20, Kobe is averaging 43.4 points per game. In his 62-point outing against Dallas, Bryant didn't even play in the fourth quarter. How much would he have scored had the game been close? On Thursday in Sacramento, he had an off night – and still scored 51.

His point totals have been so ridiculous that his 37-point effort in Phoenix on Friday was barely noticed. For almost anyone else, 37 would be a career night. For Kobe? It's a subpar game.

The question now is how high the bar should be raised. Is 90 points a possibility? Think about how preposterous that sounds, yet Kobe has actually made it a valid question. What if the Lakers play the Suns – who scored 149 points Sunday night and still lost – and Bryant gets hot? Then what? Could he score 100?

The man is virtually unguardable. His shooting range goes way beyond the three-point line, and his ball-handling ability allows him to get to any spot on the floor. His strength and fearlessness puts him at the free-throw line time and again, and his steely nature at the end of games makes him lethal in the clutch. He is a basketball machine.

What this all means is that Bryant has to win the NBA's MVP award. Brand was the early-season favorite after his fast start, and Nash has been mentioned as a repeat winner for leading the Suns to first place in the Pacific Division. Nowitzki also deserves consideration for his play and for the success of the Mavericks. But Kobe has elevated his game to an entirely different level – one that has rarely been seen in the history of the NBA.

He is far and away the best player in the league, and he deserves to be honored. After the show he put on Sunday, can anyone argue that he's not the MVP?

Steve Kerr is Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

:man4: :man4: :man4: [/b]
IZZO_laker8

Postby hdtvset on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:18 pm

Even a hater like Steve gives the MVP to Kobe.

What will other haters say about this? :mhihi:
hdtvset

Postby MarkMadsen on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:18 pm

i wouldnt say lock. The team still needs to make the playoffs. If he does then its hard not to award him.
MarkMadsen

Postby MarkMadsen on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:22 pm

hdtvset wrote:Even a hater like Steve gives the MVP to Kobe.

kerr isnt a "kobe hater."
MarkMadsen

Postby Daloyalfan18 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:25 pm

Never seen Kerr so excited about Kobe!
Daloyalfan18

Postby lilkhmerkid4u on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:26 pm

lilkhmerkid4u

Postby SKKG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:31 pm

If Detroit wins 70(an equally amazing achievement), then it will be hard not to give Billups his due.

Now This is the Real Charlie's Angels!!!
Brother God, You Are Truly Blessed!
SKKG

Postby Little_Duck on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:32 pm

You're ratio of stupid and ignorant posts to sensible posts is like 5:1.
Little_Duck

Postby Cleansed on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:33 pm

...somebody has slipped this fool a mickey...
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Cleansed on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:34 pm

...somebody has slipped this fool a mickey...

He is going to be SO angry tomorrow after writing that ("What was i thinking!? I hate Kobe!")
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby eureca on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:36 pm

Im a Kobe lover and I still think its Nash his team just keeps winning and they dont even have that one guy.
eureca

Postby Little_Duck on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:36 pm

SKKG wrote:If Detroit wins 70(an equally amazing achievement), then it will be hard not to give Billups his due.

The starting lineup on that team is too stacked to measure one's importance to the team yet. Wait until he gets suspended or injured (Billups) and the quality of their opponents during that period to see how valuable he is. We already saw Kobe's imporance.
Little_Duck

Postby hdtvset on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:53 pm

Little_Duck wrote:

You're ratio of stupid and ignorant posts to sensible posts is like 5:1.

:mhihi:
hdtvset

Postby Sharpshooter on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:12 pm

i ant believe kerr said that, id love to hear mj comment on kobe this year/
Sharpshooter

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:15 pm

lilkhmerkid4u wrote:Image

:man10: :man10: :man10:
Am i the only one who busted out laughing at this?

*8*8*8*8*

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby nameant on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:24 pm

DMK wrote:
lilkhmerkid4u wrote:Image

:man10: :man10: :man10:
Am i the only one who busted out laughing at this?

i did too. hilarious. :mhihi:

as for MVP...how can you single out billups as the MVP of the pistons? we dont know who the pistons MVP is. their starting 5 is so damn strong it's hard to say. take any guy out and it'll hurt them. the rest of the starters are equally as good if not better. you could make just as strong a case for rip or the wallace's. (sorry tay)
nameant

Postby Frank The Tank on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:51 pm

It just shows how amazing Kobe is playing when even his biggest critics are writing articles like this. Like I said over a month ago.... Keep doing what your doing Kobe and the haters will have nothing left to say. I think we are reaching that point.
Frank The Tank

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:00 pm

u gotta love him
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby MixtapeLive on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:07 pm

If pistons win 70 games that will be very impressive but, chauncy billups for MVP i dont think that would be fair..cuz, the nba just wants to award them for their acheivement, and theyll give billups the MVP, he is a great part of the team but...their whole starters and all-stars, if they win 70 games it cuz of their team effort and not 1 individual player...the whole 5 players complete each other...unlike the lakers where with kobe their complete without kobe their not, the rest dont matter THAT much...
PROUD TO BE LEBANESE
MixtapeLive

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:09 pm

hmm...im jus waiting for what charles barkeley and kenny smith hafta say about this...we'll see if barkeley has any complaints about Kobe...but straight up...if the lakers make the playoffs...KOBE IS MVP HANDS DOWN (i dont care if we're 8 seed, the "experts" ranked us 13th in the west!!!)
FabFourLakers

Postby slimjim on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:12 pm

SKKG wrote:If Detroit wins 70(an equally amazing achievement), then it will be hard not to give Billups his due.

take b wall away detroit doesn't win
take billups away team doesnt win
take prince away team doesnt win
take r ham away team doesnt win

detroit does not have a go to guy
they have a go to team

so if mvp goes to a detroit player.... why billups? big ben has the biggest impact on the team.
slimjim

Postby kwamejoke on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:34 am

MarkMadsen wrote:

kerr isnt a "kobe hater."

he is a lakers hater.
Mitch is the General Murder of lakers.

Caron > kwame BUT caron + chucky < kwame !
kwamejoke

Postby LOL on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:50 am

kobe is the most VALUABLE right now.take away kobe from the lakers and they will become alanta hawks
LOL

Postby Phat$haq on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:53 am

Take Kobe away and the Lakers will be playing in the NBDL.
Basketball is my religion. Staples Center is my temple. Kobe Bryant is my leader. Laker fans are my brothers.
Phat$haq

Postby Phat$haq on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:55 am

FabFourLakers wrote:hmm...im jus waiting for what charles barkeley and kenny smith hafta say about this...we'll see if barkeley has any complaints about Kobe...but straight up...if the lakers make the playoffs...KOBE IS MVP HANDS DOWN (i dont care if we're 8 seed, the "experts" ranked us 13th in the west!!!)

Yeah, I'm curious to hear what that guy in my avatar has to say too.
Basketball is my religion. Staples Center is my temple. Kobe Bryant is my leader. Laker fans are my brothers.
Phat$haq

Next

Return to Kobe's 81