Kobe's 81 point night vs. Wilt's 100 point night

Re: Kobe's 81 point night vs. Wilt's 100 point night

Postby Iceberg Slim on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:07 am

NeoSoul wrote:
DiehardLakerFan wrote:Check this stat out, from Yahoo:

Kobe Bryant scored 66.4 percent of his team's points. Wilt, in scoring 100 in his Philadelphia Warriors' 169-147 victory, managed just 59.2 percent. So maybe Kobe's performance was better, especially since he didn't enjoy Wilt's advantage of being 7-foot-1 and 275 pounds in an era of no one else being even close.

So...does anyone else here think that perhaps Kobe's outburst was better than Wilt's outburst? :man3:

This was THE SINGLE GREATEST INDIVIDUAL GAME PERFORMANCE IN NBA HISTORY. Period.

I don't want to hear from ANY Wilt backers on this. They FORCE-FED WILT THAT NIGHT, and then it was almost ALL inside the paint while KB did it from EVERYWHERE.

Wilt also did it against inferior talent/competition.

I will say it now...is EVERYONE READY...

KOBE IS A BETTER THAN MICHAEL JEFFREY JORDAN.

Yeah. I said it. Now what? Step to the podium and get some...because I got some AMMO FOR YOU!

And I don't wanna hear ANYTHING about "MJ made his teammates better" because NO MAN makes his teammates better, those teammates take it upon THEMSELVES to become better. Great players make the game EASIER for their teammates NOT BETTER. If that were the case then BJ Armstrong should have been an all star after he left Chi.

People are afraid to say it. I did. It has now been proven. The greatest scoring effort in the history of the NBA and Kobe Bean Bryant OWNS IT.

MJ, you're great, but you never saw 81. Not even close.

It's time we give KB his REAL due and make him the goat. He has a better jumper than MJ, roughly the same moves, nearly the same D, and all the skills. Now, this 81 point output SOLIDIFIED what A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WANTING TO SAY BUT WERE AFRAID TO SAY IT.

Stop the HATERATION. Stop the "He broke up a dynasty"..stop the "he's selfish"...stop the "He won't win a title without Shaq"...Look at this from PURELY A BASKETBALL STANDPOINT FOR INDIVIDUAL SKILLS and you will THEN see the light.

KB...way to go, playa.

I ain't ready to label him better than Mike just yet. If I'm labeling him better than Jordan then I'm labeling him as the greatest basketball player of all-time. And he ain't that.

But yo, I ain't even trying to argue or debate about who is better than who right now. I just want to enjoy this day and this event to the fullest man. Just as you want to. It's feels so good to be a Kobe Bryant fan right now. No hater, detractor, or non-laker fan can tell me ANYTHING right now. We'll pick up this debate in a couple of days, man. I can't believe Kobe did this.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby Frank The Tank on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:16 am

wavy wrote:IMO wilt's 100 was more impresive the n kobes for the fact the wilt didn't have 3 pointers, and he wqas a center which is very hard, no other center has ever scored over 60.
Every single thing you said in that post was wrong. First of all, you think it is easier for KOBE to score that many points than WILT who was over a foot taller than the guys guarding him and played right next to the basket? :man10: Second I know for a fact that another center scored over 60 because I watched the game, his name is Shaq (not to mention David Robinson who scored 70). You might want to actually know what your talking about before you make a comment like that.
Last edited by Frank The Tank on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank The Tank

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:17 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:GuRu sent me a text message that said "81? Forget about it."
My friend from work who I talk basketball with called me 13 times in 20 minutes.

I was sleep and seen both of these on my cell phone early this morning and said to myself..."What the hell is going on"

My brother then walks into my room and says...Guess how much "Gr8ness" (our nickname for Kobe) dropped?

I said what 65? :man3: 70 :man3: Damn, how much?

He told me Terrell Owens' jersey number. I was looked at him like he was crazy and turned to ESPN immediatley.

Listen here, remember that thread I made awhile back of Kobe Bryant not being top 20? It's official. He's more than top 20 now. Put that man in the top 10-12.

:man10: :bow: :bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby GuRu on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:46 am

:man1: :man1:
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby west-magic-kobe on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:07 am

kobe's was more impressive because of a few reasons. the current defenses thrown at a scorer. how kobe was able to score with more skill from all over the court. and the biggest thing is kobe shot over 60% plus wilt took 63 shots to get to 100 points 17 more shots than kobe. had kobe taken 10 more shots with the 3 being in effect the way he was going he might have dropped more than 100.
sad to say but kobe has become all drama & no rings. TRADE THIS WEIRDO!
west-magic-kobe

Postby NeoSoul on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:12 am

dugdug wrote:
NeoSoul wrote:This was THE SINGLE GREATEST INDIVIDUAL GAME PERFORMANCE IN NBA HISTORY. Period.

I don't want to hear from ANY Wilt backers on this. They FORCE-FED WILT THAT NIGHT, and then it was almost ALL inside the paint while KB did it from EVERYWHERE.

Yeah. I said it. Now what? Step to the podium and get some...because I got some AMMO FOR YOU!

And I don't wanna hear ANYTHING about "MJ made his teammates better" because NO MAN makes his teammates better, those teammates take it upon THEMSELVES to become better. Great players make the game EASIER for their teammates NOT BETTER. If that were the case then BJ Armstrong should have been an all star after he left Chi.

People are afraid to say it. I did. It has now been proven. The greatest scoring effort in the history of the NBA and Kobe Bean Bryant OWNS IT.

It's time we give KB his REAL due and make him the goat. He has a better jumper than MJ, roughly the same moves, nearly the same D, and all the skills. Now, this 81 point output SOLIDIFIED what A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WANTING TO SAY BUT WERE AFRAID TO SAY IT.

mang stop riding on kb so hard :man12:
great performance but just doesnt make kb better than mj
and how would u know wilts team force fed him that night???!! u've seen videos or something? :man10:

cant the same argument be made that kobe took over 50% of the team's shots? and didnt u watch the game at all? near the end of the 4th they were ONLY lookin for kb n no one else

and yea MJ did make it easier for his teamates while on the court, which in turn transformed to makin them better players if u get what i mean
if im not mistaken (correct if im wrong) wilt score 100 even BEFORE the game was over & fans/players jsut started runnin on the court BEFORE the game ended

So what if kb plays in a higher level of competition than wilt did, kb is also provided with speical training techniques that wilt was never even exposed to...defences back then were also more physical & could get away with a lot more than now, so wilt must have took such a big pounding that night as well

not to take anythin away from kobe (beautiful performance)
but i jsut dont want no fool to take anything away from the GOATS
of the past :man12:

Ah, yes...finally a taker-on.

Thanks for stepping to the podium, son. Let daddy school ya real quick. :man12:

Now, there are reports that Wilt's team decided to feed him after he got passed a certain amount of points, which I'm not shocked because there really was no reason to doubt them saying that because Wilt was mainly about stats for most of his career.

About the training techniques...THAT'S why the eras are different, chief. Come on, you should know this. Now, the training techniques are availabel to EVERYONE IN THIS ERA so don't act like Kobe's the ONLY ONE THAT UTILIZES THOSE TRAINING TECHNIQUES.

Now, if YOU can tell me a GREATER MJ PERFORMANCE THEN we can hold this discussion. Like I said, DON'T BRING UP TITLES BECAUSE TITLES ARE A TEAM ACCOMPLISHMENT.

Now, no one is taking anything away from MJ and Wilt, I don't know where you got that from, all I did was put each player and their era in proiper perspective.
NeoSoul

Postby NeoSoul on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:15 am

wavy wrote:IMO wilt's 100 was more impresive the n kobes for the fact the wilt didn't have 3 pointers, and he wqas a center which is very hard, no other center has ever scored over 60.

Actually him becing a Center works in his favor because he plays closer to the hoop which makes it easier for him to score as they fed him. Why do you think Centers are the ones with the highest FG%? Because the degree of difficulty is easier than shooting a 3 pointer. Also, he faced inferior players and strategies than Kobe. Kobe's 81 performance IS MORE impressive than Wilt's 100 perfomance..
NeoSoul

Postby NeoSoul on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:17 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:
NeoSoul wrote:

Kobe Bryant scored 66.4 percent of his team's points. Wilt, in scoring 100 in his Philadelphia Warriors' 169-147 victory, managed just 59.2 percent. So maybe Kobe's performance was better, especially since he didn't enjoy Wilt's advantage of being 7-foot-1 and 275 pounds in an era of no one else being even close.

So...does anyone else here think that perhaps Kobe's outburst was better than Wilt's outburst? :man3:

This was THE SINGLE GREATEST INDIVIDUAL GAME PERFORMANCE IN NBA HISTORY. Period.

Stop the HATERATION. Stop the "He broke up a dynasty"..stop the "he's selfish"...stop the "He won't win a title without Shaq"...Look at this from PURELY A BASKETBALL STANDPOINT FOR INDIVIDUAL SKILLS and you will THEN see the light.

KB...way to go, playa.

I ain't ready to label him better than Mike just yet. If I'm labeling him better than Jordan then I'm labeling him as the greatest basketball player of all-time. And he ain't that.

But yo, I ain't even trying to argue or debate about who is better than who right now. I just want to enjoy this day and this event to the fullest man. Just as you want to. It's feels so good to be a Kobe Bryant fan right now. No hater, detractor, or non-laker fan can tell me ANYTHING right now. We'll pick up this debate in a couple of days, man. I can't believe Kobe did this.

Most def, bro...most def. :jam2:
NeoSoul

Postby NeoSoul on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:20 am

west-magic-kobe wrote:kobe's was more impressive because of a few reasons. the current defenses thrown at a scorer. how kobe was able to score with more skill from all over the court. and the biggest thing is kobe shot over 60% plus wilt took 63 shots to get to 100 points 17 more shots than kobe. had kobe taken 10 more shots with the 3 being in effect the way he was going he might have dropped more than 100.

Probably the best post on this and with the best insight with the "63 shots-taken" for Wilt and Kobe's FG%...scary findings, bro. Good stuff.
NeoSoul

Postby MagicalBabySkyHook32 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:21 am

I heard on sports radio that Kobe took 15 less shots and had a better percentage than Wilt's 100 pt night, Kobe could have easily scored more is the scary thing.
MagicalBabySkyHook32

Postby BlingDynasty on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:28 am

MagicalBabySkyHook32 wrote:I heard on sports radio that Kobe took 15 less shots and had a better percentage than Wilt's 100 pt night, Kobe could have easily scored more is the scary thing.

If only the Lakers fouled intentionally to stop the clock like Wilt's team did.
BlingDynasty

Postby venturalakersfan on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:51 am

Wilt scored 100, Kobe scored 81. We're talking about the record for most ppg, so that is all that matters. Wilt holds the record, Kobe doesn't. You can try to spin the stats any way you want, but that is the fact.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby JSM on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:11 pm

I vote Kobe, here is why...

-Kobe faced a higher level of competition.

-Kobe's competition wasn't a foot shorter than him.

-There weren't 3 second violations back then, Wilt could camp.

-Kobe had to work harder for the shots. He had to shoot the over player, falling away, spinning....basically you name a shot or type of shot and Kobe took it. Wilt was already under the basket, then all he had to do once he caught it was put it in over players that were too short to do anything to stop him.

Now I'm not saying what Wilt did wasn't a hell of a feat, I'm not knocking him or anything like that; but in light of Kobe's performance, I think Wilt's becomes second best.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:27 pm

GuRu wrote:Image

:man1: :man1:

You do know that Kobe is THE ONLY player ever to Score IN THE 80's...

Meaning wilt HAD 80 during his 100 pt game...but NEVER finished with 80-anything :man1:

So Kobe is the ONLY player to finish in the 80points slot :mhihi:

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:16 pm

NeoSoul wrote:

KB...way to go, playa.

i agree with most of it LFFL
but its a lil to intense :jam2:
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby RJ on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:23 pm

I think Kobe's got it out for Wilt. Didn't he break Wilt's scoring record in Lower Merion HS? Now he's going for his 35+ streaks, 40+ streaks, Highest scoring games... What's next a 30-rebound game?!?! :man10:
[PSN ID: RJN]

{CLK} One team. One Clan.
RJ, No Scope, Nissan, CrazyLikeCatfish, LD2K, Helljumper, TXLAKERFAN
PM me to join.
RJ

Ummm...

Postby The Man In Black on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Wilt went to Overbrook High School in the city.

Lower Merion is in the BURBS.

50.4 PPG per game for a SEASON will never be broken-

While I find Kobe's individual scoring a remarkable accomplishment.
I don't think it's better than Wilt's 100.

I'll explain later but truthfully, that 81 was a marvel to behold because I watched it play out.

Props to Kobe for All-Time #2.

I'll give my reasons for Wilt's #1 later.
LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD!!!

http://themaninblacksays.blogspot.com/'
The Man In Black

Re: Ummm...

Postby The Man In Black on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:21 am

The Man In Black wrote:Wilt went to Overbrook High School in the city.

Lower Merion is in the BURBS.

50.4 PPG per game for a SEASON will never be broken-

While I find Kobe's individual scoring a remarkable accomplishment.
I don't think it's better than Wilt's 100.

I'll explain later but truthfully, that 81 was a marvel to behold because I watched it play out.

Props to Kobe for All-Time #2.

I'll give my reasons for Wilt's #1 later.

Kobe's 81, again an incredible feat. But where Wilt's 100 is eye-opening is here:
28-32 FT's made.
Considering that that season, Wilt FT% was an abysmal .613 and for his career it was .511

For that game, he shot an amazing .875

Kobe regularly shoots 84%.
His lifetime FT% 83.2%
What he shot that night from the charity stripe?
His 18-20 results in 90%.
90%, a 7% increase over his regular FT% is phenomenal. But a 26.2% for Wilt is staggering.

I read the Stein article, this quote deserves a counter:
No offense to the late, great Chamberlain, but he was better positioned to dominate a box score back then with the overwhelming size and strength advantages he possessed, especially given the lack of defensive sophistication in those days.

That lack of defensive sophistication allowed excessive clutching, grabbing, and pushing. Hard-fouls were defined by the early era and those beautiful flights of fancy that we see from guys like Kobe, JRich, Ginobili would have been met with a requisite low-bridge from an opposing defender.

It's not like Wilt was facing only people who were 6'7"
or less, All 3 centers that NY had back at the time were 6'10 and legitimate centers and each weighing 220 or greater. IF it was just about size, Shaq should've already broken the record but it takes more than just size.

Stein continues:
Some of you will inevitably counter with the claim that Kobe had the benefit of a 3-point line, but don't exaggerate. Having the long-ball option added only seven extra points to Bryant's total.

Having the longball option means that for Kobe to get those extra 7 points in game without the arc, he'd have to either foray more into the paint or take more shots. Anything could happen on that drive or getting that J off.

Those 13 shots for the 3pointers, would now translate to at least 3 more shots to his total to get those 7 points, with the 4th shot turning into a trip to the FT line.

Again best scoring performance in decades. Worthy of many accolades, could lead KBB to an MVP but I'd be disappointed if it was given to him just on the basis of this 1 marvelous scoring game.

Having witnessed David's 71 point outburst against the Clippers live, I can say that this performance was even more amazing, but considering that Dave won the scoring title with that final performance, that one sticks in my head too.
LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD!!!

http://themaninblacksays.blogspot.com/'
The Man In Black

Previous

Return to Kobe's 81