Kobe's 81 point night vs. Wilt's 100 point night

Kobe's 81 point night vs. Wilt's 100 point night

Postby DiehardLakerFan on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:51 am

Check this stat out, from Yahoo:

Kobe Bryant scored 66.4 percent of his team's points. Wilt, in scoring 100 in his Philadelphia Warriors' 169-147 victory, managed just 59.2 percent. So maybe Kobe's performance was better, especially since he didn't enjoy Wilt's advantage of being 7-foot-1 and 275 pounds in an era of no one else being even close.

So...does anyone else here think that perhaps Kobe's outburst was better than Wilt's outburst? :man3:
ImageImage
DiehardLakerFan

Postby Milton Enjoys Scrabble on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:54 am

I think it was. Wilt was 7'1 and it's not like the guys he was playing against were as tall or as athletic(even the worst teams, like the Raptors, could whoop us posters in b-bally) as Kobe did.
Milton Enjoys Scrabble

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:02 am

No disrespect to Wilt. He's one of the greatest players ever. I have his jersey.

However, Kobe's performance was more impressive if not just as good. The level of competition in Wilt's era was nowhere near the area it's at right now. He was shooting over guys half his size from close to the basket.

If you watch the replays, the most amazing thing I've noticed is that the majority of Kobe's shots were contested tonight and he hit a spectacular array of jumpshots.

The fact that he did it as a guard in the era we watch today is simply amazing.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby DiehardLakerFan on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:12 am

BryantDunkGiant wrote:No disrespect to Wilt. He's one of the greatest players ever. I have his jersey.

However, Kobe's performance was more impressive if not just as good. The level of competition in Wilt's era was nowhere near the area it's at right now. He was shooting over guys half his size from close to the basket.

If you watch the replays, the most amazing thing I've noticed is that the majority of Kobe's shots were contested tonight and he hit a spectacular array of jumpshots.

I totally agree - no disrespect to Wilt of course, one of the GoAT - but Kobe's performance might have been the most spectacular showing of any player in NBA history. Absolutely incredible. I feel privileged to have witnessed that piece of history
ImageImage
DiehardLakerFan

Postby Justin Bailey on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:28 am

DiehardLakerFan wrote:
BryantDunkGiant wrote:No disrespect to Wilt. He's one of the greatest players ever. I have his jersey.

I totally agree - no disrespect to Wilt of course, one of the GoAT - but Kobe's performance might have been the most spectacular showing of any player in NBA history. Absolutely incredible. I feel privileged to have witnessed that piece of history

Tonight was insane!
KOBE G.O.A.T. wrote:Human is not car.
Justin Bailey

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:43 am

Definitely Wilts 100 performance is historic, but Kobe's was more impressive, like BDG said.
In 60s basketball wasn't at so high level, if you were tall like Wilt was, you easily could dominate and Wilt did it.
But Kobe scored 81 points in "modern era", when basketball is at more higher level and defensive schemes is more developed and players are more athletic. If Kobe would play in 60s with this amount of skills, he would score 100 every game and maybe 200 if he would get on fire.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Re: Kobe's 81 point night vs. Wilt's 100 point night

Postby NeoSoul on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:44 am

DiehardLakerFan wrote:Check this stat out, from Yahoo:

Kobe Bryant scored 66.4 percent of his team's points. Wilt, in scoring 100 in his Philadelphia Warriors' 169-147 victory, managed just 59.2 percent. So maybe Kobe's performance was better, especially since he didn't enjoy Wilt's advantage of being 7-foot-1 and 275 pounds in an era of no one else being even close.

So...does anyone else here think that perhaps Kobe's outburst was better than Wilt's outburst? :man3:

This was THE SINGLE GREATEST INDIVIDUAL GAME PERFORMANCE IN NBA HISTORY. Period.

I don't want to hear from ANY Wilt backers on this. They FORCE-FED WILT THAT NIGHT, and then it was almost ALL inside the paint while KB did it from EVERYWHERE.

Wilt also did it against inferior talent/competition.

I will say it now...is EVERYONE READY...

KOBE IS A BETTER THAN MICHAEL JEFFREY JORDAN.

Yeah. I said it. Now what? Step to the podium and get some...because I got some AMMO FOR YOU!

And I don't wanna hear ANYTHING about "MJ made his teammates better" because NO MAN makes his teammates better, those teammates take it upon THEMSELVES to become better. Great players make the game EASIER for their teammates NOT BETTER. If that were the case then BJ Armstrong should have been an all star after he left Chi.

People are afraid to say it. I did. It has now been proven. The greatest scoring effort in the history of the NBA and Kobe Bean Bryant OWNS IT.

MJ, you're great, but you never saw 81. Not even close.

It's time we give KB his REAL due and make him the goat. He has a better jumper than MJ, roughly the same moves, nearly the same D, and all the skills. Now, this 81 point output SOLIDIFIED what A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WANTING TO SAY BUT WERE AFRAID TO SAY IT.

Stop the HATERATION. Stop the "He broke up a dynasty"..stop the "he's selfish"...stop the "He won't win a title without Shaq"...Look at this from PURELY A BASKETBALL STANDPOINT FOR INDIVIDUAL SKILLS and you will THEN see the light.

KB...way to go, playa.
NeoSoul

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:50 am

Thank you :bow:

Wilt will always be the benchmark - 100 pts in a game... shame is its not on film, noone has seen it and we have 1 pic from that game.

Kobe just scored 81 pts... on an nba team, bad or good..its an NBA TEAM! ... hes a Shooting Guard, its the era of different defenses designed to slow and freely quadruple players like kobe...

We were down by double digits and Kobe did EXACTLY what he needed to do to do what he did! .... :man10: sounds funny saying it...

We needed Kobe to be SUPERMAN... and he was... times 2!

Either way you slice it.... one of the greatest sports performances in history... i feel privaledged to watch it and tape it from beginning to end.

What a joy and a treat...

Thank you Kobe! :bow:

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Frank The Tank on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:52 am

No comparison IMO. With all due respect......

Kobe is not a giant compaired to everyone else like Wilt was. Back in those days everything was totally different than it is now. The athletes werent nearly as good, and no shot clock. Kobes performance required much more skill and a way higher level of difficulty. Amazing night by an amazing player. :jam2: I actually think the NBA should Differentiate between the days of Wilt and "the modern era" kind of like how baseball does. Because IMO the two era's are not really comperable.
Frank The Tank

Postby TalkieWalkie on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:49 am

Kobe's 81 had a greater degree of difficulty...but the fact that he had the 3 point line is a point against Kobe in this particular comparison...

They both had their advantages in their respective performances...

Right now, I am just gonna take it for what it is....an INSANE display of scoring...Just as Wilts record was...no need for comparison...both seem equally great to me....
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:10 am

TalkieWalkie wrote:Kobe's 81 had a greater degree of difficulty...but the fact that he had the 3 point line is a point against Kobe in this particular comparison...

Right now, I am just gonna take it for what it is....an INSANE display of scoring...Just as Wilts record was...no need for comparison...both seem equally great to me....

Wilt had trouble making 15 ft Free Throws.... he wouldnt even be taking 23+ ft 3pters :man10: so that argument doesnt hold water IMO

DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby GuRu on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:22 am

I dont compare and debate greatness, I just sit back and enjoy it. :man12:
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby bumrusherer on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:46 am

DMK wrote:
TalkieWalkie wrote:Kobe's 81 had a greater degree of difficulty...but the fact that he had the 3 point line is a point against Kobe in this particular comparison...

Wilt had trouble making 15 ft Free Throws.... he wouldnt even be taking 23+ ft 3pters :man10: so that argument doesnt hold water IMO

:man10: :man10:
51% free throw shooter stepping out to shoot some 3 balls. That would have been fun.
bumrusherer

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:54 am

bumrusherer wrote:
DMK wrote:

51% free throw shooter stepping out to shoot some 3 balls. That would have been fun.

I honestly think Mihm could school both Wilt and Manute Bol in a 3 pt contest :man10:

DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:58 am

bumrusherer wrote:
DMK wrote:

Its not always a sign that he sucks.

Bruce Bowen 2002-2003
40% FTs and 44% 3FGs. :man10:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:02 am

KB8@CL wrote:
bumrusherer wrote:
DMK wrote:

Its not always a sign that he sucks.

Bruce Bowen 2002-2003
40% FTs and 44% 3FGs. :man10:

:man10: True.... But i doubt wilt was anywhere the 7ft 3 pt machine Dirk"bitter mittens" nowitski

DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby GCMD on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:04 am

Kobe shot Js
Kobe shot freethrows
Kobe faced zone
Kobe did what His Airness has NEVER done
Kobe faced every defense known to man...

81 compared to 100? 19 points...

Kobe's 81? One man against a whole team...
Feel free to ignore anything I say...

GCMD

Postby Camilo on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:10 am

FOR BOTH PERFORMANCES ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS :man4: :man4: :man4: :man4: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :man4: :man4: :man4:
Camilo

Re: Kobe's 81 point night vs. Wilt's 100 point night

Postby dugdug on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:38 am

NeoSoul wrote:This was THE SINGLE GREATEST INDIVIDUAL GAME PERFORMANCE IN NBA HISTORY. Period.

I don't want to hear from ANY Wilt backers on this. They FORCE-FED WILT THAT NIGHT, and then it was almost ALL inside the paint while KB did it from EVERYWHERE.

Wilt also did it against inferior talent/competition.
KOBE IS A BETTER THAN MICHAEL JEFFREY JORDAN.

Yeah. I said it. Now what? Step to the podium and get some...because I got some AMMO FOR YOU!

And I don't wanna hear ANYTHING about "MJ made his teammates better" because NO MAN makes his teammates better, those teammates take it upon THEMSELVES to become better. Great players make the game EASIER for their teammates NOT BETTER. If that were the case then BJ Armstrong should have been an all star after he left Chi.

People are afraid to say it. I did. It has now been proven. The greatest scoring effort in the history of the NBA and Kobe Bean Bryant OWNS IT.

It's time we give KB his REAL due and make him the goat. He has a better jumper than MJ, roughly the same moves, nearly the same D, and all the skills. Now, this 81 point output SOLIDIFIED what A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WANTING TO SAY BUT WERE AFRAID TO SAY IT.

mang stop riding on kb so hard :man12:
great performance but just doesnt make kb better than mj
and how would u know wilts team force fed him that night???!! u've seen videos or something? :man10:

cant the same argument be made that kobe took over 50% of the team's shots? and didnt u watch the game at all? near the end of the 4th they were ONLY lookin for kb n no one else

and yea MJ did make it easier for his teamates while on the court, which in turn transformed to makin them better players if u get what i mean
if im not mistaken (correct if im wrong) wilt score 100 even BEFORE the game was over & fans/players jsut started runnin on the court BEFORE the game ended

So what if kb plays in a higher level of competition than wilt did, kb is also provided with speical training techniques that wilt was never even exposed to...defences back then were also more physical & could get away with a lot more than now, so wilt must have took such a big pounding that night as well

not to take anythin away from kobe (beautiful performance)
but i jsut dont want no fool to take anything away from the GOATS
of the past :man12:
dugdug

Postby Iceberg Slim on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:56 am

GuRu sent me a text message that said "81? Forget about it."
My friend from work who I talk basketball with called me 13 times in 20 minutes.

I was sleep and seen both of these on my cell phone early this morning and said to myself..."What the hell is going on"

My brother then walks into my room and says...Guess how much "Gr8ness" (our nickname for Kobe) dropped?

I said what 65? :man3: 70 :man3: Damn, how much?

He told me Terrell Owens' jersey number. I was looked at him like he was crazy and turned to ESPN immediatley.

Listen here, remember that thread I made awhile back of Kobe Bryant not being top 20? It's official. He's more than top 20 now. Put that man in the top 10-12.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:58 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:GuRu sent me a text message that said "81? Forget about it."
My friend from work who I talk basketball with called me 13 times in 20 minutes.

I was sleep and seen both of these on my cell phone early this morning and said to myself..."What the hell is going on"

My brother then walks into my room and says...Guess how much "Gr8ness" (our nickname for Kobe) dropped?

He told me Terrell Owens' jersey number. I was looked at him like he was crazy and turned to ESPN immediatley.

Listen here, remember that thread I made awhile back of Kobe Bryant not being top 20? It's official. He's more than top 20 now. Put that man in the top 10-12.

Classic! :mhihi: .. :jam2:

DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby GuRu on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:59 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:GuRu sent me a text message that said "81? Forget about it."

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

You got my message :man1:
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby wavy on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:03 am

IMO wilt's 100 was more impresive the n kobes for the fact the wilt didn't have 3 pointers, and he wqas a center which is very hard, no other center has ever scored over 60.
wavy

Postby High IQ on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:04 am

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
all I can say is JUST WOW. I'm so freakin excited. I think I can benchpress shaq right now, that is how excited I AM! :jam2: :jam2:
High IQ

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:05 am

wavy wrote:IMO wilt's 100 was more impresive the n kobes for the fact the wilt didn't have 3 pointers, and he wqas a center which is very hard, no other center has ever scored over 60.

Same thing can be said for Kobe.

Wilt had NO SHOT CLOCK....

DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Next

Return to Kobe's 81