NBA Blog Squad: Eric Millegan

NBA Blog Squad: Eric Millegan

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:17 am

http://www.nba.com/blog/blog40.html

January 22nd, 2006
where were you?
I missed the game. Man, I missed the 62 point in three quarters game. And I missed the 81 point game. I love the NBA. I mean, I really really love the NBA. It just kills me when I miss something like that. Cuz man, I've seen it all. I've seen the comebacks from 20-30 points down. I've seen the incredible game winning shots. The thrilling playoff upsets. And I was right there in front of my TV when Tracy McGrady dropped 13 points in 35 seconds. On that note, wow, just think if McGrady played the whole game at that pace. He would've scored around 1100 points!! But I digress. It is rare that I see anything in the NBA that I haven't seen before. I've just watched too many games. But dang, man... I've never seen anyone score 81 points in a basketball game. And to think it happened only a few miles from where I live!

So what was I doing when Kobe dropped four score And 1 on Canada? I was in my little Beverly Hills apartment watching Blazers/Mavs!! Blazers and frickin Mavs. The two teams that Kobe likes to beat on the most (see 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001 & 2002 playoffs and then ask Mark Cuban for tapes of the regular season game where the Lakers came back from 30 down in 2002 and the aforementioned 62 point outburst last month).

So anyway, I was watching Blazers/Mavs and I missed "The Kobe Game." Lemme explain that I wasn't able to start watching the 6pm game until 7:30pm and so, since I watched it from the beginning on tivo, that is why I was completely oblivious to the history-making circus at Staples.

Yep, I was watching my Blazers score SEVENTY NINE points in regulation, thanks to a sweet lookin three pointer by Steve Blake, only to lose in overtime. SEVENTY NINE points. You know... people talk about team ball and blah blah blah, but look... if you have ONE player who can score 81 points, why not let him score? Screw team work. If one of my Blazers would've dropped 81 points on the Mavericks Sunday night, we would've won.

As I've seen in the highlights of Kobe's barrage (thank you NBA.com for the 81 points in 3 minutes reel), they were mostly tough contested jump shots. And his team needed his scoring boost to recover from what... an 18 point deficit? The dude wasn't just going for a record. He was trying to win the game. And the fact that he sat in the fourth quarter of that 62 point game vs the Mavericks adds to his credibility.

Was this bad team basketball? You know, I don't think so. The Lakers are undefeated when Kobe scores 80 or more. People say that true greatness is making your teammates better. Hey, Kobe worked out hard in the offseason and throughout the game on Sunday, he made sure he got the ball to the player with the best chance to score. Is that not the right way to play the game?

Okay... so back to my story. I was watching Blazers/Mavs and my team lost and I went to bed. The next morning, I got up at 4:30am to go to USC to shoot a location scene for "Bones." While I was getting wired on the set, I noticed a copy of the Los Angeles Times. There was Kobe's picture and I thought "oh... I guess Kobe had a big game" and I looked down at the caption which began saying that he had scored 26 points in the first half. I was like... okay, that's what he's been doin lately. But then I noticed that this was not the sports page. It was in fact the front page. And so I grew curious. I unfolded the paper to read the rest of the caption which said that he had scored 55 points in the second half. I was confused. It didn't make sense to me. It didn't register. I was like... wait, he scored 55 points in the second half?? And then I unfolded the paper completely. And there it was. Kobe had scored 81 points. I was floored. Just floored. Probably the most surprised I've been about anything in months, maybe even years. I'm not just talking sports. I just can't think of a time where I was like "whoa, I didn't see that coming." 81 points in a game. 81. Wow.

And I missed the frickin game.

KingSpeed
Posted by Eric Millegan - Jan 25 2006 2:11AM
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Ice Laker on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:33 am

The Lakers are undefeated when Kobe scores 80 or more

I guess that´s true :man10: :man1:
Ice Laker

Return to Kobe's 81