ron harper thinks kobe is selfish

ron harper thinks kobe is selfish

Postby nesli on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:24 am

"He ain't no MVP to me because he scored all those points," Harper said. "That's my boy, too, but I get tired of seeing that.

"I want to know if he's making anybody else on the team better. And what are the other guys on the team doing? Do they just run up and down the floor and watch Kobe?

"That's my boy and I love him to death. If it's a one-on-on game, I'd take my money and put it on him. But it's not. It's about team.

"When it's about team, I can't put my money on him. But he's the best at one on one and he's the greatest show on Earth right now."

I sort of agree. Kobe can involve others much more. I believe phil jackson must take some blame,too. Kobe is the best all-around talent in the nba. He can defend ,score, asist ... I hate when people call him only a scorer .He must use his all-around talent
nesli

Postby KB24 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:26 am

Ron can start licking the magic stick....

Everybody knows that but at this point you just have to put aside EVERYTHING negative and give the guy credit. What a disgrace. Kobe doesn´t deserve ANY criticism right now specially if he is your guy. Ron is putting this under the wrong light.

just for the record
thats the guy we are talking about...
Last edited by KB24 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby nameant on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:26 am

traitor!
nameant

Postby High IQ on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:28 am

look here. I was thinking about it whole morning.
lots of people call him selfish for scoring 81 points in 1 game and none of his teammates had even 10 points. here is the point:
whe Wilt had his 100 point game... what was the highest number of points of his teammates? I doubt it was more than 10 also. and when wilt was averaging 50 ppg, I don't think any of his teammates was averaging more than 15ppg. I know it is kinda silly, but anyway... :man11:
High IQ

Postby KB24 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:33 am

to answer in your own language Mr. Ron Harper

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby High IQ on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:37 am

KB8@CL wrote:to answer in your own language Mr. Ron Harper

:man10: :man10: :man10:
High IQ

Postby Aike on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 am

The context of how Kobe scores his points is ignored by too many players.

I watched games early in the season where Kobe was straight gunnin', to the detriment of his team. For instance, there were games where he kept jacking up perimeter shots under pressure, even though he was cold, even though it was a close game, even though his teammates were open and playing ok. People hating on Kobe for that was acceptable, imo.

However, the other night, everybody was in a funk, the Lakers were in a deep hole, and Kobe started firing to get them back in it. Clearly it worked. Once the Lakers got back and ultimately ahead, his teammates were force feeding the ball to him late because they were sensing that they were part of history.

Kobe wasn't ball-hogging to get to 81. He was just hitting on all cylinders.
Aike

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:00 am

Against Golden State Friday Kobe should get triple-double, cuz then maybe people won't say that he's selfish. He likes to score, but who doesn't? Kobe cares about winning.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Re: ron harper thinks kobe is selfish

Postby Juronimo on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:17 pm

nesli wrote:
"He ain't no MVP to me because he scored all those points," Harper said. "That's my boy, too, but I get tired of seeing that.

"I want to know if he's making anybody else on the team better. And what are the other guys on the team doing? Do they just run up and down the floor and watch Kobe?

"That's my boy and I love him to death. If it's a one-on-on game, I'd take my money and put it on him. But it's not. It's about team.

"When it's about team, I can't put my money on him. But he's the best at one on one and he's the greatest show on Earth right now."

I sort of agree. Kobe can involve others much more. I believe phil jackson must take some blame,too. Kobe is the best all-around talent in the nba. He can defend ,score, asist ... I hate when people call him only a scorer .He must use his all-around talent

I agree. The coaching staff, Kobe, and his teammates need to understand that they can't just stand around and watch Kobe, then need to move without the basketball. Also, if Kobe is being double or triple team, give the ball to the open man instead of forcing a shot, just because he can.

If the rest of the team doesn't develop, the Lakers won't have long term success if things keep going the way they've been going.

Yes Kobe's performance on Sunday was spectacular and I enjoyed watching it. My comments are not intended to be hating, just legitimate concerns. I want to see another championship, and the only way that can happen is if we become a team.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby DMK on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:49 pm

Shame....

Do people not realize that BLATANTLY HATEING on something of this historic Signifigance MAKES YOU LOOK BAD... not Kobe... makes YOU look bad.

Shame on you Harp..

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby DMK on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:51 pm

Oh, and bottom line...

WE TRIED GETTING TEAMMATES INVOLVED in the 1st half... DIDNT WORK..case you didnt know, we were down by 18.

WE WON BECAUSE OF KOBE GOING OFF.... that simple.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:57 pm

DMK wrote:Oh, and bottom line...

WE TRIED GETTING TEAMMATES INVOLVED in the 1st half... DIDNT WORK..case you didnt know, we were down by 18.

Yup, true true. After watching the replay last night with a chance to really analyze the game minus the excitment of the original viewing, I noticed that Kobe made a very conscious effort to get his team involved. It was mostly in the first half, and even quite a bit in the 3rd. I counted at least 5-6 more assists he should have had, but his teammates missed wide open shots.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Kobe's Empire on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:02 pm

If Kobe passes, the Lakers lose. No one else gives him consistent help, except for maybe Mihm. Even then, it's not so much to win the game. IN actually, Kobe pretty much HAD TO SCORE 60+ for the Lakers to win the game.
Kobe's Empire

Postby Muggle on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:09 pm

Punk-101 wrote:
DMK wrote:Oh, and bottom line...

Yup, true true. After watching the replay last night with a chance to really analyze the game minus the excitment of the original viewing, I noticed that Kobe made a very conscious effort to get his team involved. It was mostly in the first half, and even quite a bit in the 3rd. I counted at least 5-6 more assists he should have had, but his teammates missed wide open shots.

I concur, noticed the same thing when watching the game (I've been paying attention to Kobe's passes & the results a lot as of late, cause I'm tired of hearing that Kobe's a ball hog).

What's more, I saw numerous times when Kobe passed the ball and it made it's way back to him with little time on the clock. What's the team superstar supposed to do...pass again?

Cant' believe Harper is hating this much...there goes some of my respect for him.
Muggle

Postby RoadRunner on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:18 pm

I don’t know what Harper is harping about but, Its not Kobe’s fault his teammates doesn’t prepare themselves as hard as Kobe does in the off season. Kobe is still second assist on the team. We would have certainly have gotten blown out if Kobe didn’t step it up in the second half, maybe if Haper watched the game he would agreed that Kobe did a good job for stepping up and taking charge. :bang:
RoadRunner

Re: ron harper thinks kobe is selfish

Postby borri on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:21 pm

Juronimo wrote:
nesli wrote:

I agree. The coaching staff, Kobe, and his teammates need to understand that they can't just stand around and watch Kobe, then need to move without the basketball. Also, if Kobe is being double or triple team, give the ball to the open man instead of forcing a shot, just because he can.

If the rest of the team doesn't develop, the Lakers won't have long term success if things keep going the way they've been going.

Yes Kobe's performance on Sunday was spectacular and I enjoyed watching it. My comments are not intended to be hating, just legitimate concerns. I want to see another championship, and the only way that can happen is if we become a team.

Do you seriously believe our current roster is anywhere close to being championship worthy?

Talk to me about your championship concerns after we actually get Kobe a legitimate second scorer. Second, our roster has NOT shown any modicum of consistency. Do i blame them? NO. Plainly put, they aren't good period. However you look at it, this current Laker team will rise on fall on whether Kobe is on or not.

This is NOT directed to you.......After reading all the negative press comments about Kobe the ballhog, I just can't emphasize this point enough:

1. Our starting PG wouldn't start for any other NBA team.
2. Our starting PF (Kwame) wouldn't start for any other NBA team.
3. Our starting C wouldn't start for any other NBA team.
4. Our starting SF can't hit a consistent 15 ft jumper, can't go right to save his life, is so damned inconsistent night in and night out that makes you wonder if he will ever live up to his talent, makes BONEHEAD plays on a consistent basis.

Now, really....can you blame PJ for giving Kobe the green light? And on a night where Kobe shoots 60 FREAKING percent from the field, people expect him to pass the rock?

Like Chauncey Billups so precisely stated: "when you got it going, you MUST keep it going."

Sadly, Kobe can't win. Haters will hate. Nothing can change that. I'm sure if Kobe passes more and we lose games because our other players can't hit shots.....people will say....SELFISH KOBE IS MORE CONCERNED ABOUT HIS IMAGE THAN WINNING.
borri

Postby Anthracit3 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:59 pm

That stuttering mofo, someone post a clip of him speaking.
Anthracit3

Postby MixtapeLive on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:56 pm

my question is WHY? why should kobe pass teh ball?? we all know we have a hell of alot more chance of making a shot when kobe has the ball than anyone else....

we all know the lakers NEED him...we proved us right soo many times...we all know without kobe controlling the ball the lakers are lost....we all saw how they lost to utah twice in a row, we all saw lamar odom cost us tthe game vs the kings..

and we all saw kobe taking over games and bring us back, or destroy teams...i mean we were down by 18 vs toronto at the begining of 3rd, we were getting blown by the wrost team in teh nba...it was obvious we needed another outburst from kobe to even have a chance to win the game...well he did..and it lead to being another historic night..and thanks to Mr. Bryant we won the game...now ppl wanna go out there and call him selfish....is it jealousy? is it cuz they cant handle seeing someone else reach greatness?? is it ignorance??

think about it..when ur (talkin in general) calling kobe selfish,when he takes 30+ shots....how do u know if he passed those shots his teamates are gonna make em?? i mean we have "worst good player" as our 2nd best player on the team who is probably the most incosistent player..and we have a 1stround pick who stil has to prove himself...we have a starting point gaurd that played 60 games in theNBDL last year...our backup center is a 18 year old kid striaght out of high skool...our center whos decent but cant manage to keep himself out of foul trouble..

i mean seriously...why do ppl blame kobe..who would u rather have take the shot??

if it means getting labeled selfish and a ball hog means winning games...i dont give a crap wat ppl label kobe anymore...and obviously for kobe and phil its all about the W's soo theyre fine with it..

if it means to be recognized as an unslefish player but ur gonna lsoe the game cuz ur teamates are inconsistent and u know u have a better chance u making hte hsot than they do but still pass the ball..thenn hmm u fill in the blank.

and if ur argument is kobe teamtes cant just stand aorund and watch him play...dont blame kobe for that, if they dont wanna move around and get in a position where they can get an open look..why blame kobe
PROUD TO BE LEBANESE
MixtapeLive

Postby Juronimo on Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:56 pm

I'm not putting this all on Kobe, he's doing what he feels needs to get done to win game and that's fine. I'm concerned with the other guys standing around and watching Kobe instead of moving without the ball and cutting. I'm concerned with the other guys giving the ball with 2 seconds on the shot clock, hoping Kobe bails them out. I'm concerned about the other guys tryign to force the ball to him while he's being double or even triple teamed without the ball.

Kwame, Mihm, Odom and co need to play their games and yes that means that they need the chance to succeed or fail. On this board, any player not name Kobe gets bashed to oblivion but I believe these guys have talent an can improve, but they need to have the opportunity to improve and receive the opportunity to improve, even if failure is risked. I'm talking long term here, over the next couple of years.

No one man team has won a championship, and yes, that's always the goal, regardless of who is on the court.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby hoopschick03 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:44 pm

It's really sad to me that some can't just encapsulate this incredible moment in history and just for this instance, leave the junk on the curb. Everything has to come with a 'yeah, but' as it relates to Kobe. For this one fine accomplishment, can people just get over it? :bang: :bang:
hoopschick03

Postby Frank The Tank on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:11 pm

Does anyone actually listen to what Ron Harper says these days anyway? If he wouldnt have said somthing negative about Kobe he would have never even been quoted and noone would even be thinking about him right now.
Frank The Tank

Postby kwamejoke on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:22 am

I totally agree with harper. It's ALL about team.
Mitch is the General Murder of lakers.

Caron > kwame BUT caron + chucky < kwame !
kwamejoke

Postby KOBE1KAMOTE on Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:32 am

Freekin Ruh-Ruh-Ruh-Ruh-Ruh-Ruh-Ron Har-Har-Har-Har-Har-Har-Harper and his stuttering a55... look at him tryin to talk 5h17... how can he say Kobe's his boy and not give the guy any credit?? What's Jordan's excuse??
KOBE1KAMOTE

Postby JSM on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:06 pm

Ron's a Piston now, he had to say that.

No not really. But I guess Ron isn't a fan of today's basketball. That's why he joined up with the Pistons, they play a lot of team ball. So, I guess he's happy there.

Making fun of him for his stuttering problems, come on now, that's a little low.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Kobe's 81