Smush's Post Game Interview Comments...TRouble Brewing?

Postby Triumph Jelani on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:50 am

ok, ok. 81 pts is 81pts. but the defense is what allowed them to catch up and win.
Triumph Jelani

Postby Chivalry on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:30 am

Smush's comments were a bit odd, but the questions from the interviewer were pretty lame as well.

I just hope that Kobe's performance sparks a fire within his teammates. No NBA player likes being called a CBA player, as these guys have consistently heard themselves referred to.

So Smush is more impressed with the team defense. Great. I'm impressed too. I'd be even more impressed if obviously talented, athletic players like Smush could focus for 48 minutes a game and play to their God-given talents so Kobe wouldn't have to throw down 81 to pull the team out of the dumpster.
Chivalry

Postby west-magic-kobe on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:46 am

it's not smush talking. maybe chucky atkins is channelling himself or posessed smush. if smush is hating on kobe it will come to light soon enough and ......... bye bye smush. no place for haters on this team.
sad to say but kobe has become all drama & no rings. TRADE THIS WEIRDO!
west-magic-kobe

Postby purplengoldjonez on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:51 am

wow, I got a totaly different feeling from what he said. I took as a a young man following the lead of his leader. With Kobe it is about wining first and foremost. Smush was right, the defense in the second half was intense. Even Kobe was more excited to get the W... Nothing more there that a young kid taking on the attitude of his leader
What is 17,505
purplengoldjonez

Postby Crono0801 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:07 am

purplengoldjonez wrote:wow, I got a totaly different feeling from what he said. I took as a a young man following the lead of his leader. With Kobe it is about wining first and foremost. Smush was right, the defense in the second half was intense. Even Kobe was more excited to get the W... Nothing more there that a young kid taking on the attitude of his leader

there you go.

There was nothing wrong with Smush's interview hes just making it sound like its normal for Kobe to go off like that.
RIP Daniel RIP Ana RIP Tom

The Greatest Game of All time
Crono0801
Good Call Stats Team

Postby b8 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:26 am

i dont think smush meant anything by saying how he saw kobe from the bench. i think he meant to say that he got to admire kobe as a spectator and got to really see how special a player kobe is in a new standpoint. No big deal.
b8

Postby UKUGA on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:46 am

The first interview on the radio was Chris Mihm.

All he did was talk about how great a night it was for Kobe.
UKUGA

Postby UGOTOWN3D on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:54 am

The only 3 people that can say something negative about this game go by the name of Phil Jackson, Tex Winter and Frank Hamblen (who told Phil to keep him in 'till he got 80) ... other than them, who the hell cares.

On a side note, I don't see Smush saying something negative about Kobe's 81 ... specially to the media.
UGOTOWN3D

Postby nameant on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:56 am

well i doubt kobe is that impressed with smush's D night in and night out. i know i'm not. :man5:
nameant

Postby msb212 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:12 pm

You have to consider the fact that it can't be much fun to be Smush playing alongside kobe. Fact is, Defense from everyone allowed Kobe to get that many points - and get the win. Lakers d in the 3rd quarter especially was pretty tight, and I guess SMush didn't want that to get lost in the hoopla.

Remember SMush used to be THE MAN, as he said not long ago in an interview. On the streets of ny and at Fordham, he had the adoration of the fans, etc. Now he is just the guy they turn to to give his impressions of Kobe. Add to that the obvious fact that kobe decided that no one else could do anything last night - and took over. SMush was actually having a decent game, and then it became the kobe show.

I do not think there is a problem.
msb212

Postby SKKG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:44 pm

So Smush doesn't have a sense of history as most people. Big freaking deal. You act as if everyone should have started groveling at Kobe's feet or something.

Truthfully, I was pretty nonchalant after yesterday's game, too. The excitement, as always, is in the journey, i.e. when we started counting up to 80 and anticipating him to make those shots, not the destination.

Now This is the Real Charlie's Angels!!!
Brother God, You Are Truly Blessed!
SKKG

Postby Ian meditates... on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:53 pm

Lakerman91 wrote:I watched it the interview and I noticed the same thing from Smush. But in the big picture it really doesnt matter if he has some kind of problem with kobe because Smush is a nobody.

I agree.

Though I have called Kobe a ballhog on many occasions, seeing as how this past week has gone, I don't blame him. To come out against TORONTO at HOME, a play soft ball is inexcusable.

In those situations like the Toronto game, I would keep taking shots until someone was serious enough to help out. We are at the half season point and these guys are still soft.

They have earned their background roles.
Ian meditates...

Postby NormNix on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:12 pm

I didn't see the interview. But the third quarter D WAS incredible. I thought coming back from that deficit after playing as horribly as they did was the story up until the middle of the 4th.

but again, I didn't see the interview. So I don't know if there was some anger behind it.
NormNix

Postby FeelGoodUnInc on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:13 pm

Smush was probably

A. Scared
B. Jealous
C. Distracted by the gorgeous blond interviewing him
FeelGoodUnInc

Postby Senator Kobe on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:23 pm

Don't know about you guys, but I was getting a bad vibe from Smush.

He was giving some mad looks at the questions about Kobe.

Saying over and over: Again, it was our team D that impressed me more.

WTF? Team D? what Team D?

Either that or he's really, really bad at sarcasm.
What? Nevermind...
Senator Kobe

Postby lakerfool on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:24 pm

Smush,

1. you haven't been playing D since the first 10 games of the season, i have no clue what you are talking about

2. I think everybody is overanalyzing it. 81 is nothing. Smush probably dropped 200 on some middle school kids when he was a street balla, so of course he's not too impressed :man10: :man10: :man10:
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby furious on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:36 pm

All pro players have big egos. Smush probably saw Lindsey Soto approaching and assumed she wanted to talk to him about the role he played in the win. He knew it couldn't have anything to do with offense so he stressed the great "team defense", which was actually sparked by Devean George. It must grate on any player's nerve to be asked for an interview and have them only ask about your teammate.
furious

Postby Senator Kobe on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:46 pm

furious wrote:All pro players have big egos. Smush probably saw Lindsey Soto approaching and assumed she wanted to talk to him about the role he played in the win. He knew it couldn't have anything to do with offense so he stressed the great "team defense", which was actually sparked by Devean George. It must grate on any player's nerve to be asked for an interview and have them only ask about your teammate.

Yah I know where you are comming from with this.

But when a player goes off for 81 points? What do you expect to be interviewed about?
What? Nevermind...
Senator Kobe

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:50 pm

I would be afraid if an essential part of the franchise would say something negative but Smush is nothing but a camp invite that mad ethe team and played good basketball. I´m really not worried. Smush has been a journey man and he feels, everybody feels he found a home here in LA: Why would he try to kill his carrier?
He knows its quiet a no-brainer to decide between Kobe and Smush...unless you value the teamdefense LOL :man10:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lakers3yo on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:21 pm

I don't think Smush was trying to disrespect Kobe, it was just a joke plus they have a good chemistry. I don't if you guys watch the post-game Kobe interview in FSN, he basically give a lot of credit to the team's defense and mostly the two bigs (Mihm and Kwame).
lakers3yo

Postby Cleansed on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:38 pm

borri wrote:
Maybe im reading into this too much, but i have noticed Smush and also Mihm's reactions to the Dallas game where Kobe went off, weren't too "excited" either.

Ive noticed this about Mihm as well for some time actually. I even posted about it a ways back. Even when he is "toeing the company line" it seems forced..............
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Kobe's Empire on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:03 pm

the down side to all of this is that the team is going to get sick of talking about Kobe and his greatness and feel like they are just duds.
Kobe's Empire

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:10 pm

Kobe's Empire wrote:the down side to all of this is that the team is going to get sick of talking about Kobe and his greatness and feel like they are just duds.

as long as they win (and they are on pace for the high 40's, maybe 50 or so in wins this season) and they realize they dont start on 90% of the rest of nba teams.... all will be good.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Muggle on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:10 pm

furious wrote:All pro players have big egos. Smush probably saw Lindsey Soto approaching and assumed she wanted to talk to him about the role he played in the win. He knew it couldn't have anything to do with offense so he stressed the great "team defense", which was actually sparked by Devean George. It must grate on any player's nerve to be asked for an interview and have them only ask about your teammate.

Yeah, I picked up on this too. I thought the interview was a little strange, but I think it was all about the way Lindsey Soto set up the entire interview. Not saying she needs to coddle anyone, or that Smush should feel hurt that it wasn't about him, but I got the very distinct impression that Lindsey was just looking for any Lakers player to interview about Kobe after the game, and happened to pull Smush.

She even made a little joke about Smush being the second highest scoring Laker that night with "Only 13...a bit less than Kobe", and I just got the impression that Smush didnt warm up to the way Soto set the table for the impromptu interview. And she rattled off some pretty obvious questions like "What was it like watching him out there", and "Do you think this is the greatest achievement ever?" etc. etc etc. that seemed to me would deem some boarderline sarcastic comments. I mean, what do you think it was like watching Kobe out there?

That, and I also agree that for these Lakers players to be around Kobe, after the 62 point game, what outsiders perceive as an incredible athlete simply blowing up, couldn't be a great surprise to them.

I highly HIGHLY doubt any animosity, jealousy, or ill-feelings are brewing from Smush or any other member of this team.
Muggle

Postby JerryWest_44 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:27 pm

GuRu wrote:IMO, Smush shouldnt even be giving interviews.

He should go straight from the court to the practice facility, then right to the film room, then right to the gym.

He made Mike James look like James Worthy tonight. This pattern is getting troubling. I cant beleive he had the balls to even mention the word defense in his post game interview. Im surprised he didnt sponataneously combust right there on the spot, stricken down by the basketball Gods.

Exactly -- it's not like their interviewing James Worthy or Coop -- two championship caliber players.
JerryWest_44

PreviousNext

Return to Kobe's 81