Smush's Post Game Interview Comments...TRouble Brewing?

Smush's Post Game Interview Comments...TRouble Brewing?

Postby borri on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:54 am

When interviewed by my favorite blonde sportsgirl from Fox (i dont recall her name): It went something like this:

Q: How impressed were you with Kobe's performance tonight? (paraphrasing, the gist of the question)

Smush: Well, i was more impressed with how WE played defense in the second half. Im not impressed with the 81 points because he has shown he can score before, 62 against Dallas. (Paraphrasing....but this was the gist of his comments.)

What struck me was this occurred immediately after the game was over. Smush was the first LA player interviewed. He didn't look all too happy.

I had expected him to say something like what Walton said..."it was incredible...". BUT the first words out of his mouth was that he was more impressed with how LA played D....

Especially on a historic night like tonight, when the Staples Center was electric with love for Kobe, I find it worrisome that Smush couldn't be a little more happy for his teammate Kobe.....

Fellas, is this a sign of trouble brewing in LA? Are the other Lakers besides LO and DG starting to get irritated at Kobe shooting so much?

Any thoughts? Or am I seeing something that really isn't there?
borri

Postby Xepa on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:58 am

i found that odd too. Especially after seeing the replay of it. I think it's either

1. sarcasm
2. flattering Kobe by saying they know he can do it whenever he wants
3.jelousy.

Obviously this post doesn't help clarify anything but it does bring up some interesting points.

Team FARMAR.
alleon86, The Bynum Supremacy, Barnstable, Massacre, nicehair911, melo061, Chicano, Kwame's Cake, lizlakers31, KobeBryant583, popo, C-mac 4.35, dj vitus, M4mb4 24
Xepa

Postby TalkieWalkie on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:59 am

I mean..seeing as how the whole media trashes all the Lakers outside of Kobe...its a miracle that there hasn't been any drama outta these guys...most people now believe that Kobe is playing on a WEAK squad...and hes "carrying a team of CBA players on his back".....and I don't think guys like SMush and Odom feel to happy about that statement...

But I don't any of the guys are angry at Kobe...its just the media...fans...and everyone else selling them short and thats whats irking guys like Smush......

I just hope these guys can respond and show that Kobe DOES have the support of a solid team......
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:07 am

i found it as...

"kobe is the man, and were not suprised cause....thats kobe"

type of deal.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby GuRu on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:11 am

Definitely interesting comments......
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby Frank The Tank on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:23 am

I watched it the interview and I noticed the same thing from Smush. But in the big picture it really doesnt matter if he has some kind of problem with kobe because Smush is a nobody.
Frank The Tank

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:24 am

DMK wrote:i found it as...

type of deal.

yea.. he said when he sat on the bench and got to watch kobe he realized how amazing he really was. but he did keep going back to the team defense thing which isnt really surprising. thats what phil jacksons been preaching all year. he wanted the lakers to become a more formidable team on the defensive end because he knows they can score simply based on the fact that kobe is on the team.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby GuRu on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:31 am

IMO, Smush shouldnt even be giving interviews.

He should go straight from the court to the practice facility, then right to the film room, then right to the gym.

He made Mike James look like James Worthy tonight. This pattern is getting troubling. I cant beleive he had the balls to even mention the word defense in his post game interview. Im surprised he didnt sponataneously combust right there on the spot, stricken down by the basketball Gods.
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:41 am

DMK wrote:i found it as...

type of deal.
Same here...

Oh well we'll see how this one plays out. Remember, we're in Lakerland, the house of drama.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:43 am

GuRu wrote:IMO, Smush shouldnt even be giving interviews.

He should go straight from the court to the practice facility, then right to the film room, then right to the gym.

He made Mike James look like James Worthy tonight. This pattern is getting troubling. I cant beleive he had the balls to even mention the word defense in his post game interview. Im surprised he didnt sponataneously combust right there on the spot, stricken down by the basketball Gods.

I agree... they made the craptors look like the suns for the 1st half and start of the 3rd..

Smush was only interviewed BECAUSE it was Kobe's historic night right? :man3: :man10:

I personally find i funny how he keeps talking about the 2nd half D... hmmm, maybe because the 1st half D was absolute garbation....maybe because he has been at the head along with O-Dumb of the lakers defensive lapses lately?... maybe... just maybe

DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:54 am

Usually Smush always looked like a cool cat.
Well tonight he was SMOKED by James.
He flopped at the three point line and James drilled a 3. He over and over was lost on transition defense and James drilled 3 after 3...
I don´t know how he means that "he is not impressed"
Either is means he is not SURPRISED or it means it was unimportant since they WON the game. Nontheless he knows EXACTLY that LA would send him to hell just like Chucky Atkins for his big mouth.
I don´t think he is dumb enaugh to make troubles...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Cleansed on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:57 am

KB8@CL wrote:Usually Smush always looked like a cool cat.
Well tonight he was SMOKED by James.
He flopped at the three point line and James drilled a 3. He over and over was lost on transition defense and James drilled 3 after 3...
I don´t know how he means that "he is not impressed"
Either is means he is not SURPRISED or it means it was unimportant since they WON the game. Nontheless he knows EXACTLY that LA would send him to hell just like Chucky Atkins for his big mouth.
I don´t think he is dumb enaugh to make troubles...

EXACTLY

Smush will fine himself trying to make an NBA squad in some other city real soon if the gums start flappin'.

IF he wasnt impressed with the way #8 bailed his arse out (the whole team) then he's either blind (explains the defense ) or clouded by envy.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby DMK on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:05 am

all jokes aside...

I think he was acknowledging the teams and his lack of defense, not only in the 1st half... but the last few games.

Also, i think he was trying to portray the idea that he is playing alongside Kobe and so far Kobe has made insane individual performances look....the norm.

Just my honest take.

DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Kasumi on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:13 am

I think he was trying to give the company line, that it's a team and defense is important to the team. He did say that he doesn't often get to sit and just watch Kobe's greatness because he's usually playing alongside him but when he did sit he got to watch him and was amazed.

I didn't see anything wrong with his interview.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby borri on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:32 am

missmyzte wrote:I think he was trying to give the company line, that it's a team and defense is important to the team. He did say that he doesn't often get to sit and just watch Kobe's greatness because he's usually playing alongside him but when he did sit he got to watch him and was amazed.

I didn't see anything wrong with his interview.

You know, those were my EXACT thoughts at first too. But the more i think of it, the more it kinda troubles me.

Really, this was a FREAKING NIGHT OF HISTORICAL IMPORTANCE!!! 81 Freaking points!!!!....and Smush keeps plugging the second half defense OVER AND OVER AGAIN. It seems like he was trying to say:

"Hey we are a team and I am part of the team too. It wasn't all Kobe tonight you know. Plz don't forget that despite what Kobe did tonight."

Maybe im reading into this too much, but i have noticed Smush and also Mihm's reactions to the Dallas game where Kobe went off, weren't too "excited" either.

All i know is, if one of my teammates goes off for 81 and I am asked if i was impressed, the "logical" thing to say first (if i respected and enjoyed playing with that teammate) would be "HELL YES" and NOT "I am more impressed with our second half TEAM defense....."
borri

Postby stojan on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:42 am

mihms post game comment wasnt to flash hot aswell he was qouted saying "im not paid to score kobe is" or something along the lines of that.

im pretty sure he was just being sarcastic so ill talk with a grain of salt.
stojan

Postby JAD on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:43 am

Smush has only one thing to think about:

Rest of the team 14 of 42

Kobe 28 of 46
Chauncy Quote:

"We've been together so long and in so many tough situations, we never get rattled. Somebody is always coming up big down the stretch." Fickle Laker fans please take note.
JAD

Postby 8kobe8 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:30 am

I dont think there was anything to be happy about in yesterday's game.
I hope Phil talks to Kobe this cannot happen everytime.
In the long run, this is not going to help the lakers, because i dont know which free agent will want to come hear, seeing kobe taking shots in the 40's.
8kobe8

Postby GuRu on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:32 am

8kobe8 wrote:I dont think there was anything to be happy about in yesterday's game.
In the long run, this is not going to help the lakers, because i dont know which free agent will want to come hear, seeing kobe taking shots in the 40's.

oh wait....youre being serious?
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby flexxdzl on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:34 am

I found it as ..saying Hey ...I am tired o Kobe this and kobe that...or mabe they are not having fun playing with kobe cuz it is all about him!

You know the statement to me was like..seeing hailey's comet ..a kinda of once in a lifetime thing and and being asked about it ....

So what did you think about seeing the comet? Smush: I was more inmpressed with the ceral i ate this morning
flexxdzl

Postby 8kobe8 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:04 am

GuRu wrote:
8kobe8 wrote:I dont think there was anything to be happy about in yesterday's game.

YES I AM
8kobe8

Postby flexxdzl on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:17 am

8kobe8 wrote:
GuRu wrote:

YES I AM

shots in the 40's? at 60%
3 pt shots above 50%
free throws 90%

Please tell Kobe he can not do this everytime! Hurry up phil!

but on a real note..this is historic what you witnessed has never been seen in Life anywhere ( wilts wasn't taped)..you have just been exposed to the greatest preformance in the history of all sports.

As Far as FA's goes...Name one FA of importance that cam to play with MJ?
flexxdzl

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:17 am

What shocked me the most was when Smush said that it was incredible watching it from the bench, but he emphasized "on the bench." Hmmm.... :disagree:

Kobe made history tonight, not only franchise history, but NBA history. This has got to be THE BEST individual performance. Kobe got the Lakers the win, and the Lakers were down by like 15 points in the 3rd. He got them out of that, and Phil didn't take Kobe out, and the rest of his teammates were giving him the ball because it was his night to shine. It was a memorable day, and all Smush could say was that he was MORE impressed with how they played D.... Gimme a break.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby cthroatgtr on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:24 am

I think it was sarcasm. If anything Smush was probably not happy at how the team played and himself included and was trying to be cute. Otherwise if he was mad, he should look no further than himself. This was not a case of Kobe overshooting. This was Kobe rescuing the team from sure defeat single handedly and basically overwhelming the Raptors. If the teammates don't see that, there is something wrong.
cthroatgtr

Postby LakeShow09 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:45 am

Did you even watch the game? The rest of the team couldn't hit any shots, it was go all Kobe or LOSE
LakeShow09

Next

Return to Kobe's 81