The Impact of 81

The Impact of 81

Postby Iceberg Slim on Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:56 am

Greatness is measured in a plethora of various forms, ideals, and sentiments by those discussing and dissecting the topic. Impact, is and are the soundwaves, shockwaves, goosebumps, and brain numbing nostalgia that warps its sightseeers, listeners, and beholders of the event. January 22, 2006. Greatness and impact occured simultaneously.

On March 2, 1962 a man by the name of Wilton Norman Chamberlain gave basketball fans that same feeling. And there have been others in various sports as well. Roger Maris' 61st homerun. Rocky Marciano's defeat of the "Brown Bomber" Joe Louis. Muhammad Ali's knockout over the most feared man on the planet at that time, George Foreman. And even Michael Jordan's right to left switch of hands in mid-air over a hapless Los Angeles Lakers team in route to his 1st championship, and metaphorical genesis of his 6 titles in 8 years for the critically acclaimed "greatest basketball player ever" will be remembered as one of the events that changed the entire world of sports in a random second of time. January 22, 2006...Kobe Bryant scored 81 points in a professional basketball contest. It will be recorded as the second most points ever scored in a professional contest in NBA history...behind of course...Wilt Chamberlain's century mark in 1962.

Kobe Bryant's performance will forever be marked as a historic date in the annuls of sports history. Every single kid from America to Australia, who knows anything about basketball, is talking about this in lunch, on the playground, in class, and on the bus ride home to catch the highlights on sportscenter. Every single businessman or woman who knows anything about basketball is talking about last night directly before and after the business briefing, and during happy hour. Grandpa and Grandma who seen the likes of Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, and so many others perform on levels they have never seen before, have witnessed something that has probably made them feel like a kid again. As if it's the 1960's again. As if swing dancing is the popular style. As if Elvis is alive and well. The older generation, specifically them...are going to appreciate this way more than any young'n born after the year 1973...Wilt's last year as a professional. For ANYONE that knows ANYTHING about this game that is held near and dear to our hearts, many of them will hold this as the new bookmark for greatness.

I was born when Jordan was born into the league. 1984. I grew as his career grew. I marveled at the athleticism, the scoring outputs, the domination, the peformances...HIM, in general. He is the sole reason I'm even typing this to you. He's the sole reason I fell in love with a bouncy orange colored ball. Admittingly, I wish I was the age I was now to fully understand the concept of his greatness considering I'm a much matured, seasoned, logical observer of this beautiful game. But my mother having me when she did and Kobe Bryant doing what he does nightly, has given something that I can never ever replace. It's called insight. I don't have to cringe, be saddend, or jealous over any other elder of mine that's seen the great ones perform. I just seen Kobe Bryant score 81 points. And ladies and gentleman, my world will never be the same again.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Image
User avatar
Iceberg Slim

 
Posts: 4960
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:38 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby Startrex on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:01 am

Now that question of whether he belongs to top 20 is irrelevant anymore. It's been reduced to the Top 10. :man9:
Purple and 24K Gold
User avatar
Startrex

 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:25 am

Postby Iceberg Slim on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:03 am

Startrex wrote:Now that question of whether he belongs to top 20 is irrelevant anymore. It's been reduced to the Top 10. :man9:


It certaintly has.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Image
User avatar
Iceberg Slim

 
Posts: 4960
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:38 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby KoOL pLaYa C on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:25 am

I wonder Slim if Kobe is still a "6'7" Allen Iverson"??? :man10:
User avatar
KoOL pLaYa C

 
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:54 pm

Postby Iceberg Slim on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:33 am

KoOL pLaYa C wrote:I wonder Slim if Kobe is still a "6'7" Allen Iverson"??? :man10:



Lol. At times he can be. But last night, he was the black Jesus.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Image
User avatar
Iceberg Slim

 
Posts: 4960
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:38 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Postby KoOL pLaYa C on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:34 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:
KoOL pLaYa C wrote:I wonder Slim if Kobe is still a "6'7" Allen Iverson"??? :man10:



Lol. At times he can be. But last night, he was the black Jesus.


:man10:

real talk
User avatar
KoOL pLaYa C

 
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:54 pm

Postby bumrusherer on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:32 am

nice post slim.

i am not ashamd to admit, that i had a few tears in my eyes last night. I had the flu, so i couldnt smile nor cheer. Crying was the only emotion that i could let out.

I am worried that we will take this guy for granted. Infact, the league has taken him for granted for a LONG time. To have 1 player who combines supreme talent, work ethic and single minded desire is RARE.

i feel lucky to be a Laker fan and i feel sorry for the people that claim that he just wants the scoring title.
bumrusherer

 
Posts: 9864
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:26 am
Location: Neverland

Postby venturalakersfan on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:44 am

Personaly, I consider Wilt leading the league in assists more impressive than him scoring 100 in a game. And I consider Kobe's 3 rings much more impressive than scoring 81 in a game.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:22 pm

great post Slim.

I for myself can also say what Kobe did shocked the basketball world. Its probably the biggest story of the year. The fact that someone REALLY attacks Wilts numbers is incredible. I couldn´t even dream someone would get that close to Wilt Chamberlains immortal performences. And all that in a league where the quality is so high and where you fight against tough defense night in and night out. Koeb Bryant scored 81 points on 46 shots, Chamberlain 100 on 63 shots. Kobe has done something that will always remind in your mind. Something has definitely changed. Maybe thats a wake upo call, that HEY here is GREATNESS, I mean not top 15, I mean not top 10 but top 5. Maybe it was a sign that we should pay more attention to everything Kobe Bryant is doing.

Maybe its a scream to become aware what a single player is able to do. Maybe its time to realize that Kobe Bryant is making serious history. I mean you won´t get 81 when you have a good night. Thats something only 2 guys have ever done. This is something that will always remind in your mind. Thats something that seperates you from everything else.
You know untill YESTERDAY I has my own Kobe Bryant world. Since today my world crushed and I´m trying to find a new one where Kobe fits.
Something in my basketball mind has changed. This is a memorial night and I´m really glad, I was a part of it and witnessed MAYBE the greatest single performence ever and again its happening to the Lakers....
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55536
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby lakerfool on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:27 pm

This definately puts him top five for greatest individual players of all time
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
User avatar
lakerfool

 
Posts: 14688
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Somewhere in China jocking Yao

Postby venturalakersfan on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:34 pm

KB8@CL wrote:great post Slim.

I for myself can also say what Kobe did shocked the basketball world. Its probably the biggest story of the year. ....


It is thinking like this that really gets to me. If this were golf, ice skating, or bowling, then I would agree. But basketball is a team game. The winner of the Super Bowl, or of the NCAA Bball tournamet, or the NBA finals, or the World Series, will be a much bigger story than Kobe scoring 81. Because like basketball, they are team games, and the success of the team is what matters, not the individual. I am glad Kobe scored 81, but more happy that the Lakers won. But without a title, what does it mean? It falls along the lines of the Kings winning the Pacific Division, it is an accomplishment that those who don't win can talk about. Now if the Lakers win the title, then it takes on a different meaning.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Postby d.James on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:37 pm

Great Post, Slim.

When talking about the legacy of this day, it's important to note that outside of Los Angeles, I believe he's put the first sentence on his legacy without Shaquille O'Neal. People can lessen the accomplishment of three Championship rings because he had Shaq, but no one can take 81 points away from him. Bryant just went from ballhog to good enough to be one in terms of public perception. There are those who critcized the 1970s scoring machines of David Thompson and George Gervin, even Wilt - but they occupy bitter fringes of water-cooler debate, not a consensus.

As you use this record to appreciate Bryant through the prizm of Michael Jordan's greatness, I have to use it to bury the dead skeletons in the closet. In the first summer I frequented this site, the Colorado pre-trial hearings in full-swing, Sprite dumping Kobe as a sponsor, and Shaquille O'Neal promising Championships to South Beach, there was much debate over what Bryant's legacy would be moving forward. Just 18 months before he was critized for not having enough "street cred" to be that transcendant star of the NBA. The marketing machine geared behind sensational rookie Lebron James.

I said he had to mature as a basketball player. I said his team wouldn't go anywhere because I watched Stackhouse try to do the same thing once Grant Hill left. I said he wasn't marketable, and LakersGuru, better known now as simply Guru, said he thought Kobe Bryant had the talent in him to be something special in terms of leading a team without a dominant post presence to rebound the basketball and shut down the lane.

It became very heated at times because there was no proof for either case that summer. No one had seen Bryant on the court without Shaq yet. But scoring 81 points is a mythic number. This wasn't a Michael Jordan record, this is genuine NBA history. He came 19 points away from an unbreakable record.

I was wrong. Guru, you were right. I am drinking my Sprite, eating my McDonald's hamburger, talking about Bryant's greatness. If anyone can lead a team to greatness without a post presence, it's him (although I remain skeptical anyone can do it).

And NeoSoul, his Hall election is a slam-dunk; no need to evaluate his career. The man just touched the face of Wilt.
With expectation comes responsibility. Respect is earned. When opportunity arises, preparation will calm nerves, inspire confidence, and help you to realize the moment. Where there is failure is a blueprint of how to improve. To fail to learn, even with talent, makes you ordinary. To learn from all experiences is to learn to become the best.
www.facebook.com/loudaboutbasketball
User avatar
d.James
Clublakers Rep: Pistons
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:14 pm

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:01 pm

venturalakersfan wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:great post Slim.

I for myself can also say what Kobe did shocked the basketball world. Its probably the biggest story of the year. ....


It is thinking like this that really gets to me. If this were golf, ice skating, or bowling, then I would agree. But basketball is a team game. The winner of the Super Bowl, or of the NCAA Bball tournamet, or the NBA finals, or the World Series, will be a much bigger story than Kobe scoring 81. Because like basketball, they are team games, and the success of the team is what matters, not the individual. I am glad Kobe scored 81, but more happy that the Lakers won. But without a title, what does it mean? It falls along the lines of the Kings winning the Pacific Division, it is an accomplishment that those who don't win can talk about. Now if the Lakers win the title, then it takes on a different meaning.

Well the NBA title happens every year, 81 points is probably once in a life time opportunity. you jhave to change your view to understand it.
OF COURSE the ring is worth more than ANY personal accolade and Kobe would change his points for a ring any day, nontheless the rings go out somewhere every year, what Kobe did has OLNY once happened before in the history. IMO thats a different. You can´t compare the LOB Trophy to Kobes performence. Sorry
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55536
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:22 pm

Great posts from both Slim and d.James ... we won't forget this one for a while.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby SKKG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:36 pm

Leave it to ventura to spew out the corny company lines. Funny thing is I don't think even you believe that. Please spare us the rhetoric already.
Image

Now This is the Real Charlie's Angels!!!
Brother God, You Are Truly Blessed!
SKKG

 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:44 am

Postby SKKG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:44 pm

KB8@CL wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:great post Slim.

I for myself can also say what Kobe did shocked the basketball world. Its probably the biggest story of the year. ....


It is thinking like this that really gets to me. If this were golf, ice skating, or bowling, then I would agree. But basketball is a team game. The winner of the Super Bowl, or of the NCAA Bball tournamet, or the NBA finals, or the World Series, will be a much bigger story than Kobe scoring 81. Because like basketball, they are team games, and the success of the team is what matters, not the individual. I am glad Kobe scored 81, but more happy that the Lakers won. But without a title, what does it mean? It falls along the lines of the Kings winning the Pacific Division, it is an accomplishment that those who don't win can talk about. Now if the Lakers win the title, then it takes on a different meaning.

Well the NBA title happens every year, 81 points is probably once in a life time opportunity. you jhave to change your view to understand it.
OF COURSE the ring is worth more than ANY personal accolade and Kobe would change his points for a ring any day, nontheless the rings go out somewhere every year, what Kobe did has OLNY once happened before in the history. IMO thats a different. You can´t compare the LOB Trophy to Kobes performence. Sorry


Assuming that the ring doesn't affect his status of belong to the greats or greatest, I'd take the 100-point perfomance over the ring. For example, say he could win just one more ring, i.e to prove that he could win one without Shaq, then I'd rather trade one of his three rings when he won with Shaq for the 100-point game.

The point is that 3 or 4 rings won't make him better than Jordan or Magic, and as long as he still has the ring that proved that he won without Shaq, then taking away one of the three rings that he won with Shaq, won't mean much in the grand scheme of things.
Image

Now This is the Real Charlie's Angels!!!
Brother God, You Are Truly Blessed!
SKKG

 
Posts: 2749
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 11:44 am

Postby nameant on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:47 pm

venturalakersfan wrote:It is thinking like this that really gets to me. If this were golf, ice skating, or bowling, then I would agree. But basketball is a team game. The winner of the Super Bowl, or of the NCAA Bball tournamet, or the NBA finals, or the World Series, will be a much bigger story than Kobe scoring 81. Because like basketball, they are team games, and the success of the team is what matters, not the individual. I am glad Kobe scored 81, but more happy that the Lakers won. But without a title, what does it mean? It falls along the lines of the Kings winning the Pacific Division, it is an accomplishment that those who don't win can talk about. Now if the Lakers win the title, then it takes on a different meaning.


yeah...81 points by a guard can be compared to the Kings winning the Pacific Division. good comparison. in case you didnt watch the game...KOBE stepped up b/c our TEAM was playing like morons. he turned it up to another level and the lakers as a TEAM turned up their DEFENSIVE INTENSITY to match kobe's intensity. we won this game b/c kobe, but not just b/c his points.
User avatar
nameant

 
Posts: 25329
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:30 pm

Postby KobeBryant42pointsathalf on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:49 pm

Impact is and are? nice grammer. Stop trying to act too fancy. :mhihi:
HoopsVibe: Kobe's 2006-2007 projection

Kobe Bryant is about to have the single greatest individual year in the history of basketball. Kobe has come to the point where he’s about to put it all together, he will be great, his team will win, and just to put some icing on it, somewhere along the way this season, Kobe will score 100 points in a single game.
User avatar
KobeBryant42pointsathalf

 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:06 am
Location: Orange County,CA

Postby venturalakersfan on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:04 pm

nameant wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:It is thinking like this that really gets to me. If this were golf, ice skating, or bowling, then I would agree. But basketball is a team game. The winner of the Super Bowl, or of the NCAA Bball tournamet, or the NBA finals, or the World Series, will be a much bigger story than Kobe scoring 81. Because like basketball, they are team games, and the success of the team is what matters, not the individual. I am glad Kobe scored 81, but more happy that the Lakers won. But without a title, what does it mean? It falls along the lines of the Kings winning the Pacific Division, it is an accomplishment that those who don't win can talk about. Now if the Lakers win the title, then it takes on a different meaning.


yeah...81 points by a guard can be compared to the Kings winning the Pacific Division. good comparison.


It doesn't matter, at the end of the season, if the Lakers don't win a title, Laker fans will be talking instead about how Kobe scored 81. How is that different from the Kings fans, after they don't win a title, talking about how they won the Pacific? They are just postitives that a non-winning team can take from a season. Not that they are bad, but winning a title is preferable.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Postby Lakersbro on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:16 pm

This is what I think of Kobe's 81

- National Holiday

- Statue of Kobe in front of Staples

- All Kobe haters shall remain quiet for the rest of their lives.

Of course there is some sarcasm in this post yet some may want all 3 to happen. hahahah.
Kobe.....the best player ever.
Lakersbro

 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:09 pm
Location: Formerly Orange County now W LA

Postby lilkhmerkid4u on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:23 pm

Image
User avatar
lilkhmerkid4u

 
Posts: 2929
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Chattanooga,TN

Postby BDG on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:36 pm

venturalakersfan wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:great post Slim.

I for myself can also say what Kobe did shocked the basketball world. Its probably the biggest story of the year. ....


It is thinking like this that really gets to me. If this were golf, ice skating, or bowling, then I would agree. But basketball is a team game. The winner of the Super Bowl, or of the NCAA Bball tournamet, or the NBA finals, or the World Series, will be a much bigger story than Kobe scoring 81. Because like basketball, they are team games, and the success of the team is what matters, not the individual. I am glad Kobe scored 81, but more happy that the Lakers won. But without a title, what does it mean? It falls along the lines of the Kings winning the Pacific Division, it is an accomplishment that those who don't win can talk about. Now if the Lakers win the title, then it takes on a different meaning.
And it's thinking like this that reinforces the perception of Laker fans as spoiled.

It is the biggest story of the year in sports thus far. It is the biggest story in the NBA.

Sure basketball is a team game. But I hope you were watching when our "team" was out there in the first half and was getting blown out by the Raptors with Kobe on the bench.

He did what it took to win. Period.

If that meant scoring 81 points, so be it. The man single-handedly won the game for us, at least in the 2nd half. If you're shooting 60%, why pass it to your teammates, who were collectively shooting 30% at that point?

Yes, we had a great run of 3 titles. How many teams can say that? But let's be real. We are not contenders right now. The supporting cast surrounding Kobe Bryant is piss-poor and apparently we'll be waiting to clear cap room to compete.

He did something that hadn't been done in 40+ years. He did something that had not been done since the shot clock was around. He did something that 99.9% of the players who have ever played in this league haven't even come close to.

This should be a bigger story than the NBA champion. There's a champion every year, and we applaud that success. Kobe's performance takes nothing away from that. But name the last time you've heard a guy score 81 points in 41 minutes?

I can't understand how you're trying to taint this classic example of greatness by comparing it to something that Laker fans mock and laugh at every day.

Yes, a title is preferable right now, but why even mention that? Hoping for a title this year is fools gold. Unrealistic. How that somehow can bring down the greatest single-game scoring performance in NBA history is beyond me.

When Wilt scored 100, his team didn't win the title that year. Does anyone care about that?

I just think it's unfortunate when such greatness is compared to something that is mocked. But if you can't enjoy it, all I have to say is, "You're missing out."

As a Laker fan, let's show some more support to the guy. He'll bring us a title once management surrounds him with adequate talent.

Until then, the least we can do is appreciate the mental and physical strength he possesses that wants to win at all costs.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby DarthRekal on Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:13 pm

BD...effin G :bow: .......the man only speaks truth folx..... i'm a KOBE pessimist.... but dude FRICKIN 81 pts..by a LAKER.... history has been dealt..dont fall by the wayside...relish in it...folx....show it to your kids...its not gonna happen again anytime soon...unless Kobe "The Human Torch" Bryant...catches fire again...


FLAME ON! :mad1: :jam2: :bow:
User avatar
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster
 
Posts: 21607
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: In The Refridgerator

Postby Muggle on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:42 pm

BryantDunkGiant wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:great post Slim.

I for myself can also say what Kobe did shocked the basketball world. Its probably the biggest story of the year. ....


It is thinking like this that really gets to me. If this were golf, ice skating, or bowling, then I would agree. But basketball is a team game. The winner of the Super Bowl, or of the NCAA Bball tournamet, or the NBA finals, or the World Series, will be a much bigger story than Kobe scoring 81. Because like basketball, they are team games, and the success of the team is what matters, not the individual. I am glad Kobe scored 81, but more happy that the Lakers won. But without a title, what does it mean? It falls along the lines of the Kings winning the Pacific Division, it is an accomplishment that those who don't win can talk about. Now if the Lakers win the title, then it takes on a different meaning.
And it's thinking like this that reinforces the perception of Laker fans as spoiled.

It is the biggest story of the year in sports thus far. It is the biggest story in the NBA.

Sure basketball is a team game. But I hope you were watching when our "team" was out there in the first half and was getting blown out by the Raptors with Kobe on the bench.

He did what it took to win. Period.

If that meant scoring 81 points, so be it. The man single-handedly won the game for us, at least in the 2nd half. If you're shooting 60%, why pass it to your teammates, who were collectively shooting 30% at that point?

Yes, we had a great run of 3 titles. How many teams can say that? But let's be real. We are not contenders right now. The supporting cast surrounding Kobe Bryant is piss-poor and apparently we'll be waiting to clear cap room to compete.

He did something that hadn't been done in 40+ years. He did something that had not been done since the shot clock was around. He did something that 99.9% of the players who have ever played in this league haven't even come close to.

This should be a bigger story than the NBA champion. There's a champion every year, and we applaud that success. Kobe's performance takes nothing away from that. But name the last time you've heard a guy score 81 points in 41 minutes?

I can't understand how you're trying to taint this classic example of greatness by comparing it to something that Laker fans mock and laugh at every day.

Yes, a title is preferable right now, but why even mention that? Hoping for a title this year is fools gold. Unrealistic. How that somehow can bring down the greatest single-game scoring performance in NBA history is beyond me.

When Wilt scored 100, his team didn't win the title that year. Does anyone care about that?

I just think it's unfortunate when such greatness is compared to something that is mocked. But if you can't enjoy it, all I have to say is, "You're missing out."

As a Laker fan, let's show some more support to the guy. He'll bring us a title once management surrounds him with adequate talent.

Until then, the least we can do is appreciate the mental and physical strength he possesses that wants to win at all costs.



BDG.... :lg2k3: I was going to comment on venturalakersfan's post but you explained it beautifully. Props!!

venturalakersfan, I get the gist of your thinking here...when this season is over we can't toot our horns as loudly as the team that wins the trophy, but come on, you have to recognize last night for what it was...HISTORICAL.

I mean, you mention if the Lakers don't win the title, then Kobe's 81 will be about as significant as the King's being the Pacific Division Champs. I see the line of thinking you're going with, but seriously, will anyone other than Kings fans really remember years later that the Kings won their division?

Nope. Not happening

Will NBA fans from ALL OVER THE WORLD remember Kobe's 81 point performance as being SECOND ONLY TO WILT?!?!?

Abso-freakin-lutely man...and you know this!!

I don't know if Wilt's Sixers won the championship title that year he dropped 100, but if they hadn't...you would seriously question or try to take away from the greatest single point performance in NBA history? I would take a guess to assume you wouldn't, so why do it for the player who has the 2nd greatest single scoring performance??

Right now on BSPN radio, it's a bonafide Kobe love-fest, and I really liked what one caller had to say...

Don't hate, APPRECIATE, the great #8!

If anything, appreciate the historical accomplishment he made last night. All of us got to be a part of history in a way, just by saying we watched that game, or we were at that game, and actually saw history in the making. It's so great, I actually got goosebumps typing this. Way to go Kobe...you've made us all proud (and Dr. Buss a VERY happy camper!)

Edit: Slim's post also gave me goosebumps. Really good post, the perspective you put it in was great. And correct me if I'm wrong...you were born in 84, making you only 21-22?! I figured you to be at least 29-30, considering how well thought out and educated your posts are. Well done sir...props to you too!!
User avatar
Muggle

 
Posts: 989
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:13 pm

Re: The Impact of 81

Postby Frank The Tank on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:16 pm

Iceberg Slim wrote:Greatness is measured in a plethora of various forms, ideals, and sentiments by those discussing and dissecting the topic. Impact, is and are the soundwaves, shockwaves, goosebumps, and brain numbing nostalgia that warps its sightseeers, listeners, and beholders of the event. January 22, 2006. Greatness and impact occured simultaneously.

On March 2, 1962 a man by the name of Wilton Norman Chamberlain gave basketball fans that same feeling. And there have been others in various sports as well. Roger Maris' 61st homerun. Rocky Marciano's defeat of the "Brown Bomber" Joe Louis. Muhammad Ali's knockout over the most feared man on the planet at that time, George Foreman. And even Michael Jordan's right to left switch of hands in mid-air over a hapless Los Angeles Lakers team in route to his 1st championship, and metaphorical genesis of his 6 titles in 8 years for the critically acclaimed "greatest basketball player ever" will be remembered as one of the events that changed the entire world of sports in a random second of time. January 22, 2006...Kobe Bryant scored 81 points in a professional basketball contest. It will be recorded as the second most points ever scored in a professional contest in NBA history...behind of course...Wilt Chamberlain's century mark in 1962.

Kobe Bryant's performance will forever be marked as a historic date in the annuls of sports history. Every single kid from America to Australia, who knows anything about basketball, is talking about this in lunch, on the playground, in class, and on the bus ride home to catch the highlights on sportscenter. Every single businessman or woman who knows anything about basketball is talking about last night directly before and after the business briefing, and during happy hour. Grandpa and Grandma who seen the likes of Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, and so many others perform on levels they have never seen before, have witnessed something that has probably made them feel like a kid again. As if it's the 1960's again. As if swing dancing is the popular style. As if Elvis is alive and well. The older generation, specifically them...are going to appreciate this way more than any young'n born after the year 1973...Wilt's last year as a professional. For ANYONE that knows ANYTHING about this game that is held near and dear to our hearts, many of them will hold this as the new bookmark for greatness.

I was born when Jordan was born into the league. 1984. I grew as his career grew. I marveled at the athleticism, the scoring outputs, the domination, the peformances...HIM, in general. He is the sole reason I'm even typing this to you. He's the sole reason I fell in love with a bouncy orange colored ball. Admittingly, I wish I was the age I was now to fully understand the concept of his greatness considering I'm a much matured, seasoned, logical observer of this beautiful game. But my mother having me when she did and Kobe Bryant doing what he does nightly, has given something that I can never ever replace. It's called insight. I don't have to cringe, be saddend, or jealous over any other elder of mine that's seen the great ones perform. I just seen Kobe Bryant score 81 points. And ladies and gentleman, my world will never be the same again.
Nice But, last night you said you didnt even watch the game :man3:
User avatar
Frank The Tank

 
Posts: 4810
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:20 pm

Next

Return to Kobe's 81

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.