Heir'z Corner: The Sun Has Set in Phoenix

Postby Heir on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:15 pm

I'll just be plain, simple, and to the point:

The Phoenix Suns aren't one of the premier teams anymore, nor are they title contenders.

There isn't a guarantee that they'll make the playoffs at all. They're good enough, but being good enough and actually having the drive and foundation to turn your potential into results are two completely different things.

I'll even go as far as to say that we'll sweep them in our season series this year. I don't see them keeping up with us over a 48 minute game and actually being a threat in the closing minutes. Kobe enjoys playing against them too much because he knows he can do whatever he wants against their defense and adding more bullets in our gun(Bynum and Gasol) only will make it easier for him.

Steve Nash vs Derek Fisher- Nash is still one of the best point guards in the game today and even though he's getting older, he still has a lot left in the tank. The biggest question mark concerning him is whether or not he'll come into training camp motivated about getting his team back on top or if he's supremely frustrated with how last season concluded. He knows that having Shaq won't do well for his team as far as motivation goes. Meanwhile, Derek's role in our offense will diminish with Bynum back, which just means that he'll have more energy to contain Nash on the defensive end and come up with big plays on offense when we need them from players outside of our Big 4. Nash will have the better stats, but Derek will win the overall matchup.

Raja Bell vs Kobe Bryant- Last season Kobe dominated him like no other. He's never had too many instances where Bell put up a real fight, but last year he showed what he can really do against him when he has other options and doesn't have to score every trip down to keep us in the game. This year we've added a 7'2, 285 giant with 9% body fat in the post to make it even easier for him. Good luck, Raja. Not really, but yeah.

Grant Hill vs Lamar Odom- This matchup brings a smile to my face. Why? Because I can only imagine what Phil plans to do against this team with so many options. We can slide Lamar down into the post against Hill anytime we want, while Pau can be around the elbow. That benefits us because Hill isn't strong, nor athletic enough to bang with Lamar in the post. It also moves Stoudemire away from the basket so he can't get rebounds. Hill's quickness on offense might be a problem for Lamar, but if we play him in the post on a consistent basis against Hill it'll wear him down. Just like he did to Marion in 2006.

Amare Stoudemire vs Pau Gasol- Stoudemire was scary after they acquired Shaq and I expect him to be even more aggressive this year since he's one of the few players on this team who has motivation. But against Pau and the mighty Lakers, that motivation will come up short. Pau's length gave Boozer, Duncan, and Garnett trouble in the playoffs and I expect him to do the same to Stoudemire. It's possible to be too aggressive and that's what will most likely be his downfall versus Pau. Even if he does get his, there's no one else out there who Phoenix can go to consistently and get results, so it'll be a one man show.

Shaquille O'Neal vs Andrew Bynum- Finally, Shaq and Andrew will battle it out for the first time since....well, you know. According to Mitch, Drew looks even better this summer than he did last year- keep in mind that he's coming off surgery. How was Shaq's offseason, you ask? He dissed Kobe, apparently threatened a woman, and aged even more. Will Shaq even be able to keep up with Drew in terms of endurance over a 48 minute game? We'll see.

Closing Thoughts:

Phoenix isn't on our level anymore and we WILL sweep them this year.

If any Suns fan disagrees, this is a debate I'm ready to have. Bring it.

President of Royal Freshness Entertainment

Yes We Can
Heir

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:42 pm

:jam2:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LDR on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:57 pm

I agree with most of what you said, but Fish taking the overall match-up with Nash?

:thezen:
LDR

Postby trodgers on Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:35 am

LDR wrote:I agree with most of what you said, but Fish taking the overall match-up with Nash?

Yeah, I agree with LDR here. Take a look at the benches, too. LA is DEEP.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:11 am

trodgers wrote:
LDR wrote:I agree with most of what you said, but Fish taking the overall match-up with Nash?

Yeah, I agree with LDR here. Take a look at the benches, too. LA is DEEP.

i think i understand where he's coming from. Fisher is a defensive guard and now with Bynum back in the lineup, he doesn't have to focus on scoring much giving him a chance to focus defensively. Steve Nash used to be an offensive dynamo, but as he ages his plays become less fantastic and his talent is waning. I think if Fisher can pretty much stay defensively minded, he may fare well against him.... will that mean he wins that match up? probably not.

in fact i think that the PG position is the only one we're beat at when comparing us with the Suns.
correct me but the have Nash and Barbosa
we have Fisher and Farmar...
i think Nash is better because of his fantastic passing ability and well Barbosa is pretty much just better than Farmar so...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Heir on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:05 pm

I base matchups on what player is doing most for their team. Every player has a specific role(s) that they're responsible for executing. Fish obviously has to do less for us than Nash does for Phoenix. As the game progresses, the two of them will be different energy wise.

Yes We Can
Heir

Postby 2k on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:04 pm

Beastly writing as usual.

Postby Heir on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:23 am

lol, according to Suns fans we're over hyped and won't be as good as people think.

Yes We Can
Heir

Re:

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:54 am

Heir wrote:lol, according to Suns fans we're over hyped and won't be as good as people think.

eh... according to everyone Phoenix still hasn't won a championship in the past 10 years so who cares?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Re:

Postby Heir on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:08 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Heir wrote:lol, according to Suns fans we're over hyped and won't be as good as people think.

eh... according to everyone Phoenix still hasn't won a championship in the past 10 years so who cares?

That was supposed to be a little update on what Suns fans thought of what I wrote.

Yes We Can
Heir

Re: Re:

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:25 pm

Heir wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

That was supposed to be a little update on what Suns fans thought of what I wrote.

No no I understand, I was trying to be non-chalant, not offensive. Sorry if I was. And if Suns fans really are telling you that, then they're either not smart, or can't read, because the writings on the wall, and the Suns are going down.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Blogs