Heir'z Corner: Top 5 Kobe Games of 2007-2008

Postby Heir on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:29 pm

Being a lifelong Kobe fan, I've seen just about all of his classic games, spectacular plays, and read some of his best quotes. I've been following his career like Shaq chasing an ice cream truck. So seeing as how he just wrapped up an MVP season, it's only necessary to pick and distinguish what 5 games were his best, right?

5. 52 points in overtime against Dallas- The one thing about this game that will always stand out to me was how sloppy it was. I can remember how it felt as a fan just watching it. Both teams turning it over every few possessions, missed free throws, sloppy passes, it wasn't pretty at all. On top of that, we trailed for most of the second half and for a minute it looked like Dallas might actually beat us at home for once.....on national television. Then out of nowhere Kobe puts on his superman cape and swoops in for the rescue just in time. He had been struggling at the free throw line all game long, but he didn't let that stop him from attacking. Post ups, hook shots, three's, he was hitting Dallas with every conceivable weapon in his illustrious repertoire. He even got into it with Erick Dampier in the first half and the two of them exchanged words throughout the game every time Kobe went to the rim. That didn't stop him, though. If anything it got him going. I'm not sure if Dampier knew that Kobe is the baddest on the planet. If he didn't, he does now. Final stat line: 52 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks, 15-27 from the field, and scored 22 points in the 4th quarter + another 8 in overtime. He also shot 20-27 from the line, so just imagine if he had been making them.

"We gave him a single look, then we double-teamed him, then we gave him a triple-team and he split the triple-team and scored," Johnson said. "We tried to zone him, we tried to funnel him in the trap for a zone and he went the other way. He didn't cooperate on any of our defenses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv7aJ5LD ... re=related

4. 38 points in Christmas Day win over Phoenix- Now I think I can speak for just about everyone when I say that I got pretty damn tired of losing on Christmas EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Especially to teams us Laker fans couldn't stand to think of, Miami and Phoenix. Ugh! "Not this year," Kobe said. Although I'm sure he was somewhat motivated, it was a fun loving game. A lot of highlights (I won't mention the Ariza dunk since I'm pretty sure that's what you guys are expecting wink.gif great commentating by the Mike Breen, Mark Jackson, and Jeff Van Gundy trio, and most importantly a big fat W in the book. More than once Kobe made it rain with jump shots even with a hand in his face, whether your name was Raja Bell or Grant Hill. His resounding dunk at the end of the 3rd quarter signed, sealed, and delivered that victory. So in one day you get presents, have a nice dinner, spend quality time with your family, and crush the spirit of the Phoenix Suns and their fans. That's one hell of a Christmas, huh? Final stat line: 38 points, 5 rebounds, 12-20 from the field, 13-15 from the line, and 7 assists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkIGMiLQ3Qk

3. 41 points against Phoenix(Shaq's debut)- We all remember the hype surrounding this one coming in. Even though it was a regular season game it had a playoff like atmosphere and the media was right on top of everything(no homo). Kobe's moves were so elegant and patient, he was doing everything he wanted against Phoenix's defense. The funny thing to me as I watched it was that a lot of Kobe's field goals came in the exact same spots on the floor and he made the same moves. It was almost like he was saying to Raja Bell "tell me how you want it pimpin"(no homo) and then he just laughed in his face as he embarrassed him time..... after time.....after time.....after time.....after time. There were enough highlights in this game of Kobe scoring on Raja for KB42PAH to make another "Raja Who?" mix. Kobe crushes Phoenix's spirit once again, this time on their home floor. Shaq, tell us how Kobe's arse tastes(no homo). Final stat line: 41 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 16-25 from the field, and 8-10 from the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIadbFq ... re=related

2. 49 points and 10 assists against Nuggets- This might possibly be my favorite Kobe game for the simple fact that we saw everything. He sort of eaaaaaased his way into things..........then BAM! He attacks. Just like a Mamba. In the first quarter I kind of had a feeling I was watching something special and that's a great feeling. Kobe was just the man that night, no one could stop him. Not even a pretty white girl. Even though some thought they could *cough* J.R. Smith *cough*. Little J.R. should've learned from Dampier that you don't talk to Kobe. Funny thing is that most of Kobe's shots actually came on Smith throughout the game and they weren't just simple shots. He had a hand in his face on every pull up, fadeaway, you name it. For one night, J.R. stood for Kobe Jr. because Kobe was his daddy. Final stat line: 49 points, 10 assists, 18-27 from the field, 5-9 from downtown, 8-9 from the free throw line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhQ7YKhvj4

1. Closing it out at home versus an old friend- For the second time in the series at home it appeared we would lose. For the second time we made a dramatic comeback lead by you know who. It was different this time, though. In the 4th quarter you could feel his intensity as we attempted to head back to the Finals. He wasn't gonna allow the series to head back to San Antonio. This was another one of those games where he proved that great defense versus will isn't even a contest. Final stat line: 39 points, 16-25 from the field, 5-5 from the free throw line, and 8 assists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv_wKwanldc

Closing- Kobe definitely had a season that none of us will forget.

He was a master.

A legend.

A god.

Last edited by Heir on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
President of Royal Freshness Entertainment

Yes We Can
Heir

Postby trodgers on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:29 am

I thought the Dallas game was absolutely awesome. Kobe scored at will against the whole team down the stretch. He was crazy good. The game against the Spurs, I got the same sense. He could do whatever he wanted, but he was doing it against arguably the second best team in the West, so I can see it being #1. Good stuff.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:41 pm

Nice write up! Now all you need to do is splice video clips in after each summation.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Heir on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:18 pm

two0one7 wrote:Nice write up! Now all you need to do is splice video clips in after each summation.
lol, k. Will do.
President of Royal Freshness Entertainment

Yes We Can
Heir

Return to Lakers Blogs