RR: Kobe Adjusts His Shot

RR: Kobe Adjusts His Shot

Postby trodgers on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:35 am

Kobe Adjusts His Shot (Selection)
A quick glance at LA's Kobe Bryant's shooting percentages reveals that he is noticeably below his career averages for three point shooting and free throw shooting. No great deal of acuity is required to see that his destroyed (read: arthritic) fingers are bothering him. Bryant has been shaking the offending hand regularly, has been flexing, releasing, and/or holding it, and has been taking extra long to get to the stripe in order to shoot his free throws of late. It is clear also that Kobe holds the ball differently than he used to, releases differently, and sometimes has very different results. But what might not be so readily noticeable is the way Kobe has adapted his game plan to the new limitation.

Three Point Shooting
Kobe's 3pt% by month:
October: 3/12 (.250)
November: 24/72 (.333)
December: 19/58 (.328)
January: 12/46 (.261)
Only November's performance was terribly close to Kobe's career three-point percentage (.339), and it has dipped significantly in January. This reinforces observation that something is off in Bryant's shooting touch.

Field Goal Percentage
Kobe's FG% by month:
October: 25/55 (.455)
November: 136/321 (.424)
December: 129/273 (.473)
January: 113/227 (.498)
Despite the dip in three-point percentage, Bryant's overall Field Goal percentage has increased.

Percent of Shots That are Threes
Kobe's 3ptA/FGA by month:
October: 12/55 (.218)
November: 72/321 (.224)
December: 58/273 (.212)
January: 46/227 (.203)
So Kobe has been working a noticeably lower percentage of threes into his offensive game. That is nice in itself, I suppose, but he has also been able to create better looks for himself.

Two Point Shooting
Kobe's 2pt% by month:
October: 22/43 (.512)
November: 112/249 (.450)
December: 110/215 (.512)
January: 101/181 (.558)
It seems then that the best explanation of Kobe's increased overall FG% is not so much the result of taking fewer threes, but of seeking out higher percentage looks for himself even of the two-point variety.

Final Thoughts
Kobe Bryant's game looks noticeably different from, say, 2005/06, when Bryant averaged 35 points per game, bombed 6.5 threes, and heaved up 27 field goal attempts per game. Some say he is slower, less explosive; and he might be. He is playing about 20% fewer minutes per game and his overall numbers are down a bit. Nonetheless, he has been remarkably efficient. His per 36 minute numbers are overall his best since that 05/06 season. As Kobe continues to suffer through wear and tear, it is fascinating to watch the consummate professional adapt his game in order to get the most from his talents. Just as it is the offseason work that Bryant has put in during his career or the time shooting before games, which we do not see, but which have shaped him into the most complete player in the game, the things we do not notice even as we watch him are just as important.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: RR: Kobe Adjusts His Shot

Postby KB24 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 am

Kobe would be better off if he doesn't shoot ANY threes right now. I always expect him to miss when he shoots a three nowadays. But he has really been remarkable in the 2 point area. Not only does he make his shots but he also doesn't make those shots too difficult for himself. I like the way he has been playing lately without even taking many shots.

He is playing excellent offensively in terms of efficiency but the 3ball is a culprit right now. His 3 point shooting used to be something that seperated him from other scoring wings. But guys like Pierce, Carter etc. really improved their long range shooting over the years while Kobe has declined from 3 point land for a few years now. The fingers obviously don't allow him to feel comfortable taking those shots and he needs to cut those attempts down. He needs to take only the wide open ones or when the shot clock is down. I can't deny that its very annoying that a player with Kobe's stroke, range and shooting mechanics cannot hit more 3s. Guys like LeBron, Rose etc. have no business to outclass him in the 3point FG%. Right now Kobe is in the same cathegory as Wade in terms of 3 point shooting.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Nice analysis trodgers.

I'd be interested to see how many of his shots these days are post shots. I think it'd be in everyone's best interest if he moved to that area more than he has.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sirron on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:53 pm

I locked up that topic in LD, as it was in the wrong place. Carry on. :man12:
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby KB24 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:Nice analysis trodgers.

I'd be interested to see how many of his shots these days are post shots. I think it'd be in everyone's best interest if he moved to that area more than he has.

you are right. Do you remember how he started last season? first 10 games?

that was the best Kobe I have ever seen. Always in the post...ALWAYS. He really simply "worked" the defenders and his gorgeous fadeaway from 12 ft. was a thing of beauty. Too bad he got hurt and went away from that but that is the Kobe that is on GOAT level.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Sirron on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Didn't he start the season that way this year too? I was thinking once we got our full compliment of big men back he left the post. The man is nothing if not versatile.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby trodgers on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks, guys. Kobe is lethal in the post. It would be nice to see him there on the reg. I'd like to see whether I can dig up any good info to answer the specific questions about his numbers in the post.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Kasumi on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm

KB24 wrote:Kobe would be better off if he doesn't shoot ANY threes right now.

How weird is it that literally as I read this line, Kobe hit a 3-pointer?
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby trodgers on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:28 pm

^ Not surprising, I guess. He has drilled a bunch in the last two games.

Final January Numbers:
3pt%:
17/59 (.288)

FG%
142/283 (.502) -best month

% 3s
59/283 (.208) -lowest rate

2pt%
125/224 (.558) -best month

That was Kobe's best shooting month since November 2009, when he shot 50.6%.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby joyi2011 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:58 am

Nike Basketball Designer Ken Link was assigned to create the first Kobe shoe - Nike Zoom Kobe. Link's goal was to create a basketball shoe that met the demands of a high - performing athlete like Kobe. The Nike Kobe 6 series are very popular now.
joyi2011

Postby pdandreu on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:01 am

Nice analysis. Yeah, all the greats adjust. Jordan's signature fadeaway came when he didn't have the same explosiveness to stop and pop or take it to the rack for a slam. Kobe may not be as quick as he once was, but he's also smarter and more efficient.
pdandreu

Return to Lakers Blogs