Postby trodgers on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:28 am

Point Guards
Steve Blake
Scoring: 5.0
Passing: 4.3
Hustle: 1.8
Offensive Efficiency: 78.7
Points Per Possession (EST): 1.47
-When felled by injury Blake was enjoying arguably his best season. Although he does not shoot much (<10 per 36 minutes), he shoots a high % of threes (55% of FGA) and hits a high % (40%), so he scores well enough. He was also handing out nearly 8 assists per 36 minutes while posting an ast/to ratio of >3:1. While he does not put the pressure on defenses that Farmar does and is not terribly lethal outside the catch and shoot three, his game management style results in a huge Point Per Possession score, easily outdistancing all other LA PGs. The Lakers will be thankful to have Blake return to the court, even if it's in a bench role.

Jordan Farmar
Scoring: 5.6
Passing: 4.1
Hustle: 2.6
Offensive Efficiency: 88.8
Points Per Possession (EST): 1.28
-Farmar is a significantly improved player since his exodus from LA. Or perhaps the D'Antoni system just fits his skills better than the triangle did. He's scoring well, passing well, and he picks up offensive boards and blocks at a solid rate for a PG. Farmar is the Lakers' best 1 on 1 PG by far. Like many Lakers, Farmar would be a solid sixth man. He's a borderline starting PG.

Steve Nash
Scoring: 4.7
Passing: 4.1
Hustle: 1.8
Offensive Efficiency: 70.2
Points Per Possession (EST): 1.19
-Nash is massively on the decline and hasn't played in months. When we last saw him on the court, his decreased mobility was limiting him in terms of shooting and passing, Nash's hallmarks. It is unclear what Nash has to offer going forward.

Kendall Marshall
Scoring: 5.8
Passing: 2.9
Hustle: 1.7
Offensive Efficiency: 59.1
Points Per Possession: 1.13
-Brought in as a body because the Lakers had literally no PGs on their squad. After two brief appearances, Marshall was hardly regarded as changing that fact. Then he had a very nice game in a loss against Philadelphia. Marshall posted 4.1 SCOFF, 4.0 PAFF, and 1.9 HUFF for 64.4 Offensive Efficiency in his rookie season. He's a pass-first player who seems uninterested in getting his own shot. A bit more athleticism could aid his ability to finish and put more pressure on defenses. Reminds me of Steve Blake, which is not terrible. Should be able to give Farmar enough rest to avoid burning him out until Blake returns. At 22 years old, he is a low-risk signing who could pay dividends down the line.

http://blog.travisjrodgers.com/2013/12/30/lakers-stats-point-guard.aspx
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: Lakers Stats: Point Guard

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am

Interesting...Farmar a borderline Starter? Interesting. He looked awful to me going against a very bad Philadelphlia team, but as I said in the WMC thread, it could be the lack of talent on our squad...IDK. I like to see him with talent level equivalent to NBA starters t see how he does...IMO, I would love to groom him for the starting PG role and bring in a backup or draft one if possible.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby trodgers on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:05 am

With Farmar's hammy giving him problems, LA is likely to lean on Marshall more. No one wanted Marshall here as a starter, playing 30+ a night, and I'm not sure he's up to the task.

Still, he had a solid game last night and improved many of his numbers. Over his last three games, his season numbers have shifted:

Before Philly
Passing: 0.0
Hustle: 2.6
Offensive Efficiency: 19.0

After Philly
Scoring: 5.8
Passing: 2.9
Hustle: 1.7
Offensive Efficiency: 59.1
Points Per Possession: 1.13

After Milwaukee
Scoring: 5.5
Passing: 3.7
Hustle: 1.3
Offensive Efficiency: 67.4
Points Per Possession: 1.41

Most worth noting about Marshall is his low offensive efficiency coupled with an incredibly high points per possession. That's pure Steve Blake - not much of an individual player, but if you put him in the right scheme and don't ask him to create shots for himself, he can produce points for teammates at a high rate of efficiency.

Last night, he shot 7 FG, handed out 7 assists, and turned it over twice. That's 16 possessions.
7 FGA = 10 points
7 AST = 17 points (three were three-point shots)
2 TO = 0 points

16 possessions, 27 points produced (in 28 minutes)
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:43 am

^Can we get an update on Marshall's stats?
lukewaltonsdad

Postby trodgers on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Sure can. I'm in my office at school; my stats are on my laptop, but I think last I updated them Marshall was at an overall rating of 81 and a passing rating 4.6. I'll crunch them when I get home.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Offensive Rating: 80.2
Passing: 4.5
Hustle: 1.5
Points Per Possession (EST): 1.54

That's Marshall after yesterday's game.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Return to Lakers Blogs