Biggest Fallers
Houston -11
New Orleans -10
Milwaukee -7
Charlotte -7
Golden State -7
OKC -7
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: NBA Rodgers Ratings (Jan. 7)

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Just for comparison, here are the final ratings from last season, the top 8:

Miami
Dallas
Chicago
San Antonio
Lakers
OKC/Boston
Orlando
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby SublimeAnarky on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:29 pm

hmm.. while i'm sure you've done your stat crunching here trodgers, to me it looks like the clips/cavs are higher than they ought to be and the thunder lower than where they should ?

what was your logic here ?
SublimeAnarky

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:26 pm

SublimeAnarky wrote:hmm.. while i'm sure you've done your stat crunching here trodgers, to me it looks like the clips/cavs are higher than they ought to be and the thunder lower than where they should ?

what was your logic here ?

It's an objective measure, so I don't have logic that goes into it on an individual (week-by-week) basis. I crunch actual record, offensive and defensive performance, and performance against strength of schedule. I can, however, attempt to explain why they are where they are.

OKC's defense is statistically atrocious. The teams they have beaten are a combined 18-26; the teams they lost to are a combined 8-7. OKC doesn't seem to have that elite feel so far. I have litle doubt that they'll be a bit better as the season wears on, but they're currently projected as a playoff team based on performance.

Clippers' opponents are 21-15, and statisically they're they best offense (and one of the worst defenses). They're also leading their division, mind you.

Cleveland's losses are against teams with a combined win% over 50, and they're only middle of the pack (and if the season ended today, they would be in the playoffs). So I think this is a reasonable rating.

I appreciate your taking the time to post; if you have other questions or rebuttles, let me know!
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Daloyalfan18 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Wow, excellent job last year with your top 2 being the NBA finalists. I'm interested in keeping up with these ratings throughout the season! :jam2:
Daloyalfan18

Postby trodgers on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:19 am

No one can predict the future with perfect accuracy (and that's good), but I've always enjoyed trying to figure our what aspects of a player contributes to team success and what aspects of a team's performance contribute most to future success. I have no firm answers :)
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby SublimeAnarky on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:04 am

true.. there hasnt yet been any measure that has allowed with decent accuracy - a picture of what the league would look like at the end of a season with consistency right through it imo.

i'm interested in watching you take this forward trodgers, the stats are one thing, but i see an element of 'gut feel' also coming into play with your rankings and that might just be the 'secret sauce' that makes your more relevant in a fairly crowded space of soothsayers.. keep 'em coming :bow:
SublimeAnarky

Return to Lakers Blogs