NBA Rodgers Ratings

NBA Rodgers Ratings

Postby trodgers on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:27 pm

I tinker with stats a fair bit. Sometimes it results in something interesting. I've come up with a rating system for NBA teams. It takes into account actual results (in terms of wins and losses), actual performances (in terms of offensive and defensive ratings), and strength of opponent (in a way that I won't specify). It's purely objective from that point on. No points added or subtracted because I don't like the way they look. Any time you make a power list, you're either simply reporting what has happened or you're projecting forward about what might happen. I consider this stat to be mostly a reporting of what has happened, but the idea is that as the season unfolds the stats will all converge toward suggesting how good a team "really" is (and will be going forward). Especially in the beginning it will look different from many power polls. Here goes (through games on 12/31):

1. Portland
2. Orlando
3. Oklahoma City
4. Atlanta
5. San Antonio
6. Philadelphia
7. Miami
8. Chicago
9. Los Angeles Lakers
10. Denver
11. Milwaukee
12. Houston
13. Memphis
14. New Orleans
15. Indiana
16. Los Angeles Clippers
17. New York
18. Golden State
19. Cleveland
20-t. Phoenix/Charlotte
22. Boston
23-t. Dallas/Toronto
25. Minnesota
26. Sacramento
27. Utah
28. Detroit
29. New Jersey
30. Washington
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: NBA Rodgers Ratings

Postby XXIV on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Pretty interesting. Do you plug in the information into excel to come up with these conclusions?

Seeing Miami at the 7 spot despite being undefeated shows how they've been playing and who they have won against so far. I'm assuming the rankings will adjust more towards their win-loss position as the season progresses?
XXIV

Re: NBA Rodgers Ratings

Postby trodgers on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:01 pm

XXIV wrote:Pretty interesting. Do you plug in the information into excel to come up with these conclusions?

Yes, indeed I do.

Seeing Miami at the 7 spot despite being undefeated shows how they've been playing and who they have won against so far. I'm assuming the rankings will adjust more towards their win-loss position as the season progresses?

Your'e exactly right on both points here. Before Miami's 39-point blowout, they hadn't destroyed anyone despite playing all teams that are struggling. So 5-0 is nice, but OKC is undefeated with a tougher schedule. As for the records, things will settle out a bit as the season progresses, and I expect that mine will fall into alignment with most other ranking schemes. It just puts some things in perspective in the beginning of the season.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Return to Lakers Blogs