RR: Numbers Highlight Artest's Contributions

RR: Numbers Highlight Artest's Contributions

Postby trodgers on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:51 pm

It is easy to look at Ron Artest's offensive numbers and not be terribly impressed. The 12 points per game is the lowest average the Lakers’ offseason acquisition has posted since the 01/02 season. Moreover, his free throw percentage (57%) and steals per game (1.4) are the worst of his career. Decent rebounding and a career-high assist rate save the stat line, but certainly fail to make the numbers leap out at the reader.

Defensively, however, Artest's impact is evident both on the court and in the (extended) box score. On November 1st, after Joe Johnson started out on a tear, scoring 18 points (on 7 for 8 shooting) in the first quarter, Artest took the initiative, switching defensive assignments with Kobe. With Artest applying smothering defense, Johnson hit just 1 of the 8 shots he took the rest of the way. No individual player has really gotten to the Lakers offensively, with Kevin Durant's 28 points, which represent a season high for an opponent against the Lakers, coming on 24 shots.

Artest has embraced the role of defender first, deferring to his teammates offensively (his shots per minute rate--at .27-- is significantly lower than his career average of .38). In this role, he has held opposing Small Forwards to 33.1 eFG%, has forced a 1:1 ast/to ratio, and has surrendered just 16.5 points per 48 minutes. His opponent has put up an 8.6 PER. This has helped the Lakers maintain a +7.3 PER advantage over opposing SFs (second best positional advantage behind +9.9 at Shooting Guard). By contrast, last season, opposing SFs averaged 48.6 eFG%, posted a 3.6/2.8 ast/to ratio, averaged 20.7 points per 48 minutes, and finished with a 14.9 PER. While these numbers are all solid to good, Artest's defensive performance has been downright dominant. And it appears as if the mindset is contagious.

As a team, the Lakers have allowed only two opponents to reach 100 points on the season, and are allowing an average of 96.5 over their last four games. Their points allowed now stand at 97.4 (this, with two games that have gone to overtime), 11th best in the NBA. The Lakers have held their opponents to poor shooting percentages as well. They are currently 7th best in FG% allowed (43.2), 5th best in 3pt% allowed (30.2), and have created the 4th most TO (17.0). So far Artest looks to be leading by example. And that is good in Los Angeles.

*PER, eFG, and positional stats courtesy of 82games.com
**Team statistics courtesy of Yahoo! sports
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: RR: Numbers Highlight Artest's Contributions

Postby Choson1 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:58 pm

with artest and mbenga providing solid D, i think this year's team is better defensively than last years
Choson1

Postby JSM on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Great breakdown.

His D has been fierce. I can't say I expected this level of D from him this soon. I thought it'd take a little time, especially with our starting 5 in flux. But Ron's really gotten after it and enjoyed every minute of it.

If he continues at this rate, there is no reason he won't be in the DPOY conversation at season's end.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby trodgers on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:50 pm

^ Agreed. I suppose I thought he'd struggle to find his spots on both sides of the court, but it looks like he has fit into a nice role on O and his defense has been fantastic so far. A pleasant surprise right out of the blocks, especially considering we haven't been at full strength otherwise.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Chopper on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:02 am

the difference in stats for opposing SFs is notable. I guess our VLad-man and Ariza combo weren't shutting people down at all! :freak2:
Chopper

Postby trodgers on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:53 am

^ The 14.9 PER is pretty good, actually. 15.0 is average (and low is good). So Artest is just taking it to another level so far.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Return to Lakers Blogs