Is it possible for us to steal both games from the Celtics?

Is it possible for us to steal both games from the Celtics?

Postby kop5789 on Sun May 04, 2008 10:00 pm

I would say it's possible. Never underestimate the power of accumulative mental advantage. You could say that today's game was decided in the first half when Utah choked on those wide open shots. Now I'm just going to focus on game 2, because it's going to be the much tougher game, due to the crowd and officiating. Obviously, whatever works in game 2, we could just apply that to game 1, because all we're looking for is one game.

From what I've seen, from our side, we need to: be perfect with our shot selections, played with our best intensity, dig a little deep on those "bad" possessions, i.e those possessions where we're forced to run the offense through someone else because Kobe needs a break, and really, just "dig" on whatever contested shots that you can, because the more you do, the more you can afford the opponent to be open, obviously.

Assuming we did the above, and let's assume that the officiating in game 2 against the Celtics will be as bad as in today's game, then I think we'll need the Celtics to miss about a couple of less open shots than the Jazz did in the first half in today's game to win it. In other words, about 3 or 4 wide open shots(of course, it could be less, it could be more, how the hell would I know really, the idea is that we need to use to apply everything we've learned in the past to get those little advantages.)

How can we get them to do this? If we used past experience, a team does not feel quite enough pressure when they're down 0-1 at home(unless you managed to stay close to them late in the game), as when they're down 0-2 and just came back home, for us to rely on them to choke on wide open shots. However, they WILL miss a couple of shots due to overenergy, and that is when you have to remember to REBOUND(most likely, they'll still end up with it though, it's just extremely hard to match that kind of energy, because you're just not used to it.)

What other situations are they likely to miss? As stated, if we can manage to stay close to them late, then I think they'll start to miss. However, the officiating will still be very tough.

Finally, the strategy of leaving the cold guy, the guy struggling defensively, having confidence issues, etc. will work very well here. Boston hasn't been in these situations so they've got a lot to learn. However, once again, we MUST remember to rebound, which of course is easier said than done.

So it seems to me that, not only do we have to "bait" them into those shots(it would be nice if we didn't have to and force them to shoot with a hand in their face most of the times, but let's face it, our physical defense just isn't that good, so you have to rely on those mental tricks), we must also train ourselves to expect those misses and rebound the ball, which I'm not sure if we can do, in such a short timeframe.

IF we can manage to do the above, we should be able to get it into a very tight game down the stretch. The important thing here is not to get too giddy or tight and just execute as usual. It may even take a last second shot to win it, and that's when you have to embrace it, and not be afraid that the Celtics might steal one back, because you played perfect and couldn't pull it off. In other words, don't let what may happen in the future affect you, unless it's positive(for example, like in the 2000 Finals, where Shaq fouled out and Kobe took over, the reason he was "clutch" was because he could fall back on the fact that his team was superior and up 2-1, that really, took away a lot of the pressure. In this case, you can't really fool yourselves, if let's say Boston was playing stifling D, and the only reason it got this close was because of all the tricks that you used to "cause" them to miss that many wide open shots, and you're afraid that they won't miss that many again. You have to ignore this type of thinking. Otherwise, it'd just put pressure on yourself unnecessarily.)

It may look like I'm trying to play prophet here, but it seems to me that these games follow a very distinct pattern. The officiating will be bad, but it's only bad to a certain point. If you can manage to dig deep enough to overcome that, then the numbers will all add up very nicely.
kop5789

Postby GameTimeLaker on Sun May 04, 2008 10:01 pm

Last time I checked, we were playing the Jazz...
Are You A Suns Fan?
Are You Depressed?
Need Help?
Call Us Now On 1-800 10 10 10
That's 1-800 Won Nothing Won Nothing Won Nothing
GameTimeLaker

Postby westcoast21 on Sun May 04, 2008 10:03 pm

We made the NBA Finals already? Sweet :jam2:
westcoast21

Postby 2pacZGreat on Sun May 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Holy crap dude. This is ridiculous. We are playing the Jazz. Man this isn't evn about being PC. It's idiotic to look ahead like this. Just stop.

EDIT: TC, I am not calling you an idiot btw. Just this looking ahead is idiotic. I already posted a few times about looking ahead like this. Getting into "ifs" is VERY tricky proposition with no rights or wrongs and just leads to opinion wars over NOTHING.
Last edited by 2pacZGreat on Sun May 04, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2pacZGreat

Postby kop5789 on Sun May 04, 2008 10:06 pm

GameTimeLaker wrote:Last time I checked, we were playing the Jazz...

True...true, but honestly, these tricks should work on almost every opponent. For example, AK looks like he's struggling, good guy to leave open if we're forced to(especially if he's feeling like Kobe is abusing him.)
kop5789

Postby blakeruns on Sun May 04, 2008 10:08 pm

*ring ring*

The horse just called

He said you put the cart in front of him
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sun May 04, 2008 10:10 pm

Nice that you're thinking finals already but, not to be realistic or anything, we've got to get through the entirety of the playoffs and so do the Celts. Come on now. It's just way too early for this thread.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe35ppg on Sun May 04, 2008 10:24 pm

Is it possible for us to talk about the opponents that we are currently playing? just a question.
Pau- Gasoft NO MORE
Kobe- Shaq WHO?
PJAX- "I'll smoke a cigar for Red tonight"
kobe35ppg

Postby Senor Mortgage on Sun May 04, 2008 11:03 pm

kobe35ppg wrote:Is it possible for us to talk about the opponents that we are currently playing? just a question.

Yes and no. Sure you can talk about matchups. But when you ask it in the matter that you did (like it has already happened) then you are jumping the gun. If you had asked if Pau changes the Lakers dynamic enough to steal a game against a team liek the Celtics, then it might be more appropriate.

Edit: Oops, Though you were the TC. Sorry.
Senor Mortgage

Postby kevinwiz on Sun May 04, 2008 11:23 pm

repost this in a month
kevinwiz

Postby bananas on Mon May 05, 2008 12:02 am

Stay humble now
bananas

Postby methodnredd on Mon May 05, 2008 12:43 am

I'm just stressing about Game 5 of the 2012 NBA Western Finals, I don't know if Pau will be able to match up with Oden/Aldridge after his recent ankle sprain. Kobe is starting to looked aged so Bynum will have to improve on his 30/15 playoff average for the Lakers to go up 3-2 in this series.
methodnredd

Postby trbo823 on Mon May 05, 2008 12:46 am

LOL@ people trying to get ahead of them selves all the time.
LAKERS: We use Division and Conference championship banners as TOILET paper while other teams hangs them from their Rafters.
trbo823

Postby OX1947 on Mon May 05, 2008 1:47 am

methodnredd wrote:I'm just stressing about Game 5 of the 2012 NBA Western Finals, I don't know if Pau will be able to match up with Oden/Aldridge after his recent ankle sprain. Kobe is starting to looked aged so Bynum will have to improve on his 30/15 playoff average for the Lakers to go up 3-2 in this series.

Damn it, why cant Pau wrap that damn ankle right. How the hell is Bynum going to handle both Aldridge and Oden.
OX1947

Postby RetroNikes on Mon May 05, 2008 2:30 am

From what I remember, both teams are still in the second round.
RetroNikes

Postby John3:16 on Mon May 05, 2008 2:59 am

blakeruns wrote:*ring ring*

The horse just called

:man10: :man10: :man10:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Mon May 05, 2008 3:05 am

LOL. I woke up from a nap. Looked at this thread.......Had to slap myself a couple times.....thought I was rip van winkle who had slept for almost a month.
borri

Postby LakerzDQ on Mon May 05, 2008 3:08 am

methodnredd wrote:I'm just stressing about Game 5 of the 2012 NBA Western Finals, I don't know if Pau will be able to match up with Oden/Aldridge after his recent ankle sprain. Kobe is starting to looked aged so Bynum will have to improve on his 30/15 playoff average for the Lakers to go up 3-2 in this series.

don't worry, age isn't going to bother Kobe. After all, the 7 rings don't lie.

and I just heard, Greg Oden won't be playing in game 1, he's got the flu.
LakerzDQ

Postby mapabu1 on Mon May 05, 2008 6:46 am

You are about a month early. There is no guarantee that either team will be in the finals
mapabu1

Postby mest5621 on Mon May 05, 2008 7:01 am

eh man...stop getting ahead of ourselves here...we are still playing the jazz and theres no guarantee the celtics will make it as well. We need to concentrate on the jazz and when the time comes if we do make it to the finals we will cross that road as for now its premature to even think about this right now
mest5621

Postby Juronimo on Mon May 05, 2008 7:25 am

There is no guarantee that either us or the evil empire will make the finals. Let's worry about that when we get there.

for now we have the Jazz to worry about.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby DNP on Mon May 05, 2008 7:39 am

these threads keep popping up. talk about the present match up please!
lock!!!!!

DNP

Postby Armo Flava on Mon May 05, 2008 7:46 am

DUDE ARE YOU SERIOUS ?!?!?!!

the way the Celtics played against the Hawks I have a hard time believing they're gonna make the finals. We still have to beat Utah and NOH / SAS !?!?!?!

the only logical explanation for this thread is......is that you

own a time machine ? :man3:
"i leave FLY dust on my haters when im passin em by"

Armo Flava

Postby Armo Flava on Mon May 05, 2008 7:46 am

John3:16 wrote:
blakeruns wrote:*ring ring*

The horse just called

:man10: :man10: :man10:
"i leave FLY dust on my haters when im passin em by"

Armo Flava

Postby Aonex on Mon May 05, 2008 8:15 am

Sure we can... if the Celtics make it that far.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Next

Return to Lakers Blogs