Rodgers Report: Ariza in Purple and Gold

Rodgers Report: Ariza in Purple and Gold

Postby trodgers on Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:54 am

-Travis Rodgers
Facts: Ariza is 6'8, 210 pounds, 22 years old, 4th NBA Season. He plays primarily Small Forward, but is sometimes asked to guard Shooting Guards and occasionally Point Guards. He lacks an outside game, but is lethal, athletic, and explosive inside despite a slender frame.

Strengths
Length, defense, dunking, getting to the rim, athleticism, rebounding

Weaknesses
Outside shot, FT shooting, triangle experience, bulk

Question Marks
Ball handling, B-ball IQ

SKILL BREAKDOWN
Scoring: In 205 career games, Ariza has averaged 6.2 points per game (in about 18.5 mpg). Ariza has recorded 50 double-digit games. This includes 18 as a rookie, 7 in his second season, 23 in his third season, and two this season. An average of the top 30 players at a position in the NBA yields a PPG average that I consider to represent "competent" scoring. For a wing man like Ariza, that number is around 17. Ariza has achieved scoring competence in 9 of his career games, including two as a rookie and seven last season. I consider him to be adequate, but by no means a dynamic, scorer.

Assists: Ariza averages 1.1 assists per game. He has recorded 5 assists or more just 4 times in his career and not in the past two seasons. I consider him to be a slightly below average passer for a wing man.

Rebounding: Ariza averages 1.3 offensive and 2.3 defensive boards per game, for a career average of 3.6. He is more than competent as a rebounder, as he has met the competence mark (6 boards) 40 times in his career (11 as a rookie, 11 as a sophomore, 17 last season, and once this year) and has reached the level of dominance (9+ boards) on 9 occasions, including 3 in each of his first two seasons, twice last year, and once in this young season. Ariza is a very good rebounder for a Small Forward.

Steals: He has averaged 0.9 steals per game. He has recorded 14 career 3+ steal games, including 4 as a rookie, 4 as a sophomore, 6 last season. I consider Ariza a very competent ball thief.

Defense: Ariza is touted as a solid defender. He forces turnovers, has great length, and often guards opposing teams' best scorers. He has, in this young season, covered LeBron James, Kevin Durant, both Grant Hill and Steve Nash, and Peja Stojakovich.

In 2004/05 for New York, Ariza held opposing SFs to 15.2 PER. They shot 49% eFG, scored 17.8 points per 48 minutes. In 05/06, for New York Ariza yielded a 17.5 PER to SFs, including 54.5% eFG and 19.8 points per 48. He was traded to the Magic where he finished out the season yielding 15.7 PER to SFs. They shot 46.7% eFG and averaged just 16.5 PP48. Last season, Ariza allowed a 16.6 PER to SFs, who shot 50.6% eFG, scored 21.9 PP48. In this young season, Ariza was allowing a 20.7 PER with Orlando, including 26 PP48 and 56.5% eFG. I consider Ariza a better than average defender who is capable of causing fits for the most adept scorers because of his length.

Shot Selection: 82games.com
Jump Shots: Ariza took 51% of his shots as jumpers as a rookie. He hit just 32% of those shots. In his second season, he cut that percentage down to 42% with New York, but hit just 25% of them. In Orlando that same season, he took 34% jumpers and hit just 15% of them. Last year, he took 35% jumpers and shot 32%. This season, 45% of his shots are jumpers and he is hitting just 21% of them. So what two patterns do we notice? In general, he cannot shoot jumpers. That is unfortunate. On the bright side, he seems to know his weakness and tries to avoid shooting jumpers. Ariza's jump shot is atrocious.

Close Shots: As a rookie, 29% of Ariza's shots were close, and he hit 43% of them. Those numbers rose to 39% and 44% as a sophomore. In Orlando, he took 46% close shots and hit 49% of them. Last season, Ariza took 48% close shots and hit 59% of them, both career best marks. Those numbers this season are comparable, at 42% close shots and 54% made. Ariza is a competent to good close shooter.

Dunks: 15% of Ariza's shots were dunks as a rookie. He hit 97% of them. While he took the same % as a sophomore, his percentage fell to a "paltry" 91%. In Orlando, he fared much worse, taking 10% dunks and hitting just 75%. A man on a mission last year, Ariza dunked 12% of his shot attempts, hitting every one of them. This season, he has continued the trend, taking 13% dunks and hitting them all. Ariza is a dominant dunker.

Projections: I'm one who does not see Ariza as a starter any time soon, and perhaps never while Odom is on this team, but I shall assume that he will get Mo Evans's minutes, more or less. At about 13.5 minutes per game, Ariza would provide roughly 5.1 points, 0.8 assists, and 2.7 boards. Should he ever get a crack at the starting spot this season, in 25.7 minutes, he would average 9.6 points, 1.5 assists, and 5.2 rebounds. In fact, his numbers as a starter could end up being very similar to what Caron Butler was doing in LA, although the two players do it very differently.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Satan on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Thanks Travis, I'm not really familiar with Trevor and was looking for precisely this kind of break down.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby trodgers on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:42 pm

Satan wrote:Thanks Travis, I'm not really familiar with Trevor and was looking for precisely this kind of break down.

I was GM for Orlando in the GM challenge so I really started to take a look at him. I also live in FL now so I'm fairly familiar with him. I'm actually pretty excited about the thoughts of having him on the team, but I am concerned that he may not be a starter, or at least a 30+ mpg guy on this team and that may affect him. If he can be fine with 10-20 mpg, the occasional start against an offensive threat, he will be money in the bank.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Satan on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:17 pm

Does he appear to have the talent to be a 30 minute a game guy (not necessarily here but just in general)?
Satan

Postby trodgers on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:29 pm

Satan wrote:Does he appear to have the talent to be a 30 minute a game guy (not necessarily here but just in general)?

I think so. He basically did it for Orlando last year and he responded well to the increased minutes. I think it's just a matter of the dynamics of this team that we don't need someone in his skill set for 30 mpg at a regular clip.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Satan on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:34 pm

Thus the fear he might not re-sign with us do to lack of playing time...

Hopefully the L.A. connection will play a part.
Satan

Postby trodgers on Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:46 pm

Satan wrote:Thus the fear he might not re-sign with us do to lack of playing time...

Hopefully the L.A. connection will play a part.

That's a reasonable fear, but if we do well and he plays solid minutes and really thinks he has a role to play on this team, he should want to come back.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Radner on Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:36 pm

If we re-sign Ariza, that means Kwame is not coming back.
Radner

Postby trodgers on Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:07 pm

JKsnoots wrote:If we re-sign Ariza, that means Kwame is not coming back.

I don't know about that.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby BDG on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:33 am

trodgers wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:If we re-sign Ariza, that means Kwame is not coming back.
I don't know about that.
Yeah, I don't see why Kwame's future is dependent on Ariza's decision to stay.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby bumrusherer on Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:21 am

Nice breakdown T-Rodg.

This is another player ( Turiaf is the other one ) who would have been perfect for our bench during the ShaKobe era.
So naturally, he should be very valuable as Bynum continues to improve over the coming years.

Good post
bumrusherer

Postby trodgers on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:30 pm

Through Six Games:

13.5 minutes
5.8 points
2.3 boards
1.7 assists
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby BDG on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:33 pm

So far I've seen our perimeter D look slightly better with him in the game. We also are a more athletic team with him on the floor.

I jumped out my seat when he almost posterized DJ Mbenga. Too bad he got fouled -- if that dunk went down, STAPLES would have gone nuts.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Return to Lakers Blogs