Skyblog - Exhibition Opener

Postby GCMD on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:03 pm

Combobreaker wrote:
GCMD wrote:
Combobreaker wrote:Pretty good analysis Sky. My opinion of Bynum is that no matter how clumsy he looks, he's so long that it's almost impossible for him to fail. It's like Yao. Even now, Yao still looks pretty clumsy, but, in the end, he's still 7'6 and 300 lbs. And one can argue that when healthy, Yao is right up there with the Del Harris Shaq(prime Shaq was just on another level, perhaps matched only by Hakeem in the past 20 years).

Now the biggest difference between Bynum and Yao is that Yao has a fadeaway, but a fadeaway isn't the only way to score. Bynum's weapon could be the traditional hook or even the skyhook. Let's just hope that he works hard enough that it comes sooner than later.

Bynum and Yao???

Can't be serious. Yao has been a pro for about 10 years...about 5 or 6 BEFORE he came to the NBA...

Bynum can't hold Yao's jock. I don't care how long or tall he is...

Yet Yao could only average 13 and 9 when he's 22. As far as not holding Yao's jock, you probably said the same thing about Yao back then when someone compared him to Shaq. If you didn't, it's only because nobody were bold enough to make such a comparison.

Are you serious???

Yao was one of the most anticipated players EVER to come into the league...Bynum was a blip in the radar...all potential, no substance....

Yao struggled his first year but was still one of the best centers in the league...

Bynum is still 2-3 years away from consistency as a starter...

There is no comparison.

Not saying that Bynum won't be great or that he's not ok now...but don't put him in the same sentence as Yao or Shaq...at least about NOW. Maybe in the future but it's not valid right now...
Feel free to ignore anything I say...

GCMD

Postby Combobreaker on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:13 pm

Of course I'm not saying that Bynum is Yao now. If he already were, then where would the fun be? I'm saying that there's a precedence for Bynum, that you can be clumsy and still dominate.

Remember that Bynum is close to 300 lbs. How many 300-lbers have there been in the history of this league? Now you have the coordinated 300-lbers like Wilt and Shaq, who could put up stats of historic proportions, then you have guys like Yao, who is still pretty good. I guess the moral of the story is that you don't have to be perfectly coordinated to be very good, when you're over 300 lbs, well, as long as you have enough of the other combinations that is.
Combobreaker

Postby MadMax on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:15 pm

feels good to actually talking about basketball again.

nice analysis sky.

:jam2:
MadMax

Postby GCMD on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:28 pm

Combobreaker wrote:Of course I'm not saying that Bynum is Yao now. If he already were, then where would the fun be? I'm saying that there's a precedence for Bynum, that you can be clumsy and still dominate.

Combobreaker wrote:Pretty good analysis Sky. My opinion of Bynum is that no matter how clumsy he looks, he's so long that it's almost impossible for him to fail. It's like Yao. Even now, Yao still looks pretty clumsy, but, in the end, he's still 7'6 and 300 lbs. And one can argue that when healthy, Yao is right up there with the Del Harris Shaq(prime Shaq was just on another level, perhaps matched only by Hakeem in the past 20 years).

Now the biggest difference between Bynum and Yao is that Yao has a fadeaway, but a fadeaway isn't the only way to score. Bynum's weapon could be the traditional hook or even the skyhook. Let's just hope that he works hard enough that it comes sooner than later.

Forgive me but you said that the biggest difference in Yao and Bynum is a "fadeaway"?

That's not even close to being true. Yao is light years ahead of Bynum in fundamentals. THAT'S the biggest difference. A problem that would not have been if he had gone to college...

With all of the pressure to produce and live up to expectations, it's going to SUPER hard for him to concentrate on doing little things like creating and holding position...

But like you said, Bynum has the size that you can't teach....

If we could get him to gain 20 lbs of muscle, learn how to fight for position (and hold it) down low, he could probably avg 20 ppg off dunks alone. He's that big.

Leave the puppy crap for the twigs. Stop trying to finesse. Go in there and throw it down...
Last edited by GCMD on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feel free to ignore anything I say...

GCMD

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:38 pm

Nice entry Sky. Gave a pretty good assessment of the game for those of us who couldn't see it.

Looking forward to your future entries. Now I have 4 must read blogs--Agent Zero's, Tom Green's, Mark Cuban's, and Sky's.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby nbafan on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:48 pm

can't wait for the games to be on national TV or online..

Nice to hear good things about Crittendon..

Regarding Kobe's facilitator role, it's as if he assumes that guys around him can play one on one.. that's not the case at all. He can't be looking to pass only, with no intention of looking to score. The guys around him need space for them to effective and that can only happen if Kobe attracts double teams as a threat on the offensive end. Looks like Phil is trying to make him understand this again and is trying to revive Kobe's role from championship years a bit.
nbafan

Postby Alpha on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Thanks Sky!

Really appreciate you doing this... I am looking forward to your take on the season.
Alpha

Postby Andrew Evenstar on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:17 pm

SKY, I respect and listen to your topics mostly more than anyone else here.

:jam2:
[The Will To Act] | [My Music Blog]

Born a Laker fan.
Andrew Evenstar

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:03 pm

After watching the 2nd preseason game, I'm having real concerns with Farmar's jumper. A lot of the shots are not even close, the shots were off to the side and not the right distance. And you can see that Farmar is losing confidence in his shot after each miss, and the defender is like 5 feet from him when he catches the ball towards the end. This is not a good sign. I'm sure Farmar worked hard in the offseason, so that is not the problem. His mechanics look good too. I think he just needs to tweak his release just a little bit to get it right. It's a simple adjustment, I just hope someone can show it to him on the staff.
jimbo327

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:28 pm

preseason doesnt matter...we can go 0-8 and i wuldnt care...spurs always have the worst record in preseason...dont get discouraged guys...i just want our top dogs to be healthy when the season starts...that includes Lamar, Luke and Kwame...we're gonna need everyone this year cuz depth is what i think will get us thru the season
FabFourLakers

Postby davidse on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:21 pm

hey sky :)

great news to hear that you'll be blogging. i'll be sure to read every single one.
great start too.

i only got one thing to say - the bobcats need an extra big body !!!

there will never be a better chance to move cook.
we need to act, and act fast.
davidse

Postby Chicano on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:29 am

This site misses you Sky, come back please.
Chicano

Previous

Return to Lakers Blogs