Skyblog: Kobe trade scenarios

Postby quitkthanx on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:38 pm

Thank you Sky. What a great write up. Skills my man, skills.

It's nice to get some actual analysis around here for once, instead of every sentence ending in question marks or thing we already knew.
quitkthanx

Postby Venti Quattro on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:59 pm

crucifixion wrote:I agree...it will be tough to see Kobe with Yao (hey, wasn't that the original 2007 plan, lol) but if we can get their best players, Tmac, Battier, Head, AND Bonzi, then I'm for it. Because even with that, I think Houston will still have a really really good team:

Francis/MJames/Yao/ not sure about PF, but move Kobe to SF and their set.

Are you serious? Why in their right mind would the Rockets trade all four of those players for Kobe Bryant? Sure, Tracy McGrady, Luther Head, and possibly Rafer Alson with Vladimir Radmanovic going back along with Kobe Bryant...or Bonzi Wells instead of Luther Head.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby Lord Johnny on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Yao/Scola/Battier/Kobe/James = Dynasty
Lord Johnny
Clublakers Rep: Puerto Rico

Postby Venti Quattro on Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:19 pm

Lord Johnny wrote:Yao/Scola/Battier/Kobe/James = Dynasty

With Steve Francis as the sixth man...scary.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby davidse on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:08 pm

great job sky - as allways :)

some comments:

knicks -
in 2010, bynum is supposed to be locked in a max deal or very close to it.
assuming that if we take curry, we will look to trade bynum, that won't really change our financial situation in 2010, so the lakers may actually agree to take curry, and move bynum for a talented youngster who'll still be on his rookie deal come 2010. maybe even build a package around bynum to get horford.

about the mavs package - i don't see it as good value or fit for the lakers.
however, i do think the wizards could have an interest in that package for arenas who's about to opt out...

but it needs to be better than this for the lakers to send kobe west. it will take a huge blow up year for harris if the lakers are to do that. imo - extremely doubtfull. i'd rather take the cap space or send him east for much less.

about the suns - there are ways for the lakers to send kwame too in a kobe/amare deal, and help the suns compensate for the loss of size and "duncan stopper".
one way would be to do the marion/odom swap as part of the kobe deal - which vastly increases the value of 25% of salaries exchanged so kwame can be added (perhaps with another minor filler or so).
another option is sending mihm and cook to the suns with the odom/marion swap that already adds some size, also, pj brown is very likely to join imo if they get kobe, and finaly - the suns have the 8 mil trade exception which they dont' really want to use, but they will if it ensures them a title.

point is, i think the deal is there if the suns want it - and by "there" i mean a deal that leaves the suns with suitable big bodies to add to the best and deepest backcourt in nba history...

you already know my position on any bulls' scenarios, so i can only hope you are wrong in your assesment about that one... :man5:
i will say this though, i think that the sonics will have great interest to get involved as a third party and land gordon...
if we don't get deng in the deal, green can be much more valuable for us - especially since he keeps our cap space plans going...
davidse

Postby ndrui on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:37 am

koolkobe wrote:hey sky, i posted this idea in another thred but wanted to know what you thought about it

kobe for Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=

this sends kobe in the weak east where lebron made the finals

sends gilbert to big $$$ place and home in LA

here at least wiz get something instead of losing gilbert for nothing when he opts out of his contract

we get better

Gilbert Arenas/ Derek Fisher/ Jordan Farmar
Caron Butler/ Javaris Crittenton/ Sasha Vujacic
Vladimir Radmanovic/ Luke Walton/ Maurice Evans
Lamar Odom/ Ronny Turiaf/ Brian Cook
Andrew Bynum/ Kwame Brown/ Chris Mihm

good or bad trade??

I like this...if we then can make a run at another big, or add Blatche to the mix sign me up...Hate to lose Kobe but I'd hate to lose him even more in one of these other BS trades....next problem...who coaches?
ndrui

Postby crucifixion on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:55 am

Weezy wrote:
crucifixion wrote:I agree...it will be tough to see Kobe with Yao (hey, wasn't that the original 2007 plan, lol) but if we can get their best players, Tmac, Battier, Head, AND Bonzi, then I'm for it. Because even with that, I think Houston will still have a really really good team:

Francis/MJames/Yao/ not sure about PF, but move Kobe to SF and their set.

Why does Houston give us McGrady, Battier, Head AND Bonzi for Kobe? They're already close to contending, why do they give us 3 of their best players and Bonzi? :man3: McGrady and Head sure. McGrady and Bonzi of course. McGrady and Battier that's pushing it, but to give us ALL of that? Why do they do that?

You misunderstood me. I don't think they would either but I'm just saying if I had to trade him in conference then that's what I'd want from them. And if scola is as good as they say they are set at 4 and looking at their top 5 they are still good. Don't think they'd do it but for kobe to Houston that's what I want.
Odom Light: Less filling, Wastes great
crucifixion

Postby abeer3 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:43 am

UKUGA wrote:Out of that list, the only team I can personally stomach seeing Kobe play for, is the Houston Rockets.

I've always respected the Houston franchise, and when I lived in Texas, they were my "Texas team."

I've been to many a game in sweaty Houston, and know it to be a great sports town. Kobe and Yao would be superfun to watch.

The only other team I would want to see Kobe play for, is my hometown Atlanta Hawks. But, the Hawks are too stupid to make it happen.

i'd love to see a hawks trade.

of the other teams, i still think dallas is the only team willing to give up the goods (howard/harris) to make it happen. but i think buss wants to avoid trading kobe in conference if possible. i'd love to see dirk and kobe together, though.
abeer3

Postby thisbjgz on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:47 am

lol some of you said 2010 plan,

i remember few years back everyone was talking about the 07 plan with lebron and yao and amare. LOL what happened to that? its almost 2008 and you guys wanna do some 2010 plan, good luck !
thisbjgz

Postby deal on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:06 am

Kobe's a great player but we have a situation that needs to be managed and it sounds right that Buss in willing to look at alternatives.

These will be interesting times, gotta love the intrigue......
deal

Postby Lord Johnny on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:16 am

I'm tired of Kobe and his crying, i would do this trade.

Kobe and cook for: Tyrus Thomas,Ben Gordon,Andres Nocioni, Thabo Sefolosha and a pick.

Bynum/Mihm/Kwame
Tyrus Thomas/Turiaf
Lamar/Nocioni/Luke/Vlad
Gordon/Thabo/evans/sasha
Fish/Critt/Fisher
Lord Johnny

Postby Danny Ainge on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:59 am

Kobe/Vlad for TMac/Battier
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Lord Johnny on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:04 pm

Kobe for Arenas and Young :man13: :man13:
Lord Johnny

Re: skyblog: Kobe trade scenarios

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:39 pm

Great breakdown Sky.

My thoughts on the 5 destinations...

Bulls-If I am Buss, this is the only destination I am even considering. That said, I really don't think the two sides will be able to come to an agreement. Bulls seem hellbent on keeping Deng, no matter what is offered to them.

If Paxson changes his mind, Lakers have one hell of a lineup for 08-09:
Bynum
Odom
Deng
Gordon
Critt

Very young, capable team.

Suns-without Amare, the Lakers are getting royally ripped off. And unfortunately the Suns won't give us Amare. Marion, 6th man, and Knight's pick isn't enough for me. The 08 draft is a PG draft. Lakers have Critt and Farmar. No, I wouldn't pass on Rose or Mayo, but I don't think this would be the ideal solution to the Lakers problems...even if they are going on a youth movement.

Mavs-they don't have enough to stay in the running without Hasselhoff's favorite player.

Rockets-on paper, this would be the second best offer, but I am very weary of T-Back and his lackadaisical work ethic. Hayes and Battier would have to thrown in for this not to look like highway robbery.

Knicks-I have a general rule--I believe all GMs should follow it too--if it's Knicks, it's damaged. Lee, Morris, Nichols, and Balkman are the only pieces that remotely interest me and they don't have enough to get the ball rolling. As you said it would take a 3rd team and with the large salaries involved, it becomes very unlikely.

If the Lakers make a Kobe move, a second trade has to come practically immediately. It seems all the discussed trades involve a SF, a spot the Lakers are already loaded. The logjam would have to be cleared. For a team that does not deal, I cannot see this franchise able to work out all the kinks in trading the best player in the NBA. It would likely involve the other party working the phones and getting a 3rd party involved. And the Lakers to have another deal lined up to clear the logjam, before they pull the trigger on a Kobe deal.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby 619 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:32 pm

A trade built around Deng, Thomas and fillers. Hopefully Thabo is included in that. Make it happen.

Postby Ed Guru on Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:43 pm

I don't want to trade Kobe.

I haven't seen a trade scenario that makes me salivate yet..

I am impressed by the way Chicago has made us feel that Deng is all that.. he wouldn't have been on anyones radar a year ago.. but can't help feeling they will relinquish him and we'll feel like we got a good deal..

..not happy though..
..with the sharpness..
Ed Guru

Postby jimbo327 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:25 pm

You forgot Miami Heat. Pat Riley is probably on his chartered jet to wine and dine with Buss and FO. Would be funny to trade Wade here, and re-establish Shaq and Kobe for a few more title runs.
jimbo327

Postby JSM on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:37 pm

jimbo327 wrote:You forgot Miami Heat. Pat Riley is probably on his chartered jet to wine and dine with Buss and FO. Would be funny to trade Wade here, and re-establish Shaq and Kobe for a few more title runs.

While Kobe and Shaq are civil with one another (depending on who you believe), their relationship will never improve from that state. Teammates? I think both parties would rather stay in their current situation.

And Wade is the only player in the NBA that would make me stop watching the Lakers. I couldn't stomach watching him disgrace the Lakers' name his gimmick basketball.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby YESMAR1 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:57 pm

Kobe for Marion, Barbosa & ATL #1 Pick

Fish/Crit/Farmar
Barbosa/Evans
Marion/Luke/Vlad
Odom//Turiaf
Bynum/Mihm/Kwame
YESMAR1

Postby Radner on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:07 pm

The best trade proposed so far is Kobe to Charlotte and J-Rich/Wallace to L.A.

Other than that.........
Radner

Postby Sky on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Thnaks for the positive response guys, addressing questions/ideas...

What about a Washington trade?
Problem there is Kobe's no trade clause. The Wiz have no bigs. Jamison is a chucker matador, Brendan Haywood, nuf said. Blatche has some talent but he's not ready yet. Those in favor of a Washington deal are focused exclusively on what LA gets back. Kobe can veto it, and imo he would. He's just moved across the country to a very similar situation, placed on a no D team that can't legitimately contend. I think Kobe would wait for his list of five to ante up.

Why a concern for triangle fit?
LA could re-sign Jackson with the right trade or keep the tri even after he's gone. I would love to see the tri leave with Jackson but it's possible that Rambis or Shaw would still run it. Heaven forbid.

2010 plan??!!!? For the love of...
Yeah I know. Just because I wrote about it doesn't mean I'm in favor of it. Just pointing to the business reality.

Sure the chances of LeBron, Wade or Bosh opting out and coming here in 2010 are inifinitesimal. One of the many concerns with Laker management is extreme arrogance. "We're the Lakers they will come." No in all likelihood they won't. But try telling that to Doc, Jim and Mitch.

This franchise runs on names and they will not make a trade that ends the chance at a name. That's just how this team is run, in this town you need a name or you lose the buzz - and the justification for premium pricing courtside and in the suites.

If Chicago offers Deng they are the favorite.
If they do not Houston deadline becomes the favorite.
Phoenix can offer Marion, Barbosa and the Atlanta #1 and hope LA caves.
Dallas can offer Howard, Harris and change and hope LA caves.
In New York Isiah has to pull a miracle 3-way.

Other suggested teams:
Washington - Kobe veto
Charlotte - Kobe veto
Atlanta - Ownership infighting amongst the partners will prevent any deals

Chicago or Houston has the ability to make Buss pull the trigger. Dallas is willing to give talent, but is it of sufficient impact to get Buss to agree to a deal? Doubtful.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Massacre on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:23 pm

Hypothetically speaking Sky, if both Houston and Chicago offer what management wants, do you think the Laker brass would go for a youth movement and deal for Deng or try and immediatley contend by bringing in the closest thing to Kobe (my thoughts) in McGrady?
Massacre
Clublakers Moderator

Postby The Maverick on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:43 pm

Man I hate these 20-- plans. Superstars rarely nowadays, the only player I could see leaving is LeBron and if he does he will go to Brooklyn.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby LoyalLakerfan44 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 pm

I cannot see Kobe being traded to a western conference team. This is a situation similar to that of KG. Kobe will end up in the east possibly Chicago. First of all the Suns will not take a step back losing Amare, There is no reason why Houston would take a team that's moving in the right direction and dismantle it. There is no guarantee that Yao will fare better with Kobe.
I would love to have Arenas in P&G, I think that with the possibility of him opting out this swap could happen. It all depends on whether Kobe would go to a crappy Wizards team, a three way with Chicago could be worked out.
However we can forget the western Kobe in the west it's not going to happen.
LoyalLakerfan44

Postby mixtim on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:28 am

Are we really that sure that Kobe would put his veto to a Bobcats trade, with MJ as the ultimate boss to play for?
Wouldn't that be a terrific challenge for his competitive nature?
mixtim

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Blogs