Walton, Bynum Lead Lakers Past Old Rivals

Postby Heir on Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:21 am

Playing in their final preseason game before the new season, the Los Angeles Lakers came in already bit by the injury bug. But in Wednesday's 102-81 loss to the Utah Jazz, the Lakers suffered yet another setback: Kobe Bryant sprained his right wrist. Bryant, the subject of recent trade rumors, has complained all preseason about both of his knees being sore. On Wednesday night, he injured his right shooting hand attempting a jump shot against Utah's Mehmet Okur. Both Lakers coach Phil Jackson and Bryant thought it would be wise if Bryant sat out the Lakers' final preseason game against the Kings in Las Vegas Friday night.

Chris Mihm and Kwame Brown both have played sparingly this preseason, as Mihm tries to get back on track after missing all of last season because of a severe ankle sprain, while Brown tries to recover from surgeries on both an ankle and shoulder. Lamar Odom was recently ruled out of playing Opening Night Tuesday, and maybe for 2 or 3 more games thereafter. Odom himself is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery.

So the Lakers, without Bryant, took the floor Friday night ready to take on Sacramento. The Lakers proved to be too much for the Kings in this one, as they hung on for a 101-97 win. Before the game, the Kings learned that Mike Bibby tore a ligament in his left hand, forcing him out of action for a good 6-10 weeks. Quincy Douby started in place of Bibby and scored 12 points but had 0 assists. Martin, their leading scorer from last season, went 5-21 from the field and scored 22 points. But there were some bright spots for Sacramento, with Salmons chipping in 22 and Garcia going 5 for 6 from the floor and scoring 16.

Without Bryant, Jackson looked to Vujacic at SG. He went 0-8 from the floor, but it had no impact on the game. The Lakers, led by Luke Walton and Andrew Bynum, closed the first half on a 17-4 run. Bynum made his prescence felt the moment he came in, as he scored on a left handed hook shot in the lane. He then followed that with 2 more dunks in the half, with one off a beautiful feed from Turiaf. With Bynum scoring all the points for the Lakers, Walton was setting him and everyone else up for easy looks. Walton would record 8 assists, displaying his excellent floor vision that's been evident since his days at Arizona in college.

Game Notes:

Jackson went with the lineup he plans on starting Tuesday night against Houston. A frontcourt of Walton, Turiaf, and Brown, along with Fisher and Vujacic (starting in place of Bryant) in the backcourt...Andrew Bynum celebrated his final day as a teenager Friday night...Barry Bonds was in attendance with the Maloof brothers.

President of Royal Freshness Entertainment

Yes We Can
Heir

Postby KB24 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:09 pm

Bynum was incredible...he didn´t really disappoint in any game...he has kinda internalized to dunk most of the shots around the hoop...I really liked what I saw offensively and he is quicker, more athletic and stronger...very good footwork and also he has been consistent on the boards and offensively...

his defense needs work but that was to be expected, he still is easily the best shotblocker on this team.

against Sacramento he had some stuff I had never seen him doing before...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Ed Guru on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:53 pm

Bynum was impressive for sure - so was Turiaf. In fact Cobe Karl looked great and that's when it hit me that it was pre-season for sure!

That said Bynum and Turiaf will both have an impact this year.. in fact I'd like to see Karl get in the games - he's on the roster for a reason.

Still some good signs, let's hope we can build on it right now.. the season is here finally!
..with the sharpness..
Ed Guru

Postby Weezy on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:49 pm

KB24@CL wrote:Bynum was incredible...he didn´t really disappoint in any game...he has kinda internalized to dunk most of the shots around the hoop...I really liked what I saw offensively and he is quicker, more athletic and stronger...very good footwork and also he has been consistent on the boards and offensively...

his defense needs work but that was to be expected, he still is easily the best shotblocker on this team.

against Sacramento he had some stuff I had never seen him doing before...

I agree completely, that alley-oop from Luke was sick. That spin move he made on Mikki Moore in the lane was fantastic. Sure he missed the dunk, but he'll get that timing down, at least he got his own miss and layed it back in.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Blogs