You can take the MVP and SHOVE IT!!!!

You can take the MVP and SHOVE IT!!!!

Postby GuRu on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:22 am

Ive been on this forum for years talking about the MVP award and how ridiculous it is. Its a popularity contest governed by being at the right place at the right time. A wide array of players, all of different talent and skill levels, are capable of winning this hollow and ill-defined bookend hardware.

Here, you are the best player on the best team, and hopefully you havent done anything deemed publicly wrong in the past 18 months. Oh and being heavily endorsed would be a huge bonus. Enjoy.

When Iverson won it in 2000 the award completely lost all merit. Put Duncan on the friggin Raptors after that and he never repeats. Garnett choke city? Please. And dont even get me started on the abortion-fest of an atrocity that was the Steve Nash back-to-back, near 3-peat. Oh and spineless Dirk? Yeah, howd that turn out? Stop giving it to the best guy on the team with a great record. I mean, you put LeBron James on the Spurs and he wins the next 8 MVP awards with ease.

The award used to go to the best player in the league. The player that was most valueable to his team. Michael and Magic earned those awards. Now its a media blitz, that almost gives the Heisman trophy a run in comparison to the swayed opinions and hype.

But now it looks like Kobe might actually have to make room on the mantle. Well, whoopity-doo! And people around here are now going nuts! Like its a huge validating accomplishment all of the sudden. Like Kobe has finally earned it! What the hell? He's been arguably the best player in the league for the last 6 years. But a bad image, some immaturity, a clueless GM, and salary cap hell have kept him out of the serious running. Well, They can keep their trophy and just let Kobe go on about his way onto a championship .

Winning the MVP is like filling in the blanks of an equation. You do A + B + C and at least one of E,F,G, or H and here you go. Well, my opinion of the empty award isnt going to change just because Kobe finally got some help, the drama has died down, and the sportswriters have found better players to tear down.

You can keep your most valuable player awards, Kobe doesnt need it to validate what every Laker fan knows, and has known for the last few years. Id rather have the best player every single time.
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:31 am

that was THE best rant i've read in months :jam2:
pound4pound1

Postby RJ on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:33 am

We have an MVP thread:
http://www.clublakers.com/forums/4-14-u ... 93168.html

Do your best job to keep all MVP talk in there.
[PSN ID: RJN]

{CLK} One team. One Clan.
RJ, No Scope, Nissan, CrazyLikeCatfish, LD2K, Helljumper, TXLAKERFAN
PM me to join.
RJ

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:34 am

Nash winning twice :man10: what a joke...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby CJ on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:36 am

In All seriousness great post, the mvp is a load of bs
CJ
England's Lakers Rep

Postby John3:16 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:38 am

GuRu -- my man! :bow:

Good to see you and I hope all is well with you and yours.

Sadly, I disagree with you. I know the award "criteria" is a joke and it changes every year, but as a "kobe guy", I want him to win it. I want him to get a sliver of what he deserves. he'll never be the media darling Jordan was (is), but watching Kobe get beat down over and over by the media............ man, I just want it this once, even if it's a small consolation prize.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby TalkieWalkie on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:40 am

Guru... you are a man after my own heart!

This is EXACTLY what I feel.

We've all sat through these passed few years and watched Kobe get snubbed when he deserved it and we REALIZED that the MVP award is not a basketball award... its an award about Political Correctness and what the tight a_sses in the media think is PROPER...

This is exactly why I was hoping Kobe could break that cycle and be the at guy who the people enjoy without the validation of the corporate sponsored media.

Kobe was gonna make the MVP IRRELAVENT....and I was happy with that....

I'm happy for him... but it would have been a larger moral victory had he not won this award...

TAKE THE MVP AND SHOVE IT!

Kobe = GOAT
Last edited by TalkieWalkie on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby sugi942 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:53 am

I'll still like the fact that Kobe is going to be recognized. It may mean something to him and while he's a Laker, that's good enough for me.
sugi942

Postby PowerGriz on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:27 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Nash winning twice :man10: what a joke...

Nash deserved it
PowerGriz

Postby Radner on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:42 am

PowerGriz wrote:

Nash deserved it
Radner

Postby John3:16 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:17 am

PowerGriz wrote:

Nash deserved it

When Kobe averaged 35, Nash deserved it? I strongly disagree.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby crucifido on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:27 am

Great article Guru, I miss your takes!

I totally agree about the award in general. My main reason I'd like Kobe to grab the MVP this year is so Kobe can get a call or two once in a while. But, I'd kind of like to see him not get it too. I'd love to see what his frustration can do to the rest of the NBA.

Other than that, its an individual award and as awards go, the only on that matters is the ultimate team one - the O'Brien Trophy.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby ElginTheGreat on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:30 am

John3:16 wrote:
PowerGriz wrote:

Nash deserved it

When Kobe averaged 35, Nash deserved it? I strongly disagree.

Amen. Nash deserved absolutely nothing and that's not just being a Laker homer. For a two-time MVP to not have even made it to the Finals is ridiculous. He only plays on one end of the floor, he.... you know what. Never mind. Worst two-time MVP in the history of the league.
ElginTheGreat

Postby BadScooter on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:08 am

Nash deserved it

....last year. Not the other two.
* L.A. Lakers * N.Y. Giants * FSU Seminoles *
“‘How’d ye Jersey boys ever make it this far?’…’Listen, my son…you don’t know nothin’ ’bout where we’re from…’” – Ted Leo, 'A Bottle of Buckie'
BadScooter

Postby clublakers on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:15 pm

Rack him! :jam2:
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Satan on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Wow, GURU AND CL in one thread, it must be the playoffs!

Totally agree with the rant except the part about TD, I think he's a good candidate almost any year.

When I stopped respecting it is when Shaq was overlooked again and again. At his prime he should have been MVP every year.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby Rep-EE-RC on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:20 am

I would NEVER pass up an award someone gave me.
Cal State Berkeley EERC is saving lives.
I Image Sasha!
Rep-EE-RC

Postby GuRu on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:57 am

Rep-EE-RC wrote:I would NEVER pass up an award someone gave me.

Its not about passing it up. Of course (if he does in fact win, I think he will) is going to accept the award with grace, and give the interviews, and say all the right things.

But my point was that in my eyes, it all means nothing. The MVP is no longer some prestigious award. Hell, Steve effin' Nash has two of them.
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby Ed Guru on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:40 am

Whilst I agree that there is an element of disappointment seeing someone like Dirk get MVP and then playing poorly in the play-offs last year - the fact remains it's a good award that is based upon basic criteria and selected by a democratic process of so-called experts.

I look down at the list of MVPs and I don't always agree with the selections (Nash on the 2nd I was against) but then I remember that it's:
a) subjective not a simple statistical crunch or formula
b) democratic; that means it's more balanced than just one person's opinion.

Thus, to win such an award would seem like a great honour still - I don't see how Nash, Dirk and company have tarnished that - you could make a great argument for each of them in those years.

Also, let's not forget final's MVP is for the playoffs - it's purely for the regular season.

Go Kobe - I think he's going to get it this year - stats or not, it's been his best year IMHO and he should get the nod over Paul.
..with the sharpness..
Ed Guru

Postby BDG on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:46 am

Glad you blogged Guru :jam2:

All I'll say is, it was pretty funny watching a 2-time "MVP" get torched for 41 pts & 12 ast tonight.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Return to Lakers Blogs