2003 Free Agents

2003 Free Agents

Postby clublakers on Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:49 am

Lets get this thing rolling with some food for thought (via LA Times):

Gary Payton, Milwaukee -- Sen. Herb Kohl, who's selling, can drop below the luxury-tax threshold by letting him go, saving Payton's salary, $12.6 million, plus $5 million in luxury tax and making the Bucks eligible to share in the players' escrow money. This would add more than $20 million to next season's bottom line and make it easier to lure a buyer to the tundra. For his part, Payton has said of Milwaukee, "It's only two months." The Spurs are thinking about Payton too. Otherwise, it's Denver, where he says he won't go, a sign-and-trade, a pay cut or Winter Wonderland.

Gilbert Arenas, Golden State -- There have been few darkhorses like him. A shooting guard drafted in the second round in 2001, he's now one of the league's best young point guards and the Warriors' franchise player. But they can only offer him $4.5 million without dumping someone and have already struck out trying to move Erick Dampier's $7.9-million salary and Danny Fortson's $5.9-million deal. Denver would max Arenas out, but his father says our Valley Guy out of Grant High in Van Nuys doesn't do cold weather. Right on, dude.

Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana -- He looked set to stay, but that was before the bottom dropped out of the Pacer season. If he's on the market, the Spurs will be interested.

Michael Olowokandi, Clippers -- After a lost season, his price dropped like a rock but, as they keep saying in the stock market, we may have just put a bottom in. The Spurs were hot for him, switched to Kidd but now must rethink Olowokandi. They're determined not to give an unproven player $100 million just because they have it to spend but may yet come up with a number he and they can agree on.

Brad Miller, Indiana -- Also expected to stay but could be a fall-back position for the Spurs. He's not a star but he was an All-Star -- if only in the East. As he proved in Indy, he can make the right team bigger and better.

Karl Malone, Utah -- He goes into a tizzy every summer, but unless he outdoes himself and takes $4.5 million in Dallas, he'll be back at the same old pop stand with his little buddy, John Stockton.

Rasho Nesterovic, Minnesota -- A less-accomplished but still developing 7-footer, he's expected to stay.

Juwan Howard, Denver -- He has had one major problem the last seven seasons, he was overpriced at $105 million. That will be corrected.

Scottie Pippen, Portland -- He's such an obvious fit for Phil Jackson, the Laker coach even acknowledges it, flirting with the tampering rules. Under normal circumstances, Paul Allen would pay anything to keep him from the Lakers but now faces an astounding $100-million projected loss, with an $87-million payroll coming back, meaning another projected loss of $80 million to $90 million. Of course, before the Lakers, who are creaky enough, take on the 38-year-old Pippen, they'd better make sure that this time they consider ...

Keon Clark, Sacramento -- He flew under the radar last season, which included a marijuana arrest while he negotiated with the few interested teams. He was ignored by the Lakers, who gave their veteran's exception to Devean George; the Mavericks, who pursued Rashard Lewis, and the Spurs, who saved their cap space for this summer. In the meantime, Clark has been a $4.5-million bargain for the Kings. Clark is 28, a 6-11, shot-blocking dervish with surprising offensive skills, so the thought of his playing alongside, and backing up, O'Neal is intriguing.

Alonzo Mourning, Miami -- He's planning a comeback but was so erratic in his last one, a Heat team that looked like an East power didn't make the playoffs.

Jerry Stackhouse, Washington -- While bashing Kwame Brown, Michael Jordan also said a few things that reflected on Stackhouse, so he'd better not tempt Jordan by opting out.

P.J. Brown, New Orleans -- A 6-10 power forward who defends and averages 10 points and 10 rebounds is well worth $4.5 million.

Dale Davis, Portland -- Higher-maintenance than Brown and not as skilled, but he's stronger and can play center so he'll get offers.

Reggie Miller, Indiana -- An Indy folk hero, he wants to finish up there and the Pacers want to keep him.

Derrick Coleman, Philadelphia -- Going on 36 with his legs gone, he has actually, if belatedly, developed a good enough attitude to play. The 76ers will try to keep him, but it'll be interesting to see if they offer him anything like his current $9.4 million. And if they don't, what the old mercenary does.

Eric Piatkowski, Clippers -- The Lakers need shooters with the court sense to play in a reading offense. He'd be so happy to stay in town, let alone with a real team, he might take the $1-million veteran's minimum.

Elton Brand -- His agent, David Falk, yearns to take him on the market next summer, but Brand wants to stay. (I know, I can't believe it, either.) The Clippers won't go for any sign-and-trade demands and if anyone makes him an offer, they'll match.

Lamar Odom -- Sterling retains a soft spot for Odom, who made such a splash as a rookie, and will match on him too.

Corey Maggette -- Maybe only hard-core fans and NBA people noticed in this lost season, but this super-athlete is happening. You'd assume they'd match on him, but let's not forget who we're dealing with.

Andre Miller -- I'd guess they won't match on him, since the organization was disappointed in him -- and vice versa -- and they have a bargain at the position in the promising Marko Jaric.

source: http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-nbacol6apr06,1,5980183.column?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dsports%2Dnba%2Dlakers
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Reddy on Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:03 pm

cool to see no lakers are free agents in 2003 :man10:
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Dragan on Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:21 pm

Gilbert Arenas
Juwan Howard
Scottie Pippen
P.J. Brown
Dale Davis
Corey Maggette

This is in my mind list of good, realistic targets.
Dragan

Postby Guest on Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:37 am

I am praying and I am praying every single night. Oh god, please bring home the Vally kid. I know it's a long shot, but it just might happen.

The lakers NEED to offer their entire MLE to him though, with a promise to increase it dramatically every year.

Anyway, if he doesn't bite then go for Howard, and draft a point.

I will be very happy with an offseason of Howard for the MLE, Pippen for the LLE, and a talented point to develop in the draft.

on a side note....I am so afraid of what the Spurs do next season it's not even funny. They are well under the cap and can sign a max free agent. I say the spurs are one stud swingman away from running the league. Imagine if they got Odom in the summer. I would vomit.

Postby ZenMaster on Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:55 pm

Hello everyone...LOVE the new setup CL! May it reign 4ever :jam2:

As far as free agents, I know Phil would love to have Pippen jump on board, and I have a nagging feeling it'll happen...however the more I think about it, the more I feel we should use the $ on other free agents...Juwan Howard, Keon Clark (that would make up for us missing the boat on him last year!), or some other talented PF....plus a solid PG (I STILL like Jason Terry, Rafer Alston, Jeff Trepagnier or Omar Cook)...and also the re-signing of Mark Madsen. And let us not forget the NBA draft.....*WHEW * ! It all CAN be done, that is if Jerry B. spends the $...

P.S. Congrats Lakers for clinching a playoff spot! # 6 and counting...KEEP IT UP :jam2:
ZenMaster

Postby clublakers on Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:52 pm

The above article mentioned Piakowski to the Lakers for the veteran minimum. I dunno if that is what Phil has in mind. Just as we ranted last summer about getting younger, I think a 1-year veteran is better suited to play in the paint than chasing around the perimiter.

I know I'm in the minority, but I still like Fish and don't like Juwan Howard. I'd rather have Brian Skinner for a few million less.

Where is Payton going? New York? Golden State? Sounds like the Bucks want to have a swap meet and sell the team, so a sign and trade is doubtful.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Danny Ainge on Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:24 pm

In my opinion, our recent attempts to obtain a shooter has not faired out well. The energy guys bring the most to the table.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Reddy on Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:29 pm

Derek Fisheer
the guy has improved so much i like him too
he is good on both sides of floors
so i am with you there too, CL!
INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:51 pm

When would Jerry Buss be offering the $40 million extension for Shaq ?

And what's this I hear about Kobe not biting on any extensions to continue on as a Laker ?? Hope this isn't something to worry about, I can not see Kobe playing for any other team besides the L.A Lakers.

I like both Pippen and Juwan Howard coming to the city of angels next season, but do we have enough $ to sign both of them ?
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

Pippen & PJ Brown will do

Postby Guest on Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:29 am

All I want to see is Pippen & PJ in a Laker uniform next year and the Lake show will be more than favorites to win the next 2 to 3 championships to come. Lets spend some $$$ Dr. Buss.

Postby clublakers on Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:58 pm

DA, agree that bringing in athletes that can play D is more productive than pure shooters. ...well, as long as they are playing in a Phil Jackson system anyway.

Lakers4PEAT, Kobe is waiting for the league to hammer out the new CBA so his maximum price can go up. It's just business. Shaq's contract expires in 2006, but I'm unclear on when Buss can pull the trigger on that extension. Anyone know?

Pippen would indeed be nice with the MLE, but with Walker, Madsen, and Horry (likely) ready to walk, they might have to spend that jack on a PF. How nice would Keon Clark be next to Shaq. Shot blocks o' plenty.

clublakers
Site Admin

How to spend Mitch's money

Postby whats golden on Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:16 am

If we are going to spend some money, lets do it properly.

Juwan Howard and Keon Clark would both be a nice fit for us. Howard who has averaged 17.9 ppg during his career would give us that third scoring threat while Clark could back both Howard and the Most Dominant Ever up, while being good for 10 ppg and 8 rpg.

J Terry is needed at point. While D-Fish is playing some great ball at the moment, he really needs to come off the bench. Terry would give us a fourth option and the man can find the open player, look at his averages. 7.4 apg and 17.1 ppg.

Forget Pip and Payton. Chase the three above Mitch. Lets continue the business of winning championships.

Now lets look at the line up that this would give us

PG: Terry/Fisher/Pargo
SG: Kobe/Rush
SF: George/Fox
PF: Howard/Clark/Madsen
C: Shaq/Clark/Madsen

This is all assuming that, as CL believes, Walker and Horry walk (I think Madsen will stay). There is always the option that we could rotate Howard into the SF position as well as PF, which would give us a lineup like this:

SF: Howard/George/Fox
PF: Clark/Madsen

What do you think guys?

This way we get some young guys (Terry and Clark) to complement the veterans that we have.

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby ZenMaster on Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:16 am

I like it, What's Golden, I like it....but I prefer your first rotation, I think we should definitely keep Juwan at PF, George at SF and have Clark and Fox come off the bench, along with Fisher (he'd be better off the bench too, I agree) and a more mature, second-year Rush too.....that'd be a KILLER second unit. If you have Juwan at SF, then George behind him, and THEN Fox (third string?) it gets a little too messy....plus lots of whining about PT, I can just see it now. Keep the first setup/rotation you have and all will be well.....but man, what a lineup THAT would be, eh?.... :jam2: Spend the $, Jerry B., spend the $.....
ZenMaster

2003 rotation

Postby whats golden on Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:36 pm

Thanks Zen Master, the first rotation would be my choice too. But I guess choosing a possible rotation is only the first step, the second step is going to be slightly more difficult.

Step 2: Get Mitch to spend the coin. Wiith a rotation like that you could almost (and I say almost due to freak of nature happenings) put the Lakers on the next 5 championship trophies.

This off season is shaping to be a big one for us so Mitch spend the money. Do you really think the fans will care to much if we have to pay a luxury tax when the chapionships are rolling in and the franchise that Jerry built will become the most successfull in NBA history because you kept it all together Mitch.

Anyway enough of my ramblings..... do the deals Mitch, do whatever it takes. Get me my rotation.

PF: Howard/Clark/Madsen

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby clublakers on Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:44 am

In response to Shaq's extension, it can be inked September 2003. Great, how many free agents will be signed with after Buss writes a $121.5 million check for one player.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby ZenMaster on Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:16 pm

Hey guys, is it true that Shaq has already approached Mitch K. about this extension?...thought I read this on another website...man, it's not even close to September yet, can't he at least wait until the season's over?....now, if he does get what he wants, do we still have the mid-level exception and veteran minimum salary slot available to sign anyone? Or are those eaten up by the Big Diesel's contract too.... :freak2:
ZenMaster

Postby Reddy on Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:31 am

I HOPE KOBE AND SHAQ EXTEND!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE DUO BELONGS IN LOS ANGELES AND SHOULD END THEIR CAREER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby clublakers on Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:07 am

Right ZM, I think it was on yesterday's Daily news...

Mitch met with Shaq and his legal thugs for lunch on Monday (if memory serves) to review the details of the extension.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:01 am

You're right CL, my bad......thanks :jam2:

Wonder who would be willing to play here for the bare minimum, since that's all we will probably have left to spare?........ :man3:
ZenMaster

Postby Danny Ainge on Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:19 am

Blimey we've got another dingo from down under come to visit us. Fresh off the Barbie are ya mate? JK, Wasup Whats Golden? You speak true dog, but our recent attempts to land J-Terry had gone sour. What makes ya think Kupchak is gonna pull his finger out of his @$$? As for the big "Aristotle" stayin' So-Cal, I think us laker fans need not worry. He'll end his career as a Laker as many great men of his stature have.
Danny Ainge

don't need nobody perfect team

Postby THE MAGICIAN on Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:04 pm

4-peat :man1:
THE MAGICIAN

Postby Danny Ainge on Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:53 pm

Tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean Quat-Row
Danny Ainge

things change

Postby whats golden on Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:24 pm

Well as we all know Horry wants to remain a Laker so here is my revised thoughts for the offseason.

1. Get Juwan Howard - if we can get this guy for the MLE it will be the signing of the offseason. If the rumors are true and this guys wants to come play for us then this is a no brainer, so hopefully we don't have to spell it out for Mitch.

2. Jason Terry - for reasons already explained

3. Gilbert Arenas - I like the way that this guy plays and the fact that Phil thinks he would be a good fit for us is good enough for me. While his assists (6.3) are down on Terry's (7.4) his scoring output (18.3) is slightly higher than Terry's (17.2). He is also a better rebounder and has a better shooting percentage.

My first thought is to sign Terry before Arenas but you never know I could be persuaded otherwise - its a pity that Atlanta and Golden State didn't make the playoffs, we'd be able to see how the two boys perform at the big dance.

Now lets look at the line up that this would give us

PF: Howard/Horry/Madsen
C: Shaq/Madsen

- or -

PG: Arenas/Fisher/Pargo
PF: Howard/Horry/Madsen
C: Shaq/Madsen

Either way you look at it the Larry O'Brian tropies will be rolling down the Staples dressed in Purple and Gold for many years to come.
Last edited by whats golden on Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

convinced

Postby whats golden on Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:26 pm

Hell I just read what I wrote and have managed to convince myself

Swap 2 and 3, lets get Arenas - remember he has Phils blessing.

Please don't let him go to Denver Mitch, let them chase Dre Miller and we can go for Arenas.

Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby clublakers on Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:41 pm

Ok, I'll give it a go, but lets use up some bandwidth while were at it...

Starting Five:
Image Image Image Image Image

Second String:
Image Image Image Image Image

The End of the Bench:
Image Image

I traded on draft day our pick plus Devean George to Memphis for Luke Ridenour, our future point guard.

I moved Medvedenko, Rush, and our 2nd round pick to Milwaukee for Micheal Redd.

I signed as free agents Madsen, Pargo, Brian Skinner and Adrian Griffen.. all for defense, and none too expensive.

Keon Clark is our MLE.

I don't think we need a scoring point guard like Terry or Arenas, nor can we pay what the market will offer them this summer. Pippen is just blowing smoke to get a fat final contract to line his retirement nest with. Horry will be retained for a final season if for no other reason, loyalty.

clublakers
Site Admin

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion