2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby emplay on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey all,

Here’s my 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division - Part 4 of a series at Basketball Insiders - Suns/Kings/Warriors/Clippers/Lakers

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2014- ... -division/

Almost done projecting what teams will have cap room this summer – and how much.

Thanks!

Eric
Check me at at www.HOOPSWORLD.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
emplay
Clublakers Analyst
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:50 pm

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Wow... the Suns are in a nice situation. 4 firsts and a around 20 mil to spend in a few scenarios.

That team is fairly well rounded out now.... they just need a star and their in a pretty nice situation. A couple of those picks and one of the younger pieces could net them a nice upper tier player to go with that core and still have 15 Million to spend and 2 picks.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22954
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:36 am

Rooscooter wrote:Wow... the Suns are in a nice situation. 4 firsts and a around 20 mil to spend in a few scenarios.

That team is fairly well rounded out now.... they just need a star and their in a pretty nice situation. A couple of those picks and one of the younger pieces could net them a nice upper tier player to go with that core and still have 15 Million to spend and 2 picks.


Steve Nash...still working hard for the Suns.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Aonex on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:55 am

Nice draft to be loaded with four picks.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
User avatar
Aonex

 
Posts: 5425
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:04 pm
Location: NYC

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Bilbao-LakerMagic on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:02 pm

I assume that if Lakers can get 2 good players via free agency and a good Draft Pick, things could change a lot. Currently, a lot of players want to play for Miami, Clippers... they get good players at a cheap price, with a deep bench,

I would like to get a Center... for example, Greg Monroe.

A PG like Eric Bledsoe could be a good addition too.

I assume that Bledsoe and Monroe are realistic goals. For sure, LeBron James would be...

If you get a player like Andrew Wiggins via Draft... you have Bledsoe, Monroe and Wiggins to add close to Kobe, Nick Young, etc.

I don't know about Pau Gasol's intention, and if he would renew at a cheap price, same to Jordan Hill...

Let's see...

Go Lakers !!
User avatar
Bilbao-LakerMagic

 
Posts: 577
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 7:51 am

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby XXIV on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:34 am

^ I'd like to get Monroe as well but I have a feeling a couple of other franchises are going enter a bidding war for him. I was a lot higher on him last season and rightfully so, because his play has really gone down this year. Whether it's because of the addition Josh Smith or the emergence of Drummond I'm not sure, but I wouldn't go near the max salary for him.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6388
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 am

XXIV wrote:^ I'd like to get Monroe as well but I have a feeling a couple of other franchises are going enter a bidding war for him. I was a lot higher on him last season and rightfully so, because his play has really gone down this year. Whether it's because of the addition Josh Smith or the emergence of Drummond I'm not sure, but I wouldn't go near the max salary for him.


I'm not sold on Monroe at all. Let's face it, if the Pistons vaunted bigs are so special, why are they only 2 games better than us in the far, far weaker East? I promise you, if we had three bigs worth 8 figure salaries, we'd be in the playoffs right now. Obviously players like Drummond and Monroe are overvalued if those two with Josh Smith (who is completely overpaid) can't lead them to the eastern playoffs.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby XXIV on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:54 am

I can agree with that, and that's why the Lakers will face a tough decision if they do choose to pursue him. He had a good season last year and then his play declined quite a bit. Now when you decide what he's worth you have to determine what Monroe you'll be getting. For the right salary (maybe around 6-8m tops imo) I wouldn't be opposed with bringing him to LA. Maybe he gets back to the Monroe everyone was raving about last year and he continues to develop playing alongside Kobe, but he's definitely not a player who can lead a team into the playoffs. I see him more as a #3 on a contender.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6388
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby therealdeal on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:35 pm

You guys are totally off-base. Monroe is a very talented young man and he's going to get near the max, if not a complete max deal, from someone. 6-8 million? No way. He's worth closer to 10 and you probably won't get him for that.

He's playing less minutes this year next two very good rebounders on a bad team and he's averaging almost what he did last season.

2014: 15.1 points 9.3 rebounds 2.0 assists 1.1 steals 0.6 blocks
2013: 16.0 points 9.6 rebounds 3.5 assists 1.3 steals 0.7 blocks

He's shooting 50.2% from the field and is only taking 12 shots a game to get 15 points. He's efficient around the rim, an above average passer, and he's got very good hands both offensively and defensively.

His cons: he's not a great leaper, he's not the greatest post defender or rim protector, and he's shown regression on his free throw shooting.

Overall the kid is only 24 or something and he's one of the better big men in the NBA already. I'd love to have him here and I'd be willing to pay a pretty good amount of money for him. Certainly more than 6-8 million.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40341
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:You guys are totally off-base. Monroe is a very talented young man and he's going to get near the max, if not a complete max deal, from someone. 6-8 million? No way. He's worth closer to 10 and you probably won't get him for that.

He's playing less minutes this year next two very good rebounders on a bad team and he's averaging almost what he did last season.

2014: 15.1 points 9.3 rebounds 2.0 assists 1.1 steals 0.6 blocks
2013: 16.0 points 9.6 rebounds 3.5 assists 1.3 steals 0.7 blocks

He's shooting 50.2% from the field and is only taking 12 shots a game to get 15 points. He's efficient around the rim, an above average passer, and he's got very good hands both offensively and defensively.

His cons: he's not a great leaper, he's not the greatest post defender or rim protector, and he's shown regression on his free throw shooting.

Overall the kid is only 24 or something and he's one of the better big men in the NBA already. I'd love to have him here and I'd be willing to pay a pretty good amount of money for him. Certainly more than 6-8 million.


Those stats are OK, but I'm looking at what the team is doing. If Monroe was a 10 million a year player along with Drummond and Smith, shouldn't they be at least in the playoff picture in the east? Looking at our roster, there are a few guys who put up good stats, but they aren't translating to wins obviously. At some point, shouldn't we be looking at impact? If a team has two max or near max-level bigs (Drummond and Monroe) shouldn't they have more than 27 wins in one of the worst conferences in the history of basketball.

And also, check the stats. He is averaging a half a minute a game less (33.2 to 32.7.) It's not like he has been reduced to riding the pine. Do we want to use 10 million of our cap on a player who will need to play center if we get Kevin Love? I'd rather get an Omar Asik type player to play center along side Love.

I suppose everything changes depending on where we draft. If we land Wiggins, then I guess Monroe isn't as bad as we hopefully have our wing of the future locked up cheap for 5 years. But if we're picking 6-8, I'd only go for him at 8 million or less.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:49 pm

^^^ stats aside Monroe knows how to play the game and position himself. On a team that utilizes him more with a decent playmaker he got 20-10 potential easily. A big who still likes to get dirty. Rare.

As for your argument about the playoffs..... Where should a team with Love, Rubio, Pekovic, and Martin be..... Everyone wants Love.....

I'd love to go after him but I almost positive we won't pursue him. We're looking for flash and marketable players with our big slots...... He's an effective "lunch box" guy.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22954
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Rooscooter wrote:As for your argument about the playoffs..... Where should a team with Love, Rubio, Pekovic, and Martin be..... Everyone wants Love.....


C'mon, Roo. Pekovic is very solid player. But Martin has been traded twice and is as one dimensional as they come. Rubio? I can name 15 pgs in this league better than Rubio. Your hometown team has two pgs better than him. And the Wolves are OVER .500. If they were in the East, they'd probably be the 3 or 4 seed. I mentioned twice the Eastern conference part. The Wolves have one player who is top 5 at his position. One player who is top 10. One player who is top 20. And the rest of the team is complete scrubs.

I'm not saying Monroe is a bad player. But with Kobe raping 2/5's of our cap, we just can't afford to waste 12 million on a lunchbox guy. And what's the point in getting a lunchbox guy when half his contract length will be wasted with Kobe's two years. I'm with you that we need to be trying to get young players on cheap contracts to develop over the next couple seasons until we can finally get rid of the Kobe albatross.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:04 pm

^^A lot of 1 dimensional players on good to great teams. His one dimension is pretty important on a team with two good bigs as well.

I think Love is playing with a much better and balanced team than Monroe is. If I were going to build a team from scratch I'd take Monroe as my PF at 12 to 14 Million over Love at 20+ million. That will probably cause a crap-storm I know but I'm not that sold on Love personally and definitely not sold as the highest paid player on a team.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22954
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Rooscooter wrote:^^A lot of 1 dimensional players on good to great teams. His one dimension is pretty important on a team with two good bigs as well.

I think Love is playing with a much better and balanced team than Monroe is. If I were going to build a team from scratch I'd take Monroe as my PF at 12 to 14 Million over Love at 20+ million. That will probably cause a crap-storm I know but I'm not that sold on Love personally and definitely not sold as the highest paid player on a team.


I can't start a crap-storm because I'm the same dude who would rather we get Lowry for 8-10 then Irving. :man12: The thing is Love is still a few years away from hitting 20 million. He still on his first big extension and his second one would likely start in the 16 range. So now were talking 16 as opposed to 12-14. Makes things closer. I'm not as sold on the Wolves roster as you are, but regardless, the team is a weird team. All advanced metrics have them as a playoff team. They have just lost a ton of close games. They're a tough team to figure out.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby Rooscooter on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:21 pm

^^ I like Lowry as well. Irving has sizzle but I'm not sure when you clear the air of the hype.

I think Love is up for a max deal in a year..... That's around 18M isn't it? If we trade for him it's even more isn't it?
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22954
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: 2014 Cap Space Projections – Pacific Division

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 pm

Love has a 16.7M player option for 15-16.. I'm not sure what his salary would be or if it would stay the same if he opts out of it or receives an extension before then. Would definitely take him at 15.7 next season & 16.7 the following over Monroe at the 10-12M his contract will start at.. Love is only a few years older than Monroe & is the best PF in the league while Monroe hasn't shown anything to indicate that he will ever be more than the 3rd best player on a contender.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am


Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.