J.A. Adande: Payton Says He'd Fit in With Lakers

J.A. Adande: Payton Says He'd Fit in With Lakers

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:10 am

"If a team fits me, that I'm going to have a championship, then I'm going to work with it. But other than that, Milwaukee's still the first option. If they can get somebody in the draft, I'm waiting until after the draft to see what's happening."
"I could work with anything," Payton said. "That ain't nothing to me. Me and Phil will sit down and work and talk. I think I could do anything, to sacrifice anything and be right there. Everybody talking about there ain't enough balls and ain't enough shots [for Payton and Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant]. Remember the Warriors with [Run] TMC? They were all averaging 20. I think we'd all do the same thing.

"I'm not putting myself into that situation. It's gotta work. I'm going to look at everybody. If Milwaukee betters themselves, I'll be with it."

"People think I'm going to be doing this and that," Payton said. "A lot of stuff has gotta look right to me. I'm not just going to say I'm going to take $3 million, $4 million. I'm not at that level right now. I'm at my peak. I'm 34 years old, still playing, still putting up numbers. I don't think I can settle for less."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nbarep21jun21,1,2338502.column?coll=la-headlines-sports
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:09 pm

Too many mix signals from this article and the statement that Payton makes. At this point, I'm not sure what he actually wants. I know that he wants to win a title, but it looks like he doesn't want to settle playing for the mid level.

Starting July 1, it will be very interesting.
Last edited by Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:13 pm

Well Gary, you can want the money or want the ring... The choice is yours...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:54 pm

Yea there are too many mixed signals... But he doesnt wanna say n e thing yet, which we can respect him for.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:33 pm

But he just can't lead us on, because if we wait for a decision from him, we might miss out on the other Free Agents out there.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:31 pm

Payton is just talking [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]..... he is just using the Lakers as a leverage to get more money elsewhere. Why, would he add the last comments to his statements if he truly wanted to be a Laker. He knows we can only offer him the MLE why did he say that he wouldn't settle for 3 or 4 million a year. I think he is pulling a KENDAL GILL I hope I am wrong but I think he is pulling a GILL. We are going to end up with TERRY and RATLIFF.
Sorry we are not going to get MALONE either.... these guys just talk about getting rings but they don't walk the walk.

starting line up next year:

TERRY
KOBE
GEORGE
RATLIFF
SHAQ

bench:

FISHER
SLAVA
HANSEN or OUTLAW (rookie) one pick in draft other pick is traded
HORRY
T. HILL
PARGO

Injured Reserve:

FOX

not a scary line-up but will get the job done. I really doubt that these PAYTONS/MALONES will sign with LA. If they don't it just means I guess Payton/Malone will be watching the LAKERS on TV during JUNE when we get our 4th title!!!
#1_Kobe_fan

Return to Lakers Discussion