Starting a team: Bynum or Griffin?

Andrew Bynum
34%
Blake Griffin
65%

Total votes : 70

Re: Andrew Bynum vs Blake Griffin

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Blake Griffin given Andrew's history of injury. I know Blake had a knee injury last year, too, but it just doesn't seem to have slowed him down at all.

If Bynum had only had one knee incident I'd have a harder time making that choice. Personally I think 7 foot guys with great moves in the post are much rarer and more valuable than PF's with freakish athleticism but no polished game, moves or a lot of defense. That's just me though. Right now Blake is the flavor of the month, but he's got a long way to go in the development department. More so than Andrew. But Blake looks a heck of a lot more durable.

They might've added some bionic parts instead.

And he just might end up being the flavor ofthe decade if he stays healthy.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby TIME on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 pm

revgen wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Griffin has the more refined, polished game than Bynum

I don't see it. Blake's ballhandling is better than Drew's, and he's way more athletic, but other than that, no. Drew has better footwork in the post, better touch around the rim, and is way ahead of Blake when it comes to defense. Blake is a clone of Shawn Kemp until he can expand his skills.

Now as far as who I'd start a team with. Tough to say. Bynum brings more to the table than Blake, especially as a defensive anchor and a post-presence down low, but he's not been healthy in recent years. I'd give the edge to Blake until Drew can have at least 2 seasons of good health.

+1

IF you could promise me that Bynum could play a full season & playoffs injury free then I take him over Blake all day every day. Blake will never be the protector of the paint and low post threat that Andrew was/can be.

But the way things are now, I take Blake and put Pau at center. Blake is tough enough and strong enough to bang and board to take some pressure off of Pau. A 3 man big rotation of Pau / Blake / LO with Kobe is still gonna bring home the gold.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:49 pm

^Yep ALL things equal? I'd take Bynum as well. Inside out offense, tough interior defense...advantages of a center over a power forward.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

TIME wrote:But the way things are now, I take Blake and put Pau at center. Blake is tough enough and strong enough to bang and board to take some pressure off of Pau. A 3 man big rotation of Pau / Blake / LO with Kobe is still gonna bring home the gold.

I don't like the Perkins / Shaq matchup with Gasol. There size (weight) would just be too much. We need Gasol on KG where he has the advantage.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:59 pm

John3:16 wrote:
TIME wrote:But the way things are now, I take Blake and put Pau at center. Blake is tough enough and strong enough to bang and board to take some pressure off of Pau. A 3 man big rotation of Pau / Blake / LO with Kobe is still gonna bring home the gold.

I don't like the Perkins / Shaq matchup with Gasol. There size (weight) would just be too much. We need Gasol on KG where he has the advantage.

That is the one playoff matchup that would worry me. It would come down to coaching. On D, I'm not as worried since Perk is not a scorer and Shaq is not as effective as he was. On O, I would move Pau into the PF midrange spot and force Shaq to leave the paint. Put LO and Blake in the post. I might even play some with all three on the court with Blake in the SF role.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:02 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
Big Mamma Jamma wrote:LOL at those who voted for Bynum.I love Bynum but Griffin is a once in a generation type player. 20-10 guys are rare finds.

You are talking about a 7 footer who has a back to the basket game, anchors the paint, and averages 13-15ppg / 10rpg / 2bpg playing as a 3rd/4th option behind two of the most skilled players in the league (Kobe/Pau)?

Yes, given his history of injuries it's a no brainer. Mr. Griffin also STARTED his career off with a knee injury too.

I'll take big man all day.

The OP's post is asking the question about today who would you choose. I love Bynum and want him to succeed. However, his knee injuries, the one in high school, the two he's had while in the NBA doesn't bode well for longevity in the league. So, if I were to build a team and had to chose between Griffin and Bynum, it would have to be Griffin. IF Bynum didn't have the knee issues it would be a no-brainer in his favor.

The other thing about Griffin is that he may have crazy athleticism but he has the work ethic to improve his game. That's the difference I see between Griffin and (as one poster mentioned) Shawn Kemp.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:13 pm

I would trade Joe Smith, Theo Ratliff, Derrick Caracter, and Luke Walton for Blake Griffin. :man10:

Seriously, I don't know. I love Blake Griffin, but I also love Andrew Bynum. He's our starting center (when he's healthy), and we need him to be on the court if we want to beat the best teams. Blake's natural position is at the PF spot, and so is Pau's. If we had Blake but lost Drew, we would need to get a good C to replace him. I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents on the matter. Blake was also injured last season, so his health is also a concern, but of course not as much as Drew's is.
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:30 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
Big Mamma Jamma wrote:LOL at those who voted for Bynum.

Why? It's actually not as clear-cut as folks are making it out to be. Drew is a legit 7 foot center who can play very well on both ends of the floor and he's probably one of if not the most skilled center in the league outside of an aging Shaq and a broken Yao as far as fundamentals and footwork are concerned. He's also fairly athletic for his size despite the fact that we don't know how much his athleticism and explosiveness has been/will be permanently affected by his knee injuries as he continues to work towards being 100% again. His ONLY real downside is his injury history as it's still questionable as to whether he's a legitimate injury risk a la Oden, whether more injuries are to come in the near future as a result of his previous ones or whether he'll be in the clear for some time.

Griffin is about as unpolished as they come but the potential is definitely there. On top of that he's beyond freakishly athletic but even if he does develop a solid offensive arsenal you'd still need to put a decent center beside him which is much more tough to come by these days than the decent power forward you'd need to put around Drew. It's also worth noting that he's had a knee injury of his own in the form of a stress fracture in his left knee which he received upon landing from one of his air shows. Everyone is all smiles right now but I have to think (ESPECIALLY with the way he plays) that it's likely only a matter of time. Drew's style of play is nowhere near as high-risk as Griffin's.

Don't get me wrong, Blake is a great player, and my initial knee-jerk reaction due to Bynum's lengthier injury history is to go with the high-fly act, but the more I think about it, how many PFs are there in the league that can give you 20/10? Ok, now how many legitimate centers in the league can be your defensive anchor and do the same? Plus Griff's high-fly antics make him just as much of a risk if you ask me, even moreso given that he's already missed a year due to a hard landing during the preseason last year. Baseball fans all saw what happened when folks were talking about how they wished they could build around a kid like Strasburg last year.

As always great post. Haven't seen you around these parts in a while. Good to debate with you.

Anyway to respond to your post, I agree that Griffin's style of play makes him more prone to injuries. I think what distinguishes Griffin from say other talented, athletic freaks (Lebron, Howard) is that he is a gym rat. He wants to improve and has the potential to be a complete player. He needs good coaching, which I don't believe he'll get from the Clips so it may take him some time to develop fully. With that being said, I can see him becoming more polished and avoiding the high-flying act that currently defines his game. If he develops a jumper he would be unstoppable.

My choice between Bynum and Griffin was based on the OP's statement if I were to choose today, knowing everything that we know about both players. I love Bynum but it would be hard for me to choose him to build a team around, especially after 3 major knee injuries (one in high school, two in the NBA) and that fact that he can't get through a season without missing games. Unfortunately, it would be difficult to rely on Bynum for a whole season. This may change (and I sure hope it does) but as of right now, I couldn't choose him to build around. The other night against the Suns, I watched Bynum and every time he stumbled or jumped and landed awkwardly I caught myself holding my breath! Crazy, huh?! I just worry about that guy.

Guys like Bynum are rare and they seem to be a dying breed since there aren't many in the league and their numbers keep decreasing each year. I think Griffin, if he develops his game, could be incredible with an average center. Bynum is a luxury and provides distinct advantages against almost any team in the league. However, there is more than one way to skin a cat and a team doesn't necessarily have to have a dominant center, just a serviceable one (e.g., Perkins with the Smeltics) to pair with a great PF. Remember Karl Malone was raw and very athletic just like Griffin but he refined his game and became a dominant force. He also didn't have a dominant center to play along side. Griffin has the work ethic and the talent and that's why I would choose him.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:55 pm

If both are fully healthy and fully productive, it has to be Bynum. I'm sorry, but we're talking about an athletic seven footer with one of the most effective post games in the league. Griffin has explosion, no question. But he's got almost no other game. It works for him, I love his game, but if they're both at their best, Bynum is easily picked ahead of him.

As it is now, Griffin is my choice. And for those using health as the one and only barometer, remember Griffin missed his entire first season on a freak knee injury while jumping. Right now, he can do more on the floor. He can rebound easier, he can score easier. He's not a great defender by any means, but his explosion is there making it easier for him to do things on the floor.

Like revgen said, give Bynum a season or two and maybe this question wont seem so easy to some.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 10scott10 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Big Mamma Jamma wrote:I would take Griffin easily especially because of Bynum's history of knee injuries. In my opinion Griffin, with good coaching, can be the best player in the league in a couple of seasons. He's that good. He just needs to add a consistent jumper (similar to Amare's) and he will be completely unstoppable!!

I keep editing this but one other thing ... he has Lebron type athleticism but is the anti-Lebron in the sense that he has a work ethic and is somewhat of a gym rat. His game will evolve and he'll be the best in the league in 2 seasons. That's my prediction.

I will say that you can't really use health as a positive in this argument as Blake did just miss his entire rookie year.

But yes, I would still take Blake. While he mainly is known for his amazing athleticism, he has shown a lot of more skilled moves out there. Of course a dunk is higher percentage than a jumper, but it looks like he could easily become comfortable with his skill moves.
10scott10

Postby karacha on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:40 pm

For this Laker team, I'd take Bynum. But if I was actually starting a team and I had to pick one -- I'd pick Griffin, easily.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:13 pm

Big Mamma Jamma wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:
Big Mamma Jamma wrote:LOL at those who voted for Bynum.

Why? It's actually not as clear-cut as folks are making it out to be. Drew is a legit 7 foot center who can play very well on both ends of the floor and he's probably one of if not the most skilled center in the league outside of an aging Shaq and a broken Yao as far as fundamentals and footwork are concerned. He's also fairly athletic for his size despite the fact that we don't know how much his athleticism and explosiveness has been/will be permanently affected by his knee injuries as he continues to work towards being 100% again. His ONLY real downside is his injury history as it's still questionable as to whether he's a legitimate injury risk a la Oden, whether more injuries are to come in the near future as a result of his previous ones or whether he'll be in the clear for some time.

Griffin is about as unpolished as they come but the potential is definitely there. On top of that he's beyond freakishly athletic but even if he does develop a solid offensive arsenal you'd still need to put a decent center beside him which is much more tough to come by these days than the decent power forward you'd need to put around Drew. It's also worth noting that he's had a knee injury of his own in the form of a stress fracture in his left knee which he received upon landing from one of his air shows. Everyone is all smiles right now but I have to think (ESPECIALLY with the way he plays) that it's likely only a matter of time. Drew's style of play is nowhere near as high-risk as Griffin's.

Don't get me wrong, Blake is a great player, and my initial knee-jerk reaction due to Bynum's lengthier injury history is to go with the high-fly act, but the more I think about it, how many PFs are there in the league that can give you 20/10? Ok, now how many legitimate centers in the league can be your defensive anchor and do the same? Plus Griff's high-fly antics make him just as much of a risk if you ask me, even moreso given that he's already missed a year due to a hard landing during the preseason last year. Baseball fans all saw what happened when folks were talking about how they wished they could build around a kid like Strasburg last year.

As always great post. Haven't seen you around these parts in a while. Good to debate with you.

Anyway to respond to your post, I agree that Griffin's style of play makes him more prone to injuries. I think what distinguishes Griffin from say other talented, athletic freaks (Lebron, Howard) is that he is a gym rat. He wants to improve and has the potential to be a complete player. He needs good coaching, which I don't believe he'll get from the Clips so it may take him some time to develop fully. With that being said, I can see him becoming more polished and avoiding the high-flying act that currently defines his game. If he develops a jumper he would be unstoppable.

My choice between Bynum and Griffin was based on the OP's statement if I were to choose today, knowing everything that we know about both players. I love Bynum but it would be hard for me to choose him to build a team around, especially after 3 major knee injuries (one in high school, two in the NBA) and that fact that he can't get through a season without missing games. Unfortunately, it would be difficult to rely on Bynum for a whole season. This may change (and I sure hope it does) but as of right now, I couldn't choose him to build around. The other night against the Suns, I watched Bynum and every time he stumbled or jumped and landed awkwardly I caught myself holding my breath! Crazy, huh?! I just worry about that guy.

Guys like Bynum are rare and they seem to be a dying breed since there aren't many in the league and their numbers keep decreasing each year. I think Griffin, if he develops his game, could be incredible with an average center. Bynum is a luxury and provides distinct advantages against almost any team in the league. However, there is more than one way to skin a cat and a team doesn't necessarily have to have a dominant center, just a serviceable one (e.g., Perkins with the Smeltics) to pair with a great PF. Remember Karl Malone was raw and very athletic just like Griffin but he refined his game and became a dominant force. He also didn't have a dominant center to play along side. Griffin has the work ethic and the talent and that's why I would choose him.

Agreed. I just think it's a really tough decision. I think straight up, Bynum gives you much more of a mismatch at the 5 against more teams than Griffin will ever give you at the 4 given the number ot productive PF's in the league in comparison to productive true centers. That is to say I think a well-built team around Bynum has a greater chance at succeeding come postseason than a well-built team around Griffin. What further clouds it for me is Blake's injury from last year. Drew's injuries only really started to worry me last year because it was the first time he got hurt without some sort of spontaneous outside factor being the root cause of it all. Prior to last year his injuries were always the result of some freak incident (LO's foot in '08 or Kobe's head in '09) but last season he just simply "got hurt". The same can be said about Griffin who simply went up hard and came down hard during the preseason last year. His injury to me seemed much more "Greg Oden-esque" in how his freakish physical abilities simply lead to him exerting too much force on his body parts, not to mention the way that he plays with reckless abandon is just scary to me. Both he and JaVale McGee are walking disasters waiting to happen. Actually they're more like flying disasters. lol.

There's also the "WOW" factor to consider in terms of building a team though. If you're a struggling franchise, putting butts in seats is often priority number one on the way to becoming a playoff squad and hopefully a backdoor championship contender to compete with the likes of the big dogs. Blake Griffin will seriously help to attract fans and it's something that a person put in a position to pick between the two would also have to consider. The question in and of itself is just very vague and broad and I'd probably need to know much more about the situation my team were in before I could say definitively who I'd go with.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:35 pm

I'd take Drew if he didn't have the health issues and if he played every night the way he plays when he's in top form - but that's a fantasy scenario, I guess...
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby halekulani on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:05 pm

griffin no question
halekulani

Postby odom1year on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:05 pm

If Blake is a Lakers now, I will ask Kobe passing the torch to him immediately.
odom1year

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:44 am

I think the real question now is WHEN will Blake become a Laker? :man10: Because you know Mr. Buss is looking for another mega star to replace Kobe when he retires and Blake is about as fan friendly as you can get. I know Buss is going to try his best to get this monster.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Juronimo on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:47 am

Blake Griffin and it's not even close. It's like comparing a franchise player to a role player. Blake Griffin is rapidly becoming a franchise player and bonafide superstar.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:15 am

Juronimo wrote:Blake Griffin and it's not even close. It's like comparing a franchise player to a role player. Blake Griffin is rapidly becoming a franchise player and bonafide superstar.

...because he is the number 1 option on his team.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby nameant on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 am

Assuming both would stay healthy? Bynum. We've seen what Bynum can do, his main problem has been health. You guys act like Bynum couldn't average 20-10 on a terrible team. I'll take the 7 foot plus big man any day. He's a game changer on both ends and can anchor your D. True centers/big men like Bynum are few and far between. I saw Griffin STEP BEHIND the 3 point line and take a 3 against us....haha.

Another thing, those of you calling Bynum out for his injuries....do you not realize Griffin missed his entire rookie season with an injury? This guy could be injury prone as well, we don't know yet. Sh** happens and it can happen at any time.
nameant

Postby Congo Cash on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:38 am

Can Griffin play center? No, enough said...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Nikez on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 am

This is the worst time to ask this when everybody is high on the griffin koolaid and we haven't seen him in a bad slump yet.

People forget if not for those knee injuries bynum probably would have been doing things as beastly as blake right now. He did have 42 against blakes team last year, although blake didnt play.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby trodgers on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:53 am

Speaking of injury issues...remember that Griffin missed an entire season? Is it just because you (people) view it as a "fluke" injury?
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 am

trodgers wrote:Speaking of injury issues...remember that Griffin missed an entire season? Is it just because you (people) view it as a "fluke" injury?

Yeah, he didn't land on anyone awkwardly or have someone barrel into it. It doesn't count.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby GNC on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:58 am

trodgers wrote:Speaking of injury issues...remember that Griffin missed an entire season? Is it just because you (people) view it as a "fluke" injury?

I think its the fact that it is one injury that cost Griffin the season. When Bynum has now had a histroy of injuries which has cost him time dating back awhile now (some one mentioned HS, I am not sure if that is accurate or not).
GNC

Postby LOAllStar2011 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Big Mamma Jamma wrote:LOL at those who voted for Bynum.I love Bynum but Griffin is a once in a generation type player. 20-10 guys are rare finds.

What's wrong with taking Bynum? Sure Griffin is putting up better numbers, but he's the #1 option on a bad team, Bynum would put up similar numbers on the Clippers. If both players are healthy you can't go wrong with either, but for this team I'll take Bynum. I think your overrating Blake Griffin, he's putting up 20 & 10 yeah but on a bad team. Al Jefferson was putting up 20 & 10 on a terrible Minnesota team is he a once in a generation player too? Yeah Griffin had a great game yesterday but he did it against a mediocre Pacers team, we've seen Bynum go off for 40 today against the Clippers in 2009.
LOAllStar2011

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion