Another GM already crying about Dante Exum

Re: Another GM already crying about Dante Exum

Postby angrypuppy on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:06 am

LTLakerFan wrote:Where are you getting this lack of athleticism from? I thought that had been debunked solidly in the Tank talk / Who do you want to draft thread?

Exum lacks the hops that you'd expect from a guard drafted in high lotto. It'll be a challenge to both Exum and his trainer to keep his hops as he fills out his frame. Yes he'll gain leg strength with additional training, but that will likely compensate for the additional weight on his frame. I do like him, but there are legit questions as to both his eventual position and ceiling, which are interrelated.

I haven't posted in the draft thread. To me, Embiid is hands down the obvious first pick, and Wiggins is the second, though he could become the next Rudy Gay. After that, it is a wide open game between Exum, Parker and Randle, at least until I get a better feel for the latter two (and perhaps others) during tournament play.
angrypuppy

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 am

Exum is one of the more gifted athletes in the draft. Just because he doesn't have a great vertical (his vertical is actually fine), doesn't mean he's not athletic. There's many different facets of athleticism.

Tony Parker is incredibly athletic due to his quick feet and deft hand-eye-coordination. He's a PG that doesn't have a great vertical leap either, but is still a premier PG in this league.

Exum could follow that mold. He could also be a bust, it's hard to say. But to say he's not athletic is false.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:35 am

I'm not going to make this comparison, but Magic comes to mind for "big PG's". Magic wasn't Jordan dunking on people. He wasn't Dr. J skying around you.

He was, however, deceptively quick for his size. Which Exum will prove to be. Magic wasn't particular known for his great shooting, but he was superb around the rim. Something Exum is also pretty good at.

Even if he does play at PG, there's nothing wrong with pairing him with a SG type PG like say Gordon or Westbrook. Most athletic defenders at SG like to play offensive minded players and body them up. I think Exum may have an advantage just dribbling around these guys because they're expecting a shot and not a pass.

He's still a mystery, but he is intriguing. He already declared for the draft, how does threatening to sign with a foreign team play out? Can he still back out after the draft positions are set?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:37 am

therealdeal wrote:Exum is one of the more gifted athletes in the draft. Just because he doesn't have a great vertical (his vertical is actually fine), doesn't mean he's not athletic. There's many different facets of athleticism.

Tony Parker is incredibly athletic due to his quick feet and deft hand-eye-coordination. He's a PG that doesn't have a great vertical leap either, but is still a premier PG in this league.

Exum could follow that mold. He could also be a bust, it's hard to say. But to say he's not athletic is false.

Exactly. His athletic ability is one of the MAIN reasons he is even viewed as a top pick. Vertical leap is not a gigantic part of a pgs game. Can he dunk the ball? Obviously, yes. Tony Parker, Gary Payton, Derek Fisher, Nick Van Exel, Steve Nash (just a side note, why were most of these guys on the Lakers at some point?)...all pgs who could BARELY dunk the ball (actually some couldn't) and still had very successful careers. Heck, Chris Paul rarely dunks. First step, lateral movement, how fast can he spin, hand speed...these are the most important athletic traits in a pg.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:41 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Exum is one of the more gifted athletes in the draft. Just because he doesn't have a great vertical (his vertical is actually fine), doesn't mean he's not athletic. There's many different facets of athleticism.

Exactly. His athletic ability is one of the MAIN reasons he is even viewed as a top pick. Vertical leap is not a gigantic part of a pgs game. Can he dunk the ball? Obviously, yes. Tony Parker, Gary Payton, Derek Fisher, Nick Van Exel, Steve Nash (just a side note, why were most of these guys on the Lakers at some point?)...all pgs who could BARELY dunk the ball (actually some couldn't) and still had very successful careers. Heck, Chris Paul rarely dunks. First step, lateral movement, how fast can he spin, hand speed...these are the most important athletic traits in a pg.

And he ranks highly in all of those categories physically, so I think physicallyhe'll be fine. It's about whether or not his game holds up against stronger competition and that's a very legitimate concern.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:45 am

Barnstable wrote:
Daikatana wrote:
Would be nice to see Pop, Grease face and Cubes go ballistic.

Such a fangasmic thought... :jam2:

I'm just hoping that Kobe is doing a bunch of wooing right now on Sexum Exum, and possibly using that 24 million for good use to his agent... :bow:

If that were true, I'd forgive Kobe's contract :man10: :man10: :man10:

Sexum!! :man10: :bow: :jam2:

Best nickname ever lol!!

Just think. If we sign Love in 2015, The Lakers will be Sexum-Love. Just need to sign Rudy Gay for the Minimum...Gay-Sexum-Love.
Savory Griddles

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:55 am

If you haven't checked out his scouting report... It's pretty nice...

LakerFanIam

Postby angrypuppy on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:57 am

I don't see anything in Exum that screams Magic Johnson, but that's being unfair to Exum. Magic was a very rare talent; they broke the mold. Exum looks fine around the rim, but he wasn't playing against NBA level players who are far more physical. The question in everyone's mind is whether he can absorb the contact and still score, even after he picks up more strength.

And of course is he really a PG or a SG? He plays smart, but does that translate into running an offense, seeing the entire floor, making good decisions that translate into good passes? If he can do those things, great, but as far as I am concerned the jury is out. If he's a SG without a consistent shot and limited leaping ability, then he won't likely make much of an impact.
angrypuppy

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:07 am

Wait who has compared him to Magic?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:15 am

angrypuppy wrote:
And of course is he really a PG or a SG? He plays smart, but does that translate into running an offense, seeing the entire floor, making good decisions that translate into good passes? If he can do those things, great, but as far as I am concerned the jury is out. If he's a SG without a consistent shot and limited leaping ability, then he won't likely make much of an impact.

Yeah... That's really my biggest concern with him as well... However, I do think that Kobe is an ideal mentor for this type of player...
LakerFanIam

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19 am

therealdeal wrote:Wait who has compared him to Magic?

I sort of did about being a bigger PG, with not the vertical athleticism, and not having the best shot.

But that it's. Nothing to the degree of Magic's skills of course. I did say "I didn't want to make the comparison"
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:25 am

KB24 wrote:A 6'6'' PG...how many of those have we seen that have been very successful in the last 10-15 years?

He is in danger of becoming a SG with some handling capabilities...I have an 18/4/4 player in mind. Look at other tall PGs...all have been converted to SGs or even SFs...Tyreke Evans comes to mind, Jamal Crawford comes to mind, Rodney Stuckey comes to mind...all converts after failing to be able to contain PGs and actually play like a real PG. Even a guy like Brandon Roy came in as a PG and ended up as a SG/SF. None of these tall guys remains a successful PG. And to be honest, a great PG is worth a lot more than a very good SG with ball handling and passing skills unless that SG turns into a Kobe/MJ caliber player.

Another guy who failed was Linvingston. Even before his freak injury that ruined his career, he didn't have amazing success as PG even though he did have great passing ability.

Also Exum has never played in the US so coming from another continent always has a risk element to it.

dude you're such a buzzkill
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Wait who has compared him to Magic?

I sort of did about being a bigger PG, with not the vertical athleticism, and not having the best shot.

But that it's. Nothing to the degree of Magic's skills of course. I did say "I didn't want to make the comparison"

Well he's still a few inches shorter and Magic didn't have a terrible vertical.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby West's Formula 44 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:39 pm

I like the way he pushes the ball up the court and his crossover dribble is awesome. That jumper is butt ugly though.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:50 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
KB24 wrote:A 6'6'' PG...how many of those have we seen that have been very successful in the last 10-15 years?

He is in danger of becoming a SG with some handling capabilities...I have an 18/4/4 player in mind. Look at other tall PGs...all have been converted to SGs or even SFs...Tyreke Evans comes to mind, Jamal Crawford comes to mind, Rodney Stuckey comes to mind...all converts after failing to be able to contain PGs and actually play like a real PG. Even a guy like Brandon Roy came in as a PG and ended up as a SG/SF. None of these tall guys remains a successful PG. And to be honest, a great PG is worth a lot more than a very good SG with ball handling and passing skills unless that SG turns into a Kobe/MJ caliber player.

Another guy who failed was Linvingston. Even before his freak injury that ruined his career, he didn't have amazing success as PG even though he did have great passing ability.

Also Exum has never played in the US so coming from another continent always has a risk element to it.

dude you're such a buzzkill

:man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:53 pm

I was reading somewhere while searching for Youtube clips of him, that his 1st step was pretty elite. They were comparing it to Rose's 1st step. Whatever that guy's opinion was worth…… I know. :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby last stand on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:01 pm

He's gonna be a ball dominant SG a la Kobe, wade, hardaway, Jordan

No I wasn't comparing him
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:19 pm

There is almost no doubt in my mind that he will play SG in the NBA.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:31 pm

let's say we get the #2 pick

assuming embiid goes #1, would you guys rather have wiggins, parker, exum, or randle? those 4 and embiid are clearly the top 5 players in the draft
432J

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:41 pm

smart and randle are interchangable, depending on a teams needs.

personally, i'd go with parker. he's shown the most out of the top 3 prospects so far to be NBA ready offensively. it'd be like we got melo on a rookie contract. the lakers would probably take Wiggins on potential and his hype. hype for marketability. although he hasn't really shown his personality yet, a quiet reserved kid, he falls under the Kevin Durant all-business on the court type personality, his name is just so well known out there.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:02 pm

432J wrote:let's say we get the #2 pick

assuming embiid goes #1, would you guys rather have wiggins, parker, exum, or randle? those 4 and embiid are clearly the top 5 players in the draft

That's tough, I think you can throw Smart in there too... I honestly believe all of these guys are even as far as being potential all-stars or potential busts... None of them, including Embiid are a sure thing, but they're all really good prospects...
Last edited by LakerFanIam on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LakerFanIam

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Fran Fraschilla, one of the few analysts to watch Exum, had a few things to say about him on ESPN 710 this afternoon.

1. He compared him to a young Michael Jordan entering college at UNC.
2. He said he's one of the two players that has the potential to be a franchise changing player (the other is Embiid)
3. He said he's probably a project, especially at first, because he's simply so young and thin.

On another note-
4. He said Wiggins is his 4th pick. (1. Embiid 2. Parker 3. Exum)
5. Parker could very well be a defensive liability when he gets to the NBA.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Agree with most of what he said. Exum looks and moves like Kobe and Michael, his body type and athleticism lend him to that comparison

I can see why he thinks wiggins is 4th. Wiggins passivity lack of aggression have made him slip despite his superior gifts

He has the best gifts in the draft but it'll be tough for scouts to gauge whether his lack of production is the offensive system or his mentality.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:59 pm

What I like about Exum the most is his lateral quickness... Dude is straight up lightening fast moving side to side... That goes a long way in the NBA. Check the 8:45 mark of his draft preview above...

Oh, & while you're at it.. Don't miss the two moves highlighting his cross over at 6:00-6:20... : )
LakerFanIam

Postby LakerJack on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:16 pm

The kid is another Rubio. Three year project. Embiid, Wiggins and Parker are the clear top three impact players.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
LakerJack

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion