Another GM already crying about Dante Exum

Re: Another GM already crying about Dante Exum

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:30 pm

KB24 wrote:A 6'6'' PG...how many of those have we seen that have been very successful in the last 10-15 years?

He is in danger of becoming a SG with some handling capabilities...I have an 18/4/4 player in mind. Look at other tall PGs...all have been converted to SGs or even SFs...Tyreke Evans comes to mind, Jamal Crawford comes to mind, Rodney Stuckey comes to mind...all converts after failing to be able to contain PGs and actually play like a real PG. Even a guy like Brandon Roy came in as a PG and ended up as a SG/SF. None of these tall guys remains a successful PG. And to be honest, a great PG is worth a lot more than a very good SG with ball handling and passing skills unless that SG turns into a Kobe/MJ caliber player.

Another guy who failed was Linvingston. Even before his freak injury that ruined his career, he didn't have amazing success as PG even though he did have great passing ability.

Also Exum has never played in the US so coming from another continent always has a risk element to it.

The Tyreke Evans part doesn't put me off like it probably should.. I for one would be extremely happy with the pick if he had a rookie season like Tyreke.. With the difference of course being that he has Kobe there to mentor & guide him on how to take his game to the next level & continue improving constantly. If Tyreke consistently improved since he was a rookie he'd be a top 10 player in the league by now.
LakersN4

Postby KB24 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:08 am

For me a great point guard can do the following in this order

1. Has speed and handles to break down defenses constantly
2. Is pass first but can mix it up with consistent scoring around the rim.
3. Has a good range and can shoot off the dribble

These days defense and size is an extra since most pgs are impossible to stop. Exum is neither great at consistently breaking down defenses nore can he shoot that well from distance. Also his post ups will be useless because he can't pass to himself.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Consistently breaking down defenses is something he's known for. They say he can create a shot for himself nicely and get to the rim when he wants to.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:43 pm

In this day and age, when most PG's simply can't defend other PG's, it's better to have tall guards who can switch with either the SG, the SF, or both.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby LooN3y on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:31 pm

KB24 wrote:A 6'6'' PG...how many of those have we seen that have been very successful in the last 10-15 years?

He is in danger of becoming a SG with some handling capabilities...I have an 18/4/4 player in mind. Look at other tall PGs...all have been converted to SGs or even SFs...Tyreke Evans comes to mind, Jamal Crawford comes to mind, Rodney Stuckey comes to mind...all converts after failing to be able to contain PGs and actually play like a real PG. Even a guy like Brandon Roy came in as a PG and ended up as a SG/SF. None of these tall guys remains a successful PG. And to be honest, a great PG is worth a lot more than a very good SG with ball handling and passing skills unless that SG turns into a Kobe/MJ caliber player.

Another guy who failed was Linvingston. Even before his freak injury that ruined his career, he didn't have amazing success as PG even though he did have great passing ability.

Also Exum has never played in the US so coming from another continent always has a risk element to it.

I dont think evans really played the 1 in highschool and college. he mainly played the 2 and he was known to chuck and make a lot of shots (which is ironic to his NBA play)

just an FYI, sorry i had to haha.

but i do agree, big point guards havent been successful in a long time, lets hope MCW shows us different.
LooN3y

Postby West's Formula 44 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:31 pm

therealdeal wrote:Consistently breaking down defenses is something he's known for. They say he can create a shot for himself nicely and get to the rim when he wants to.

Did you watch that video from about 10:24 to 12:02? He's throwing up frozen ropes. Line drives. I'm not sure how he can correct that flaw this late in the game. Hopefully he can. It would seem like a huge gamble that he can though.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:26 pm

I'm not really too keen on Exum... I'd rather gamble on Wiggins if the choice goes down between them. My dream is Embiid all the way :man10: but that's my big men bias talking
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:37 pm

This will be an interesting draft, definitely. Whoevere picks first won't have it easy. 4th, 5th and 6th picks will probably have it easier, in a way.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:28 am

^^^Correct, the pressure is high, picking first that's why the disastrous picks in recent past. There is no sure thing that's why picking 3rd seem to be more productive as borne by history.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:34 am

West's Formula 44 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Consistently breaking down defenses is something he's known for. They say he can create a shot for himself nicely and get to the rim when he wants to.

Did you watch that video from about 10:24 to 12:02? He's throwing up frozen ropes. Line drives. I'm not sure how he can correct that flaw this late in the game. Hopefully he can. It would seem like a huge gamble that he can though.

Perfecting your shot is the easiest thing to do in basketball.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:40 am

I have not seen him play, but I watched the Nike Hoops Summit game, and I heard the Fran Frachilla interview on Mason and Ireland. I want the Lakers to get this kid so badly....UNLESSS Embiid or Wiggins is on the board. I would take Wiggins over Exum, but would take Exum over Parker if I had the option.

Now can we please get Joel Embiid to sign with Rob Pelinka as well, and tell everyone he's also only signing with the Lakers!!! :man10:

I would love to see Dan Gilberts face if we walked out of the draft with Exum and Embiid :man10:
LAKEROC

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:20 am

Embiid fell on his hip last night and grimaced and then walked off later with a limp. He's injury prone.

:man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby West's Formula 44 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:Perfecting your shot is the easiest thing to do in basketball.

I dunno. The Timberwolves are still waiting on Ricky Rubio to correct that flaw.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:59 pm

West's Formula 44 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Perfecting your shot is the easiest thing to do in basketball.

I dunno. The Timberwolves are still waiting on Ricky Rubio to correct that flaw.

Rajon Rondo says hello too.
Savory Griddles

Postby last stand on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:03 pm

West's Formula 44 wrote:

He's 18 not 28 lol

But it's all about willingness. Kobe, Jordan and Lebron had off shots, Kobe much less so and they fixed it. It's about be willing to stay in the gym those extra hours
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:08 pm

And what Jason Kidd say? Magic Johnson? Michael Jordan?

Not to mention Rondo has improved his shooting this season.

Shooting is absolutely the easiest thing to improve over time. Easier than learning to pass, learning to dribble, learning schemes. Shooting just takes time, effort, and practice.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:22 pm

so is there a way exum could skip the draft altogether and just sign as a FA with the lakers?

i can't think of any reason why not but then again, i'm sure players in the past would have done that if it was allowed

just imagine getting wiggins or parker AND exum
:man4:
432J

Postby West's Formula 44 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Okay, I wanted a game tape to look at. Not a drill. During game conditions you would be mostly likely to revert to what you've always done before.

His shot isn't flat here. It has a nice arch to it. Maybe in the first tape a point was trying to be made, and in so doing, they only showed that flat shot clanging off the rim. He looks good here.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:58 pm

His shot form looks pretty good to me, but like the scouting video says, he often shoots on the way down. I think if he corrects that, which isn't hard, a lot of those shots coming up short in the video start to go in. His shot isn't ugly at all, just things need to be tweaked, I think how he holds the ball and how he releases looks pretty good.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:29 pm

432J wrote:so is there a way exum could skip the draft altogether and just sign as a FA with the lakers?

i can't think of any reason why not but then again, i'm sure players in the past would have done that if it was allowed

just imagine getting wiggins or parker AND exum
:man4:

International players have until June 18th to pull out of the draft.. Couldn't find any info on them still being eligible to sign with a team that season.. As a near lock to be a top 5 pick, Exum would be risking leaving a ton of money on the table, unless he had some wink wink deal with Mitch or Jim that we'd give him the MLE after we spend our cap space on free agents.
LakersN4

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Rondo is probably a better shooter now than he was when he entered the league. He was on a very awesome team that was able to disguise his shortcomings. Way harder to do that now.

Rubio is shooting career high in FG, 3pt, and eFG%
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Seems Penny Hardaway would be the logical comparison. He did very well until injuries derailed him. Question is always about the defensive side of the ball. Kobe has run the offensive in the past two years he just can't really guard PG consistently anymore he doesn't have the lateral quickness.
cthroatgtr

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion