Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison Discussion: Bench 4!

Postby khmrP on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:27 pm

mwp should start, enough with the experiments with Meeks/Morris starting, they both just get owned by whoever they are guarding.
khmrP

Postby Center Court on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:48 pm

khmrP wrote:mwp should start, enough with the experiments with Meeks/Morris starting, they both just get owned by whoever they are guarding.

Plus it takes away from our bench. I'll give MDA the benefit of the doubt because he didn't have a training camp to work with this roster, but I have a feeling he may just leave things the way they are for a little while.

What is ironic is that as soon as he arrived, Jamison was playing like an all star at best and 6th man at worst. Not sure why you'd want to lose that just to start Meeks or Morris and put Metta at the 3.

Howard (36)// Hill (10)
Pau (30)// Jamison (18)
MWP (34)// Kobe (10)// Jamison (4)
Kobe (24)// Meeks (24)
Nash (32)// Back up dejour (16)
Center Court

Postby StudentOfTheGame on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:31 am

I'm really not a fan of the way Jamison plays defense. He's always had the rep as a poor defender, but he really was downright awful prior to his benching.

Personally, I think it's a good move right now. Can't have that kind of defense being played when the team is trying to climb out of a hole. It's allowed some more minutes for Hill, so that's good too. It sucks to see a guy get phased out, but the team is improving and winning. Time to solidify a rotation and go with it.
StudentOfTheGame

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 am

StudentOfTheGame wrote:I'm really not a fan of the way Jamison plays defense. He's always had the rep as a poor defender, but he really was downright awful prior to his benching.

Personally, I think it's a good move right now. Can't have that kind of defense being played when the team is trying to climb out of a hole. It's allowed some more minutes for Hill, so that's good too. It sucks to see a guy get phased out, but the team is improving and winning. Time to solidify a rotation and go with it.

Agreed.

He'll start to come back into the rotation in a little bit I think. Ron off the bench is totally cool, but I'd prefer him playing a little less and using Jamison as the backup 3. I think that'll happen eventually, but MDA is still playing with the roster.

Props to this guy for being a professional though. He's always cheering on the bench and that's good to see.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:43 pm

It's sometimes hard for me to notice Jamison's defensive lapses. Not everyone is going to be able to stay in front of their man every play. But we got teammates.

But if that's the reason we benched him, fine. Otherwise, dude is potent offensively. He should be coming off the bench lighting other teams up and making them go "WTF?".

Thought of a few times Jamison could've nailed some treys and helped yesterday vs NYN when our offense was lacking.

My bottom line: If D'Antoni can't figure out a way to use Jamison effectively & advantageously (albeit minimally), it's on him as a coach.
Chillbongo

Postby scissors on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Hopefully Jamison gets some minutes tonight since we are on a back to back.
scissors

Postby 432J on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:06 pm

scissors wrote:Hopefully Jamison gets some minutes tonight since we are on a back to back.

hopefully he starts getting minutes period
432J

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:09 pm

id like to see him tonight too. guys are gunna need more rest bc its a b2b and the altitude. hopefully for Pau since we all know hes gunna be spent. Hill for Dwight.

we can hope.
Ariza3

Postby LooN3y on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:09 am

so is MDA going to give us ANY explanation why hes not playing him?

is it because there isnt any minutes to go around?

i do damn hope we can start blowing out teams so the kobe, nash, gasol, and ron ron can get some damn rest

also, do you think hes going to the HOF?
LooN3y

Postby kenzo on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Play him NOW. He can't be any worse than Meeks (shooting wise).
kenzo

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:19 pm

kenzo wrote:Play him NOW.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby borri on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Tawn is probably really regretting not going to CHA for more money. Here, we suck AND he gets zero PT.
borri

Postby revgen on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:05 pm

We scored 114 points last night. We gave up 126 points.

If somebody can explain to me how Antawn is going to improve our defense, I'm all ears.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby easyguy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:07 pm

I think we as fans are just having a knee jerk reaction to last night lose. No one can bring us a win yesterday, they were scoring at will last night.
easyguy

Postby dj vitus on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:19 pm

revgen wrote:We scored 114 points last night. We gave up 126 points.

If somebody can explain to me how Antawn is going to improve our defense, I'm all ears.

If MDA decided to go with Jamison instead of Metta and Meeks, maybe he would have made more shots than them? I dunno.

Hard to defend Denver; we just don't match up well. Only chance is to outscore them like we did last time.

I find it odd that MDA continued to bench him even with Pau getting punked and Dwight getting ejected. I know he sucked the last couple of games he played, but put him in with Nash and see what happens.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Helljumper on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:20 pm

He needs more of Pau's minutes. He's quicker than Pau, and to be honest, despite his flaws, I've seen more consistent effort on defense from Jamison. He'll tire out his defender more because they will actually have to chase him off the ball. He'll space the floor more for Dwight, allowing him more room to operate in the post. That would hopefully improve Dwight's effectiveness and allow him to get more touches since it's easier to feed the post when Pau's defender isn't also in the area. Having Dwight be more involved/more effective on offense should get him more mentally engaged on defense. He also doesn't fumble the ball and turn it over as much as Pau, which could limit transition buckets.
Helljumper

Postby revgen on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 pm

dj vitus wrote:

If MDA decided to go with Jamison instead of Metta and Meeks, maybe he would have made more shots than them? I dunno.

Hard to defend Denver; we just don't match up well. Only chance is to outscore them like we did last time.

I find it odd that MDA continued to bench him even with Pau getting punked and Dwight getting ejected. I know he sucked the last couple of games he played, but put him in with Nash and see what happens.

1) I think this is a "grasping at straws" argument at best. When a team scores 126 points, you need to play defense. Not score 130 points.

2) Denver is not scoring like they were in previous seasons. We were outhustled. Plain and simple.

3) Jamison is too slow to guard 3's, and he's not physical enough to guard 4's. And he certainly can't play C. He only offers us offense when offense isn't our problem right now.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Helljumper wrote:

He needs more of Pau's minutes. He's quicker than Pau, and to be honest, despite his flaws, I've seen more consistent effort on defense from Jamison. He'll tire out his defender more because they will actually have to chase him off the ball. He'll space the floor more for Dwight, allowing him more room to operate in the post. That would hopefully improve Dwight's effectiveness and allow him to get more touches since it's easier to feed the post when Pau's defender isn't also in the area. Having Dwight be more involved/more effective on offense should get him more mentally engaged on defense. He also doesn't fumble the ball and turn it over as much as Pau, which could limit transition buckets.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Antawn's defense hasn't been that impressive. He lacks the footspeed to guard 3's and he's not physical enough to guard 4's. I don't see how he would have helped us on that end of the floor. If you though Faried was killing Pau, it would have been worse with Antawn on the floor. Pau at least has a height advantage.

Metta and Meeks have done a good job spacing the floor for D12. They had an off-night last night and we still scored 114 points. Offense isn't the problem, and bringing Jamison in doesn't solve our real issues.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Scnottaken on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:32 pm

revgen wrote:
dj vitus wrote:

1) I think this is a "grasping at straws" argument at best. When a team scores 126 points, you need to play defense. Not score 130 points.

2) Denver is not a high scoring team this season. We were outhustled. Plain and simple.

3) Jamison is too slow to guard 3's, and he's not physical enough to guard 4's. And he certainly can't play C. He only offers us offense when offense isn't our problem right now.

Thing is, playing Jamison one game isn't going to help our team. Giving him consistent minutes, thus using our starters less minutes probably would have helped with the energy.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby dj vitus on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:33 pm

In a traditional sense, Jamison obviously isn't a great defender. But in terms of hustle and energy, he dives for loose balls, tips rebounds our way (if only the other 4 of us could grab them), and tries to gain us as many possessions as possible. Sometimes he's all over the place making things happen, and I like that a lot from him.

Hill has been playing great, but he still commits boneheaded and-1 fouls and forgets to rotate on defense. Has all the tools to be really good, but not the highest IQ.

Now that Meeks has 3 cold games in a row, I wonder if MDA will shuffle the rotation again and see if Jamison can get a crack against Portland.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dj vitus on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:48 pm

revgen wrote:
dj vitus wrote:

2) Denver is not scoring like they were in previous seasons. We were outhustled. Plain and simple.

Well, scoring 130 would have won us the game, right? :man11:

Jokes aside, I'm not sure how any team could have defended the Nuggets that night, what with the many factors going Denver's way (esp with the touch calls they were getting).

Even their long 3-point misses bounced all the way back to them seemingly every single time. :man3: Every championship team gets blown out every now and then, or plays a game where they just don't get any calls.

We did have multiple chances to swing the momentum our way. However, each and every one resulted in a ridiculously easy miss and ended up with a Denver 3. Metta blew a layup, Nash blew a 5-footer, etc. Just think, if one of these momentum swingers went our way, the result would probably have been different yesterday. Just one momentum swing.

As for Jamison guarding 4's, I don't see Pau guarding anyone anyway, so we're pretty much hopeless. Faried has Pau's number, and has had his number all of last year. At least with Jamison, Faried would be forced to run around and tire out. That's one form of "defense," right? :man1:
dj vitus

Postby easyguy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:55 pm

dj vitus wrote:As for Jamison guarding 4's, I don't see Pau guarding anyone anyway, so we're pretty much hopeless. Faried has Pau's number, and has had his number all of last year. At least with Jamison, Faried would be forced to run around and tire out. That's one form of "defense," right? :man1:

Faried, would only be chasing Jamison around if he was making his shots. Last night was a very win-able game, but the Lakers was not motivated, so the ball didn't bounce their way, the calls didn't go their way. I was pretty upset watching the Lakers play last night, no one gave a damn...so I was thinking, why am I getting upset over a team that doesn't care about winning? So I calmed myself down.
easyguy

Postby 432J on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

borri wrote:Tawn is probably really regretting not going to CHA for more money. Here, we suck AND he gets zero PT.

this

i feel bad for him
432J

Postby scissors on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:39 pm

I don't understand how MDA can just let Jamison rot in the bench like that.
scissors

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:47 pm

scissors wrote:I don't understand how MDA can just let Jamison rot in the bench like that.

Me neither. It's not right. The guy can contribute if given the chance. We've seen that.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion