Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:10 am

nameant wrote:The guy is a good basketball player and has been for most of his career. The problem is, the HOF is supposed to be reserved for GREAT basketball players. He's a 2 time all-star, has no individual accomplishments, has no rings, has had no real team accomplishments, has maybe 1 or 2 notable performances....come on now. Basketball is about more than numbers.

The numbers could probably get him in after a long wait. Even with a ring he's not a first ballot hall of famer. But there'll be slow years where he might get a look at it. Especially if he does win a ring.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:22 pm

therealdeal wrote:
nameant wrote:The guy is a good basketball player and has been for most of his career. The problem is, the HOF is supposed to be reserved for GREAT basketball players. He's a 2 time all-star, has no individual accomplishments, has no rings, has had no real team accomplishments, has maybe 1 or 2 notable performances....come on now. Basketball is about more than numbers.

The numbers could probably get him in after a long wait. Even with a ring he's not a first ballot hall of famer. But there'll be slow years where he might get a look at it. Especially if he does win a ring.

this

he's definitely not first ballot and with his numbers he is borderline at most. but if he wins a ring there's no doubt he could get in after waiting for a while or in a year where there aren't any obvious first ballot candidates
432J

Postby JSM on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:16 pm

It's a shame he couldn't buy a basket tonight. He was so open on some of those 3s he had time to run home, add Justified to his Tivo, run back, shoot the shot and the defense still wouldn't have rotated over yet.

We're going to need a much better effort against NOH, especially if MWP isn't 100%
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 am

The first really bad game he's had in a while.

Even when he's shooting well I've noticed his shot is either dead on or way the **** off. Sometimes he'll airball and dent the back board. Other times he'll hit 4 shots in a row that don't touch the rim.

Weird.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 am

Wasn't a good game from Jamison. Missed his shots, wasn't moving well. He looked like he was sick or something.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby JSM on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Mark Whicker of the Orange County Register wrote:Fifteen years in, Antawn Jamison thought he had a high threshold of surprise.

That threshold might be the only thing the 2012-13 Lakers have overcome.

Jamison had slogged through Golden State, Dallas, Washington and Cleveland in search of a championship, years that had given him only 42 postseason games. He is No. 9 among active NBA scorers.

He knew change was afoot. But he assumed hope would follow.

Surprise!

"I came here to win and do whatever it took," Jamison said. "All around it's a different scenario. We got the mindset that we'd eventually win 8-9 games in a row. It never got to that point."

It still hasn't. Maybe it won't have to.

As Lakers fans, in sackcloth and ashes, wail into the night, and as every day either brings a State Of Dwight Howard address or a clarification/apology from the Lakers' attention-seeking center, the team itself is actually entering playoff mode.

In any other market the fans would be applauding a 14-6 record since Jan. 23, which gives the Lakers the third-best record in the West during that time.

In any other market, Kobe Bryant's remarkable 17th season would be appreciated for what it is – his finest hour as a professional.

Those who have placed bags on their heads have also missed the fact that the Lakers are even sprouting a bench.

Jodie Meeks repeatedly strafed New Orleans from the 3-point line on Wednesday in that comeback victory, and Jamison had an eight-game streak of double-figure games that was interrupted Sunday.

Meanwhile, the injured Jazz and the defensively disinterested Rockets are developing a cough.

Six of Utah's next nine games are on the road. The next three roadies are at Chicago, the Knicks and Oklahoma City.

The Rockets have nine of their next 12 at home, but end the season at the Lakers and, remember, the Lakers only have to beat out one team to get into the playoffs.

Eight of the Lakers' next 12 games are against teams on the lottery train.

And, sure, the Lakers would be major underdogs as a first or second seed. But if you see Gregg Popovich and Scott Brooks, ask them how much antitoxin they'll need for Bryant in the first playoff round.

All of that is premature speculation, as the whole Laker season has been.

"It's been our chemistry, and we'll still trying to get it," Jamison said. "Steve (Nash) is playing off the ball sometimes, Kobe is dealing with Steve, Dwight is dealing with another scorer (Pau Gasol), it's time to get Pau involved, Pau gets hurt, Jordan (Hill) gets hurt ... It's definitely been a whirlwind.

"We knew it was going to take time, but in this day we don't practice patience. We don't have time for it. That was the case here. In all honesty, we wanted things to click right away and it didn't. So we had to practice what we preached. That was the most important thing, being patient. Playing for the Lakers, that's unheard of."

So was the idea of Jamison sitting every minute of six consecutive games, in December, as Mike D'Antoni, hired on Nov. 12, held auditions in real time.

"People kept asking what was going on and I had no idea," he said. "Mike and I talked. He liked the way Metta (World Peace) was playing at the 4 spot.

"It was difficult but since then, we've had a revolving door, Mike and I always talking with each other. It broke the ice. It's been different, dealing with three different coaches. Mike Brown had a way he wanted us to play, Bernie Bickerstaff said, hey, ya'll just play. And now D'Antoni has his sytem. But he's not running it anymore. He definitely had to adjust to us.

Along the way the Lakers, accompanied by the rest of us, forgot the jigsaw nature of basketball.

Miami wins with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, but that required adjustment, too, even though all three players were versatile and in prime-time.

It is abundantly clear that Howard and Gasol are incompatible, that the Lakers function better with Jamison and Earl Clark at the 4. With Gasol injured, D'Antoni has pared his bench so that Jamison, Meeks and Steve Blake know when, and for how long, they will play.

"Instead of being worried that you're going to play only 10 minutes and you have to force things, you can let it happen," Jamison said.

He shrugged, with the bemused look of a guy forced to sit through a movie that keeps veering from pie fights to train wrecks to Batman giving up his cape.

The playbook is gone, but maybe not the silver linings.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:18 am

That was a strange write up... I couldn't figure out it's tone at all.

But I hope Jamison gives us another chance this summer. He came here expecting so much more. Hopefully he realizes we're almost there and we need a guy like him back.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Mark Medina
Antawn Jamison on what's changed lately for the Lakers
"We finally have chemistry and togetherness," he said. "You see guys smiling and holding each other accountable. No one is rolling eyes to one another when a mistake is being made. We’re being positive. If somebody gets on somebody, we take it and then move on. Togetherness has been the improvement now instead of the things that went on in the first two months of the season."
JSM

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:02 pm

minutes have been down but hes still being effective in limited minutes. he'll always be needed and is that xfactor every game. glad hes a vet and isnt being all butt hurt about minutes. guy just wants to win and will do anything to do so. love it
Ariza3

Postby The Rock on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:23 pm

We're gonna need his scoring in this road trip

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JSM on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:05 pm

:jam2: Nice game Twan!

10/8, he was slipping into the post whenever he wanted to. A smart decision with his 3 ball being off right now.
JSM

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:24 pm

I knew Nash and Jamison played together in Dallas, but I did not remember that Blake and Jamison played together in Washington, that is interesting, no wonder they have some chemistry.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby jOeyB7000 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Solid game by Twan
jOeyB7000

Postby trodgers on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Jamison is a GREAT fit for this team. Is he our best FA signing in forever?
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Finwë on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:45 pm

I agree with the sentiment on how well he fits us. He's been great offensively, moving off the ball and hitting timely shots. If his D was a little better he would probably get more minutes and MWP wouldn't play this much (he's become such a terrible offensive player, I can't stand seeing him chuck and go 1 on 1)
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 pm

He and Blake have nice chemistry...played together in WAS

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I love watching him slip screens. It's just easy money all day long.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Some were saying it was a bad signing earlier in the year, even at minimum salary :man4:

He's not dropping 15+ points every night, but if he can consistently get his points by slipping screens, and doesn't need plays drawn up for him, it's just good stuff.

trodgers wrote:Jamison is a GREAT fit for this team. Is he our best FA signing in forever?
charvin

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Another great game for Jamison. He really has found his niche here. He's a monster cutting off ball. Always finds the seams.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 pm

loved what him and blake have now. they look good together off the bench and seem to have good chemistry. also blake and meeks too.

i think blake has been running the bench offense pretty well and is racking up a lot of assists in limited minutes. hes setting up jamison and meeks pretty well. jamison has been slipping screens and cutting and finishing really well and blake is making great passes.

that pass to meeks through 2 defenders for the 3 was awesome. blake looking good with jamison
Ariza3

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:41 pm

It seems that every time Jamison has an easy bucket the pass comes from Blake! Love Tawn man glad he's with us to battle in the playoffs! :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 am

Ariza3 wrote:loved what him and blake have now. they look good together off the bench and seem to have good chemistry. also blake and meeks too.

i think blake has been running the bench offense pretty well and is racking up a lot of assists in limited minutes. hes setting up jamison and meeks pretty well. jamison has been slipping screens and cutting and finishing really well and blake is making great passes.

that pass to meeks through 2 defenders for the 3 was awesome. blake looking good with jamison

I loved that pass. Jameer didn't even see it coming and Meeks drains the shot in that little dude's face.

Blake certainly has looked great these last few weeks since his return. He's confident and he's got this 2nd unit REALLY clicking. It's been so great to watch. We haven't had a PG be effective like this off the bench in a while.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Alex Kennedy of Hoops World wrote:“The most important thing for us is now we’re starting to get chemistry,” Antawn Jamison said. “We’re starting to understand each other’s roles. When I’m in there with Dwight, I know what to expect and I know where he likes the ball, and the same thing with Kobe. The pick-and-roll with Nash is different than the pick-and-roll with Blake. Coach had to adjust his system a little bit to us as well. Now that the chemistry is there and we’re all comfortable playing together, we all have a little bit more confidence. We all trust in each other a lot more than in the beginning of the season when Coach first took over. I think that’s been one of the biggest adjustments and biggest differences.
“We knew it was going to take some time, but I think we thought because we have so many phenomenal players on this team that it would be quicker than normal or wouldn’t take as much time. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. The word patient is always used in the NBA, but never really taken to heart. We just really had to have some patience and believe that things were going to turn around. Once we started playing with a sense of urgency, understanding the important of every game and the importance of playing with one another, things started to take place.”
JSM

Postby dj vitus on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 pm

I like that Jamison is playing better, but he is a strange cat.

He plays like an all-star when we least expect him to. But he lays a doughnut when we expect the world from him.

Well, since he's been playing better (especially with Blake), hopefully he can sustain it and make up for some of Kobe's absence.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Will be interesting to see what happens with Jamison's role when Pau returns. We're going to need his scoring to lead the bench in the playoffs so it's important that we keep him engaged.
lakersin4

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion