Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 am

He finally showed some value after ASB, but he's old and plays no defense. I'm done with those types of players, we need to move in a different direction.

I just have no idea how we're going to do that when the FO skimps on spending money on role players in order to go top heavy all the time. No one will want to sign with a team that doesn't appear to have a good future for less money.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby noobiew on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:59 am

Jamison was our best best bench player this season, the guy turned down more money and came here for the vet minimum and contributed big-time, his performed way well beyond to his reflected salary

You gotta feel sad if we loss him. :man5:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Center Court on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am

So I guess the nickname Cockroach really applies now huh?
Center Court

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:50 am

Antawn intentionally missing the exit interview? That doesn't sound like he's coming back, and I don't blame him. He can play closer to home & possibly play for more money. Obviously, Jamison is going to do what is best for him, and that's his right. I appreciated his effort this season. He stayed professional & kept working even while being benched.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:16 am

^Is this true?
Chillbongo

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 am

By Eric Pincus
April 29, 2013, 5:50 p.m.
Lakers forward Antawn Jamison is set to undergo wrist surgery at 7 a.m. Tuesday.

The Lakers' veteran forward sustained an injury on March 22 in a loss to the Washington Wizards. An MRI revealed ligament damage, but Jamison played through the discomfort to help the team finish the season.

Injuries hindered the Lakers all year -- especially in the playoffs as they were swept by the San Antonio Spurs, with Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Jodie Meeks and Metta World Peace all missing time.

Despite the Lakers' efforts to contact him, Jamison skipped his exit interview with the team on Monday, according to a team spokesman.

After coming to the Lakers on a one-year, veterans minimum contract ($1.35 million), Jamison is not expected back.

Kamenetzky Brothers ‏@KamBrothers 59s
MT @mcten: Source close to Jamison says wrist surgery "went well, no complications." Also, AJ did not intentionally miss exit interview
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Conflicting reports, Chill.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:40 am

Interesting...both legitimate sources as well. Regardless of whether he wants to come back, I don't think Jamison is the type of person to intentionally miss the exit interview. Something must have come up...
Chillbongo

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am

i liked Jamison...i'd like to see him come back...when he was on, we were pretty good
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby XXIV on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:56 am

I wonder which report is true, but I'd like for him to come back. It would be beneficial for us to keep our role players who actually contributed while adding additional ones, instead of starting from bottom again. We need to build on to what we already have.
XXIV

Postby Helljumper on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:17 pm

He's a great value at the minimum, but I wouldn't mind if he decided to go elsewhere for more money. It wouldn't hurt to have his spot in the rotation replaced with a younger stretch 4.
Helljumper

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 11:16 am

Are we getting this dude back? Was the exit interview thing overplayed?

He always seemed ok with the situation, not necessarily ecstatic but I can't imagine him being that against returning to the Lakers. Other than because MDA did him wrong, as he does with many. I would hate to see another Matt Barnes situation where player doesn't mesh with coach, and then said player goes to a different team and kills it.

He was key in a good number of wins this season. Easy scoring, veteran player, and definitely provided some of the only spark on the bench this year.
Chillbongo

Postby gcclaker on Tue May 14, 2013 11:18 am

Chillbongo wrote:Are we getting this dude back? Was the exit interview thing overplayed?

He always seemed ok with the situation, not necessarily ecstatic but I can't imagine him being that against returning to the Lakers. Other than because MDA did him wrong, as he does with many. I would hate to see another Matt Barnes situation where player doesn't mesh with coach, and then said player goes to a different team and kills it.

He was key in a good number of wins this season. Easy scoring, veteran player, and definitely provided some of the only spark on the bench this year.

It has been presumed that Jamison isn't coming back at least from local sources. I would love to see him back with an attitude that there's unfinished business on hand. Jamison was THE bench.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am

He's extremely unlikely to come back. He didn't get along with the coach and the entire season I think probably left a bad taste in his mouth.

I'm sure he'll find a better offer somewhere like... Oh, I don't know... Miami.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 11:41 am

therealdeal wrote:I'm sure he'll find a better offer somewhere like... Oh, I don't know... Miami.

:man6:
:bang:
:mad1:
therealdeal wrote:He's extremely unlikely to come back. He didn't get along with the coach and the entire season I think probably left a bad taste in his mouth.

You know, it's sad because Jamison is actually more crucial to the team's success this upcoming season than the coach. This guy is a proven veteran, he's never come off as difficult, hot-headed or unwilling to change. He knew what his role would be with us this season.

Then you have coach...proven track record of being stubborn, him not meshing with players, his reputation for poor defense, and his success built by a HOF player.

Yet the FO will look at the Jamison situation and elect to keep the coach instead of making the change where it should be. I know it's not a simple decision you make like that, but just another reason coach should F***** GO.

A respectable coach would not "lose" a player like Jamison.
Last edited by Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chillbongo

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue May 14, 2013 11:43 am

Why is this even being discussed. He said he wasn't coming back I thought. Even blew off the exit interview. Is that clue enough. Probably a combo of Dan freaking Tony still being the coach and memory of the disrespect with DNPs Dan hit him with, and the fact he is certainly still worth maybe a little more in salary than what he got here to chase a ring. Dan still coach.... no ring on horizon..... FU and "See ya".
LTLakerFan

Postby FeelGoodUnInc on Sun May 19, 2013 8:19 am

All three of the Lakers’ free agents -- Earl Clark, Antawn Jamison and Howard -- are probable to return, with Howard commanding a max contract and Jamison presumably re-signing for the veteran’s minimum.

Jovan Buha from ESPNLA wrote that, not sure where he's getting his information from, or if it's just his belief. Like others, I also thought Antawn was gone for sure.
FeelGoodUnInc

Postby therealdeal on Sun May 19, 2013 9:54 am

Who is that?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FeelGoodUnInc on Sun May 19, 2013 10:14 am

No clue, haven't heard of him until today

Here's the direct link > http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lak ... nt-targets
FeelGoodUnInc

Postby karacha on Sun May 19, 2013 10:17 am

I would definitely welcome him back. Yes, we do have to get younger and more athletic, but you simply can't get a better player then Jamison for that money. He actually fits nicely. Does not play the "old man's game". He's in fantastic shape, does not miss games, and is pretty mobile for a 4 even at 36, when you think about it. I honestly think we should bring him back if he's willing to give it a try. He has a lot of fuel left in the tank. Good teammate, good locker room guy, never complains about anything -- heavy minutes or no minutes at all. He simply shows up for every practice and works hard.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby FeelGoodUnInc on Sun May 19, 2013 12:30 pm

karacha wrote:I would definitely welcome him back. Yes, we do have to get younger and more athletic, but you simply can't get a better player then Jamison for that money. He actually fits nicely. Does not play the "old man's game". He's in fantastic shape, does not miss games, and is pretty mobile for a 4 even at 36, when you think about it. I honestly think we should bring him back if he's willing to give it a try. He has a lot of fuel left in the tank. Good teammate, good locker room guy, never complains about anything -- heavy minutes or no minutes at all. He simply shows up for every practice and works hard.

I concur, if you saw him play without an idea of who he was, you would not think that he's 36 years old, dude is in phenomenal shape & I'd love to see him return
FeelGoodUnInc

Postby therealdeal on Sun May 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Here's the issue with that: do we want to keep moving forward with the development of Clark? Or do we want to continue giving Jamison the backup PF duties?

Because we don't really have time for both.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun May 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Clark should play the 3. He's not really a 4, although he'll play it here and there. We should continue developing Clark as our future backup 3, and find a starting 3 who is athletic and can score.

Jamison is a scoring backup 4. Not a SF, not a C.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun May 19, 2013 12:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:Here's the issue with that: do we want to keep moving forward with the development of Clark? Or do we want to continue giving Jamison the backup PF duties?

Because we don't really have time for both.

I don't think Clark's role on the team will ever be that of a scoring threat. His buckets come when he's hustling and working hard, just like Hill. His scoring and impact took a big hit when he got hurt and he wasn't conditioned for significant playing time either. So I think they can coexist just fine.

Barring any significant return from a Pau trade, the bench should be
C: Hill
PF: Jamison
SF: Clark
SG: FA
PG: Blake

The scoring options are the new SG (should have been Meeks but he's not up for the task), Blake, and Jamison. Clark and Hill should get their scoring from open looks, put backs, energy plays, and being in the right place at the right time.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby XXIV on Sun May 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Wasn't Clark playing at his best when he was at the 4?
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Sun May 19, 2013 1:17 pm

With or without Jamison, Clark isn't going to be able to grow with cry baby on the team.

Pau was hurt all this season and was still complaining about not playing enough minutes. If he comes back healthy, he's just going to b**** even more if his minutes dip.

The only way Clark can develop is if Pau is gone because IMO he plays better at the 4, than the 3.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion