Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison Discussion: Intro News Conf (pg34)

Postby artuditu on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:59 am

I didn't forget at all we signed him, even if 36 years old, I think he can be a factor. He gives us lots of options, he can play as a 3 or 4, depending on the rival. A natural scorer that can also grab rebounds coming from the bench... Don't forget the biggest issue last year was losing Odom for nothing, Jamison is the closest thing to have Odom again, plus Howard, plus Nash...

Fact: Playing next to Lebron he was able to put 15.8 ppg with the second best %FG of his career (.485)
artuditu

Postby GoldenKnight on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 am

Everytime I have a convo at work about the Lakers and I name the starting 5 I always do forget about Jamison on our bench, that's how stacked we are.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby JSM on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:52 am

Mark Medina of the LA Times wrote:The countdown before Lakers training camp remains a little more than a week away.

The countdown before Dwight Howard returns to the court remains another story. The Lakers have already announced the Lakers center will miss at least the Lakers' preseason opener Oct. 7 against Golden State as he rehabs from back surgery. His workouts beginning last week with the Lakers training staff included core stabilization, upper and lower body strength, light running and shooting. He's not expected to participate in training camp beginning Oct. 2. And in his introductory news conference last month, Howard acknowledged he may miss the season opener Oct. 30 against the Dallas Mavericks if it means ensuring his back becomes fully healthy.

Sports Illustrated's Sam Amick reported it's likely Jordan Hill will start at power forward, while Pau Gasol slides at center. But the Lakers' key reserve in Antawn Jamison will likely have an increased role too. For his part, the 37-year-old power forward maintains he's ready.

"That's something I knew coming in that there would be times I'm playing significant amount of minutes or times I'd have a certain role coming off the bench," said Jamison, who's played both as a starter and reserve in his 14-year career. "Fortunately for me, I've been in just about every scenario you can imagine. Whether it's starting for a couple games, keeping my role in coming off the bench ... I will come in and help out this team as much as possible. Whatever is asked of me to do, I'll do it."

The Lakers are already counting on Jamison to boost a bench that finished last season last in the NBA in total offense (20.5 points per game), 20th in shooting percentage (21.8%) and 28th in efficiency (27.2). Meanwhile, Jamison believes he's averaged a stellar 19.5 points per game because he's maximized his longevity through extensive off-season training.

Jamison said he's stayed active since the Miami Heat dispatched the Oklahoma City Thunder in five games of the 2012 NBA Finals. During that time, Jamison said he's gone through daily yoga exercises to enhance his conditioning and flexibility. He's worked with his physical therapist on strengthening his glute and quadriceps muscles as well as his hamstrings to minimize his defensive weaknesses.

"I'm an old man now," Jamison said. "The off-season for me is how I get better. It's how I stay in shape. It's how I prevent injuries. This off-season has been more mental, especially with knowing I was coming here. I'm being focused, paying attention to detail and making sure I'm doing the proper steps to ensure my body can withstand 82 games and a long playoff series."

Still, Jamison said he has a long way to go.

When he's played in informal workouts at the Lakers' practice facility in El Segundo, Jamison said he and various assistant coaches notice his shooting form has been inconsistent.

"All of my misses, I'm leaning forward and aiming it instead of just shooting the ball," Jamison said. "I had a problem with that in the past. I always move left and right. But that's one of the things I've been trying to correct this off-season by going straight up."

Nonetheless, Jamison said he'll immediately correct those issues. After all, his large responsibility leading the Lakers' bench only increased with the strong possibility Howard will sit on the sidelines in the coming weeks.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:54 am

JSM

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am

JSM wrote:Image

Must be the angle, no way is Jamison taller than Hill.. Great to see those 2 guys working together. Best set of bigs off the bench in the league. Hurry up & start the season already.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Why do I have to keep fixing your links? :man10: :man10:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Damn Jamison has some guns....

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Just making sure you're workin' karacha. :man1:

I was thinking the same thing Doc, Jamison looks like he's in great shape physically.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

You can tell while watching a scrimmage why teammates like Antawn Jamison so much. Constantly positive & encouraging.

Jamison is also showing why he's averaged about 20 ppg for his career, hitting the last 2 game winning shots, both triples.

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Balance&Options24 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 pm

throughout his career I actively rooted for Jamison eventhough he wasn't a Laker. He caught some bad breaks on crappy teams. Out of the many reason I want us winning a title, watching a guy like antwan win his 1st championship is something I want to see. He seems like such a good dude.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Weezy on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy be the leader of our bench, we have not had a guy that could be that since Lamar was traded and it was missed big time. I've respected Jamison's game his entire career, will be strange to see him as a Laker, but it will also be really cool.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:

Jamison is also showing why he's averaged about 20 ppg for his career, hitting the last 2 game winning shots, both triples.

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter

Sweet!
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Balance&Options24 wrote:throughout his career I actively rooted for Jamison eventhough he wasn't a Laker. He caught some bad breaks on crappy teams. Out of the many reason I want us winning a title, watching a guy like antwan win his 1st championship is something I want to see. He seems like such a good dude.

^^ Me, too. I've always liked Jamison and his game. He's one of the good guys. Here's hoping we get him a ring! And that he has a very active role in us getting that championship.
Lakerjones

Postby noobiew on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:18 am

love this guy, teammate seems like and respect him, easily our bench best player and also bringing leadership to our 2nd unit.

Still can't believe we got this guy for wat ? ... VET MIN !? :man4:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby karacha on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:56 am

Sounds great. We got someone who can be almost as productive as Odom (especially when it comes to scoring), but is mentally tougher, better shooter, more clutch.... and slightly cheaper.

Yeah. That's a pretty decent signing. :man9:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 am

He's been a very underrated signing, but that tends to happen when you acquire Nash AND Howard. I'm really excited to see what he brings off the bench, and we now have a true 6th man which we desperately lacked last season.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 am

Of all the players we got this off-season, he may have the greatest VALUE. I mean seriously we're paying him relative peanuts right now for our sixth man.

If he can stay healthy and just give us 12-14 pts/4-5 rbds/ 2-3 asts on good efficiency from the field that'd be gravy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 am

I'm hoping he can put up at least 12ppg, shooting above 35% from range. He'd be really effective in a lineup of:

Nash
Meeks
Metta
Jamison
Howard

Wouldn't mind that unit at all. I'd call this the pick and roll, floor spread group. Then we can run:

Duhon/Blake
Kobe
Ebanks
Gasol
Hill

This would be the ISO/hustle group. Kobe and Pau would do their thing offensively, Hill cleans up boards, Ebanks provide what Barnes did, and Duhon/Blake handle the ball/spread the floor.

As long as two of our starters work with the bench, should be a fine rotation.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby XXIV on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:12 am

^ I completely agree with the two lineups you posted. Jamison is a perfect fit next to Howard as a stretch four who doesn't need the post to be effective, and having Nash as the floor general will likely set multiple open looks for our shooters.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:34 am

I've been touting the same lineup since everything went down EXCEPT! I switched Artest and Ebanks. I'd rather have Ebanks with the team that has Nash because he needs a guy like Nash to create opportunities for him to score. Artest helps have at least one proven defender out there that will give his all every play on that end (sorry Kobe).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:35 am

Between Trudell video with Jamison and the twitter reports from the scrimmages, this signing just keeps sounding better and better. He's vital to the success of this team as the anchor of our bench -- both on and off the court. It's nice to pickup a veteran for the bench who's tank isn't on E, Jamison can still put up double digit scoring games in his sleep; in fact, if he doesn't average 12 points a contest, I'll be disappointed. With him leading the charge of our second unit, we have one of the best second units in the league, something we haven't had in a long, long time. We don't have the best or deepest -- Clipps, Knicks, Mavs, and Heat also bolstered their secondary and have some serious fire power in that department. BUT not trying to be biased, but I think ours might be the most natural fit and make for the most cohesive unit. Everyone on our bench has as unique skill set they bring to the table and I think their talents should blend together quite well.

Also, Jamison provides another respected locker room leader and another good cop to Kobe's bad cop. We really missed that with the loss of Fish, but Nash and Jamison make up for that.
JSM

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:45 am

Jamison is a great, great addition. I was ecstatic like a school girl is when her crush ask her out and I still am. It's gonna be so great to have someone on our bench who can score the basketball. We've needed that for the last two years.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 am

JSM wrote:BUT not trying to be biased, but I think ours might be the most natural fit and make for the most cohesive unit. Everyone on our bench has as unique skill set they bring to the table and I think their talents should blend together quite well.

Also, Jamison provides another respected locker room leader and another good cop to Kobe's bad cop. We really missed that with the loss of Fish, but Nash and Jamison make up for that.

I think that's true for our whole team. I mean you look around the league and you see other "super" teams like Oklahoma and Miami and they have one serious flaw: to be MOST effective one or more of their main options has to limit their game. In OKC, Westbrook takes shots away from Durant. In Miami, Wade's game has become somewhat limited and Bosh's game is more limited as well. Here, all of our players fit almost perfectly. Kobe's the one question mark, but at his age I think it's better for him to be set up more anyway. I don't think he WANTS to do what he's been doing the last few years any more because he's too old to carry the team that way. If everyone buys into their roles on the team we're going to have the most dangerous offense by far.

I'm definitely excited about the prospect of Jamison being our Sixth Man. He seems to have embraced the role and he seems really excited to be here... this season is going to be really exciting.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:45 pm

JSM wrote:Between Trudell video with Jamison and the twitter reports from the scrimmages, this signing just keeps sounding better and better. He's vital to the success of this team as the anchor of our bench -- both on and off the court. It's nice to pickup a veteran for the bench who's tank isn't on E, Jamison can still put up double digit scoring games in his sleep; in fact, if he doesn't average 12 points a contest, I'll be disappointed. With him leading the charge of our second unit, we have one of the best second units in the league, something we haven't had in a long, long time. We don't have the best or deepest -- Clipps, Knicks, Mavs, and Heat also bolstered their secondary and have some serious fire power in that department. BUT not trying to be biased, but I think ours might be the most natural fit and make for the most cohesive unit. Everyone on our bench has as unique skill set they bring to the table and I think their talents should blend together quite well.

I concur your exact sentiments.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion