Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison Discussion: Intro News Conf (pg34)

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 pm

'Tawn will be our new Barnes, only without the blown layups. I've always loved his garbage man style of play, great signing by Kupchak, especially at the price we got him for. Dude may be old but he can still produce.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby khmrP on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:32 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:'Tawn will be our new Barnes, only without the blown layups. I've always loved his garbage man style of play, great signing by Kupchak, especially at the price we got him for. Dude may be old but he can still produce.

I hope he's not like Barnes literally when playoff times comes around :man4:
khmrP

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 pm

khmrP wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:'Tawn will be our new Barnes, only without the blown layups. I've always loved his garbage man style of play, great signing by Kupchak, especially at the price we got him for. Dude may be old but he can still produce.

I give Barnes a bit of a pass in that regard due to the fact that he always managed to find himself saddled with an injury come playoff time during his stint with us. As for Jamison, he be old, but he's still got game based on what I saw of him in Cleveland, even on those crap LeBron-less squads.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:48 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
khmrP wrote:

I give Barnes a bit of a pass in that regard due to the fact that he always managed to find himself saddled with an injury come playoff time during his stint with us. As for Jamison, he be old, but he's still got game based on what I saw of him in Cleveland, even on those crap LeBron-less squads.

One big difference that I note between those two is that Barnes' game is reliant on a lot of athleticism and Jamison's game isn't reliant on athleticism at all. He's a knock-down jump shooter and he's a smart player that makes great decisions.

He isn't the answer to our prayers, but damn he's going to help so much. On any given night I think we can depend on him to pick up our scoring slack off the bench. No more 7 minute stretches where we rest Kobe and Gasol that evaporates any lead we may have had.

Fun note, we've been clamoring for youth and athleticism and the two guys we bring in that people are most excited about are the exact opposite.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:
bruddahmanmatt wrote:
khmrP wrote:

One big difference that I note between those two is that Barnes' game is reliant on a lot of athleticism and Jamison's game isn't reliant on athleticism at all. He's a knock-down jump shooter and he's a smart player that makes great decisions.

He isn't the answer to our prayers, but damn he's going to help so much. On any given night I think we can depend on him to pick up our scoring slack off the bench. No more 7 minute stretches where we rest Kobe and Gasol that evaporates any lead we may have had.

Fun note, we've been clamoring for youth and athleticism and the two guys we bring in that people are most excited about are the exact opposite.

Yeah, 'Tawn's game is "unorthodox" to say the least, lots of weird, wonky flip shots, push shots and odd looking hooks but I've always liked the way he plays because it keeps defenders guessing and allows him to be effective even at his age. FWIW he can still get up and throw down when he has to, and I like the fact that in addition to being able to score around the rim, he's a solid enough shooter from deep which is always something we can use.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Really good signing. Now let's a backup SG and call it a day.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Definitely has an array of weird freakin' shots. I always was frustrated watching because when I played sports I was always a defensive guy. The way he plays is so difficult to defend because he attacks from such, to steal your word, unorthodox angles.

It's going to be a ton of fun to watch him come off the bench. How many teams can boast a big scorer like him? How many can say they have him coming off the bench? How many of them are playing for the minimum at a chance for a ring? Hm...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:38 pm

just caught up with his radio interview with mason & ireland, really like the things he had to say. i think this guy has fully bought in and is gonna come ready to contribute
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby JGC on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:15 am

therealdeal wrote:One big difference that I note between those two is that Barnes' game is reliant on a lot of athleticism and Jamison's game isn't reliant on athleticism at all. He's a knock-down jump shooter and he's a smart player that makes great decisions.

Agree with everything that you said man. Though, we may still have 7 minute stretches where we go cold even with Jamison but it should happen far less often.

I've always though athleticism was overrated. A definite plus, but not something a team needs to have to be successful. I like this 'all in' approach from the FO.

And the downside of youth is the maturity factor. Jamison has already done 1 thing before stepping into his Lakers jersey that shows he is all about the team and that's take less than he could have received elsewhere for the singular goal of winning. 99 times out of 100, that's not something young players are willing to do.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:56 am

^then call Jordan Hill Mr. 100 :man1:

I wouldn't mind immature young guys if they can produce what's necessary for us to win (Bynum). In fact I think with this team I think we'll need a little more of that. Athleticism may be overrated, but it still needs to be considered. These younger squads CAN still out run us and that will be a problem. We won't catch up by adding two athletes, but we may help close the gap a bit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 am

i think he said the word 'opportunity' 78 times during the presser
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby jlkr on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:34 am

I remember that game he and Kobe both got 51. Jamison played for the Warriors then and yes the Warriors won that game. Can't believe it was that long ago.
Some try to tell me
Thoughts they cannot defend...
--Hayward
jlkr

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Antawn's full press conference is now on Lakers.com. Far better sound quality.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Alcindor wrote:lol Antoine talking about all the attention Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Nash get will give him open shots. Um meet your squad Antoine: Blake/Morris, Goudlock/DJO, Ebanks, HIll. You'll still draw attention.

Antoine....

Antawn....

Just listened to Mitch's interview with Stephen A. and he screwed up and called him Antwan. Like last with Brown getting Session's first name wrong.
LTLakerFan

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:46 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Alcindor wrote:lol Antoine talking about all the attention Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Nash get will give him open shots. Um meet your squad Antoine: Blake/Morris, Goudlock/DJO, Ebanks, HIll. You'll still draw attention.

Antoine....

Antawn....

Just listened to Mitch's interview with Stephen A. and he screwed up and called him Antwan. Like last with Brown getting Session's first name wrong.

His name is still pronounced "Antwan" despite the fact that it's misspelled "Antawn".
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Pau
Jamison
Kobe
Meeks
Nash

Run n' gun
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:22 pm

"His name is still pronounced "Antwan" despite the fact that it's misspelled "Antawn".

Ahh....OK thanks.

I think the screwiest pronunciation of any name around based on how it's actually spelled is coach Mike Krzyzewski's.

Who would think "Mike" would be pronounced like the way he does it? :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:01 am

Need him to come through for us
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:52 pm

so im reading he'll prob be playing backup SF to MWP.

my question is has he played SF before? he's 6-9 and prob cant keep up with the other SF's so idk how that will work. i think he'll have more success and a bigger advantage at PF.

What position did he play when he was playing with Nash in Dallas?
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:07 pm

^ I haven't read anywhere whether or not he'll play SF or PF. People are just speculating. He's not a true PF or a true SF anyway. Defensively he's going to struggle against everyone.

Here, he's probably best used as a stretch 4 with Howard down low. But since our SF position is somewhat shaky, people are talking about moving him up and bringing in another PF like Martin (a defensive guy).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:22 pm

I think he can play the 3 or the 4, he's not a great defender period, but he would probably have a lot harder time with guarding 3's. Hopefully he's a backup 4 for us if that's the case, but I think we could survive either way. Also, he's got to be smiling right now about deciding to sign with us, knowing we just got even better today with Howard and Meeks.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Speaking of Antawn Jamison, you can see almost immediately why he’s averaged 19.5 points per game for his career. The guy just has a knack for the bucket, whether it’s utilizing his unique array of floaters and leaners, or finding the space in the half court to get himself open for a jumper. He told us how excited he is about the team vibe he’s already feeling, with new/hungry blood from himself, Nash, Howard and Jodie Meeks* joining the likes of Bryant with a championship in mind. Jamison can’t stop smiling as he walks around the facility.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:01 pm

This is when I first gained respect for Antawn..
LakerFanIam

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Almost forgot we signed this guy :man10:
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:16 am

WE have so many weapons I forgot we had him too.... This dude is money from 15
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion