Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison To The Lakers?

Postby karacha on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 am

Just for the record, I would play Jamison off the bench instead of trading Pau.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 am

Punk-101 wrote:Is no one else concerned that Pau has dropped 5ppg and 8%fg two years in a row in the playoffs? Does Nash prevent this? If so, how?

I am. Nash will certainly help and I think that with him creating shots, Gasol is going to look MUCH better, but I don't know it's enough to justify keeping him here. We're paying him so much money that it shouldn't be a chance whether or not he can be effective.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:48 am

Since I am not paying for the team, I'm not worried about it. If the owners are OK with having Pau on the team this year, I'm not going to complain. I'm not worried about his production at all.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 am

This needs to happen.
JLaker17

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 am

karacha wrote:Since I am not paying for the team, I'm not worried about it. If the owners are OK with having Pau on the team this year, I'm not going to complain. I'm not worried about his production at all.

I can understand not caring about the money, but you're really not worried about his abysmal play in the playoffs?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 am

karacha wrote:Just for the record, I would play Jamison off the bench instead of trading Pau.

^^ I would too.
Lakerjones

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 am

Punk-101 wrote:What are gasol's playoff #s trav?

Wow. They're pretty telling...

Gasol w/ LA in the Playoffs
Yr1: Scoring: 5.7, passing 2.9, Hustle: 3.2, Offensive: 82
Yr2: SCOFF: 5.9 PAFF: 2.4 HUFF: 3.4 OEFF 84
Yr3: SCOFF: 6.1 PAFF: 2.8 HUFF: 3.6 OEFF 94
Yr4: SCOFF: 5.3 PAFF: 3.0 HUFF: 3.4 OEFF 80
Yr5: SCOFF: 5.1 PAFF: 2.9 HUFF: 3.5 OEFF 77
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 am

A rating under 80 isn't a starter, from what I can tell after looking at a bunch of numbers. He has been there or below the last two playoffs. I think it's a combination of psychological distress and the growing role of Bynum. Gasol has to be dealt with directly: tell him his role, let him figure out whether he can do it. If not, send him off. But give him the respect of telling him exactly what you're wanting from him. He will have an offseason to work on his mid-range game at least. He didn't obviously have that last year.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:58 am

Lakerjones wrote:
karacha wrote:Just for the record, I would play Jamison off the bench instead of trading Pau.

^^I would too.

If there are no offers of reasonable COMPARABLE value for Gasol, I'd keep him too. The onus is on Brown as to how to properly utilize him on the floor. Iguadala replacing World Peace at this stage of their careers is something I would take everyday and twice on Sundays. The is no loss in defense plus a gain on speed, youth and ability to create off the dribble.

If Jamison is inked, he'd be a solid scorer off the pine. I don't see him playing starters' minutes. If Gasol was gone, I'd rather start Jordan Hill who provides a tougher, rugged presence. He is mobile enough on pick and roll defense along with providing more than adequate weakside help. Who's to say Nash won't be able to feed him easy buckets off his interior passing? He'd take it up with force.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:08 am

Lakers are NOT getting Jamison for the vet's minimum. We will have to pay the mini MLE to get him, which I'm totally fine with. Dude averaged what 17 and 6 last year? He's solid and he would help tremendously.
FabFourLakers

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:10 am

FabFourLakers wrote:Lakers are NOT getting Jamison for the vet's minimum. We will have to pay the mini MLE to get him, which I'm totally fine with. Dude averaged what 17 and 6 last year? He's solid and he would help tremendously.

There is almost no one willing and able to offer him more. He narrowed it down to like three teams: Charlotte, LA, Miami. Otherwise, I'd agree with you for sure.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:15 am

FabFourLakers wrote:Lakers are NOT getting Jamison for the vet's minimum. We will have to pay the mini MLE to get him, which I'm totally fine with. Dude averaged what 17 and 6 last year? He's solid and he would help tremendously.

I guess you missed the tweet that said Jamison would accept the vets minimum. Here it is.

Antawn Jamison has expressed interest in joining the Lakers for the veterans minimum if he isn't traded to Brooklyn in a sign & trade.

Source: My Sports Legion
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:17 am

^Miami just added Lewis...so I am not sure if Jamison would even get good minutes there. In Charlotte, he'd cop healthier time. Same here in Los Angeles though projected in a backup role.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lkrfn85 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:17 am

trodgers wrote:

There is almost no one willing and able to offer him more. He narrowed it down to like three teams: Charlotte, LA, Miami. Otherwise, I'd agree with you for sure.

He has earned $139 million over the course of his career. It is very possible that he wants to close out his career on a contender, and would be willing to make the sacrifice from about 4million a year to a vet's minimum.
lkrfn85

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:18 am

gcclaker wrote:^Miami just added Lewis...so I am not sure if Jamison would even get good minutes there. In Charlotte, he'd cop healthier time. Same here in Los Angeles though projected in a backup role.

It's a good point; and they'd be expected to play about the same role. So if it's really Charlotte, LA, or maybe a trade...LA's chances are not bad.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby easyguy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:20 am

lkrfn85 wrote:
trodgers wrote:

He has earned $139 million over the course of his career. It is very possible that he wants to close out his career on a contender, and would be willing to make the sacrifice from about 4million a year to a vet's minimum.

Unfortunately, the more you make the more you spend.
easyguy

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:31 am

trodgers wrote:A rating under 80 isn't a starter, from what I can tell after looking at a bunch of numbers. He has been there or below the last two playoffs. I think it's a combination of psychological distress and the growing role of Bynum. Gasol has to be dealt with directly: tell him his role, let him figure out whether he can do it. If not, send him off. But give him the respect of telling him exactly what you're wanting from him. He will have an offseason to work on his mid-range game at least. He didn't obviously have that last year.

Regarding his poor offensive #s, keep in mind who was guarding him. NOH stiffs( Emeka didn't guard hook much), Dirk (not much Candler), midget farid, 60yo harrington (mcgee not much). Gasol's numbers should have gone up vs those guys but he never took advantage. I like players that salivate and kill when they see a mismatch. Ok done with the guy personally, assuming we can get something decent for him
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:53 am

Antawn Jamison confirms interest from Lakers, Nets. Says he's still gathering info. No decision yet on #Bobcats vs. other options.

Source: Rick Bonnell

Looks like it's down to the Lakers, Nets, and Cats.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:05 pm

KeepBynum, I totally missed that tweet. That is AWESOME if we can get him for vet's min, and same with G Hill. Then we can use that mini MLE to get a back up 2 or even a back up PG. I dunno why he would even consider joining the Cats. I'd say its between the Lakers and Nets now. I think he should know that the Lakers are probably much closer to winning a championship than the Nets are. Getting somebody like Jamison for the vet's minimum would be HUGE. 17 and 6 last year, stretch 4, where do we sign?
FabFourLakers

Postby karacha on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:11 pm

therealdeal wrote:
karacha wrote:Since I am not paying for the team, I'm not worried about it. If the owners are OK with having Pau on the team this year, I'm not going to complain. I'm not worried about his production at all.

I can understand not caring about the money, but you're really not worried about his abysmal play in the playoffs?

Frankly, no. His coach made him a jumpshooter, he wasn't in his comfort zone all year, the team wasn't really clicking and the offense was stagnant in general... so, I am really not worried about Pau. He is extremely skilled. Put him in a position to do what he does best and he will most likely deliver. I would not trade him IF the Buss family does not mind paying him. But having no defined role for him and simply asking him to move further away from the basket and shoot jumpers... with no training camp. I'm actually surprised how well he played all season (for the most part). I honestly thought he was going to suck after seeing the "Brown Offense" at the beginning of the season.

Now, about trades: I don't see any good offers for Pau. And if they are not there, I don't think Mitch should force it. This team is good if he can find few decent bench players.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 pm

karacha wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Frankly, no. His coach made him a jumpshooter, he wasn't in his comfort zone all year, the team wasn't really clicking and the offense was stagnant in general... so, I am really not worried about Pau. He is extremely skilled. Put him in a position to do what he does best and he will most likely deliver. I would not trade him IF the Buss family does not mind paying him. But having no defined role for him and simply asking him to move further away from the basket and shoot jumpers... with no training camp. I'm actually surprised how well he played all season (for the most part). I honestly thought he was going to suck after seeing the "Brown Offense" at the beginning of the season.

Now, about trades: I don't see any good offers for Pau. And if they are not there, I don't think Mitch should force it. This team is good if he can find few decent bench players.

I'm not really worried about the regular season. I'm talking about the post season where his numbers are far below acceptable. I don't know if just acquiring Nash is good enough to not just change Gasol's production but his outlook and demeanor.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:36 pm

karacha wrote:Frankly, no. His coach made him a jumpshooter, he wasn't in his comfort zone all year, the team wasn't really clicking and the offense was stagnant in general... so, I am really not worried about Pau. He is extremely skilled. Put him in a position to do what he does best and he will most likely deliver. I would not trade him IF the Buss family does not mind paying him. But having no defined role for him and simply asking him to move further away from the basket and shoot jumpers... with no training camp. I'm actually surprised how well he played all season (for the most part). I honestly thought he was going to suck after seeing the "Brown Offense" at the beginning of the season.

He sucked in the playoffs the year before with Phil still as coach.

Brown's offense did suck and put Pau at a disadvantage, but he still averaged 17/10 in the regular season. The offense didn't change in the playoffs, so why did Pau drop to 13/7 on 42% (or something like that) two years in a row? Pau was put in the position of primary offensive threat plenty of times with the second unti going against tiny Farid and geriatric Harrington 1-on-1 and he did NOTHING. He didn't even try to be aggressive. We all saw what he did in game 7, so we know he still has it physically. When his mind and heart are into it, Gasol's a top 5 player in this league. Maybe Nash turns will bring that out of him. Maybe he turns into that after we trade him and we hate ourselves for it. I just don't understand what his deal has been in the playoffs. I'm not willing to gamble for 3rd time being a charm.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby karacha on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:43 pm

I am not really counting Phil's last year, because the whole team looked discombobulated. They did not have it. I am hoping that playing in a better offense, with Nash dictating the tempo and making crisp passes, everyone is going to look better, including Pau. Nash transformed above average players into stars... so I am hoping he's going to "rejuvenate" Pau a little, if that makes sense. :man12: It's just a hunch, but I have a good feeling about it.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 pm

I think the one thing about Nash and Gasol is that Nash will make him look better and will probably make him look more valuable. Maybe he can moved during the season for a better return.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:51 pm

karacha wrote:I am not really counting Phil's last year, because the whole team looked discombobulated. They did not have it. I am hoping that playing in a better offense, with Nash dictating the tempo and making crisp passes, everyone is going to look better, including Pau. Nash transformed above average players into stars... so I am hoping he's going to "rejuvenate" Pau a little, if that makes sense. :man12: It's just a hunch, but I have a good feeling about it.

I'm feeling good about Nash improving Pau too, but what about the playoff drop? 17/10 on 50% shooting is pretty darm good in Brown's crappy system. Then he just sucked @$$ in the playoffs independent of personnel or system changes. If Nash raises Pau to 20/10 on 55% shooting, where is the assurance those numbers won't plummet once the playoffs start? Does Nash prevent the playoff drop-off?

Speculation: Maybe kobe get's really intense in the playoffs (he does) and becomes more ball-dominant, offensively unpredictable, and blaming to his teammates, cause Pau to cave? Maybe Nash's presence will prevent this by running the offense with more predictability, even distribution, and a sense of calmness and reassurance which may increase moral and confidence? These are the questions I'm asking. What are other threories?
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion