Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison Discussion: 5 str8 double digit scoring games

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 am

I would definitely offer him one more year now that we finally figured everything out. I like having Blake/Meeks/Jamison/Clark/Hill next year and getting an athletic SF who can create for himself in exchange for Pau if at all possible. Add Kobe, Nash -- who is not showing signs of slowing down right now -- and healthy Dwight, and we can contend next hear for sure, while still keeping the 14/15 plan intact. But right now, Jamison looks great, he's in good shape and does what he did his whole career. It's like he stopped ageing 5 years ago or something. He never gets hurt either.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 pm

still being a workhorse. go tawn :jam2:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Another phenomenal game from Jamison. Loving what he's bringing on the offensive end. Such a savvy scorer.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm just loving what this guy has been bringing lately.

Those slip screens are text book and oh so pretty.

17/8 tonight. Great job from him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Have been the definition of consistency for us and only at the veteran's minimum. I really hope that we resign him after this year.

A second unit of:
C- Hill
PF- Jamison
SF- Clark

Is :man4: :jam2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:52 pm

^^ Hmmm. I'm not sold on Clark at the 3. I'd like to see him re-signed and continue to play the starting 4. But yeah, I'd love to re-sign Jamison, too. Those three, Hill, Clark and Jamison make a really solid front court rotation alongside D12.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:41 am

Brilliant month of Feb for Tawn ... he's even getting better at help D
wcsoldier81

Postby KB24 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:04 am

I hope they don't mess with his minutes once Pau returns. Pau should have been traded in the off-season...but the Lakers were fooled by the idea of Nash reviving his career.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:23 am

Pau return should mean less minutes for Metta... even if Tawn at the 3 isn't the best option , it's still a better one than a hole at this position
wcsoldier81

Postby Chopper on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:34 am

i love checking the box scores and seeing 5-6 Lakers in double figures each night. It's a great sign, after some lean years with nothing but Luke on the bench LOL
Chopper

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:56 am

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Kobe's killer quote of the night was likening Antawn Jamison to "a cockroach": "He keeps finding the cracks."
Collapse Reply Retw

:man10:

But true.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby denimPortugal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:11 am

We have to keep Tawn next season! Period!
What a consistency! :bow:
denimPortugal

Postby trodgers on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:43 am

February's numbers:
13 games, 25.9 minutes per game
13.2 points, 0.6 assists, 5.3 rebounds
48.5% FGs, 43.2% 3pts, 65.9% FT
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby denimPortugal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:46 am

trodgers wrote:February's numbers:
13 games, 25.9 minutes per game
13.2 points, 0.6 assists, 5.3 rebounds
48.5% FGs, 43.2% 3pts, 65.9% FT

Solid numbers for a 6th man! :man13:
denimPortugal

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:14 am

Tawn still working hard just being Tawn :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 am

I remember not to long ago in this very thread people were calling him Garbage. Glad we didn't just "cut" him like many said.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby charvin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:49 am

I thought that to be absurd. The guy makes minimum salary, is better than a good percentage of FAs, and we want to cut him? In any case, it looks like a consistent rotation coupled with consistent minutes have given him better results.

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I remember not to long ago in this very thread people were calling him Garbage. Glad we didn't just "cut" him like many said.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:31 am

Doc Brown wrote:
KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Kobe's killer quote of the night was likening Antawn Jamison to "a cockroach": "He keeps finding the cracks."
Collapse Reply Retw

But true.

Ouch. :man10:

Or... thanks?...

I don't know. But either way Jamison is a serious master of the baseline. And when people collapse towards him, he leans back and draws a foul while still getting the shot off easily.

If he's willing to come back for the minimum again, I'd love to have him back here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:00 am

^^ Agreed, as mentioned many times, I'd love to have Jamison back for one more year.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Collapse Reply Retw

But true.

tawny montana
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby gcclaker on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:48 pm

What was up with his free throw shooting last night? Normally Jamison is solid. Last night he was either short or steering them in. I agree that he is producing at a good clip. Quickest release on a shot but funky looking as hell.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:40 pm

He still sucks on defense (Which is expected since hes old) but hes been rock solid on offense. Hes filled in nicely in Pau's absence. Not many minimum salaries players can put up the numbers he is putting up right now

Check it

https://twitter.com/brosales12/status/307602301655347201

Jamison's 56.2 True Shooting % the best of his career other than his Sixth Man OF The Year season in Dallas.

^ also with Nash

https://twitter.com/KamBrothers/status/307533461332303874

Things I learned this morning: Antawn Jamison is 6th in the NBA in points per possession as a roll man, at 1.392. BK

https://twitter.com/danielbuerge_LA/status/307551865007140865

In the last seven games Jamison has averaged 15.9 points while shooting 51.9% and the Lakers are 5-2 in those games

http://landolakers.com/2013/03/01/antawn-jamison-offering-lakers-bench-production/

For a while, save a few outbursts here and there — most notably a 33-point effort against Denver on Nov. 30 — Jamison wasn’t putting up enough points to overcome defensive shortcomings and keep him on the floor. So he wasn’t. Over 10 games between December 14 and January 6, Jamison, who before this season had never averaged fewer than the 22.5 minutes a night he played as a rookie in Golden State back in ’98-’99, played a grand total of 26.

After a fifth straight DNP-CD, Jamison, long considered one of the better locker room guys in the league, popped off. He would later apologize for making himself a distraction, but it was clear the relationship between Jamison and Mike D’Antoni wasn’t strong. Like a lot of things, it seems to have improved since that air-clearing January team meeting in Memphis.

“Me and him talked. It was tough at first, but now we have a relationship where if I see something, I can talk to him. He has no problem coming to me like, “Look, your minutes might go down in this game,” or “I’m going to try something new.” That’s what I’ve been accustomed to.”

Since making is way back into the rotation, Jamison has looked much more like the guy management expected. In January, he shot nearly 50 percent from the floor, and in 13 February games averaged 13.2 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 48.5 percent shooting, including 43.2 percent from downtown. Despite his defensive shortcomings, Jamison is boosting the bench, and D’Antoni is frequently keeping him on the floor late in games, with good cause. A lineup of Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, Metta World Peace and Jamison has, according to 82Games.com, been arguably the team’s most productive.

Early in the season, Jamison was deployed primarily as a spot-up shooter, something he can do, but isn’t ideally tailored to his skill set. Now, he’s being put in a wider variety of situations with far better results.

One big reason is Jamison’s ability to move away from the ball. According to Synergy, Thursday against Minnesota Jamison was part of 14 plays, only two of which were in isolation. The rest came on pick-and-rolls, as a cutter, or on the offensive glass. To say the least, this reflects season long trends. Only 1.1 percent of his possessions all year have come in isolation. Meanwhile, 369 of his 448 plays on the season have come on spot ups, cuts, roll situations, offensive rebounds, and in transition. He’s been particularly effective rolling off screens, averaging 1.392 points per possession, 6th best in the NBA.

No wonder Mike D’Antoni seems to love him so much, now.

“He understands spacing, he understands when to cut,” D’Antoni said Thursday. “He’s the type of basketball player that I love. I think the way he plays is easy to play with because you know what he’s doing. He cuts in at the right time. He slips picks and does a lot of things that makes a smart basketball player on the floor.”

Kobe clearly is happy to have him around. ”He’s like a little cockroach,” Bryant cracked after the Minnesota game. “He just keeps finding cracks.”

“He has great timing, and his ability to read the defense. But I think it’s timing more than anything, though. A guy turns his head, and he’s gone. He plays extremely, extremely well off of me. I know as soon as I get loaded up against a double team, I know I can always find him somewhere,” he continued.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/307600323084697601

Of the $140 million he's made in his career, Jamison joked: "I had a ski-mask on for a couple of years. I was robbing people."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:52 pm

And hes 276 points from reaching the 20,000 points plateau. Only 39 other players have done it and 99% of them are Hall of Fame caliber. Pretty insane

Check out the names right on top of him http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... areer.html

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby 432J on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

The Rock wrote:And hes 276 points from reaching the 20,000 points plateau. Only 39 other players have done it and 99% of them are Hall of Fame caliber. Pretty insane

Check out the names right on top of him http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... areer.html

which is why i've maintained for a while now that jamison is a borderline HOF'er

people can hate all they want but the numbers dont lie, and he's quietly put up some pretty good numbers for the past 12-13 years
432J

Re: Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Postby nameant on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Haha....Jamison belongs nowhere near the HOF. Come on...
nameant

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion