Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison To The Lakers?

Postby TIME on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
JGC wrote:You can still have spacing without shooters. (Obviously, having shooters allows you to take better advantage of space).

Can you still shoot a gun without a bullet? (Obviously, having bullets allows you to take better advantage of shooting a gun).

Can you drive a car without tires? (Obviously, having tires allows you to take better advantage of driving).
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Congo Cash on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Good spacing without any shooters :man10: , no further comment needed...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:58 pm

Well, the spacing can be excellent. We can still miss shots, of course.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 am

JGC wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:We really need Jamison now that Shard is off the market.. Already missed out on Dorell Wright.. Not using the MLE - no CJ Watson.. Our spacing is going to be TERRIBLE..

Spacing doesn't HAVE to be terrible IMO just because you don't have elite shooters on the floor. We have a dribble penetrator now in Nash. That will cause the defense to collapse.

You can still have spacing without shooters. (Obviously, having shooters allows you to take better advantage of space).

:man3:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:05 am

KeepBynum wrote:We could still get a decent bench without using the mini MLE.

Resign Ramon Sessions and Jordan Hill.

Sign Grant Hill to vets minimum.

Sign and trade McRoberts to Cleveland for Jamison.

Our bench: Sessions/Goudelock/G.Hill/Jamison/J.Hill

Not bad.

And don't forget to amnesty Blake while you're at it! :man12:

Would love it if all this happened of course.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 am

If there is no spacing, then defenses don't have to collapse. They're already collapsed, and everyone is easily guardable.

Shooters are absolutely necessary.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Alcindor on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:53 am

we should use the MMLE and give him a one year deal, before the supertax kicks in. We'd have his bird rights the following summer and revist a new deal then
Alcindor

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:12 am

I agree. The guy still has enough game to be the leading scorer off the bench.

In the playoffs, bring him in when Gasol goes MIA.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 am

There are plenty of non Mini-MLE signings that could help this team.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:11 am

Antawn Jamison has expressed interest in joining the Lakers for the veterans minimum if he isn't traded to Brooklyn in a sign & trade.

Source: My Sports Legion

:jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:12 am

Not sure about that source, but I hope it's true.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:22 am

He's still a starting caliber 4, no? If we get him, I'd start him and trade gasol for a real nice sf and a bench scoring/shooting perimeter player. Jamison/nice sf/nice bench scorer >>> gasol/mini mle sf/SnT bench players.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby khmrP on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:22 am

KeepBynum wrote:
Antawn Jamison has expressed interest in joining the Lakers for the veterans minimum if he isn't traded to Brooklyn in a sign & trade.

Source: My Sports Legion

:jam2:

now this looks like a ploy to get more money IMO, its his opt, he doesn't have to agree to a S&T. Also wtf is NJ going to give Clev, if Jamison wants bank than obvious choice is Humphries the very same guy Clev didn't want in that 4way deal.
khmrP

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am

Weezy wrote:Not sure about that source, but I hope it's true.

Me, too!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:25 am

Punk-101 wrote:He's still a starting caliber 4, no? If we get him, I'd start him and trade gasol for a real nice sf and a bench scoring/shooting perimeter player. Jamison/nice sf/nice bench scorer >>> gasol/mini mle sf/SnT bench players.

This. He'd be an excellent fit next to Bynum and is capable of logging big minutes. Gasol could fetch us something great at SF like Deng or Iguodala.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:27 am

That would be fantastic.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:27 am

The purpose of getting Jamison is to improve the bench not start him. I was all for trading Pau before we got Nash, but not now. Iggy and Deng are nice players, but I'd rather have Pau.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby khmrP on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:28 am

therealdeal wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:He's still a starting caliber 4, no? If we get him, I'd start him and trade gasol for a real nice sf and a bench scoring/shooting perimeter player. Jamison/nice sf/nice bench scorer >>> gasol/mini mle sf/SnT bench players.

This. He'd be an excellent fit next to Bynum and is capable of logging big minutes. Gasol could fetch us something great at SF like Deng or Iguodala.

disagree, Jamison got owned in the playoffs the 1st yr he got traded to Clev when they matched up against Bos. Deng/Iggy with Jamison is NOT better than Pau/Jamison and some mini MLE sf. Deng/Iggy doesn't provide any additional spacing while I do want Jamison, I do not want him as a STARTER, he is that much worse of a defender than Pau and also not a very good rebounder either.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 am

KeepBynum wrote:The purpose of getting Jamison is to improve the bench not start him. I was all for trading Pau before we got Nash, but not now.

Pay the minimum for a guy like Jamison who can give you 15 points a night and 6-7 boards or 19 million for a guy who gives you 17 points and 10 boards? It's a no brainer. Let Gasol and his contract go. Bring back Iguodala who is cheaper. Let go of Artest who is also insanely expensive for his production.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:31 am

I don't know about starting caliber. I have a concern that he's a relatively high use player who is less effective than others who would play bench roles. But...if he's playing against second stringers and is asked to be the primary scoring big, he might be incredibly productive.

Jamison last year:
Scoring Efficiency: 5.9
Passing Efficiency: 2.4
Hustle Efficiency: 2.9
Offensive Efficiency: 63.5

Compare these to LA's numbers from last year's bigs:
Gasol's Scoring Efficiency: 5.8 to lead the PFs
Gasol's passing: 2.9; McRoberts was 2.5; Murphy was 2.2
Hustle: Hill led the team; Jamison beats only Murphy
Overall: Gasol 92, Hill 81, Jamison 64, McRoberts 63, Murphy 51
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:33 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

disagree, Jamison got owned in the playoffs the 1st yr he got traded to Clev when they matched up against Bos. Deng/Iggy with Jamison is NOT better than Pau/Jamison and some mini MLE sf. Deng/Iggy doesn't provide any additional spacing while I do want Jamison, I do not want him as a STARTER, he is that much worse of a defender than Pau and also not a very good rebounder either.

Deng is a capable scorer, an elite defender, and last season shot almost 37% from deep. Iguodala is one of the league's premiere wing defenders, a capable scorer, a terrific athlete, and shot 39% from deep. Each of them only makes about 5 million more than Artest who isn't a capable scorer, isn't a terrific athlete, and shot only 30% from deep.

A lineup of Nash/Bryant/Deng or Iguodala/Jamison/Bynum is far more balanced than Nash/Bryant/Artest/Gasol/Bynum with Jamison off the bench.

And that's not to say him off the bench wouldn't be incredible, but if we could get that package back for Gasol you do it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:34 am

What are gasol's playoff #s trav?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:35 am

therealdeal wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:The purpose of getting Jamison is to improve the bench not start him. I was all for trading Pau before we got Nash, but not now.

Pay the minimum for a guy like Jamison who can give you 15 points a night and 6-7 boards or 19 million for a guy who gives you 17 points and 10 boards? It's a no brainer. Let Gasol and his contract go. Bring back Iguodala who is cheaper. Let go of Artest who is also insanely expensive for his production.

I don't see it as a no brainer. If we can get Jamison for the vets minimum then why not just keep Pau? It'll vastly improve our bench. I know you really like Iggy, but I don't. I think he's overrated imo. He's a terrific defender, but offensively he's very inconsistent. He only averages 12 ppg. He's a good player, but is he worth giving up Pau? No way IMO.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:41 am

KeepBynum wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I don't see it as a no brainer. If we can get Jamison for the vets minimum then why not just keep Pau? It'll vastly improve our bench. I know you really like Iggy, but I don't. I think he's overrated imo. He's a terrific defender, but offensively he's very inconsistent. He only averages 12 ppg. He's a good player, but is he worth giving up Pau? No way IMO.

I don't see the Lakers paying the bill on a team like that. If they keep everyone on the bench and bring in a few guys for the minimum we're talking somewhere in the 90-100 million dollars for the team. I would love seeing Jamison off the bench in a Lamar Odom role, but money is becoming a huge issue for this team with the acquisition of Nash. If you can balance out the team with a better SF that's a bit cheaper than Gasol, who also addresses our need for athleticism and speed, how do you not do it?

As for Iguodala I like him as our team's Pippen. He's a fantastic defender and we don't need him to be a scorer like he is in Philadelphia. We need him to pick up slack only when Kobe isn't in the game from the outside. He's a better creator than Artest by so far a margin that it's not even worth getting into. For our team those 12 points a night would look a hell of a lot better than Ron's 7.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am

Is no one else concerned that Pau has dropped 5ppg and 8%fg two years in a row in the playoffs? Does Nash prevent this? If so, how?
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion