Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison To The Lakers?

Postby Stearnfxr on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:55 pm

You can run pick n roll or Bynum post ups with nash because his shooting and passing has to be respected. Add a defensive athletic SF like Grant Hill whose shooting has to be respected and this team is unstoppable whether by post up or pnr. Preferably we'll get a brilliant blend of both and that's why I think Nash said he was eager to play with Bynum/Gasol/Kobe.
Stearnfxr

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:40 pm

I'm hoping Humphries goes to which ever team (Bobcats or Nets) that will be the deciding factor for Jamison to come here.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Probably need this a lot more than the Dwight trade.
JLaker17

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Lakers Target Bigman

Dwight Howard isn't the only big man on the minds of the Los Angeles Lakers' front office staff these days.

One source familiar with the trade negotiations said Thursday that calls between the Houston Rockets and Lakers discussing a three-way trade have cooled, while the Atlanta Hawks appear to be gaining steam in their pursuit of Howard.

With Howard's eventual destination still anybody's guess, the Lakers are turning their attention to adding a backup big man or two.

The Lakers remain in negotiations with Jordan Hill, who averaged 4.7 points and 4.4 rebounds in seven regular-season games with L.A. after being acquired from the Houston Rockets at the trade deadline in March. Hill's agent, Bill Duffy, told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Wednesday that there was still some distance between the two sides, but he planned to circle back with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak before Hill made his final decision. The Lakers hold partial Bird rights to Hill and can offer him a maximum of $3,632,450 per season for up to five years.

Aside from Hill, appearing on the Lakers' "short list" of names they are hoping to add to the roster for the veteran's minimum are Antawn Jamison, Elton Brand and Jermaine O'Neal, according to a source familiar with the team's thinking.

The Lakers also have the "mini" mid-level exception available to them, beginning at $3 million a season, but prefer to hold off on using that in case a Howard deal goes down involving multiple players and they are left needing to fill a glaring void.

Not only is adding a backup big man a priority because signing Hill might not work out, but because Josh McRoberts and his expiring $3.1 million contract have drawn interest from other teams in potential Howard trade scenarios.

Jamison, 36, averaged 17.2 points and 6.3 rebounds last year for Cleveland in his 14th season in the league, but shot a career-low 40.3 percent from the field.

He was acquired by the Cavaliers via trade in 2009-10, the last season Lakers coach Mike Brown was at the helm for the Cavs. The Lakers are in competition with several other teams for Jamison's services, including Brooklyn, Golden State and Charlotte, and a source close to Jamison said on Thursday the Nets appeared to be his preferred destination at the moment.

The final one-year, $18 million remaining on Brand's contract was amnestied by Philadelphia on Thursday. Brand, 32, averaged 11.0 points and 7.2 rebounds for the 76ers last season. Brand will be first made available to teams under the salary cap through the waiver process, with under-the-cap teams able to bid on him. Dallas is under the cap and has interest in Brand, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

If Brand clears waivers, he will be free to sign as a free agent wherever he chooses and could decide a return to L.A., where he played for the Clippers for seven seasons, would be in order.

O'Neal, 33, played just 25 games for Boston last season, averaging 5.0 points and 5.4 rebounds before having his year end because of left wrist surgery. The market for O'Neal is not as robust as it is for Jamison and Brand and the Lakers figure he could be worth the risk if he can come into camp healthy.

O'Neal recently traveled to Germany to visit Dr. Peter Wehling, the same doctor who Kobe Bryant has consulted in recent years. O'Neal is also a member of the famed 1996 draft class, along with Bryant and Steve Nash. Bryant said that draft connection helped in convincing Nash to want to come to the Lakers.

Source: ESPN
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:23 pm

Signing Jamison needs to happen now....same with Grant hill signing. Sign both of them and don't even think twice. I like that Josh McRoberts deal is being mentioned....i'd love to move him and sign Jamison or re-sign Jordan Hill.
FabFourLakers

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:25 pm

I would rather have Scola or Brand over Jordan Hill.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby revgen on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:26 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I would rather have Scola or Brand over Jordan Hill.

I could see Brand coming here since he's friends with Ron. I don't see Scola doing it.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Why does everyone have such a hard-on for Jamison? He averaged 17 PPG last season because he chucked up 16 FGA on 48 TS%. Unless he's coming here for basically nothing he doesn't do much except make us older.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby revgen on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:29 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Why does everyone have such a hard-on for Jamison? He averaged 17 PPG last season because he chucked up 16 FGA on 48 TS%. Unless he's coming here for basically nothing he doesn't do much except make us older.

He shot 48 TS% because he's not a guy who should ever be a 1st option scorer. He's a bench scorer or a 3rd option guy.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Barnstable on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:30 pm

revgen wrote:

I could see Brand coming here since he's friends with Ron. I don't see Scola doing it.

Can't even get Scola as far as I understand it, unless no other team under the cap wants him, because teams under the cap have first pick of Amnestied players.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Let's be serious Kyrie Irving is running the show in Cleveland not Jamison. And he's been inefficient his entire career it's nothing new.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:32 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Why does everyone have such a hard-on for Jamison? He averaged 17 PPG last season because he chucked up 16 FGA on 48 TS%. Unless he's coming here for basically nothing he doesn't do much except make us older.

You do realize he was on the Cleveland Cavaliers right? He was forced to be a #1 option. In L.A. he'd be the 5th option. It's a no brainer.

He's better than any of our players outside of the Fab 4.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby lakerfansd on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Barnstable wrote:
revgen wrote:

Can't even get Scola as far as I understand it, unless no other team under the cap wants him, because teams under the cap have first pick of Amnestied players.

Dallas is going to get either Scola or Brand. The other will go to some other team under the cap no doubt.
lakerfansd

Postby Plot on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:40 pm

The article says Jamison is favoring the Nets. It also sounds to me that Jermaine O'Neal is the last resort on the Lakers short list.

Perhaps Scola could slip through:
David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt
Asking around, not as much interest among uncapped teams for Scola bid as you'd think. Minimum bid is $3+ million in year one, $10M total.

As @EricPincus pointed out first, under rules, teams have to give Scola at least the full unguaranteed amount of last yr of his deal--$10M.
Plot

Postby Finwë on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Plot wrote:The article says Jamison is favoring the Nets. It also sounds to me that Jermaine O'Neal is the last resort on the Lakers short list.

Perhaps Scola could slip through:
Asking around, not as much interest among uncapped teams for Scola bid as you'd think. Minimum bid is $3+ million in year one, $10M total.

As @EricPincus pointed out first, under rules, teams have to give Scola at least the full unguaranteed amount of last yr of his deal--$10M.

I posted an article by Pincus on it in the offseason overhaul thread.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Why the heck would Jamison go to the Nets esp since they're most likely gonna re-sign Kris Humphries? Ugh, why can't we get good role players?! :bang:
FabFourLakers

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Jermaine is still playing? I give the Lakers more credit than that, they aren't stupid enough to think he is the type of player this team needs.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:07 pm

missing out on everyone bc FO blinded by Dwight. :bang:
Ariza3

Re: Jamison

Postby JUST-MING on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Ariza3 wrote:missing out on everyone bc FO blinded by Dwight.

I’d think it’s moreso because they are only offering the veteran’s minimum ($1.35 million).

Mike Bresnahan wrote:After allocating about $27 million (over the next three years) to Nash in a trade with Phoenix last week, the Lakers are increasingly reluctant to use the "mini" mid-level exception, their only free-agent tool. It tops out at $3.1 million next season, but the Lakers are hoping to sign free agents to fill out their bench by using only the veteran's-minimum contract, which tops out at $1.35 million next season.
JUST-MING

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 pm

If they can sign someone decent for the mini they need to do it. It makes zero sense to be trying to win now and then neglect spending a few extra dollars if they can get someone serviceable. As it stands right now this team just doesn't have the depth to even get out of the West.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby MadMax on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Ariza3 wrote:missing out on everyone bc FO blinded by Dwight. :bang:

Blinded by the Dwight,
revved up like a deuce,
another runner in the night
Blinded by the Dwight,
revved up like a deuce,
MadMax

Re: Bench

Postby JUST-MING on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:34 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:As it stands right now this team just doesn't have the depth to even get out of the West.

Head coach is a bigger problem than the bench. I’d rather have Phil Jackson over any free agent target. As it stands right now, Gregg Popovich makes San Antonio better than the Lakers. George Karl nearly coached Denver over the Lakers.
JUST-MING

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 pm

MadMax wrote:

Blinded by the Dwight,
revved up like a deuce,
Blinded by the Dwight,
revved up like a deuce,

:man10:
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 pm

Bring Jordan back..Get Jamison & 1 of Scola or Brand & dump Pau for Iggy.. Makes too much sense

Scola/Jamison is better than Metta/(Grant Hill?)
lakersin4

Postby the_Dude on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:20 pm

MadMax wrote:

Blinded by the Dwight,
revved up like a deuce,
Blinded by the Dwight,
revved up like a deuce,

Brilliance