Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Antawn Jamison To Lakers?

Franchises interested in reaching the NBA Finals realize the importance of having a wise, crafty leader on the floor. These veterans are not always necessarily the best players on the court, but the ones that come with invaluable experience from their lengthy careers. These types of players possess high basketball IQs and ooze confidence.

The Los Angeles Lakers are certainly one franchise that recognizes the importance of having veteran forces on their roster.

The Lakers completed a sign-and-trade deal with the Phoenix Suns to acquire 38-year-old Steve Nash on Wednesday night. The two- time NBA MVP has been in the league for 16 years and is now looking to help direct the Lakers towards their 18th NBA Championship.

Nash's contract with the Lakers is slated for three-years, $27 million and in return for the trade, the Suns received two first round drafts in 2013 and 2015 and another two second round picks in 2014 and 2015.

Los Angeles is now looking to add even more battle-proven players, showing interest in signing unrestricted free agents Grant Hill and Antawn Jamison.

Hill, who played with Nash in Phoenix last season, would provide defensive prowess and important minutes off the bench behind Metta World Peace and Kobe Bryant. Hill, 39, has suffered many injuries over his long career, but recently had platelet-enrichment treatment for his knee. The treatment done in Germany is notoriously accredited for healing Bryant's knee last year, allowing him to have another huge scoring year with the Lakers.

A source close to Hill said that the aging small forward was deciding between either joining the Lakers or retiring, according to New York Daily News' Frank Isola.

Isola posted on Twitter: "Grant Hill will either join Steve Nash and the Lakers or retire, a source close to the veteran forward told me."

Hill is a very cerebral player capable of providing the Lakers with mistake-free basketball and consistent perimeter shooting of off the bench. Last season he provided Phoenix with 28 minutes per game, while averaging 10.1 points, 2.2 assists, and 3.5 rebounds.

Even though Hill started 46 of his 49 games with the Suns this past season, he would be much more effective off the bench. Signing Hill is a smart move for the Lakers, who currently have to decide on re-signing forwards Matt Barnes and Troy Murphy.

Jamison is also another proven forward that the Lakers are considering during this free agency period.

Sam Amico of the FoxSportsOhio recently reported on Los Angeles' interest in Jamison through his twitter account: "Lakers also expected to meet with Antawn Jamison, probably early next week."

Jamison, at age 36, proved that he can still put up good scoring numbers despite the aging process. This past season he started all 65 games for Cleveland while putting up 17.2 points and 6.3 rebounds per game.

Other than Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, the Lakers do not have another serious post presence at the power forward and center position. Jamison's inside out game is exactly what Los Angeles needs to assist Bynum and Gasol down low.

One of his best qualities is his ability to stretch the floor as a big man. Another power foward that can shoot the ball next to Gasol would be a phenomenal asset to Bryant especially.

Often Bryant faces double teams on the perimeter, in which he sometimes dishes the ball to Gasol for a look at an open jump shot. Having another paint player that can effectively hit open shots created from Bryant's double teams would make opposing teams think twice about their defensive strategy.

Source:
Texas Lakers Fan

Re: Antawn Jamison To The Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:13 pm

why would you post this like it actually happened? it's speculation.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:16 pm

therealdeal wrote:why would you post this like it actually happened? it's speculation.

I didn't.
Texas Lakers Fan

Re: Antawn Jamison To The Lakers?

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Misleading without the -?- in the tittle
D.B. Cooper

Postby Pig Miller on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:35 pm

well at this point, we're looking for cheap labor, so sure, why not. but we need to sign up jordan hill and save our 3M slot for a shooter.
Pig Miller

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:47 pm

D.B. Cooper wrote:Misleading without the -?- in the tittle
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:15 pm

good....while we also mentioned Lewis, at least Jamison never quite on the cavs nor did he ever asked to be traded during his time there. He played hard all season long, thats the kind of attitude we need in players.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:24 pm

How many open roster spots do we have right now? Seems like we're interested in Jamison, Grant Hill, Jordan Hill, maybe a few others, but we don't seem to have much room as of now. If I'm doing this right we look like this right now

Nash/Morris
Kobe/Goudelock/DJO (most likely)
MWP/Ebanks/Barnes(?)
Pau/McRoberts
Bynum

I can't remember if Barnes is still under contract, I know we're trying to keep Ebanks, trying to re-sign Hill for backup C, Sessions, Murphy most likely gone. I would definitely like to add Jamison, guy can still play, would be a big upgrade to our bench, hopefully add Grant Hill, and while I'm talking pipe Delonte West.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:25 pm

RE: Jamison...he's an upgrade to Murphy, at least.
kray28

Postby kray28 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:28 pm

Weezy wrote:How many open roster spots do we have right now? Seems like we're interested in Jamison, Grant Hill, Jordan Hill, maybe a few others, but we don't seem to have much room as of now.

Players under contract:

Kobe
Pau
Drew
Blake
Nash - TBA
McRib
Glock
Morris
Odom

Total - 9

We have 3 active roster spots to fill, 4 if you consider that Morris is a deep bencher that never dresses.
kray28

Postby GoldHammish on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 pm

Weezy wrote:How many open roster spots do we have right now? Seems like we're interested in Jamison, Grant Hill, Jordan Hill, maybe a few others, but we don't seem to have much room as of now.

Guys currently under contract:
Nash/Blake/Morris
Bryant/Goudelock
Artest/Eyenga
Gasol/McFly
Bynum

That's 10. So we have 3 more spots open for our active roster? I'd like to see those go to those 3 go to Hill, Hill and Delonte West if we can swing a S&T Sessions for him, and I suppose DJO on the inactive list. Jamison would be my next choice after West.
GoldHammish

Postby khmrP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:44 pm

i dont know why people want west, we have 4 backup guards right now and they all undersize just like West. Jamison is the PF that we need, the scorer off the bench, West is NOT that guy.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Oh ya I forgot about Eyenga. As for West, I see him as a backup to Nash, much preferred to Morris, that's why I suggested him.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 pm

We need a PG/SG defender, a SG/SF who can shoot 3s, and a stretch 4 and we're set

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dj vitus on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:17 pm

khmrP wrote:i dont know why people want west, we have 4 backup guards right now and they all undersize just like West. Jamison is the PF that we need, the scorer off the bench, West is NOT that guy.

How about both? :man1: We need West's defense and Jamison's outside shooting. West with the vet min and Jamison with the mMLE.

Nash/West
Kobe/Glock
Hill/Metta
Pau/Jamison
Bynum/Hill

:bow:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:21 pm

dj vitus wrote:
khmrP wrote:i dont know why people want west, we have 4 backup guards right now and they all undersize just like West. Jamison is the PF that we need, the scorer off the bench, West is NOT that guy.

How about both? :man1: We need West's defense and Jamison's outside shooting. West with the vet min and Jamison with the mMLE.

Nash/West
Kobe/Glock
Hill/Metta
Pau/Jamison
Bynum/Hill

:bow:

MWP should start over hill. We need to try and limit Hill's minutes as much as possible. That is if we get him and he doesn't retire.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Our backup guards under contract: Blake, Morris, Goudelock. Darius Johnson-Odom isn't technically signed yet.

West is backup 1-2 guard, able to play either position effectively. They're all undersized, eh?

PGs:
Blake- 6'3" http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Steve-Blake-1700/
Morris- 6'3.25" http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Darius-Morris-6343/

SGs:
Goudelock- 6'1" http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/And ... lock-6340/
Johnson-Odom- 6'1" http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dar ... Odom-6314/

West isn't terribly tall and other reports have him listed at closer to 6'2". However, to say all of our backup guards are short is misleading. Our backup PGs are actually fairly tall for their position. Our backup SGs are the ones who are short.

The reason he's important is less because of how many players we have there, but how effective they are. And who cares about his size if he's effective? Nate Robinson is an effective scorer and he's close to 5'9". West is an effective defender and an effective scoring option when need be. He's proven and he'd be a great addition.

We have guys at the backup 4 already in Hill and McRoberts anyway. They're effective enough, why add Jamison above someone like West who would deepen an incredibly unproven back-up backcourt?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:35 pm

McScrub is terrible. We definitely need a better backup 4.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby last stand on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Actually josh would flourish with Nash. He could shoot before LAmaybe he'll be more comfortable now

All I'd want out of jaimison is to camp the 3 and finish at the basket occasionally
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby I Am Cornholio on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:45 pm

therealdeal wrote:why would you post this like it actually happened? it's speculation.

why would we want jamison? :bang:
"I am The Great Cornholio
I need TP for my bunghole..."

Bungoli-oooooooooo-oooooooo-oooooooooooooooooooo

I Am Cornholio

Postby Center Court on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 pm

damn I didn't realize he still puts up 17 a game....

do want.

J Hill/Jameson/Grant Hill/Randy Foye/Sesh would be great bench. Hopefully, we resign Sesh and amnesty Blake
Center Court

Postby khmrP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:
We have guys at the backup 4 already in Hill and McRoberts anyway. They're effective enough, why add Jamison above someone like West who would deepen an incredibly unproven back-up backcourt?

if you gona assume we dont have Odom (mgmt. didn't pay 500k for nothing, safe to assume he's gona stay) on contract yet than assume the same for Hill and Mcbob sucks, send his arse back to Indy. Height matters when you guys are wanting west for his supposed D to be the backup 2, whats a 6'2 backup SG gona do?
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:53 pm

KeepBynum wrote:McScrub is terrible. We definitely need a better backup 4.

Clever nickname, and you're wrong.

McRoberts stats as a Pacer in 2010/2011:

7.4 points
5.3 rebounds (1.5 offensive and 3.8 defensive)
2.1 assists
0.8 blocks
0.7 steals
54.7 FG%
38.3 3PT%
74 FT%
22:11 minutes played in 72 games

Not astounding numbers, but very solid for a backup player. He has talent and ability, but he was misused terribly in LA. He did not have consistent playing time and lost confidence as the season progressed. However, you could definitely see flashes of good play even as a Laker:

Not to mention he's a terrific athlete, which Nash will love:

In games of over 20 minutes in LA:
5.8 points
5.8 rebounds
1.5 assists
0.7 blocks

Very close to the production he put up in Indiana and pretty decent numbers for a cheap backup guy behind Pau Gasol, one of the best big men in the game.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:53 pm

I Am Cornholio wrote:

why would we want jamison? :bang:

yeah who wants a guy that can give you 17/10 on any given night :bang:
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:
He has talent and ability, but he was misused terribly in LA. He did not have consistent playing time and lost confidence as the season progressed.

did our coaching staff change?
khmrP

Next

Return to NBA Discussion