Is anyone concerned with our lack of speed?

Is anyone concerned with our lack of speed?

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:09 pm

We just signed Steve Blake and conventional wisdom points towards Fisher coming back. With that said, we'll be over the cap and strung out on minimal contracts. With Farmar gone and Brown possibly out the door, we've gone from having a quick second unit to one of the slowest in the league. In fact, we might have the SLOWEST team in the NBA.

We absolutely have to address this. I was disappointed to see Crittenton off the SPL roster. Unless we want to convert fully into a punishing half-court style of team, I think something has to happen. Hopefully Ebanks gives us that Ariza type transition game off the bench (unlikely in rookie year on a PJ team). We're going to need something like that.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Re: Is anyone concerned with our lack of speed?

Postby AIRBROWN on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Agreed

Our speed was Farmar and Brown and Trevor off the bench
AIRBROWN

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:13 pm

I do agree, it's a bit of a concern.

This is one of the reasons I'd like Shannon Brown to return at a reasonable price. Although it seems more and more like that won't happen.

Farmar and Brown were two guys who really could push tempo if we wanted to.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Nashty Gal on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:15 pm

i hope, i hope we can still get brown to come back. ugh stupid shannon opting out

The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby John3:16 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:20 pm

It can be a problem, but the game slows down so much in the playoffs, it won't be a deal breaker. We're also a LONG team. I'll take length over speed any day (that's what she said). :man12:
John3:16

Postby kevin_401 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:21 pm

Nobody has won the ring playing run and gun up tempo basketball, If u miss shots it usually leads fast breaks at the other end and also causes turnovers if u dont have a good ball handler..

Triangle offense is slow poison, it kills by putting the opponent to sleep with good post up shots.

We just need a defensive farmar replacement who can handle the quicker gaurds. Hope we sign Tony Allen
kevin_401

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:23 pm

It's a good case for bringing Shannon back. Also, Blake isn't young, but he's pretty quick isn't he? I'm not super concerned though, I don't think any speed teams ever win titles, and I don't see any of the title contenders hurting us with their speed, veteran teams win rings, we don't play fast break ball really either.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:37 pm

not really since the Lakers aren't a run and gun team like that.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Big concern, since that was already our weakness. As it stands, Kobe is the fastest guy on our team by far.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby TheOp on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:48 pm

Blake isnt really that slow, he can push the tempo very easily and effectively if we asked him too. Hes not blazing fast, but not many people are.
TheOp

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:50 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:not really since the Lakers aren't a run and gun team like that.

Speed is more than just scoring in transition. It's taking people off the dribble, it's getting into passing lanes, etc.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Armani on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:22 pm

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:Big concern, since that was already our weakness. As it stands, Kobe is the fastest guy on our team by far.

This... and he's entering his 15th year.

I can see the Lakers re-signing Brown for this issue... also, Ebanks might crack our rotation, but that seems like a longshot as well.
Armani

Postby Johnnyboy on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:27 pm

lucky for us this team doesn't have many weaknesses but speed is def. one of them. We don't have a slasher and we are slow. Jerry west has the same concerns. So if the logo feels the need to address it, I think its a valid point....That being said, if speed is our only weakness we are sitting pretty.
www.CheckYourMD.com
Johnnyboy

Postby BigWorm on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:43 pm

not as long as we run the O right it will keep team from transiton baskets...and we still got enough team speed to play top notch D...so no not really.
BigWorm

Postby TIME on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 pm

John3:16 wrote:It can be a problem, but the game slows down so much in the playoffs, it won't be a deal breaker. We're also a LONG team. I'll take length over speed any day

This.

The team is being put together for the playoffs. Speed is not insignificant, it's just a luxury. What matters more is length, skill, toughness, teamwork, and heart. We still have more of those qualities than any other team we will face in the 2011 playoffs. My main concerns remain Kobe and Andrew's health.
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby eNlight on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 pm

we will be fine. even if we lose to a run and gun team in the regular season, thats just the regular season. teams like phoenix are dying and they won't be much of a threat to us in a 7 game series. i'm sure we'll adjust our defense in a way to stop the transitioning offense. we'll be fine without the speed.

imo, i thought the speed of jordan and farmar were inconsistent for this team and was ultimately why our bench was one of the worst in the league this year. we are now adding more offensive fire power and better man to man defenders to this team on our bench. if anything, we possibly don't need agility on this team
eNlight

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Not concerned at all. Defense is what wins championships. Not that many title-winning teams have relied on speed to beat their opponents, the "Showtime" era Lakers being a notable exception (especially the 1986-1987 squad), but that's because they had Magic at PG and a bunch of HOF's, and even they were very solid defensively, despite having the reputation of being an offensive team.
Last edited by mamatheregoesthatman on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby blakeruns on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:56 pm

it's something to keep an eye on, but not a major cause for concern.

it may cause us to lose some :bang: games in november and february, but in april/may/june, i have confidence in our style of ball.
keepin it fresh eight days a week
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator

Postby Armani on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:06 pm

blakeruns wrote:it's something to keep an eye on, but not a major cause for concern.

According to your SN, it wouldn't be a major concern, would it? :man11:
Armani

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:not really since the Lakers aren't a run and gun team like that.

Speed is more than just scoring in transition. It's taking people off the dribble, it's getting into passing lanes, etc.

Ron was considered to bulky and slow yet gets a lot of steals. The Lakers didn't have a lot of speed at all in the past 3 seasons yet we got into passing lanes just fine. Jordy and Shannon had the speed on the team. Also, Sasha could push it pretty well. However, the team as a whole didn't have it yet they rotated on defense very well. Our speed guys Jordy and SHannon didn't even get a lot of steals nor get a great deal of fast breaks I would wager LO had more fastbreak chances than them.

Ball movement in the halfcourt set is what we need, being able to pass into the post and move off the ball. Like I said, we are not a run and gun team like that on either side of the ball.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby thkthebest on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:36 pm

It's somewhat of a concern. We were looking slow last season, and we haven't gotten any faster.

With all the talk about working things in the halfcourt, that's fine and all, but having speed is still important. Sure, the game might slow down in the playoffs, but transition buckets, transition defense (crucial), dribble penetration, ability to stay in front of your man, etc. are all aspects of basketball. You can't just brush it aside.

What I noticed is that everyone is mentioning our offense. As long as we run our offense, they won't get many transition opportunities. I think that's the wrong mindset. Offense comes and goes. Defense doesn't.

Besides, speed helps in both departments.

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:Speed is more than just scoring in transition. It's taking people off the dribble, it's getting into passing lanes, etc.

Ron was considered to bulky and slow yet gets a lot of steals. The Lakers didn't have a lot of speed at all in the past 3 seasons yet we got into passing lanes just fine. Jordy and Shannon had the speed on the team. Also, Sasha could push it pretty well. However, the team as a whole didn't have it yet they rotated on defense very well. Our speed guys Jordy and SHannon didn't even get a lot of steals nor get a great deal of fast breaks I would wager LO had more fastbreak chances than them.

Ball movement in the halfcourt set is what we need, being able to pass into the post and move off the ball. Like I said, we are not a run and gun team like that on either side of the ball.

Lakers were actually one of the faster teams with the exception of last season.

In the first year we got Gasol, we were 6th in pace. That would have likely been higher if we had Gasol since the start of the season. When we won the first championship, we were 5th in pace.

Last season was the first time we were kind of slow, and last season, we were 14th.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby thkthebest on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:37 pm

What I also noticed is that people are mistaking speed as running and gunning. Those two are different. It's one thing to have speed. It's another thing to run n gun.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Doesn't Steve Blake bring us speed?
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:52 pm

As long as we rotate on defense quick enough we'll be fine. It'd be nice to have a team that can run up and down the court and move quick on the floor in the half court for us fans but defense wins championships.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:07 am

M4mb4 24 wrote:Doesn't Steve Blake bring us speed?

:man10: amphetamines?
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion