are the lakers starting to take a backseat to the clippers?

Re: are the laker starting to take a backseat to the clippers?

Postby JGC on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 am

The only team I really don't want to win is the Clippers. If the Lakers aren't going to win it, I really only care that the Clippers do not.
JGC

Postby DarthRekal on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:43 am

JGC wrote:The only team I really don't want to win is the Clippers. If the Lakers aren't going to win it, I really only care that the Clippers do not.

and BOSTON.. in fact i RATHER the Clippers than BOSTON :mad1:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby DarthRekal on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:45 am

JGC wrote: 17-game win streak by any team including ours to be an impressive feat because well, it is an impressive feat considering it has only happened 3 times in NBA history. And we know history!

i call shenannigans .. i seen way to many a 20 game win streak for it to only happen three times?? :man3:

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby JGC on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:55 am

DarthRekal wrote:
JGC wrote: 17-game win streak by any team including ours to be an impressive feat because well, it is an impressive feat considering it has only happened 3 times in NBA history. And we know history!

i call shenannigans .. i seen way to many a 20 game win streak for it to only happen three times?? :man3:

Actually, you're right. I had the stat confused.

There have been a total of 16 other instances of teams having winning streaks of 17 games or more. The stat I confused it with is that only 3 teams in NBA history have ever recorded a perfect, undefeated month.

Even still, to do something that has only been done 16 times in the history of the league is impressive. And to think they have only allowed more than 100 points just THREE times in that span, and won 11 of those 17 games by 12 points or more. Wow. Sickening. Ugh.

And what do you mean "way too many 20 game win streaks for it to happen only 3 times"? There have only been 3 streaks of 20 or more. Haha.
JGC

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am

DarthRekal wrote:

"shenannigans" ?? Whoa!! Easy Darth this is supposed to be a friendly forum for Lakers fans to all get together and discuss issues in a gentlemanly and gentlewomanly manner. No need to get so nasty and abrasive about it...... Wow! :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby 432J on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:26 am

didn't the rockets win a bunch of games in a row a few years ago?

wasn't it over 20?
432J

Postby JGC on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:40 am

432J wrote:didn't the rockets win a bunch of games in a row a few years ago?

wasn't it over 20?

Yeah I think it was like 22. Crazy.
JGC

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:00 pm

Streak effing needs to end Friday. Not sooner. Emphatically :boxing1: :jam2:

Is that possible if both squads play at B+ to A- graded level on the night and are at full strength....no foul trouble no injuries?

What if they both have "great" games worthy of each's potential? Can we win emphatically? That's tough.
LTLakerFan

Postby revgen on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Besides Deandre Jordan, Griffin, and CP3, the Clippers are mostly 30 year olds. Butler, Barnes, Odom, Billups, Crawford, etc.

Without all the veteran depth they have, I don't think their core is all that impressive.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Hmm...Revgen... Not sure if serious....

you can say the same thing about the Hheat - 3 star level players surrounded by a bunch of over-the-hill vets. Yet those are the best teams in the league right now. It is a good mix, and like with the Heat and the 08 Celts, everyone had bought in and sacrificed for the team and they are fun to watch, and have bench players that can't be guarded by most teams' back ups -- Bledsoe and Crawford.

They also have several former lakers who are hungry and who are good teammates for a championship team -- Barnes, LO, Ronny (all with significant playoff experience), plus Chanuncey.

They are stacked and to me, favored over OKC.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby JGC on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:35 pm

^ I think he was talking about their core though. Miami's core is impressive. What is the Clippers core exactly? Griffin and CP3?

I don't necessarily agree with revgen's comments as I do think supremely deep teams can win, but I get his point.
JGC

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:53 pm

I see the point - the bench is extremely impressive and the deepest and most experienced in the league.

As for the core - I don't think the Heat's core is all that. Wade is now very inconsistent, injury prone, and Bosh is still soft and streaky. Lebron is a superstar, but only a champ because of the role players he has, whom he elevated.

CP3 is the same. The MVP right now who is only better because of the guys around him. Jordan is getting better and knows his role. Griffin is soft and inconsistent, much like Bosh.

Is Miami's core better? Sure. But is the Clips core average? No. All game changers.

So if the point is that Griffin and Jordan won"t beat the lakers in a series. I agree. But CP3, bledsoe, billups, crawford, and butler will. So they should still be feared. For this season anyway.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:08 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:

:man3: Wow.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JGC on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:18 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I see the point - the bench is extremely impressive and the deepest and most experienced in the league.

As for the core - I don't think the Heat's core is all that. Wade is now very inconsistent, injury prone, and Bosh is still soft and streaky. Lebron is a superstar, but only a champ because of the role players he has, whom he elevated.

CP3 is the same. The MVP right now who is only better because of the guys around him. Jordan is getting better and knows his role. Griffin is soft and inconsistent, much like Bosh.

Is Miami's core better? Sure. But is the Clips core average? No. All game changers.

So if the point is that Griffin and Jordan won"t beat the lakers in a series. I agree. But CP3, bledsoe, billups, crawford, and butler will. So they should still be feared. For this season anyway.

The Clippers should definitely be feared. Any team with a win streak that large should be feared, just as any team with a losing streak that large should be laughed at.

I'm not sure what this means... "Lebron is a superstar, but only a champ because of the role players he had, who he elevated". I guess the inclusion of the word "...but..." makes it seem like you're downplaying his ring a bit or something.
JGC

Postby 432J on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 pm

there's no doubt the clippers should be feared

they've won 17 in a row and counting and have by far the deepest team in the league
432J

Postby DarthRekal on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:32 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
DarthRekal wrote:

"shenannigans" ?? Whoa!! Easy Darth this is supposed to be a friendly forum for Lakers fans to all get together and discuss issues in a gentlemanly and gentlewomanly manner. No need to get so nasty and abrasive about it...... Wow! :man10:

lol .. sorry LT ahaha :jam2:

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby DarthRekal on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:34 pm

JGC wrote:
DarthRekal wrote:

Actually, you're right. I had the stat confused.

There have been a total of 16 other instances of teams having winning streaks of 17 games or more. The stat I confused it with is that only 3 teams in NBA history have ever recorded a perfect, undefeated month.

Even still, to do something that has only been done 16 times in the history of the league is impressive. And to think they have only allowed more than 100 points just THREE times in that span, and won 11 of those 17 games by 12 points or more. Wow. Sickening. Ugh.

And what do you mean "way too many 20 game win streaks for it to happen only 3 times"? There have only been 3 streaks of 20 or more. Haha.

i over exaggerated lol.. i just remember the rockets.. the bulls and the spurs... i know we got a good long streak i think in 03 or 02 .. point was.. i know it was more than three :man10:

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby v1n5anity on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:32 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Pau is soft. What has he done in the playoffs since 2010? Nothing.

So then so is Kobe, Ron, Drew, LO and all the other guys on the team that got swept out of the playoffs? Are you saying Pau was not soft in 2010? Calling him soft is rediculous. THe guy is one of the main reasons we have back to back Championships. How easy Lakers fans forget.

Give him a break. He was probably 10 years old back then. :man10:
v1n5anity

Postby ThizGuy83 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:40 pm

clippers winning... lakers barely hovering around .500... starting in january and from then on... we will start seeing how the teams are really going to be... as a laker fan... i hope lakers can start improving and have some long winning streaks and especially wins against quality opponents... and more so on the road... as for the clippers... i have a feeling they may have peaked way too early... i honestly dont see how they will get any better as other teams start clicking later on in the season
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:57 pm

V1n5anity wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Pau is soft. What has he done in the playoffs since 2010? Nothing.

So then so is Kobe, Ron, Drew, LO and all the other guys on the team that got swept out of the playoffs? Are you saying Pau was not soft in 2010? Calling him soft is rediculous. THe guy is one of the main reasons we have back to back Championships. How easy Lakers fans forget.

Give him a break. He was probably 10 years old back then. :man10:

Wow love this place......heavy cannon shot across the bow. :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby revgen on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Hmm...Revgen... Not sure if serious....

you can say the same thing about the Hheat - 3 star level players surrounded by a bunch of over-the-hill vets. Yet those are the best teams in the league right now. It is a good mix, and like with the Heat and the 08 Celts, everyone had bought in and sacrificed for the team and they are fun to watch, and have bench players that can't be guarded by most teams' back ups -- Bledsoe and Crawford.

They also have several former lakers who are hungry and who are good teammates for a championship team -- Barnes, LO, Ronny (all with significant playoff experience), plus Chanuncey.

I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about for the future.

To me, "taking a backseat to the Clippers" implies that the Lakers are going to be 2nd fiddle for a long time to come. I don't see that happening. The Clippers aren't built the way Golden State and OKC are. If OKC or Golden State were in LA, then I could understand the "starting to take a backseat" argument. Those teams are comprised of young players in the starting lineup and coming off the bench that could be around and contending for a very long time. I don't see that with the Clippers.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:20 pm

Hate to say it with MDA as our coach, but look at all those Phx teams with great regular season records.. I don't believe in the Clippers until they do it on the big stage.. If they take us or OKC out this year, they'll have my respect next.. We still have Kobe, Pau, Ron, Dwight, Nash in our core with tons of playoffs/finals experience between them.. When it's all on the line, I trust our guys to crush the paperclips.
lakersin4

Postby laker911 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 am

laker911

Postby thisbjgz on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:29 am

lol some of you are seriously downgrading how good the clippers have been. yes only 4 of their 17 wins were +.500 teams but any teams that go on a 17 win streak and is 25-6? Is not a joke or a fluke. Their team has great chemistry, great commordity. They are having fun. To say they have no future is laughable. It's time people recognize the greatness of CP3. He simply raises the level of players around him. He makes Blake Griffin (whom I hate the most out of any player because I think his game is disgusting, his post game is flawed and I just hate his ginger face) I hate deandre Jordan, think he acts tough and overreacts when he makes an alley-oop. But aside from these things, they are deep, they are dangerous, they play with an edge and swagger. And they have a huge upside in improving. Seriously, lol saying the clippers are great and dangerous and a better team than the lakers doesn't make us lesser of laker fans. c'mon people.

BUT, I will say when and if we are healthy, we can beat these clippers in the playoffs. But they are obviously the better team right now
thisbjgz

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:19 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
tigerjeterkobe wrote:

:man3: Wow.

I wouldn't say favored or the better team ... Floppers may be the most difficult matchup for OKC in the West regardless of their current winning streak ... they are fast and athletic enough to stay with the Thunder ...
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion