Are the Lakers are on a 3-5 year plan?

Are the Lakers are on a 3-5 year plan?

Postby SCOOTERP10 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:37 am

First, why did they give Kobe, who was come off a major injury at age 35, such a huge contract and for two years? Why didn't they wait to see if he was going to be able to play first?

My thoughts;

#1 Kobe puts butts in the seats. Just hid name does. Having Kobe Bryant listed on the roster ensures that no matter how bad the rest of the team is season ticket sales will still be there even if he can't play or plays very little.

#2 If they didn't get him signed before the trade deadline Kobe would know they aren't trying to win now and would not have resigned with the Lakers as a free agent. He would have gone to a contender for a lot less.

#3 Signing Kobe the way they did was not only an investment, but also a way to save salary cap space. They won't give out any long term contracts to anybody other then superstars, (i.e. Lebron or Love) or young players on smaller contracts. Then in year two they will have all that Kobe money on an expiring contract. Of course if Kobe is healthy he will want to leave to play for a contender. They could trade him for the right deal or keep him (ala Pau) and use the cap space on a super star free agent. The way Kobe was talking during halftime last night I wouldn't be surprised if he got fed up and retired. He said something to the effect of not wanted to be part of a Jim buss rebuilding project.

#4 They won't fire Coach Dantoni. They won't be in it for championships anytime soon anyways and Dantoni ball is entertaining. They put up a 51 point qtr yesterday with a bunch of journeyman NBA players and the house was sold out. Dantoni ball is here to stay. They are going to build a team of Dantoni type players through the draft and free agency. Even with scrubs Dantoni ball is fun to watch.
SCOOTERP10

Re: Are the Lakers are on a 3-5 year plan?

Postby TIME on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:13 am

SCOOTERP10 wrote:Dantoni ball is entertaining... Even with scrubs Dantoni ball is fun to watch.

Your post was doing fine until this part. You lost me here. I will give you that the Harlem Globetrotters are entertaining and "fun to watch", except when you are the Washington Generals and are giving up 130 ppg.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:31 pm

its fun to watch for maybe 10 minutes.. then the team gets beat down and it just becomes sad
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:41 pm

There is no plan. Dwight Howard was the plan, and that went out the window. Now the FO is making move to move(like the Kobe contract) to appease fans. I'm sorry, but so far the Jim/Jeanie led Lakers are pathetic, and they run this team like it's 1995. Little to no analytics, giving away first round picks like candy, over spending on the wrong players, and failing to understand the CBA.

I'm still baffled why they didn't unload everyone on the team when it was obvious before the trade deadline that this season was lost. In turn we ended up with just enough talent to win us too many meaningless games, shooting ourselves in the foot right before a great draft that is about 4-5 guys deep. Does Jim still think he can just sign everyone he wants? Is the Laker FO failing to realize the value of a prime talent like Jabari Parker on a rookie contract?
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:54 pm

why is this opinion a new thread, stick it somewhere, but its nothing ground breaking.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:05 pm

Frank Dux wrote:There is no plan. Dwight Howard was the plan, and that went out the window. Now the FO is making move to move(like the Kobe contract) to appease fans. I'm sorry, but so far the Jim/Jeanie led Lakers are pathetic, and they run this team like it's 1995. Little to no analytics, giving away first round picks like candy, over spending on the wrong players, and failing to understand the CBA.

I'm still baffled why they didn't unload everyone on the team when it was obvious before the trade deadline that this season was lost. In turn we ended up with just enough talent to win us too many meaningless games, shooting ourselves in the foot right before a great draft that is about 4-5 guys deep. Does Jim still think he can just sign everyone he wants? Is the Laker FO failing to realize the value of a prime talent like Jabari Parker on a rookie contract?

Everything above.
Savory Griddles

Postby John3:16 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:39 pm

3 - 5? No. 13 - 15.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Ah .... even the revered holy man Jerry West was not immune to this talk.

Heck, no one is. How soon those young whippersnappers forget it took West *9* years to return to the Finals between the last Magic-led team to get there and the first Shaq-led team. Along those lines it took Sharman 7 years from the last West-Chamberlain Finals appearance to Magic-Jabbar's first. And that only happened because Jerry Buss had the brilliant foresight to force the drafting of Magic behind the brilliant trade Sharman made to get the pick that would ultimately result in Magic.

It's a bit harder now. In case you didn't notice.

So yeah, team is on a 3 to 5 year plan from here. No choice. They signed Kobe not only out of loyalty but also to put butts in seats while they figure out the bigger picture and to prevent Kobe from jumping ship in search of number 6 once he figures out the 3 to 5 year plan.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby trodgers on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 pm

I have to agree with TIME. I honestly can't stand to watch the Lakers right now.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby sister golden hair on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

trodgers wrote:I have to agree with TIME. I honestly can't stand to watch the Lakers right now.

Agreed. It's the NBA equivalent of Arena football.
sister golden hair

Return to Lakers Discussion