Are the Lakers making a run at a sign &trade?

Are the Lakers making a run at a sign &trade?

Postby adamkingadam on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I just read the Larry Coon CBA blog and with the Metta amnesty, this brings the Lakers under the Luxury Tax apron of $75 million (assuming Kaman and co. Have not put pen to paper yet.

It is my understanding nba minimum contracts do not count against the cap so this will leave the lakers with the ability to do a sign and trade.

Monta Ellis is still out there and not getting the offers he wants. Maybe Monta Ellis in a S&T for 8million one year for Blake and hill and/or Meeks?

Could this work?
adamkingadam

Re: Are the Lakers making a run at a sign &trade?

Postby slimjim on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:07 pm

adamkingadam wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I just read the Larry Coon CBA blog and with the Metta amnesty, this brings the Lakers under the Luxury Tax apron of $75 million (assuming Kaman and co. Have not put pen to paper yet.

It is my understanding nba minimum contracts do not count against the cap so this will leave the lakers with the ability to do a sign and trade.

Monta Ellis is still out there and not getting the offers he wants. Maybe Monta Ellis in a S&T for 8million one year for Blake and hill and/or Meeks?

Could this work?

hey Adam,

The luxury tax threshold this season is actually $71.748M not 75M, so we are going to pay luxury tax regardless of Artest amnesty or not.

Either way, yes...assuming the both parties agree, a S&T is possible.

With that in mind... I don't want Monta. :man10: :man10:
slimjim

Postby jlkr on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Still think the Lakers cannot do incoming S&T, only outgoing. Believe outgoing S&T was talked about as an option during the D12 speculation.
Some try to tell me
Thoughts they cannot defend...
--Hayward
jlkr

Postby slimjim on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:26 pm

jlkr wrote:Still think the Lakers cannot do incoming S&T, only outgoing. Believe outgoing S&T was talked about as an option during the D12 speculation.

Oh, just found this.

Starting in 2013-14, teams more than $4 million above the tax level cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction.

I think we are less than 4 mil above the tax level with artest amnestied.
Last edited by slimjim on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slimjim

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Gerald Henderson!
But we'll need a 3rd team to supply the 1st rd pick.
D.B. Cooper

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Nah, no Henderson. There's a reason why the worst team in the league doesn't mind getting rid of him.

Really, with only 11 guys in our roster we need to add more players, not trade others--unless it's a 1-for-2, but we don't have the personnel to do that. I'd like to trade Steve Blake, but something tells me of our three headed PG monster he'll probably be our best defender (not saying much: he's an average defender, but compared to the other two...). I also like Jordan Hill has an underrated backup type with really good rebounding ability. So it's hard to see a sign and trade, even though I sure wouldn't mind sacking Blake and getting Roddy Beaubois to replace him.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:16 pm

I hope so, especially if they can upgrade & also get a player who will still expire & let us keep our flexibility next summer.
lakersin4

Postby revgen on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:31 am

rydjorker121 wrote:Really, with only 11 guys in our roster we need to add more players, not trade others

Yeah, but MDA only plays 8 guys, so adding players really doesn't mean much.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:49 am

revgen wrote:
rydjorker121 wrote:Really, with only 11 guys in our roster we need to add more players, not trade others

Yeah, but MDA only plays 8 guys, so adding players really doesn't mean much.

+1

He's worse than Mike Brown with no rotation and overuses the vets.
BadCoaching

Postby Magic Skywalker on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:17 am

While its true we "can" receive a player vía S&T now, it is honestly impossible.

As slimjim stated, the luxury tax is at $71.748M, making the apron at $75.748M. Lakers Team Salary right now is $74,519,921, so yeah, we are under the apron but the problem is that the new CBA states that you must be under the apron AFTER the trade, which means that we can only receive $1.28M (aprox) on a S&T.

Well, I suppose the Gerald Henderson trade would be possible if the Bobcats want Blake and Henderson is willing to come to the Lakers for $5M.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby last stand on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:44 am

Magic Skywalker wrote:While its true we "can" receive a player vía S&T now, it is honestly impossible.

As slimjim stated, the luxury tax is at $71.748M, making the apron at $75.748M. Lakers Team Salary right now is $74,519,921, so yeah, we are under the apron but the problem is that the new CBA states that you must be under the apron AFTER the trade, which means that we can only receive $1.28M (aprox) on a S&T.

Well, I suppose the Gerald Henderson trade would be possible if the Bobcats want Blake and Henderson is willing to come to the Lakers for $5M.

so it's not impossible

but it'll be tough. and who is out there worth trading for?

for example monta ellis. i doubt they accept anything less than pau who at this point is untouchable. would they accept hill, blake, meeks?

and even then that's only about 9 million in total. is that enough for ellis?

now i'm sure there are other players they may be looking at. it's odd that they've left one position empty, almost completely
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Magic Skywalker on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:04 am

Yes, it's not impossible... I actually got thinking after I wrote that first line. At the beginning I just thought about receiving someone giving nothing in exchange.

So yeah, I got wrong on my first sentence, and then actually corrected myself afterwards :man10:

The important thing is that we can't receirve more than those $1.28M, which means we almost have to compensate the full salary of whoever comes here.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:01 am

Would have to be a really good player for us to cut into our 2014 cap space significantly.. I think if we make a S&T it's either to unload Nash's salary or swap Blake or Hill for a role player in that price range that they like more..
lakersin4

Postby rock0100 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:13 am

lakersin4 wrote:Would have to be a really good player for us to cut into our 2014 cap space significantly.. I think if we make a S&T it's either to unload Nash's salary or swap Blake or Hill for a role player in that price range that they like more..

I, and I know I will get flamed for this, would try to sign Monte OR Jennings at 2 years 5 - 6 million per year. I know it eats cap space for next year, but either of those at that price is a great bargain.

I can see Jennings considering that if Milwaukee let him walk but Ellis would want more.
rock0100

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:16 am

Jennings would love to be home, but we don't really have assets to get him that kind of money.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby rock0100 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:03 pm

therealdeal wrote:Jennings would love to be home, but we don't really have assets to get him that kind of money.

Blake and Meeks. Though I would only see Milwaukee doing it if they get Teague and if they could use Blake and Meeks to fill out their roster and meet the minimum salary reauirement. We have no other assets except for cash and offering them the right to swap draft picks this year.

Maybe they would want Hill but im not sure I would want to send out Hill.
rock0100

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:30 pm

There's no way they S&T Jennings away for Blake & Meeks without a 1st attached.. & there's no way Jennings takes that low of a starting salary either, it'd be less than 6M. Make it Blake & Hill & maybe the Bucks listen, & maybe Jennings accepts that offer (in the 8M range). That's still a bargain for a guy who is young & can give you 17/6.. I'd hate to lose Hill, but hopefully we could include Meeks & get the Bucks to give us a big back, Henson or Udoh.. I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. Even if he doesn't fit, Jennings is a much more valuable asset than Hill & those expirings.
lakersin4

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I'd still like to get a SF. Blake for Rush would be great!
Lakerjones

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:58 pm

We have 10 people signed on the roster as of now for ~75.5 million. We need at least two more roster spots to be filled to be at the minimum allowed. That puts it at 77.5 million roughly.

The salaries of Blake (4 million), Hill (3.6 million) and Meeks (1.6 million) equal ~9.2 million.

We aren't signing and trading for anyone significant because we aren't going to trade all 3 guys.

I can see Meeks and Blake being traded for some role player that makes 2-3 million dollars a year, but not anything more than that.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Return to Lakers Discussion