are the lakers starting to take a backseat to the clippers?

Re: are the laker starting to take a backseat to the clippers?

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:40 am

Until they win a championship............NO.
Jazzygirl205

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:25 am

JGC wrote:You may be right. But it won't be the same people. If the win streak is unimpressive, it has to be unimpressive no matter whose streak it is but it doesnt always happen that way.

The problem with win streaks and regular season records is that, even though it certainly plays a part in the post season and gives you an easier road to the championship, having the best record doesn't always equate to success in the post season. Look at San Antonio last year and Chicago the year before. Both those teams had the best record in the NBA going into the the post season, but got knocked out by the superior team. The Clippers are still very young and inexperienced, and are peaking way to early IMO. Heck the Spurs peaked at the PERFECT time (end of regular season/start of post-season) and they couldn't make it into the Finals.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Weezy on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:07 am

I realize the schedules are made before the season when it's not known how good or bad teams will be, but the Lakers played today at noon on ABC, probably the main game of the day or at least the 2nd biggest to the Heat/Thunder rematch. The Clippers, in the middle of a 13 game win streak, played on ESPN as the very last game at like 7:30 or something, an afterthought. So that's how they're thought of, good or not, always second in LA, never the big ticket.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LooN3y on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:54 am

someone needs to break their streak, it pisses me off when i see it when i look up the standings
LooN3y

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:09 am

I'll admit their little streak is nice, and they're a deep team, but take a look at that roster and tell me with a straight face they can win the championship. Remember the deep Nugget teams over the last few seasons? they did quite well in the regular season, but they weren't championship material. Chris Paul is a great player, but he's not a top flight playoff guy, and their second option is who, Blake Griffin? Good player, yes. But he's not a premier big in this league with his lack of a post game, and defense. I'm impressed with their depth, they have a great bunch of rotation players, and they're able to keep legs fresh. But championships are hard to come by for deep teams led by a point guard, with no superstar in the front court.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JGC on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:54 am

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:
JGC wrote:You may be right. But it won't be the same people. If the win streak is unimpressive, it has to be unimpressive no matter whose streak it is but it doesnt always happen that way.

The problem with win streaks and regular season records is that, even though it certainly plays a part in the post season and gives you an easier road to the championship, having the best record doesn't always equate to success in the post season. Look at San Antonio last year and Chicago the year before. Both those teams had the best record in the NBA going into the the post season, but got knocked out by the superior team. The Clippers are still very young and inexperienced, and are peaking way to early IMO. Heck the Spurs peaked at the PERFECT time (end of regular season/start of post-season) and they couldn't make it into the Finals.

Well, I don't think anyone (including me) was suggesting they're a shoe-in for NBA champs this season. I completely agree with what you're saying, I mean, if postseasons were won in the regular season, then there wouldn't be a need for playoffs.

I'm not sure however, if that means a win streak isn't impressive.
JGC

Postby halekulani on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:06 am

clippers are new
it's only going to be time before they fade into black

lakers are forever
halekulani

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:46 am

Ben Cafardo ‏@Ben_ESPN
#Lakers #Knicks delivers 5.9 overnight rating, the highest-rated NBA Christmas Day early game for a doubleheader ever on ABC
Retweeted by Ramona Shelburne
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby scissors on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 am

Clippers and Championships should not be in the same sentence. (Except for the one I just wrote of course LOL)
scissors

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:16 pm

scissors wrote:Clippers and Championships should not be in the same sentence. (Except for the one I just wrote of course LOL)

Unless the sentence is "The Clippers will never win a championship".
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby odom1year on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:02 am

They are still winning even Paul played fairly.
odom1year

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 am

it'll be a test for them in the playoffs when everything slows down. their halfcourt offense isnt all that amazing as their record is. their fast paced transition high flying game is what is winning them games but if you can slow them down thats when they struggle.

Matt Barnes coming off the bench for them has been huge. Jamal doing what hes been doing his whole career but now with way more freedom and way more efficiently. Odom rounding into shape now and playing pretty well considering last season even had a few double digit rebound games so far i think. Grant Hill hasnt played and Billips is still out.

There defense is very high energetic and full of chemistry already. They come in waves and are always fresh and attacking. Its a very deep team and theyre using all their peices. no one is getting left out...even turiaf is playing and well at that. There team will only get better as the year goes on and i expect their half court offense to improve. So for now the lakers are taking a backseat to the clippers when it comes to this years regular season. obviously overall they have to win a championship...but for now we are def taking a backseat to how theyre playing and winning. it'll be okc vs clips at this rate.
Ariza3

Postby Nashty Gal on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:22 am

I don't think so. the fact that we are a mess is a bigger story than the clippers winning streak. its meh, because its the clippers. so until they actually win something they are the jv team
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:26 am

Matt Barnes is playing extremely well for them. So far his numbers are:

10.6 PPG - Career high
1.3 SPG - Career high
1.7 ORB - Career high
0.9 BPG - Career high

50.0% FG - highest since 05-06 season
33.0% 3PT - same as last year BUT in 27 games so far hes made a total of 31 3-pointers (31-94). Last season in 63 games he made 46 total 3-pointers at 33% (46-138). so id say hes making WAY more than last year...and if you look at his first year with the lakers in 53 games he made a total of 34 3-pointers at 31.8% (34-107).

Their team is playing together and has bought into their system, style of play, and teammates. They just play hard for 48 mins and they win. CP3 leads the team the way a team should be led and we need that same leadership. 1) i cant believe we had CP3 and he was taken from us. 2) cant believe we let barnes go for Ebanks who isn't even playing now. We have a long ways to go beyond just improving our D before were better than the Clippers this season. And i hate the Clippers.
Ariza3

Postby Maluco Beleza on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:28 am

come on people. i dont even follow the clippers but they have an amazing streak going right now and they are freakin loaded. they have a team.
Maluco Beleza

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:33 am

Clipps have more of a shot than we do at the title vs other teams, straight face...unless we play them & eliminate them ourselves.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby The Rock on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:34 am

GoldenKnight wrote:Clipps have more of a shot than we do at the title vs other teams, straight face...unless we play them & eliminate them ourselves.

I want to face them in 2nd round. I think that we can take them in a 7 game series if it were to start right now, we match up well with them

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lqv2015 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:37 am

Funny how Clipps are getting more attention all of a sudden when they're winning. Am I the only Clipps fan on this board?
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 am

every blake monster dunk over someone is an offensive foul with his offhand. literally every huge one. he had one tonight which was a straight forearm to the face of sullinger i think. pau's was an straight punch to his face. perkins too. why dont they call it? bc the league wants highlight dunks which sell tickets. and then blake comes down thinking hes a bada** when ya you jumped high and dunked it but you also took out your defender without a whistle called against you everytime. its crazy....even when they show the highlights on sportcenter or post game its so blatant and kind of dangerous too. just saying...
Ariza3

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:44 am

they still suck
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 am

I don't even hate this team to be honest ... the roster is pretty cool , outside Ginger , Heliflopter and that scrub Hollins ..

They played tomorrow at Utah and have back to back games at Denver and GS next week ... the streak will end somewhere in these games
wcsoldier81

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:15 am

Lqv2015 wrote:Funny how Clipps are getting more attention all of a sudden when they're winning. Am I the only Clipps fan on this board?

Seems that you are :man10:
Ive always hated them but then they got Griffin and I started seeing how exciting the guy was/is and so I watched them last season more than ever & actually wanted them to do well, until they got CP3 & started winning.....I still root for them vs the Heat/Thunder but I still root for the Smeltics when they face each other.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby scissors on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:33 am

I say let the Clippers and the Clippers "fans" enjoy it while it lasts. Won't be long.
scissors

Postby JGC on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:58 am

If people thought a 13 game win streak was not impressive, and they thought a 14 game win stream was not impressive, surely they don't think a 15 game win streak is impressive right?

How many wins before it is impressive? Haha.
JGC

Postby gcclaker on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 am

Last night's win was quality especially considering who it was. The Laker 33 game winning streak is safe...at least for now.

:man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion