BIGGEST issue with PJax: Can Nash play in the triangle??

BIGGEST issue with PJax: Can Nash play in the triangle??

Postby kobeistheone on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:00 pm

My only concern.
kobeistheone

Re: BIGGEST issue with PJax: Can Nash play in the triangle??

Postby Tragic on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:01 pm

We will most likely play out of the triangle if Phil is rehired.
Tragic

Postby gill on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Pick and roll is part of the triangle playbook. He's let the players run it from time to time, especially when we first got Pau.

Nash is a HUGE benefit to the tri, considering how deadly of a 3 point shooter he is and will use the p-n-r much more effectively.
gill

Postby LakerFanIam on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Can this team learn the Tri fast enough too... Howard would be on a Fast learning curve.
LakerFanIam

Postby gill on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Phil's comments on this Lakers team earlier in Oct.

Quote:
“You want Steve to have the ability to have the ball with confidence that he is doing the right thing and feeling like he can run the team, and getting the ball to Kobe in critical situations is important because that’s what his best role is standing out in the moments of crisis or the moments that are critical. And the inclusion that you have to have to make (Dwight) Howard feel a part of it. So all those guys have to find a little role. …”
gill

Postby The Rock on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Yea Im not sure about this as well. We had Gary Payton and well he didnt play to his strengths much. Its a valid concern

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:11 pm

LakerFanIam wrote:Can this team learn the Tri fast enough too... Howard would be on a Fast learning curve.

it worked fine when phil first started back in 1999-2000. they won 67 games and the championship running a makeshift triangle for the entire season.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby trodgers on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:13 pm

The Rock wrote:Yea Im not sure about this as well. We had Gary Payton and well he didnt play to his strengths much. Its a valid concern

GP wanted to score. Nash wants to make plays. It is a huge difference in mindset I think.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby juninho on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:18 pm

nash can be main facilitator like pippen was in bulls. But we need a shooter at sf.
juninho

Postby The Rock on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:19 pm

trodgers wrote:
The Rock wrote:Yea Im not sure about this as well. We had Gary Payton and well he didnt play to his strengths much. Its a valid concern

GP wanted to score. Nash wants to make plays. It is a huge difference in mindset I think.

Fair enough but you gotta put players in position where they can be involved in whats going on. At times GP just stood in the corner and watch Kobe/Shaq do their thing thats it.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 pm

juninho wrote:nash can be main facilitator like pippen was in bulls. But we need a shooter at sf.

I THIK THATS OUR BIGGEST DOWNFALL WE DONT HAVE A CONSISTENT SHOOTER AT THE WING METTA IS JUST UGLY OUT THERE EVEN WIDE OPEN SCARES ME :man10:
PurpleNGold1

Postby davriver290 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm sure phil would allow some freedom, like he did when pau first got here.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:27 pm

The Triangle is not too different than the Princeton Hybrid we were trying to institute. It's obviously a little simpler and less busy, but it's certainly not far removed.

I'd rather we go in a direction that's more straight forward. I'd rather we go with Sloan's offense or D'Antoni's offense.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby themasterphil on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Triangle won how many championships???? I dont care , just bring that offense here, nash is intelligent so he will figure it out
themasterphil

Postby dj vitus on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:16 pm

He can damn well shoot; that's for sure. :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby BDG on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:20 pm

I think the Lakers would be able to break from it and run pick & roll with Nash/Dwight or Nash/Pau from time to time.

When Kobe/Dwight/Pau get the ball in post position, Nash would be a great spot shooting threat who also could attack the basket if the defense closes out too strong.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:28 pm

I've been asking for months and got no reply. This guy makes a post and everyone says something.
The Laker Link

Postby GoldHammish on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:33 pm

The Laker Link wrote:I've been asking for months and got no reply. This guy makes a post and everyone says something.

:man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6:
GoldHammish

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:38 pm

:man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:57 pm

No disrespect to anybody...but is this really being discussed.

Are we really questioning if Phil can't make Nash work in the triangle? People really don't know how the triangle is run then.

Plus Nash is 38 and why the heck would people want to endanger one of our key cogs by going up and down the court in 7 seconds or less. Also, isn't Steve injured right now? When he gets back, do you really want to put all the offensive duress on him. Phil will not run a strict triangle with this personnel and that was very obvious when we had athletes here like Ariza and Shannon Brown. Plus there is plenty of PnR and the two man game in the triangle.

I love Nash and I want him to do well, but he's getting up there in age and we ideally want him to play about 28-30 minutes a game. So what about the time when he's off the court? What happens to us if we run an offense based off of Nash's ball control and he gets injured....then what?

Lets not forget what the triangle did for Shaq....[satire] wouldn't it be great if we had a 20 something year old athletic freak that can dominate down there like Shaq did....oh wait! [/satire]
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:14 pm

What Vash said, absolutely. The triangle would be fine for Nash, just like Kobe and Pau used to play P&R in it so could Nash and Pau or whoever else. It would also greatly benefit Howard's game as he'd always be getting the ball down low, and we of course know how Kobe does in it. Nash though, don't think he wants to run an entire offense himself anymore, so yes the Triangle would work for him. He would still have the ball in his hands and have more freedom than he did with this so-called "Princeton" offense.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:21 pm

gary payton wasn't much of a shooter as well though, and was always known to be selfish.

besides phil isn't one to micromanage. he'll figure it out imo
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Maluco Beleza on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Nash better do whatever phil wants. Phil > Nash any day
Maluco Beleza

Postby gcclaker on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:54 pm

From the interview...Jackson has already assessed what he can do with the current personnel with regards to each specific piece including Nash and Howard. With him not being totally removed from the game, his keen eye and constant inner thinking will adapt immediately to the game even without training camp. The familiarity with the core [i.e. 24, Gasol, Peace] is obviously a huge plus.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:12 pm

When we went 16-1 in the post season back in 2001, Derek Fisher shot over 40% from 3 (over 50% in some series). Steve Kerr, John Paxson, Ron Harper, BJ Armstrong....these guys all benefit from having played in the triangle because all they had to do was dribble up the court, read the defense and then spread the floor from the corners.

Steve Nash is the biggest shooting weapon at the PG position in the league. If we get him as many open looks as Fisher often got, then LOOK OUT. Gary Payton was a great SCORING point guard, but he was never really a spot up shooter or accurate from the outside. His skillset was not a match for the triangle. Steve Nash is one of the most accurate shooters of all time, he can THRIVE in an off ball, spread the floor role as the triangle point guard.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion