Boozer Discussion: Kupchak - going to have a great year (10)

Re: Carlos Boozer Discussion: Welcome to LA Carlos

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:37 am

He and Sacre will be admiring each others tats in the shower. :man1: Just don't ever bring tat freak Chris Anderson here. I get so much crap from my wife and mom-in-law every time he shows up in a game. Me personally I hate his neck art. :disagree:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:43 am

Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina · 15m
Carlos Boozer says he's "very confident" he can play at a high level

Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina · 14m
Carlos Boozer says he "absolutely" sees himself as a starter with the Lakers

Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina · 12m
Carlos said he's talked to Kobe a lot. Of course Kobe stressed about the need to be ready

Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina · 9m
Carlos Boozer on playing Lakers with Utah in playoffs: "It was frustrating. We wanted to beat them."

Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina · 8m
Boozer says he feels like a "spring chicken." He believes he can play 5, 6 or 7 more years

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter · 19m
Boozer said he's "very confident" about getting back to his peak level, that he's been "working his butt off" this summer.

KEVIN DING @KevinDing · 25m
Kupchak on amnesty bid for Boozer: "Not for a second did we think that he’d be available to us. ... I know he’s going to have a great year."

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter · 16m
Boozer said he feels comfortable playing either the 4 or the 5; expects to rotate there to maximize court time/effectiveness.

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter · 14m
Boozer praised young bigs Julius Randle and Ed Davis ("studs"). Versatility is key to Boozer, as all have to be open to diff. lineups.

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter · 11m
Boozer, who is 32: "My body feels great."
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 am

Booz is not old at all. He just needs to go back to running P&R, this time with Lin. That's his bread and butter. They went away from that in CHI, at least to some degree. Also, he should be a good mentor to Randle.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby frankdtank on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 am

I am expecting a very decent year from him.

32 min 16 pts 9 rbs 3 ast. Just shy career averages for pts & rbs, but ast up a bit.

What do you guys think?
frankdtank

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 am

I think Boozer could have a really good year and surprise a lot of people. We're already used to soft big men with Pau, so I don't imagine that will drive us crazy. And in his worst season he still averaged 13 and 8, I will take that for what he's paid over what Pau gave us for 20 mil for sure. I think he will put up slightly better numbers than that with this roster though.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 am

KEVIN DING @KevinDing · 25m
Kupchak on amnesty bid for Boozer: "Not for a second did we think that he’d be available to us. ... I know he’s going to have a great year."
I read this as "we thought the Bulls were bluffing when they said they'd just amnesty Boozer if we didn't S&T Pau"
LakersN4

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:20 am

karacha wrote:Booz is not old at all. He just needs to go back to running P&R, this time with Lin. That's his bread and butter. They went away from that in CHI, at least to some degree. Also, he should be a good mentor to Randle.

Yeah, I pointed this out before. Chicago saw Boozer's 20 and 10 and assumed he was a creating type of player. Whereas his stats were attributed to DWill and his playmaking. Chicago expected him to be a post scorer and while Derrick Rose is a beast, he's more of a 2 guard than a PnR guard. Same situation as Amare.

He should fit better here.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby frankdtank on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 am

And really he had career lows due to the Bulls style of play. Points % to team average almost identical to Pau. and 1 less rb with less oportunities, not to mention Boozer played next to Noah.

Right there with you, bottom line almost the same production for 17 mill less! :man4:
frankdtank

Re: Boozer Discussion: Kupchak - going to have a great year (10)

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:25 am

Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina · 8m

These two quotes jumped out at me. That sounds gooooodd to me. Hope it's true, as to have an effective (to his strengths) Boozer at the 4 or 5 would not suck. :jam2: :jam2:

"Boozer says he feels like a "spring chicken." He believes he can play 5, 6 or 7 more years"

Mike Trudell @LakersReporter · 19m
Boozer said he's "very confident" about getting back to his peak level, that he's been "working his butt off" this summer.
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:33 am

Can he stay healthy getting beat up by Julius every day intent on taking his job? :man10: Against shorter lineups I wouldn't mind some Booze at the 5 and Randle at 4. Or throw Kelly in as a stretch 5. :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:35 am

I definitely think we'll get a good season out of Booz.. Contract year where he's trying to convince teams he has 5+ years left in the tank.. He's going to play his heart out.
LakersN4

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Boozer is a solid addition. Decent back to the basket game, good mid-range shooter, can finish with both hands around the rim; in limited minutes, he could be pretty effective.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:54 pm

LakersN4 wrote:I definitely think we'll get a good season out of Booz.. Contract year where he's trying to convince teams he has 5+ years left in the tank.. He's going to play his heart out.

Boom nailed it.

Boozer is going to give us a big boost and while we lamented Gasol for the past few years who gave similar production, we're going to enjoy Boozer's because he'll make less than a fifth of what Gasol made last year.

I think we'll see a really motivated Boozer. Still a below average defender, but a good leader and a productive offensive player.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby frankdtank on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:28 pm

^^^ I was thinking the same thing. He is 32! He has one more OK contract left in him before he hits the 35 plus, vet min stuff.
frankdtank

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:36 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
karacha wrote:Booz is not old at all. He just needs to go back to running P&R, this time with Lin. That's his bread and butter. They went away from that in CHI, at least to some degree. Also, he should be a good mentor to Randle.

Yeah, I pointed this out before. Chicago saw Boozer's 20 and 10 and assumed he was a creating type of player. Whereas his stats were attributed to DWill and his playmaking. Chicago expected him to be a post scorer and while Derrick Rose is a beast, he's more of a 2 guard than a PnR guard. Same situation as Amare.

He should fit better here.

Very good points by Karacha and lakerfan2. I was in favor of getting Booz as a plan B and I'm glad it came to fruition. It puts less onus on Randle in his rookie year and gives us a solid scorer to play alongside Kobe and Lin - and those guys should be a lot better at getting him looks in his spots than what he had in Chi Town.

Booz is still a very capable player. And at this point he's a heck of a lot more motivated to keep his spot as a Laker than Pau was over the past three seasons.

I like this move a lot.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Dude better not starting pouting like Pau if he's not starting. If Randle shows he can play at this level, the job is Randle's to lose, not the other way around.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Randle will wear him out in practice trying to take that job too. I will bet it gets a little chippy at times. Scott is going to have to monitor and be fair with the competition for starting PF. If it was Phil, forget it no competition. I hope Byron is better than that.
LTLakerFan

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Dude better not starting pouting like Pau if he's not starting. If Randle shows he can play at this level, the job is Randle's to lose, not the other way around.

Why?

Boozer is still a capable vet and is ready to produce. Randle has zero experience so far. He needs to fight and improve his game, show that he deserves that starting spot if he wants it. It's not anybody's spot to lose, it's Randles spot to EARN. Rookie dues.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:35 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Dude better not starting pouting like Pau if he's not starting. If Randle shows he can play at this level, the job is Randle's to lose, not the other way around.

Why?

Boozer is still a capable vet and is ready to produce. Randle has zero experience so far. He needs to fight and improve his game, show that he deserves that starting spot if he wants it. It's not anybody's spot to lose, it's Randles spot to EARN. Rookie dues.

Yeah I kind of agree with this. I wanted Randle to start when there was nobody else there, but the more I've thought about it since Boozer signed the more I think Boozer fits better in the starting lineup for now.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:36 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:

Why?

See bolded.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:37 pm

I don't think it will be an issue. In Chicago his only real issue was that he wasn't happy playing the 1st and 3rd quarters and not finishing games because he's competitive. Even then he didn't cause trouble about it, he only voiced that of course he wants to be on the floor in the 4th, but that's the coach's choice. He might not be thrilled if he doesn't start here, but he doesn't seem the type to make trouble about it. If Randle proves to be not quite ready to finish out games and Boozer gets to do that here as the veteran guy, I'd think that would mean more to him than starting.

I think if Randle genuinely shows the coach in practice that he deserves the start, I think he'll get it and Boozer will be a pro about it, because he's still going to get a good amount of pt with Randle being a rookie. Randle will tire out, probably hit that rookie wall, he will have foul trouble games as a rook, Boozer will get his time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:41 pm

One thing that worries me is Boozer saying he feels comfortable playing the 5. That's now Ireland and him mentioning that. Two people in the Lakers organization. Boozer at the 5 is a disaster. He's an undersized 4, let alone 5. If we are finishing games with Boozer/Randle/Swaggy/Kobe/Lin, we are going to get crushed inside. Like...demolished. :scurred:
Savory Griddles

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Weezy wrote:

I don't think it will be an issue. In Chicago his only real issue was that he wasn't happy playing the 1st and 3rd quarters and not finishing games because he's competitive. Even then he didn't cause trouble about it, he only voiced that of course he wants to be on the floor in the 4th, but that's the coach's choice. He might not be thrilled if he doesn't start here, but he doesn't seem the type to make trouble about it. If Randle proves to be not quite ready to finish out games and Boozer gets to do that here as the veteran guy, I'd think that would mean more to him than starting.

I think if Randle genuinely shows the coach in practice that he deserves the start, I think he'll get it and Boozer will be a pro about it, because he's still going to get a good amount of pt with Randle being a rookie. Randle will tire out, probably hit that rookie wall, he will have foul trouble games as a rook, Boozer will get his time.

Boozer's comments....

"I think I should be out there," Boozer said "But it's [Thibodeau's] choice. He makes the decisions out there, so I play, I don't coach. He coaches. So he decides that.

"But honestly, he's been doing that a lot since I've been here, not putting me in in the fourth quarter. Sometimes we win; more times than not, we don't. But that's his choice.''

Boozer's actual production...

In 116 fourth-quarter minutes, Boozer is shooting just 40.0 percent from the field, by far his worst mark of any quarter (not counting overtimes). Meanwhile, Gibson is at 49.0 percent in 451 fourth-quarter minutes.

Gibson has a net rating of 0.9 in the fourth quarter, while Boozer's is -7.0. Want more? Boozer is generally terrible when the game is close, shooting under 40 percent when the score is within five points. Gibson is at 47.0 percent in those situations this year.

Sounds a lot like Pau. Passive aggressive complaining with no production to back it up.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:One thing that worries me is Boozer saying he feels comfortable playing the 5. That's now Ireland and him mentioning that. Two people in the Lakers organization. Boozer at the 5 is a disaster. He's an undersized 4, let alone 5. If we are finishing games with Boozer/Randle/Swaggy/Kobe/Lin, we are going to get crushed inside. Like...demolished. :scurred:

Boozer was careful to say it depends on the kind of lineup they would do that with.

I'm guessing they're thinking of those times when Birdman is your Center or something and the PF is LeBron or Carmelo. Then you're talking more about a small ball lineup and I'd be more understanding in those situations.

Very seldom though should Boozer be the 5... very, very, very seldom...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:02 pm

That's all he said though, Doc. I don't remember seeing him pout on the bench in the playoffs, or continuing to complain about that all season like Pau. It was one statement and it didn't seem to hurt the team. I don't know, I guess I'm just not that worried about it. Boozer seems pretty professional overall, competition for playing time within a team can be a good thing, and above all else, this is still Kobe's team and I think he's pretty good at letting guys know their roles. If Kobe and Byron are on the same page I feel everyone else will fall in line pretty well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion