Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby Weezy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:52 pm

I think pro athletes are just a different breed. The ones that win titles have spent almost their entire lives practicing and playing to be good enough to get to that point, they're filthy rich, just a different lifestyle, and the celebrations seem to fit that. I just think that all the work that goes in, for years and years and years, when they win, it's the ultimate feeling, the ultimate celebration of all that work paying off, and they let loose. Might look weird to us, but I feel it's because we just don't know what it feels like to be these people. There really isn't anything else out there to compare winning championships in pro sports to, there's not really anything that has so much money put into it by owners and fans, and so much work put into it by the people involved, it's like a world of it's own, if that makes sense.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
JGC wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:If I was a Miami fan I'd be furious with Bosh's comments. Sure the Lakers probably are the team to beat on paper, but we haven't proven a damn thing. Miami still the team to beat until someone dethrones them. For Bosh to admit that especially when you're the defending champions is just moronic. You should feel like you're the team to beat. Stupid comment.

I didn't think it was stupid. He's just throwing in a built-in excuse. If Miami wins again, he can say, see, they might have been the best on paper but we were actually THE best. If we win, he can say, see, they had the best team on paper and we're going to have "get back to work" to get back on top or some other cliche.

I mean, what exactly is he supposed to say? That we shouldn't even bother putting a team out on the court this year because they're the defending champs?

Champions don't make excuses. All he had to said was something along the lines of "Listen they improved their team and will be a very good basketball team, but we're the defending champs. We upgraded our roster too and we're the team to beat until someone knocks us out"

Now the Lakers know that Bosh fears them. That's not a good thing.

He did say something along those lines. He said the Lakers were "probably" the best on paper but that the season is very long and that he thinks Miami has a speed & athleticism advantage. What is wrong with what he said?

I think you just want him to say what YOU want him to say. I didn't see any "fear" in what Bosh said, per se. Was he shaking in his boots when they did this interview or was he just wearing tennis shoes? Come on.

I actually think that the reason some people seemed peeved by the comments is because anyone who acknowledges how good of a team we are, the pressure shifts back on us. I mean the same guy who said that we haven't proven a darn thing, is probably talking in other threads about how all we need to do is not get injured and we win.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:42 pm

JGC wrote:
He did say something along those lines. He said the Lakers were "probably" the best on paper but that the season is very long and that he thinks Miami has a speed & athleticism advantage. What is wrong with what he said?

I think you just want him to say what YOU want him to say. I didn't see any "fear" in what Bosh said, per se. Was he shaking in his boots when they did this interview or was he just wearing tennis shoes? Come on.

I actually think that the reason some people seemed peeved by the comments is because anyone who acknowledges how good of a team we are, the pressure shifts back on us. I mean the same guy who said that we haven't proven a darn thing, is probably talking in other threads about how all we need to do is not get injured and we win.

I agree with this.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby John3:16 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 pm

From what I saw (very limited), Bosh took the loss to Dallas the hardest -- collapsing in the hallway near the locker room after game 6 in tears. Some laughed at him, but I had no problem with it. Showed how much he put into it. We all give him crap, but I respect Bosh. Like him a whole lot more then Bron or Wade.

So, while the celebration looked very feminine and was funny (to me at least), I was happy to see him celebrate knowing how hard the loss the year before affected him.

As for his comments, as I said, it's refreshing. Everyone else is acting like it's no big deal. F that. What Mitch accomplished is HUGE. On par with the Gasol acquisition. Any other GMs pulling off heists like this? Pat Riley did it with his big 3 in Miami and they had a parade before the season. People need to give Mitch and Buss their due. At least Bosh is. I can't hate him for it.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:01 am

All he said was that on paper the Lakers look like the best team. And he stressed that point, on paper only. And he's right.
Lets Go Lakers

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion