Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby JSM on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:27 am

Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel wrote: It's been two weeks since the Los Angeles Lakers acquired Dwight Howard from the Orlando Magic, which at least has given Chris Bosh time to collect his thoughts.

"As soon as the deal happened, my brain went 100 miles an hour to another place, far away from here," the Miami Heat forward said Friday during a radio appearance on WQAM.

And now that he has collected his thoughts, where does he view the Lakers in terms of his own championship team? His candid answer caught hosts Steve Goldstein and Adam Kuperstein a bit off guard.

"The Lakers, I think, right now, I mean on paper, they probably have the best team in the West and probably the league right now," he said. "On paper. I'm saying on paper. But it's a lot, a lot, it's a long season. And the best team always isn't the one who starts out the season as the best team.

"We know we're the champs, but we have to start off from scratch. We have a lot of chemistry building to do. And we have to come out there and we have to start over. We know favorites and all that stuff really doesn't matter."

Bosh said the Heat have learned to deal with the type of pressure the Lakers are expected to face and "how the hype can get to you."

Bosh pointed out how the Heat stood as championship favorites in 2010-11, only to fall in the NBA Finals to the Dallas Mavericks, and how they did not have quite the same expectations and then defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder in this past season's NBA Finals.

"It's all about who's standing at the top in June, after the season is over, and that's all we care about," he said. "So we have to build toward that again."

While he declined to predict where the Heat would stand at season's end, he said an NBA Finals against the bolstered Lakers would be intriguing.

"It's even better to think about we can possibly play them in a classic series one day, with everything on the line," he said, "but that's a long ways away."

He said it is difficult not to envision something special with Howard, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol playing together.

"It's very intriguing, especially not only with Dwight but with Steve, them signing Steve and everything, so it'll be interesting just to see what type of offense they run, what their philosophy is going to be," he said. "But we have our own things we have to get better at, and we just have to concentrate on ourselves. But we will be watching them, that's for sure."

Even with the Lakers' height, Bosh said it doesn't necessarily mean the Heat abandoning the approach that had Bosh at center and LeBron James and Shane Batter at power forward during the playoffs.

"Well, we won a title doing it. It's all about chemistry," he said. "It's all about how you can work together. They're going to have strengths and weaknesses, we're going to have strengths and weaknesses, too. And over the course of a season, I believe we make great adjustments and we can do a lot of different things.

"We're one of the most versatile teams in the NBA. So, I mean, we can play small, but as long as we win that rebounding battle, that's all that's important. With that said, they're a very big team, but we're very fast, so something's got to give."
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94033
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:45 am

Yeah good luck putting Bosh down low on Howard and expecting him to rebound well. Or putting Battier on Gasol and expecting him to beat Pau on the glass. They're going to be crushed down low. And with our offense running smoothly through Nash/Kobe, we're not going to be giving them many fast break opportunities.

Good Bosh, be scared!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:48 am

small ball aint gonna save you against the Lakers, silly dinosaur
.
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
User avatar
pound4pound1

 
Posts: 6345
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am
Location: 818 LAKER NATION

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:51 am

I give him credit here for being honest and not sounding butthurt or delusional like the OKC and Floppers players
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby Murdock on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:28 pm

decent article ... gotta agree on paper we look good ... I mean Heat looks good to but we are more all around team, traditional in a sense ... but on paper our starting five is just scary
User avatar
Murdock

 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:33 am

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby LakerFan1980 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:30 pm

We have the best team....PERIOD!
WE PAY CASH FOR HOUSES
424-216-8525
User avatar
LakerFan1980

 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:42 pm

therealdeal wrote:Yeah good luck putting Bosh down low on Howard and expecting him to rebound well. Or putting Battier on Gasol and expecting him to beat Pau on the glass. They're going to be crushed down low. And with our offense running smoothly through Nash/Kobe, we're not going to be giving them many fast break opportunities.

Good Bosh, be scared!


They would put Lebron on Pau and Battier on MWP or Kobe. They are definitely screwed when it comes to D12, but if Pau can't take on the likes of Faried/Harrington, he's not going to dominate Lebron. He will get outworked to every spot on the floor.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Yeah good luck putting Bosh down low on Howard and expecting him to rebound well. Or putting Battier on Gasol and expecting him to beat Pau on the glass. They're going to be crushed down low. And with our offense running smoothly through Nash/Kobe, we're not going to be giving them many fast break opportunities.

Good Bosh, be scared!


They would put Lebron on Pau and Battier on MWP or Kobe. They are definitely screwed when it comes to D12, but if Pau can't take on the likes of Faried/Harrington, he's not going to dominate Lebron. He will get outworked to every spot on the floor.

Well the point is no one can handle Dwight. If they have LeBron on Pau, they can't guard Dwight and they certainly can't guard Kobe or Artest.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:33 pm

I think they will put Lebron on D12, Bosh on Pau
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby thkthebest on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:36 pm

They're most likely going to put Bosh on Dwight. I think LeBron actually admitted that he can't guard Dwight, which is why the Cavs didn't put him on Dwight during the 09 playoffs.
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby Tragic on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:42 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:I think they will put Lebron on D12, Bosh on Pau


Switch it around.
User avatar
Tragic

 
Posts: 7501
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:09 pm

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:12 pm

thkthebest wrote:They're most likely going to put Bosh on Dwight. I think LeBron actually admitted that he can't guard Dwight, which is why the Cavs didn't put him on Dwight during the 09 playoffs.

True, but Bosh doesn't have enough in his back pocket to do enough against Dwight. He's going to get bullied. On the other end I can see Bosh having some success against Dwight because he can take him off the dribble and space the floor for LeBron and Wade.

Bottom line is if they want to try to put Bosh on Dwight, Bosh is going to be in early foul trouble and then they're going to be in trouble.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby trodgers on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:31 pm

It's probably true, but I suppose there's enough pressure on Miami to try to repeat. Trying to repeat as the well acknowledged "best on paper" is even more pressure.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Shaq said it best, "you're the RuPaul of big men." That's what D12 will make Bosh look like on the court. We're going to destroy the Miami LeBron's.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
Image
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
User avatar
Lakeshow24

 
Posts: 4634
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby Weezy on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:06 pm

I would have to say Bosh is right here, we probably do have the best looking team on paper. Whether that remains true in reality we'll have to wait and see. On paper we have the best starting lineup in the NBA, but half of our key guys are also really old (Kobe, Nash, Jamison), so injuries could be a factor. The Heat being the defending champs you still have to call them the team to beat, but yes on paper we look like the best team IMO.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby OX1947 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:03 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:I think they will put Lebron on D12, Bosh on Pau


Who's guarding Nash or Kobe then? hmmmmm, no one is beating the Lakers if there isnt an injury.
OX1947

 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby noobiew on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:29 pm

I can't wait to see Dwight dropped 20 pts, 20 rbs on him.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
User avatar
noobiew

 
Posts: 5593
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:55 am

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby 432J on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:31 pm

OX1947 wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:I think they will put Lebron on D12, Bosh on Pau


Who's guarding Nash or Kobe then? hmmmmm, no one is beating the Lakers if there isnt an injury.

injuries are the ONLY thing that will keep LA from winning a title

unfortunately that's what happened to the '04 team. injuries to key players at bad times
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby shaq_hater on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Bosh lobbying to come to the Lakers. He gettin tired of all the propss Lebron amd Wade are fetting when hr should be getting the most.
MY GUY IS AWESOME BECAUSE HE HAS 5 RINGS.
User avatar
shaq_hater

 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:51 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Yep, injuries are the key. I hope Mike really manages Nash and Kobe well, not just minute-wise, but interns of keeping them in low-risk situations.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Hollywood

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:46 pm

If I was a Miami fan I'd be furious with Bosh's comments. Sure the Lakers probably are the team to beat on paper, but we haven't proven a damn thing. Miami still the team to beat until someone dethrones them. For Bosh to admit that especially when you're the defending champions is just moronic. You should feel like you're the team to beat. Stupid comment.
Image
User avatar
Texas Lakers Fan

 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 am

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby JGC on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:59 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:If I was a Miami fan I'd be furious with Bosh's comments. Sure the Lakers probably are the team to beat on paper, but we haven't proven a damn thing. Miami still the team to beat until someone dethrones them. For Bosh to admit that especially when you're the defending champions is just moronic. You should feel like you're the team to beat. Stupid comment.


I didn't think it was stupid. He's just throwing in a built-in excuse. If Miami wins again, he can say, see, they might have been the best on paper but we were actually THE best. If we win, he can say, see, they had the best team on paper and we're going to have "get back to work" to get back on top or some other cliche.

I mean, what exactly is he supposed to say? That we shouldn't even bother putting a team out on the court this year because they're the defending champs?
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:19 am

JGC wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:If I was a Miami fan I'd be furious with Bosh's comments. Sure the Lakers probably are the team to beat on paper, but we haven't proven a damn thing. Miami still the team to beat until someone dethrones them. For Bosh to admit that especially when you're the defending champions is just moronic. You should feel like you're the team to beat. Stupid comment.


I didn't think it was stupid. He's just throwing in a built-in excuse. If Miami wins again, he can say, see, they might have been the best on paper but we were actually THE best. If we win, he can say, see, they had the best team on paper and we're going to have "get back to work" to get back on top or some other cliche.

I mean, what exactly is he supposed to say? That we shouldn't even bother putting a team out on the court this year because they're the defending champs?

Champions don't make excuses. All he had to said was something along the lines of "Listen they improved their team and will be a very good basketball team, but we're the defending champs. We upgraded our roster too and we're the team to beat until someone knocks us out"

Now the Lakers know that Bosh fears them. That's not a good thing.
Image
User avatar
Texas Lakers Fan

 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 am

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby TXLAKERFAN on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:35 am

We may have the better starting line up on paper, but the bench is a no contest. Miami is better after you get pass the starting line up IMO.
<a><img></a>
Image
User avatar
TXLAKERFAN

 
Posts: 10760
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Bosh: Lakers have NBA's best team 'on paper'

Postby John3:16 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:41 am

His honesty is refreshing. Much better than CP3, Durant, Harden, and everyone else downplaying our offseason.
Image
User avatar
John3:16
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 31870
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.