BREAKING NEWS: Lakers Sign Their Big Man!

BREAKING NEWS: Lakers Sign Their Big Man!

Postby Kobes#1Believer on Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:52 pm

The Lakers have made a conservative move and signed Mr. Jamal Sampson :freak2: (drafted from Cal in the second round by Utah) off of the waivers or the Milwaukee Bucks. I hope they sign a more legitimate center though. Someone on the lines of DC would be better.
Here's the link:
http://news.lycos.com/news/story.asp?se ... yId=767081
Kobes#1Believer

Postby Deacon Showtime on Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:22 pm

I think that Jamal could be a good addition bcuz he is till very young and he can be taught a lot from playing with SHAQ and the Mailman! Jamal and BCOOK could be the Lakers backcourt of the future :man1:
Lakers 4 VIVA :jam2:
Deacon Showtime

Postby Danny Ainge on Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:34 pm

How do you know that Jamal is any good though?
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby LaKeRsDyNaStY on Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:08 pm

backcourt of the future eh? -_- FRONTCOURT

and this could be a good gamble if sampson turns out good

size/youth/athletic this is exactly what we need
LaKeRsDyNaStY

Postby LakerFan1972 on Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:07 pm

Jamal Sampson - pre-season camp filler ... How much potential does he have if Milwaukee waives him before their 3rd summer league game.

"Although the Milwaukee Bucks have talked up their current youth movement, second-year center Jamal Sampson will not be part of it. ... waived Sampson on Thursday before the start of their third summer league game in Orlando. ..."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/jul03/154150.asp

Has done nothing in the NBA so far but does have potential:

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/jamalsampson.htm

Bottom Line: Lakers still should be looking for their backup big man. If the Lakers want to add a young big man with potential, I think they have one or two that looked promising on their summer team in Leon Smith and Eric Chenowith. However, they should concentrate and pickup an athletic veteran big man.
LakerFan1972

Postby self made on Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:22 pm

i really think he was just signed for a preseason tryout since laker management wasnt able to see him in the summer leagues, i still think the lakeshow should go toward chris andersen or eric chenowith. but i like the pick up of sampson, he's young and as potential, i would like to see what will happen in the preaseason. and if it doesnt work out they could always just waive him
self made

Postby Zenmaster5 on Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:41 pm

i was reading in the NBA news & Rumors forum that DC has supposedly agreed to a contract, 2 yrs 2mill, and the vet min the second year...has anyone heard anything about this? or is it just a rumor?
Zenmaster5

Postby echo nation on Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:15 am

i think its a good pickup... its non-garanteed contract... we'll see how he in in preseason

as far as a veteran... i like the idea of an experienced player... but not DC... we can live w/o him thanks
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby Laker brain on Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:04 am

We can live without DC, I would like to get a 3 maybe Jim Jackson.
Todays minimum is yesterdays maximum!
Laker brain

Postby echo nation on Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:08 am

why do we insist on big names?

lol

what about Ed O'Bannon?
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby LakerFan1972 on Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:16 am

Laker brain wrote:We can live without DC, I would like to get a 3 maybe Jim Jackson.

He would be a nice pickup. I would think getting him away from the Kings would be good too. The Kings really depended on him last year and they just traded Turk to the Spurs (still don't see how the Kings would trade with the Spurs ... that is just wrong). Also, what if D. George gets injured early in the season were backed to what we faced in the plays ... a team without a starting SF. Yes, we could move Kobe to SF, but that I don't think you would wan't to do that for very long.

Like to see the Lakers pickup a PF/C like maybe Chris Andersen and a SG/SF like Jim Jackson. Probably not going to happen, but those would be really nice pickups and complete our roster.

Ed O'Bannon?
LakerFan1972

man

Postby LakersFan2003 on Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:41 am

LakerFan1972 wrote:
Laker brain wrote:We can live without DC, I would like to get a 3 maybe Jim Jackson.

He would be a nice pickup. I would think getting him away from the Kings would be good too. The Kings really depended on him last year and they just traded Turk to the Spurs (still don't see how the Kings would trade with the Spurs ... that is just wrong). Also, what if D. George gets injured early in the season were backed to what we faced in the plays ... a team without a starting SF. Yes, we could move Kobe to SF, but that I don't think you would wan't to do that for very long.

Like to see the Lakers pickup a PF/C like maybe Chris Andersen and a SG/SF like Jim Jackson. Probably not going to happen, but those would be really nice pickups and complete our roster.

Ed O'Bannon?

Man, so many dreamers in here. LOL. Why do people think Jim Jackson is going to play for $1.5 million? We're not going to trade any players and a miracle happened in Malone/Payton for $6.4 million (keep in mind, Arvydas Sabonis who plays like 15 min/game makes more than those two guys combined.... he makes $7million). Very few players are going to take the $1.5million, let alone players who are going to make a major impact.

Plus, we have plenty of players who can step in for Devean if he gets injured. We have Rick Fox, who will be healthy by January. We have Luke Walton, who is a rookie, but should be able to dump the ball into our 4 starting superstars. Also, Phil may elect to play Kobe at the 3, and play with two guards in Fisher and Payton. Trust me, with what we've got now, we're just fine.
LakersFan2003

Postby echo nation on Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:32 pm

whats wrong with ed obannon?

the guy was tight
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby Deacon Showtime on Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:46 pm

Mah bad about saying bakcourt of the future i was trying to jus get my point across that he will be a good addition once he can be taught a little more under PJ and with shaq showing him the ropes. I mean he is a big strong guy that will be able to jus spell shaq for like wut 5 minutes.Thats all we need him for. And wut to Lakers dynasty for catching my bad call.
Lakers 4 VIVA :jam2:
Deacon Showtime

Postby SWOL on Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:25 pm

echo nation wrote:whats wrong with ed obannon?

the guy was tight

key word ...... WAS
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:28 pm

And he never made it at the NBA level, he was just a bust.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby echo nation on Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:14 am

seriously yall need to read my posts with slightly more sarcasm in mind

anyway, Charles O Bannon was better anyway

need a 4 anyone?
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby echo nation on Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:15 am

wait.. apparently WE need the 4

LETS GET CHARLES O BANNON!
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:46 am

Jamal should have stayed in Cal for atleat three years before going pro.

Going to the NBA after his freshman year was a big mistake in his part.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby SWOL on Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:03 pm

charles was an undersized 3 ......... 6'6
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby echo nation on Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:22 pm

gotta love the ironies
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby FabFourLakers on Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:56 pm

Didn't Sampson go to Mater Dei High School?

I remember him playing against Santa Margarita high school and he was DOMINANT

I think he would be a great pick up for the Lakers, since Campbell is signing with Detroit and Philly wants Coleman back and they can probably offer more money than tha lakers can

I think we have some great back up guys like cook and slava but we really need madsen back now that horry is gone and samaki is definetly not coming back
FabFourLakers

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:00 pm

as long as he is better than samaki walker, he is ok with me

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:33 pm

The pros on Sampson is that he is young, comes cheap and he wants to prove something in his hometown. Seriously...moving from Cali to Milwaukee...that would affect anyone's play...but now that he is back home he will be happy playing for a champion and hungry to prove his worth on the team...because that could get him signed next year for more money. He also has Shaq which is dying to have a pupil to teach things to...case and point..Soumali Samake.

The cons obviously is he is not season or playoff tested. He only played 5 games last season and he is not a true center.

But lets make no mistake about it...I don't care if his talents fail to meet Samaki Walker's but as long as he has the right attitude and is hungry and aggressive, I'll take him. In training camp, we have to pick between him or Chenowith and lets gun for a precision shooter and a scrappy defender like Peeler and that should be the end of our summer.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Laker brain on Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:48 pm

Maybe he'll play better in front of his homies.
Todays minimum is yesterdays maximum!
Laker brain

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion